• Published 21st Mar 2014
  • 6,021 Views, 313 Comments

Set In Stone - kudzuhaiku



The Cutie Mark Crusaders find a pegasus trapped in stone when out exploring the Whitetail woods. What happens when he is freed from petrification?

  • ...
12
 313
 6,021

Chapter 21

Well then, this was not what I was expecting, Sandow thought to himself. He had been told that Flickershine had wanted to see him, and that he was to meet her at her wagon. A blanket had been spread on the ground, along with a picnic meal, and Flickershine was sitting on the blanket, smiling fetchingly, her mane tied into one single long braid that clung to her neck and made Sandow feel an uncomfortable tightness in his barrel when he looked at her.

Sandow gulped a few times, feeling a sensation of panic, which started off as cold chills in his frogs, trembles and wobbles in his legs, and a nervous hitching in his barrel. His wings began to feel uncomfortably hot.

She’s beautiful, Sandow thought, feeling a pleasant warmth and a sad sensation of guilt at the same time, his emotions still in terrible conflict with one another. Sandow still had trouble figuring out why somepony as beautiful as Flickershine had any interest in him at all.

“You are just going to keep standing there all night aren’t you?” asked Flickershine.

Sandow struggled to find words, but nothing seemed willing to spring into his mouth. After a few minutes of struggle, he nodded.

“Come on over here, sit down, take a load off you daft draft pony,” invited Flickershine, patting the blanket beside her with her hoof.

Sandow did he as he was bid, carefully stepping over and sitting down, settling himself down on to the blanket, oh so terribly close to Flickershine. There wasn’t a lot of room for personal space. Sandow could feel the heat coming from her body, and it made his own body uncomfortably warm.

“Now, let me explain something. Applejack and I, we came up with all kinds of scenarios on what to do with you, and how for me to deal with my little problem I am having with you. And I am having a little problem with you Sandow… Which is why we are talking. After Applejack and I talked, and remembered the failed attempt at supper that night, we decided that sterner measures were in order, but they had to be gentle and not so in your face,” explained Flickershine. “Make no mistake though, before this night ends, I am going to be in your face. I should make that clear.”

Sandow nodded, his mouth dry. He felt something tease his lips… an apple slice hovered invitingly, glowing with Flickershine’s magical aura, which he nibbled and took in, crunching as quietly as possible.

“We’ve been seeing one another and getting real friendly now for a fair bit of time. Now, I realise, it has only been a month or so, give or take a little time. And you and I have been seeing each other almost daily. We’ve been having these little dates and excursions almost every day, we dance together almost every day during the fillies lessons, we have been getting to know one another and get comfortable with one another, and you haven’t made one single move towards me as a mare, other than a few sweet words, a box of chocolates, and that adorable heart melting attempt at writing a love letter,” said Flickershine. “There is almost nothing to talk about. No story to tell. We meet every day, we dance a bit during the dance lessons, you occasionally look at me all moon eyed, and that is it. Nothing else. A less patient mare might have died from boredom,” added Flickershine as she levitated up a juicy slice of orange and teased Sandow with it.

Flickershine fed him a few more bites, and took a few bites herself.

“Now, I must be doing something right here, because you haven’t run off yet and you haven’t gotten all angry and steamed to the point of telling me off, which I know you will do if somepony steps on your hooves, so I am going to have to make the assumption that you are alright with this, unless of course you are finally willing to spill your guts and voice your opinion,” guessed Flickershine.

Sandow allowed himself to be fed more fruit as the conversation fell into a lull, also being fed a few bites of pound cake and some spicy black pepper pimento cheese spread on crackers. Fireflies danced around them, the stars began to twinkle overhead, and the moon was beginning to rise over the treeline.

“Applejack and I both came up with some terrible plans to make you see reason. We had a lot of fun. Did you know that Applejack’s mother had to kidnap Applejack’s father because the big lug was too shy to leave the orchard? Big Mac is slow on the draw as well. Seems the entire Apple family is cursed with big slow lunks, I wonder where they get that from?” teased Flickershine. “Makes a mare feel safe, if kinda frustrated at times,” quipped Flickershine.

Sandow felt a powerful blush building up in his face. He felt magic pulling at his front legs, causing him to drop down into a laying position, on his belly, his front legs folded before him. Flickershine reclined next to him, so close that he could feel her breathing on his face. Sandow felt his own breath catch in his tight throat.

“In the end though, what Applejack and I discussed the most though, was something we have in common. Can you guess what that is?” questioned Flickershine, leaning in even closer, her muzzle faintly grazing Sandow’s cheek.

It took every ounce of will that Sandow had not to bolt. He could feel it, a powerful impulse in his legs. He thought about Flickershine’s question, it tumbled through his mind, teased his senses, and no words formed to make a reply. Flickershine’s closeness was making him dizzy. He turned his head to gaze at her, feeling his heart beginning to thrash around inside of his barrel like a caged animal.

“Applejack and I have one very important thing in common, and it practically makes us sisters. In fact,” whispered Flickershine breathily. “I think what we have in common will make us sisters one day. Come on, take a guess at what that is Sandow…” begged Flickershine, her eyelids becoming lazy and settling over her blue eyes like two sleepy twins being put to bed.

Sandow could feel Flickershine breathing on him. He could smell her. She smelled like flowers. She smelled of soap. Sandow felt his eyes closing against his will and he felt his breath draw powerfully through his nostrils. She smelled like apple blossoms. Sandow felt a little drunk. Flickershine clearly wasn’t fighting fair, she pulled no punches. Smelling so strongly of apple blossoms was just plain fighting dirty, and Sandow took a deep breath and made himself ready to tell her exactly that.

All that came out of Sandow’s mouth was a contented sigh. Sandow silently cursed his body for betraying him.

