• Published 29th Mar 2014
  • 1,376 Views, 20 Comments

Clear Truth: Ace Attorney - The Timed Turnabout - Dapper Guy



No matter how deep a lie runs, Truth will always set the innocent free.

  • ...
0
 20
 1,376

A Broken Bartender

-Classroom, Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns-
-13th Waxing Moon, 8:05 P.M.-

“Welcome Mr. Truth, I’m glad you’ve arrived unharmed,” an angelic voice said from behind him. Princess Celestia herself stood in front of the lawyer, her mane waving in an unfelt wind.

Truth felt his knees give out, Celestia, princess of Equestria, was addressing him. “Well I must admit, princess, I wasn’t sure if this was real or not,” rubbing the back of his head with a hoof. “Where exactly are we now?” The room was barren of anything on floor and the walls, not even windows for sunlight.

“An extra classroom at my school; it’s used for private examinations for students. I thought this would be best to have you come here instead of the castle.”

“Why’s that, princess?” the earth pony asked, it sounded odd she didn’t want anypony to know he was coming.

Celestia’s horn lit up in a golden light, a door creaked open behind them. “A murderer is loose in the city and my subjects are terrified.” Truth followed the alicorn out the door and into an empty classroom; rows of desks were placed into columns. A wooden podium was at the front of the room with a wooden desk next to it. “We’re closer to the detention center from here than we would be from the castle.”

Nodding his head, the pair walked down several flights of stairs, passing students and instructors. Some bowed out of courtesy, mostly students while the teachers merely dipped their heads. "Well, Princess Celestia, what can you tell me about the murder?" as they passed out through the front gates. "You're guards didn't give me many details."

“Only from what I've gathered from the police, which isn't very much at all," said the princess as they walked down the school's corridor. "An official press story was released under her orders but many of the more grim details had been omitted."

“When you’re guards came to get me, I never said that I would take this case,” remaining impassive as he talked to Celestia. “I want to meet this pony myself before I decide I want to defend him.”

“I see,” Celestia said, her voice slightly shaken. I can't have him back out, he's the only hope Pop's got left. “Well Mr. Truth, I’m sure that Pop is truly an innocent pony.”

[center-]Detention Center, Canterlot Police Station-
-8:15 P.M.-As soon as Truth entered the station, the smell of dark coffee and paper nipped at his nose.Why does every police station reek like this? grimacing from the pungent odor. It seemed even the police force were too busy to care that Celestia herself had walked through the doors of their station.

“Greeting princess,” a pony called out from behind a desk. A light blue unicorn mare with an auburn mane was busy typing away at a typewriter, her focus switching between the princess and Trust. “I’m sorry we’re up to our hooves in handling the press and the nobility are calling for higher security,” rubbing the side of her jaw.

“Thank you, but I’m actually here for Mr. Fizz Pop, I think I may have found somepony to defend him,” she said with a smile. The mare gave him a dejected look in response, “I’m sorry princess, but what makes you think he will be able to prove Pop’s innocence?”

Well I can see how my reputation precedes me, he thought throwing his eyes to the ceiling. “Is Pop free to talk right now?”

“Yes, but he hasn’t said much since he's been in, I don’t know if he’ll talk to you,” the mare replied with a bleak smile. “You can go on ahead, it’s just down the hall,” she said pointing towards a pair of swinging double doors. “He’s going to be in the visitor’s room soon, I’ll let the chief know that you’re here for him.”

Traveling down the hall, the princess and the lawyer walked to the end of a white hall, lanterns glowing softly as they hung from the ceiling. Doors with glass windows with labels on each lined the sides, some for interrogations while others were for left blank. Never seen a police station so clean before, usually there’s wrappers and junk lining the floors, he thought, as he observed his surroundings.

