• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 768 Views, 14 Comments

Rough Landing: A Desert Geek's Experience of Equestria - DrZed



A Modern-day Renaissance Man meets Equestria the hard way. Diamond Dogs, Really?

  • ...
6
 14
 768

Building Bridges: Deep Rumblings

I lay back and close my eyes.. till I hear her stirring.

Rarity looks over at me, her pupils still pinpricks, still scared, and whispers, “You... You can talk?”

I remain still, one eye opening just a little to see her, “Yes.”

She lifts her head and crosses her forelegs in front of her, “Why haven't you before?”

I sit up, glancing out the bars for signs of any witnesses, “Why would I want to waste my words on those mongrels? Better they think of me as a dumb beast."

Rarity nods, “Very true.” She then tilts her head slightly, "Why me?"

I look over at her, “I am a friend to ponies, despite my strange appearance. We are working together. You're the first one they've left untended near me. " I tilt my head at her, "And you look like you really need a friend.” I finished in a soft voice..

She blinks, still clearly frightened, but relaxes a little. “Thank you. It doesn't mean I trust you yet, but thank you.”

I nod, “Understood, I am a strange seeming creature from what i've seen of the locals. My name is... Cedric.”

She gives a small smile. “I am Rarity, Ponyville's premiere dressmaker. My friends must be looking for me by now.”

I nod, “They must be. You're an important mare.”

She blinks, “How do you know that?!” She tenses up, and draws back.

I give a small smile, “Nopony else has been given the 'monster' treatment yet, and... your gem finding skill is very impressive.”

She blushes slightly, gives a small smile and brushes at her mane with a hoof, “Why thank you.”

I nod, “More than welcome. You have nothing to fear from me.”

Rarity moves closer to the center of her cell. She seems to be getting more comfortable around me already. A little flattery doesn't hurt.

I stretch. “It's probably best we get some sleep. They'll be expecting more of the same tomorrow. Please, keep this our little secret.”

I grin, "Oh, and what did they call it? Whining?" I wink at her. "Let him have it in the morning, I wanna have a little fun with him."

Rarity giggles softly, “Ooh! I will... Cedric.” she settles her chin on her hooves and closes her eyes, a content smile on her muzzle.

-------

*CLANG CLANG* "GET UP! TIME TO WORK!" Asshole at his best.

I glance over at Rarity and give her a wink.

She smirks, returns it, She rises to her hooves and approaches the gate to her pen, " You uncouth HOUND! You DARE put me in next to this creature! I'll have you know ...."

I slowly stand up as Rarity tears the little cuss a new one verbally. I gotta admire the fire in her.

Asshole is crouching next the door of my cage, paws over his ears, I hear a whine escape from him.

I'd almost feel sorry for the little shit if I hadn't had to deal with his short temper since I got here.

"And another thing...." Rarity takes another breath.

I stretch, eliciting several deep pops from my back. They say sleeping on a flat surface is good for the spine. Bullshit.

Asshole manages to somewhat recover and smacks the bars with his stick, "STOP YOUR WHINING!"

Rarity leaps upon that, "Whining? That's not whining. This is whining..." She cranks it up to 11, letting fly with an agonizing stream of complaints that would shatter glass (if any were nearby).

I practically see Asshole's eyes bug out of his head like a chihuahua getting squeezed to hard. His paws are clamped over his ears and I can hear other dogs down the passageways howling in pain.

After about a minute, I step toward the cage door, giving it a swift kick, making it rattle and shocking Asshole out of his stunned state.

Rarity gets the signal and ceases her tirade, hiding a grin behind her hoof.

Asshole cringes, then shakes himself out, "Beast wants to get away from whining as much as I do."

I glare down at Asshole a low grumble coming from my throat, expectantly waiting....

Asshole's eyes widen and he quickly opens the cages. "Time to work!"

---

Another tunnel, Another cart full of gems to dig out.

This time Rarity is less skittish around the 'Ape Beast' as the dogs have come to call me.

I've listened to the rumors that have spread about me, Diamond Dogs have some imaginations.

She and I work together, finding and digging gems from the walls. Hard labor, yes , but less painful with a companion.

We are led to another stretch of cavern, already pretty mined out looking. Rarity looks about with some trepidation, knowing her mineralogy skills I suspect she notices the cracks in the cavern wall as well.

Rarity lights her horn and points out a large cluster in the wall near the crack, "ohh that's not a good idea." She turns and starts scanning further down.

I start to follow her, when I feel a familiar sting across the backs of my legs.

Asshole points at the spot with the stick, "DIG!"

