• Published 14th Apr 2014
  • 1,187 Views, 28 Comments

The Most Beautiful Sound - Caineachu



Your name is Vinyl Scratch, and you've just heard the most beautiful thing in the world...and it just so happens to be the mare playing her cello on the stage in front of you.

  • ...
4
 28
 1,187

It's A Pleasure To Meet You

You quickly trot along backstage, not having any real idea of where your destination is, but not stopping your hoofsteps. You just keep peeking into most of the rooms you come across, not caring if you stumble in on anything you're not supposed to see, which you do several times.

However, your multiple intrusions and all the time you've spent looking for her leave you no closer to finding the mare. It's quickly leaving you a bit steamed, and you're losing hope in finding her at all. You let out an irritated growl, almost stomping your hooves with each step.

How damn hard is it to find this cellist? You'd think I'd have found her already-

Your thoughts are suddenly interrupted as you bump into somepony, and you fall back onto your flank, your eyes closed and a hoof rubbing your head. "Ow...hey man, sorry about that."

"Think nothing of it." You blink your eyes open at the voice, looking down at the pony a mere foot or two away from you, who's also on her flank and rubbing her head. However, her shining purple eyes are open, and looking back at yours. That small smile is back on her face. You can feel your heart stop, and you clear you throat, trying to say something that isn't stupid.

"...Octavia?" It wasn't the dumbest thing you've ever said, but you still felt like a moron.

"That would be me, yes." She got back onto her hooves, holding her foreleg out to you. You grip it with your own hoof wow her fur is really soft and you're helped back up. "And who would you be?"

Suddenly, it's like you forgot your own name. You stumble over your words like a filly talking to her schoolyard crush. "Uh...Vinyl. I...I'm, um...Vinyl Scratch."

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you, Vinyl Scratch." Her smile seems to warm after she says your name, and it only makes your heart pound faster. "But if you don't mind me saying, you probably shouldn't be back here. I don't recall you being a part of the performance at all...in fact." Her smile turns into a small smirk. "I'm fairly certain I saw you in the front row today."

"Uh...well, yeah, I was...but I had to. Uh. Come find you?" All of your social graces seemed to be leaving you right now, and you were honestly surprised she was still talking to you at this point. You mentally cursed up a storm until a small giggle interrupted your thoughts.

It was Octavia who giggled, and you realized that you wanted to listen to that sound for the rest of your life. "I take it you liked the concert, then?"

Those sparkling eyes were making it really hard to think straight, and you tried to stammer out another answer. "Yeah. I...I really loved it. I...You were amazing up there." It took all of your self-control not to gush out all your feelings right there. "I don't even usually listen to music like this, but you're amazing on stage, it's like you...like you own the place. You're amazing."

You swear you see a faint blush on Octavia's cheeks as she waves a hoof at you and laughs. "Oh, Vinyl, you flatter me." She looks at you, a questioning look on her face. "You know, I figured this kind of music wasn't what you normally listen to, what with a name like 'Vinyl Scratch,' anyway. What do you usually listen to?"

At this point, you want to lie to her and say something that sounds a bit more refined and impressive than what you really listen to and create, but you can't bring yourself to lie to her. So you say the truth. "Well, I, uh...I mix a bit, here and there. Mostly club scene stuff. Electronic and heavy bass and all that, you know."

To your surprise, she doesn't immediately scoff at your taste in music. "Ooh, that sounds rather exciting! You'll have to let me hear some of your songs some day."

You blink, and then you suddenly blurt out something that you've said dozens of times in situations like this. "Yeah, we could go to my place and listen to some tracks."

Your heart stops dead in your chest, and you can feel the sweat on your brow. Did you seriously just invite her back to your place after just meeting her? Of all the stupid things to-

"Alright."

You pause, your train of thought derailing. "Huh?"

"I said alright. After this concert, a night just relaxing with somepony sounds rather refreshing." She smiles at you again, and you catch yourself smiling back. "We could exchange numbers and such, and meet up at your house later on."

"I...Yeah, okay!" You can't help but let the excitement flood out, and you hover your cell phone out of your saddlebag and into her outstretched hoof. She gives hers to you, and you both enter your numbers into each other's phones before giving them back. "Talk to you later, then?"

"Indeed you will." She walks on past you before pausing, turning to look back at you. "I'll see you tonight, Vinyl Scratch." And with that, she walks away, leaving you grinning down at your phone like a crush-ridden school filly.

----------

"You what?!"

Painted Prize was staring at you from the doorway. You, meanwhile, were sitting on the couch in your living room, almost gushing with the previously hidden excitement of an hour or two earlier, which was now flooding out of you.

"I told you, we talked backstage and I got her number and she has mine and she's coming here later!" You throw your forelegs up into the air, grinning from ear to ear.

Your friend is still baffled, however. "Yeah, I got that part, but...I'm still stuck on how. And why, actually. How'd you pull it off, and why'd you bother?"

"Well, to be entirely honest, I have no idea. I was an awkward piece of shit the whole time we talked." You shrug. "Maybe she found it cute or something?" You hesitate at the next part, though. "And through her whole song...man, this is gonna sound so stupid, but it felt like she was playing for me up there. She kept looking down at me, and I kept lookin' right back at her, and her eyes...I just felt something, Painted. That's why I had to find her."

Painted Prize leans against the doorway, a small smile playing at his lips. "The first time I take you to a classical music concert, you go and fall in love for the most popular cellist in Equestria, and even get her to come to your house that same night. I gotta say, out of all the things I thought would happen, this wasn't one of them."

"Hey dude, I didn't think anything like this would happen, either." You lean back against the couch, just about to relax a little when your cell phone buzzes on the coffee table. You jump from the sudden sound, leaning forward to look at who's calling. Your stomach does a little flip. "It's her!"

Your friend is ever supportive. "Well, answer it, you idiot."

You take a deep breath before hitting the green button with a hoof, raising it up to your ear. "Hey Octavia. What's up?"

"Hello, Vinyl. I was calling to ask when you would be ready to meet up tonight, since I'm open for the next few hours."

"Oh uh..." You glance over at the clock hanging on the wall across from you. It says it's not even 2 pm yet. "Um. How about 7? There's this little coffee shop a bit away from my house, we can stop there first, get a drink or somethin' if you want." You still can't believe this is actually happening.

"7 it is, then. What is the name of the coffee shop?"

"Oh, it's Donut Joe's. It's downtown, you can find it no problem."

"Alright. I will be there." There's a pause from both of you, and it seems to drag on way too long before she speaks. "I look forward to seeing you later, Vinyl." Before you can wipe the giant grin off your face, she hangs up, and you're left holding the phone up to your ear like a dumbass.

Painted Prize looks over at you. "So? What's goin' on?"

You let your foreleg drop down next to you, turning to him. "I got a date with Octavia."