“Here we are.” Celestia abruptly stopped in front of a door, 'Visitor’s Room' plainly written on murky glass. Stepping through, the atmosphere shifted as a deep feeling of dread came over Truth. A thick glass window formed a halfway invisible wall in the room. The bottom half of the partition was made of solid stone, bolted seats a few feet away from it. On the opposite side, a cell made out of concrete, a barred window above for a flow of fresh air. Six small holes were drilled through the partition to allow inmates and visitors to talk as the guard watched over the conversation from his side of the room.

A sudden screeching of metal drew Truth’s attention, watching a pony walk through the open door with a guard close behind. A leaf green pegaus stallion walked up to the glass, pulling his head up to stare at Trust with tired, baggy eyes. A greying moustache and disheveled mane gave him a rather defeated look from beyond the glass, his eyes slightly puffy from held in tears. “And you are?” he croaked, even his voice seemed lifeless.

“Clear Truth, and I guess you’re Fizz Pop?” The pegasus only nodded his head in response. “Well I’m here because I heard you need a defense attorney and I think I may just be the stallion for the job,” he said hinting with pride as he said defense attorney.

Pop stared back at Truth then wondered over at Celestia and then settling back over at Truth. “I see, so, princess, you finally found somepony who will try to defend a dying old colt,” wings flapping uselessly at his side.

“Pop, please let us help you,” as she put a hoof up on the glass. “You couldn't have killed Aspect and Truth is here to prove it,” giving Trust a pleading look.

“I do have one thing to ask you before I decide to take this case of yours Mr. Pop,” he said, clasping the knot of his tie.

“Yes?”

“Did you kill anypony?” Truth asked, his hoof pressing against the knot with fervor. His eyes penetrating through the glass window. Celestia watched as his eyes seem to contort, the irises seeming to stretch and curve a little.

“No.”

The room was deathly quiet for a few moments. Even the guards didn’t even blink as Pop said no. Truth’s gaze never wavered from Pop as he sat there on the other side of the window. “Alright, I’ve decided to take your case,” he said with bravado.

“Wonderful,” Celestia chirped. “I’ll set up the paperwork for you to be the acting defense for tomorrow.”

“The trial is tomorrow?” Truth whipped around to look at Celestia in the eye. “Why is it so soon?”

Celestia sighed deeply, her mane seeming to falter and grey. “Since Pop’s arrest I’ve gone through each lawyer in Canterlot but each one refused to take on the case. It was by chance that I heard about your victory in court by today’s paper.”

I was wondering why she had gone so far out to find a lawyer, still why wouldn’t any of them not take up this trial? “Well I best hear it from you, Pop. Who exactly are you and how are you related to the crime?"he asked pulling out a notebook and a pencil from his pockets.

“I'm the owner of a bar in town and Clear Aspect was one of the colts who helped me in my buisness. As for how I'm related to the case, well. I was in the same room as Aspect when he was found dead,” Pop said in a defeated tone.

Truth reeled back in his seat, “You were inside the same room when he was killed?” Oh joy, I only think my heart stopped pumping.

“Yes I was at Aspect's manor, just doing business. His wife told me he was upstairs in his study,” scratching his chin in thought. “When I opened the door he was lying in a pool of his own blood.” He winced as he recalled the memory from the day of the murder.

“So he was already dead when you got there? Was there anypony else in the room?” The trial's going to be already finished as soon as if put one hoof in there.

“Sorry, nopony else was inside,” Pop said, a few pinions dropped from his wings on to the prison floor. “Aspect’s wife came to the room with a tray but as soon as she saw her husband on the floor, she started screaming her head off, calling for the guards.” Pop watched as Truth returned to his notepad, scribbling down his words onto paper.

This just keeps getting worse the more I hear about it. He could hear his heart drumming against his ribcage as he continued to listen to Pop. “Did you see what killed him, the murder weapon?”

“No, I have no idea what did him in. Far as I know it was a ghost that snuck in there and did the deed,” replied the crestfallen pegasus.

“Pop, I need you to keep trying to remember, anything I could use to help defend you in court tomorrow.”

“If I knew something bud, I would’ve told ya.”

I’m not sure what else I can press him on, he doesn’t seem to have a motive but he was at the scene of the crime. If I can’t find another suspect then this case will be closed tomorrow, jabbing at his notepad.

