• Published 14th Feb 2019
  • 285 Views, 16 Comments

Owner Of A Lonely Heart - AlwaysDressesInStyle



Rarity's gone through a number of crushes over the years. As told via a series of diary entries.

  • ...
 16
 285

Entry 36

Dear Diary,

So Spike. He's had a crush on me since the moment he laid eyes on me years ago. I've taken advantage of that once or twice. What? Don't look at me like that, Diary. You're a book. You shouldn't be looking at anything. Fine, I admit I take advantage of Spike all the time. Less nowadays than I used to, but he's growing up. There are other things for him to do now then hang around Carousel Boutique and offer to do things for me.

And there are other dragons to spend time with too. There's Ember and Smolder. I don't know anything about dragon ideals of beauty, but they're both female and they're both only a smidge older than he is. While I'm ancient compared to him. When did I get so old, Diary?

He's...almost old enough now. At least by pony laws. Dragon culture is so radically different than our own. I've seen what Spike looks like when he grows up. If a dragon can grow up that quickly just by increasing the size of his hoard, then truly there's no real way to accurately gauge a dragon's age. But that also turned him into a nearly mindless beast, consumed entirely with acquiring more and more.

While I don't doubt his love for me, I can't get over the species difference. I do love Spikey-Wikey. He's a sweet dragon. But he's a dragon. Someday he's going to tower over me. He'll be so big he won't fit in a normal house (or a boutique). He'll be so big he might not even notice that he stepped on me. Furthermore, he'll live for thousands of years, while I'll shrivel up and die in another century.

It wouldn't be fair to Spike to saddle him with an old nag like me. Sometimes the hardest part of love is letting go.

Love,
Rarity