A glance at Rarity has her shaking her head. Another smack of the stick, and I just barely hold back from whacking Asshole with the pick axe, Instead I plant my feet, ready the pick axe like a bat and strike the crack in the wall with a powerful swing.

A loud crack sounds as the stone splits further, then a deep rumbling noise. The cave we are in starts to shudder ... dust drifts down from overhead.

The dogs, as well as Rarity and I glance around... small rocks begin shifting and falling as well.

Asshole shouts, “CAVE IN!” and bolts, his tail between his legs

Rarity looks up, stunned, her eyes go wide. "No...."

I'm already moving in her direction, I loop an arm under Rarity's barrel, lifting her up, I start running, small stones bouncing off my back, as the ceiling starts to fall. Dust begins to fill the air, making it hard to breathe.

Rarity screams.

I run as fast as I can, carrying Rarity against my chest, away from the falling rocks, and the choking dust.

Finally the rumbling ceases.

I slow to a walk, breathing raggedly, still cradling the white unicorn against my chest.

She notices her position and a blush crosses her muzzle. "I think we can stop now, dear."

Exhausted, I drop to my knees, putting a hand to the cave floor, then gently lowering Rarity to her shaky hooves.

After she regains her hooves, she looks up at me, “Thank you, Cedric. You saved me back there”

Panting, I cough and take a few breaths, clearing the dist from my lungs. “Miss Rarity, I made a promise to myself I would protect you."

Rarity's expression softens and she touches a hoof to my hand. "Just call me Rarity, darling."

I smile and sit down, leaning against the wall and Rarity settles next to me, both really glad to be alive.

---

We hear the skitter of claws as the stick wielding mutt runs up. I clam up and watch him approach.

“Ape Beast saved Annoying Pony?” he glances back and forth between the two of us incredulously.

Rarity huffs, “He certainly did more than you!”

Asshole growls and raises the stick.

Rarity blanches (hard to tell on a white pony) and cringes , a whimper escaping her throat as she gives a shudder.

I will not tolerate it.

The mutt swings, and I reach out an arm and take the blow intended for the white mare. I give the dog a withering glare and a deep growl.

He yelps and steps back, fear on his face, then recovers, growling. Infuriated the mutt smacks me in the arms and back several times. “Ape Beast is good digger, Annoying Pony find gems. Take them back to their cages!” he shouts to two of the guard bulldogs who came running up.

---

I'm leaning against the back wall of my cell, rubbing the bruises on my arm. That little bastard can really swing a stick..... Dogs and sticks, go figure.

One of the guards comes up, “Feeding time!” he brings out two bowls of the slop they call food. “Extra for Ape Beast for saving Annoying Pony.” he unceremoniously pushes the bowls through the cage bars, then proceeds down the hall.

Rarity looks at the gruel with distaste, but her stomach gives a growl...

I scoot forward, and glance at Rarity, “here.” I whisper, taking my bowl and pushing it though the bars between the cells. “Take what you want.”

Rarity cautiously steps over and uses a little of her magic to float a portion from my bowl over to hers. “I don't know how I can thank you for saving me.”

“You don't have to. I couldn't have left you there. Nopony deserves that.”

Rarity gives a small smile and settles down at her bowl. Trying to eat the tasteless mush as daintily as she can.

I bring mine back and quietly eat as well.

We finish our meager meals, settling back on the cold cave floor as the guard dog takes the bowls away

---

“Cedric?”

“Mm?”

“Tell me about yourself?”

I stretch and look over to her, she's settled in rather close to the bars between the cages, She looks up at me, eyes wide in the darkness .

I scoot closer to the bars myself. “My species calls itself Human. Before I came here I was a....” I struggle for a moment trying to find an analog, “Well I was a helper, I showed people how to use machines, and if needed I fixed it for them.”

“A repair pony?”

“Of sorts.”

She nods, “Thank you again, Sir Cedric.”

I nod "Just call me Cedric, or Ced." I settle back against the cold stone wall of the prison cell. Listening to water drip somewhere nearby.

A white hoof cautiously extends itself through the bars.

I glance at Rarity, she has a small smile on her dirt streaked face, a small ray of light in a dark and ugly place.

I lightly place my hand on the offerred hoof, and give it a gentle squeeze.

The hoof flexes and I feel her gripping back, “My hero.”

I blush though it's hidden by beard and dirt. “Anytime, Rarity, You're safe with me.”

She nods and smiles, she tries to stifle a yawn with her other hoof.

I settle back again, still lightly touching her hoof "Let's get some rest."

She settles her head on her other hoof, and before long both of us are asleep, huddled together, separated only by the bars of the cell.