“Well I have one last thing to ask you.”

“Sure, what is it?”

“Why were you at Aspect’s house in the first place?” Truth said, placing his hoof back on to his tie.

Pop’s muzzle scrunched, eyes twitching slightly, “I was just conducting business.” As soon as he finished, a sudden wail of iron grating against iron filled Truth's ears, thick rusty iron chains formed in the air between him and Pop. Two large red padlocks appeared, snaring the chains and grinding them to a halt. Trust stood silently, eyes switching between the two locks that had formed in front of him. Hmm, only two locks, but does his secret have anything to do with this case?

“Alright, Pop, I think that’s everything you can tell me,” Truth said, putting away his little notepad. What I’m afraid of here is what you keeping quiet about. I hope it’s not something that the prosecution can use against me. “Well, Princess, are you ready to go?”

Celestia, however, seemed to be at a loss for words. “Uh, princess, are you alright?”

“Oh, yes, I’m fine,” she said in her usual calm demeanor. For a second there I thought, no, couldn’t be. “Well then Mr. Truth, the paperwork will be filed by tonight; you’ll be sleeping in the castle.”

Pop watched the two as they walked out the door. Maybe I should’ve told him. I doubt it would’ve changed things anyway, Pop's watched the alicorn and the earth pony walk out of the room.

“Alright, prisoner, back to your cell,” ordered the guard closest to him. The other sentry was pulling back the bar for the door. Getting up, he started walking back to his cold little hovel of a cell. Reciting a small prayer that tomorrow, he would be a free stallion.

-Grand Hall, Canterlot Castle-
-10:20 P.M.-

“This case almost seems impossible, princess,” Truth said as soon as they entered the grand hall. After leaving the detention center, the pair walked down the empty streets of the sleeping city, the air surrounding them thick with unspoken tension.

“So you don’t believe what Pop told you?” she asked, still wondering what the hair raising sensation was. It felt like a spell but I’ve never heard of any earth pony doing such a thing.

“What he didn’t say concerns me more,” Truth stated, contemplating the two locks that he saw form. “Princess, do you anything else, the autopsy report?” It was bit of a stretch for him to get a hold of the full report from the police. If he had the princess backing him, maybe he’d have time to form a proper defense.

“I was too preoccupied with finding a defense and running the kingdom, Truth,” she stammered out. Her cheeks suddenly turning a light pink. I should’ve at least gotten him some information to use. “Truth, you do have your attorney badge with you?

“Yes, princess,” he said, grabbing his tie and turning it around to reveal a small yellow button pinned to the inside. “I always keep it pinned to my tie in court,” he said, presenting it to her with a grin.

“Excellent. By the way, I do have some good news for you, Truth,” Celestia said. “I’ve arranged a co-counsel to assist you in court tomorrow.”

“Really?” I wonder who she got on short notice, a junior attorney maybe? At this point I’m gonna need some kind of priest to even odds stacked against me.

“He’ll be meeting you at the court tomorrow, he’s asleep right now but he’s one of the best assistants in Equestria,” her voice carrying a motherly tone. “Now, Mr. Truth, I advise you to get some rest. You’re going to need all of your energy for tomorrow.”

“I won’t let Pop down, a defense attorney is a defender of the innocent,” reciting his personal motto.

“Very well then,” she said opening the door of the grand hall. A maid walked in and bowed to the princess, “Mrs. Spring, please show Mr. Truth to his room please.” The princess watched as the lawyer and maid disappeared beyond the door before teleporting into her room. Everything is set, I’ll watch over the trial tomorrow and we’ll see how far we can go.

The princess looked over to her desk, a large white envelope with a wax seal on it of her cutie mark holding the lip down. Grasping it in her magic, the princess tore through the seal, pulling out several papers. Looking over each one, her eyes began to water. Why did this have to happen? Dread washing over her as she read the contents, letting the envelope fall to the floor. A picture of a bit made from glass emblazed on the front.