• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 5,745 Views, 151 Comments

Meeting the Parents - Spot Light



Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Parents, OctaScratch

  • ...
9
 151
 5,745

2 Letters in the Mail

I do make a reference to my Derpy story Derpy's Album. So to get that you would have to read it
********
9:00 a.m. Ponyville:
Vinyl Scratch was just waking from a long night. Rolling over with her neon blue mane plastered to her neck, Vinyl cracked open her blood shot eyes to the piercing light of Celestia's sun. Ever since she stopped living in the record store two years ago, she had been living with Octavia. The Black & White record was mounted on the wall in the living room. At the moment she was suffering from a major hangover. She and Octavia had gone to a bar the night before, and it was coming back to bite Vinyl in the flank. She sat up in the bed, looked to her left and saw that Octavia wasn't there. Ever since the two got together, this had been their typical morning ritual. Octavia would get up and make breakfast; Vinyl would get up later, sometimes with a hangover. Vinyl rubbed the sleep from her eyes, tossed on her robe and stepped out to the hallway. She could hear water running from the bathroom; it must have been Octavia taking a shower. This gave Vinyl an idea, so she decided to sneak into the bathroom, steal Octavia's towel and run out. She waited to hear the water turn off.

"Hey, what happened to my..." Octavia started.

"Wait for it," Vinyl whispered.

"Vinyl, that's not funny," she shouted.

Vinyl quickly ran back to the bathroom, "Lose something?"

"Give me my towel Vinyl."

"Why, the only thing you wear is that bow tie,"

"I need it to dry off,"

"Nah, I like you like this,"

"Hoof it over now or no morning kiss," That got her to stop. Vinyl levitated the towel and wrapped it around Octavia.

"Better?" She said sounding deadpan.

"Much," Octavia walked over to Vinyl, kissed her on the cheek and patted her on the head.

"Ouch," Vinyl said.

"What, do my kisses hurt?"

"Not the kiss, the pat on the head,"

"So you're having another hangover?" Octavia asked sarcastically, "You might want to lay off the Applejack Daniels."

"Well we did have a hay of a time yesterday,"

"Yes we did, but you got drunk again. Just take a shower and hope that your hangover goes away, we need to meet up with Lyra, Bon Bon and Carrot Top for lunch today."

"OK honey."

"I'll get breakfast ready." She left the bathroom and headed to get ready with a smile on her face. Meanwhile Vinyl went to take a shower, only to get a surprise.

"Darn it Octavia! You used up all the hot water!" The thing about Octavia, if you did something to her she would find a way to get even.

A few minutes went by and Vinyl had finished her cold shower. She shook out her whole body to dry herself off, brushed her hair, and put on her DJ glasses. Her hangover was starting to go away. She headed down to the kitchen. Octavia had already started making breakfast. Vinyl sat down at the table. Her head still hurt.

"There's aspirin on the counter,"

"Thanks Octie" Vinyl rubbed her head as lifted the medicine over to her. Octavia walked over to the table with breakfast but she didn't set it down.

"Vinyl, what time is it?"

"I think it's just about 10:00, why?"

"Remember?"

"What?"

Octavia took a step back.

"3... 2... 1"

CRASH! Vinyl jumped back as a blur of gray and yellow crashed down onto the table like the wrath of an angry god, sending pills in every direction.

"Mail's here,"

The pair of bulbous yellow eyes blinked, and their owner flashed a huge smile.

"Morning Miss Hooves,"

"Hey Octavia, I smell muffins,"

"We were about to have breakfast," Vinyl said sounding frustrated.

"She's just mad because you made her spill her pills." Octavia said with a smile. "And yes we do have muffins and I see you have our mail,"

"Fair trade, how about Muffins for Mail?"

"Deal,"

Derpy dropped her mail bag and scrounged around for any mail for them. "Let’s see, what do I have for you?"

"Hey Derpy, I see those voice lessons have been helping you speak better" Vinyl spoke up.

"Thanks Vinyl, but I still have the scar from the bullet." Derpy replied, "Ah here we are. Two letters, one for each of you. That will be two muffins."

"Thanks Derpy, say will you be able to make it to lunch later?" Octavia asked.

"Maybe, I do have to take care of a few things, but I could have Sparkler pick up Dinky from school."

"How is Sparkly anyway?" Vinyl asked.

"She is doing fine, I have to go now, I've got more muffin to deliver and mails to eat"

Vinyl and Octavia just looked at her. Then Derpy took off through the hole that she made during her entrance. "So Vinyl, how do you know Sparkler?"

"She is an old friend from Manehattan. I was young when I met her,"

"Ok then. Let’s eat and see what we got in the mail"

As they ate, Vinyl opened her letter and skimmed it.

"Who is it from dear?"

"My Aunt A-Track and Uncle Turn-Table,"

"Who?"

"I told you about them when we started dating, but I think you were drunk that night," Vinyl teased.

"I've never been drunk in my whole life!" Octavia defended.

"Then what do you call that time at Lyra and Bon Bon's wedding. You know, where you just had to "taste test" the different types wine."

"I wasn't drunk! I was sober with slurred speech!"

"Note I had to carry you home and when I did you were chewing on my mane."

"So I was acting a little out of hoof,"

"You had a headache the very next morning; that is what we call a hangover, like I had. You were drunk,"

Octavia realized she had lost this one.

"What does the letter say?" she blurted.

"Let’s see,"

Dear Vinyl
It's been awhile since we last saw you; we heard you had a special somepony, a mare friend to be exact. As you know your Aunt and I are supportive of this and we would like to meet her, so we request that on June 17th you come to Manehattan for dinner. We hope to see you there. And bring your instruments.
Love
you’re Aunt and Uncle

"They are inviting us over for dinner on June 17th." Vinyl replied, "They want to meet you,"

"I'm fine with that, the 17th it is then,"

"What does yours say Octie?"

Octavia looked down at her envelope, it had been sealed with a Canterlot stamp in the shape of a G-Clef Note. This could only be one pony and Octavia knew who. She ripped open the envelope and took out the letter. She read aloud.

Dear Octavia
Your father and I have read in your previous letter you have found somepony to love. I would like to meet this pony and see if I approve of him. So on June 29th I am holding a dinner party and I request you to be there. And If I don't approve I have just the Stallion for you to replace him. And if you cannot make it I will come down to Ponyville myself and meet him there. If I don't approve you're coming back to Canterlot.
You’re Mother
Viola Symphony

Octavia set the letter down, Vinyl looked at her.

"You haven't told your mother that you're a lesbian?"

"I have good reasons. It's not that you embarrass me, though sometimes you do. It's that my mother isn't very approving of the mare with mare relationship thing."

"Well if that's the case, we could always find you a Stallion to take with you that night just so your mom doesn't get angry with you,"

"That's sweet of you Vinyl, but I'm not sure,"

"Maybe at lunch today we can ask Lyra and Bon Bon for advice?"

"That sounds like a plan,"

Author's Note:

Author's Note: Sorry if this is short the future chaps will be longer. And if you are wondering about the scar Derpy has read my story Derpy's Album to find out.