“Well, I guess that was a response at least,” giggled Flickershine. “What Applejack and I have in common is our shared love of you. And make no mistake, I am in love with you Sandow Rotten Apple. Not just the stories, but you. I love everything about you. I love you enough to go into this night carefully, mindful not to be too brash and hurt you, because I learned from my last mistake and I have no desire to repeat it and hurt you again,” explained Flickershine.

Sandow turned his head, causing his snoot to brush up against Flickershine’s muzzle. He felt her inhale sharply, her body tensing, her eyelids blinking rapidly for a moment. Sandow pulled away, embarrassed for bumping into her. This is what personal space was for, to avoid these embarrassing social blunders. He took a deep breath and made ready to apologise for being an insensitive clod and bumping Flickershine’s nose…

All that came out was another sigh. Sandow inwardly cursed his body’s second betrayal.

“Ugh, the worst thing is, I know you aren’t teasing me on purpose. For a moment, I thought you were finally going to kiss me there and then you looked all embarrassed. Let me guess, you bumped into me by accident and now you feel embarrassed and ashamed?” questioned Flickershine. “I guess I was foolish to think you’d make such a sudden bold first move,” added Flickershine.

Sandow’s eyes went wide with panic, his barrel suddenly heaving. He willed his legs to work, it was clearly time to go! Nothing happened. His legs remained unmoving. His wings were becoming uncomfortably hot through. Run run run! Sandow begged his traitorous limbs.

“You shouldn’t be embarrassed and ashamed Sandow. I want you to bump into me, that is why I invited you here. I wanted to spend a little time bumping tonight. I was so hoping that we could have our first bump tonight,” said Flickershine teasingly. “Just one little innocent bump on the nose. I need to know that you are interested in me Sandow, that our feelings are mutual. Just one little bump is all that I ask,” pleaded Flickershine, her eyes nearly closed now as she leaned in even closer, reclaiming lost ground from Sandow pulling his head away.

Sandow willed his body to do something, anything, anything at all to allow him to escape from this situation. This was almost as awkward as the first time he had known a mare. In some ways, this was actually worse, Sandow concluded. He had been able to run away during that encounter.

Sandow was frozen in place now, and his heart knew that Flickershine’s magic was not responsible. No, his own body had betrayed him.

Sandow looked down cross eyed at the tip of Flickershine’s muzzle, now a scant inch from his own. Sandow’s body tingled alarmingly as he realised that he and Flickershine were sharing the same air, breathing in and out, hot moist air between exchanged between them. She was too close. Sandow closed his eyes and braced himself, knowing that escape was impossible and that things had gone too far to stop now.

Sandow felt his whole body ignite as Flickershine gently pressed her lips against his and kissed him, a soft and mostly innocent kiss, kneading her lips against his, applying a delicious and delightful pressure against his snoot. She pulled away a second later, Sandow could hear her heavy breathing… The sensation of the kiss and her heavy breathing were too much, Sandow felt his wings unfurl, bursting open with explosive force.

His eyes still closed, he could hear Flickershine giggling sweetly, no doubt having herself a grand moment of triumph because of his embarrassing response.

He opened his eyes, just in time to see that he was being ambushed for the second time, Flickershine’s lips meeting his again, and this time he felt himself kissing back, his body’s betrayal complete.

His wings throbbed with their own heartbeat as the kiss continued, and finally, after several impossibly long moments, Flickershine pulled away.

“So, tell me Sandow, anything to say?” questioned Flickershine.

Sandow struggled to say something, anything, but no words came. After several minutes of awkward silence, he shook his head no.

“Are you mine?” Flickershine asked in pleading tones.

Sandow nodded, the best that he could do at the moment.

“I have to say thank you for making this moment perfect,” whispered Flickershine. “No need to say anything, just keep being you and I’ll keep being little ol’ me, and we’ll have ourselves a nice night together now that I have my bump,” added Flickershine.

Sandow nodded, feeling himself relax slightly, except for his wings, which were full of coursing blood and hot itchy feathers. The night air blew through his plumage, reaching his blood filled wings, cooling his body and his fevered emotions. Pegasi, prone to overheating, had developed odd ways to dump excessive body heat, and wing erections were perhaps the most embarrassing of all of them. His boiling blood cooled as it traveled through his throbbing wings, the night breeze tickling between his feathers, leaching away excessive heat through the thin skin of his wings.

Flickershine was sipping at a cold drink, distracted, flushed, her own breathing heavy and rapid in her nostrils, trying to cool her own overheated body.

It was entirely too easy to for a pony to overheat.

Sandow leaned forward and sneaked a quick peck on her cheek, causing her eyes to open wide in surprise. She looked at him strangely, her eyes now damp, one ear flickering back and forth, her lips trembling.

“You know Sandow, you say the most when you say nothing at all,” sighed Flickershine.

Author's Note:

This chapter was an experimental bit of work. I really wanted to see if I could generate a one sided conversation where one character says nothing at all but still has a meaningful conversation with the other, who does all of the talking.

I've been building up to this for a long friggin' time now, working it and reworking it over and over and over, wondering if I could get it right or if I should just scrap the concept completely. I am really actually very nervous posting this, I must confess this point. I really don't know if this works or not.

Writing this was emotionally satisfying, I hope that reading it is equally so. I would really, really love some constructive feedback on my efforts here. A lot went into this, it has been gumming up the works now for a while, which is why my updates on this story slowed down. I knew I was reaching this point and I would have to deal with it sooner or later. So everything ground to a halt.

This story is almost done folks. The last few chapters will be updated and posted on a slightly more regular basis now.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoy it, and sorry for the wordy and maybe somewhat awkward author's notes at the end.