• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 5,745 Views, 151 Comments

Meeting the Parents - Spot Light



Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Parents, OctaScratch

  • ...
9
 151
 5,745

Dinner, Night and the Late Night Talk

Time 5:00...

Vinyl and Octavia returned to A-Track and Turn Table's.

"That was a close one Octie, no offense but your mother is... is... I don't even have the words for her." Vinyl stated as they walked up the front steps.

"Believe me she is worse when you meet her. You heard how she was to Top Dollar, just imagine what she's like to a commoner." Octavia pointed out. As they enter the house the smell of milk batter biscuits fills the air causing their mouths to water.

"We're back," called Vinyl.

"Back already?" A-Track poked her head out of the kitchen. "It's only five,"

"Well it was getting a little tense out there." Octavia said, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Did it now, well you're early, I just started dinner. Right now I'm just making something of an appetizer."

"Where’s Turn Table?" Vinyl asked.

"He had to step out for a moment. In the meantime how would you two like to help me get dinner all set?"

"Well I guess I could, Vinyl on the other hand well..."

"And what does that mean?"

"Oh nothing, you want to talk about the salad incident or the one about the pancake batter."

"Now wait just a minute, you wouldn't dare."

"What happened?" now spiking A-Track's curiosity.

"Well," Began Octavia, right before Vinyl tackled her to the floor and tried to cover her face. Octavia struggled to fight back and yelled. "Both times the food got up and walked away on its own!" Vinyl gave up and looked away with a blush.

"Well, that's ok, I've seen worse." A-Track said, "Now do you want to help me or not?" The two girls got up and nodded. As they headed to the kitchen, Vinyl attempted to shove Octavia into the door way.

"Vinyl..." She said quietly

"I didn't do anything,"

"Now Vinyl, can you get the cranberry sauce out," A-Track suggest, "and Octavia I need to cut up some vegetables but I've got to make sure I get the broth ready and get it right. So could you cut them for me?"

"Sure, what do you need?" Octavia asked.

Using her magic, she lifted some vegetables from the fridge. "Just chop these up, and I swear I'm forgetting something,"

"Could it be that you need to get the biscuits out of the oven Auntie,"

"Vinyl, don't call me that, You do that, after all I need your help, I need to watch the stove, you get them."

The stove is right on top of the oven, it would make more since for you to get them Vinyl thought.

"So anyway, how did it go with your little walk?"

"Well," replied Octavia, "we hung out with Top Dollar."

"Thee Top Dollar, the richest pony to come out of this town?"

"Yes that would be the one," Vinyl replied. "He is a nice guy, he even bought us lunch and some outfits."

"It's a good thing too, last time Vinyl made lunch it ran out the door. Rumor has it that it is living in the caves under Canterlot."

"What did she make?"

"I think it was toast,"

"It was a garden salad." Vinyl replied sounding embarrassed. "I had a bad batch of vegetables,"

"Sure you did,"

"Girls knock it off, it's time to go to the next scene."
*************

Three hours and one small argument later...

A-Track deiced it would be best if she worked on dinner alone. Meanwhile Octavia set the table and Vinyl went and grabbed something from her suitcase, for when Turn-Table got back. It wasn't too long before the front door burst open and the shout of: "I SMELL DINNER!" from Turn-Table echoed the room.

"Uncle," called Vinyl,

"You’re just in time dear," A-Track said, "We are just about to sit and eat."

"Sounds like a plan to me."

Octavia, by this point was just going with everything that was going on. The four of them sat down for dinner, A-Track served the food, and they began to eat. It was quiet for a little bit, then Turn Table spoke up.

"So how was the day out on the streets girls?"

"Well today was just fine, we met Top Dollar" Vinyl spoke excellently with a mouth full of food.

"He bought us dresses," Octavia followed up quietly.

"He did? It's not every day you meet a rich pony, did anything else interesting happen?"

"Octavia got some cute outfits," snarked Vinyl

"Knock it off Vinyl," Octavia was a little annoyed.

"Anything else?" Turn Table asked.

"Well as a matter of fact..." Vinyl started

"Nothing else happened!' Octavia interrupted out loud. The other three looked at her in shock. She then stood up from the table and walked to her and Vinyl's room.

"What in blue blazes was that all about?" A-Track motor mouthed.

"Vinyl, did you and her have an argument?"

"No, she has been smile and giggles ever since we got back. As for this little outburst, it might have something to do with her mother."

"Her mother?" questioned Turn-Table spiking his interest.

"We saw her earlier, but we managed to stay out of her sight thanks to Top Dollar."

"Why stay out of her sight?"

"You would have to take that up with Octavia."

"I will,"

"And I'll put her unfinished dinner in the fridge if she wants it later." A-Track added.

"Uncle, can I ask you something?"

"Anything,"

"Earlier, during our day on the town, Octavia slipped away from us for a few minutes meanwhile I told Top Dollar that I might want to tie the knot with Octavia. He thinks I should, he even gave me a bag of platinum bits, I checked they are real, to buy a ring. I want to know if you think I should."

"Vinyl, A-track and I will support any choice you make. So if you feel that way, we'll be there."

"Thanks guys, but promise you won't tell Octavia.

"We promise,"

"I was going to get out my guitar and jam with you tonight. But because Octavia doesn't seem up to it, it will have to wait for some other time."

**************

One hour later, up in their room: Octavia sat on the bed hugging a pillow. She was feeling upset, embarrassed, and stressed. After seeing her mother today, she knew that she would have to tell the truth. She knew Vinyl was the one for her, but how was she going to break it to her cold hearted fiend of a mother. She was too deep into this and snapped out of it at the sound of the door opening. It was Vinyl.

"I thought you would be in here."

"Hi sweetie, Sorry about that little outburst, I was tense."

"It's OK, I know you’re upset about your mother being here." she sat down next to her.

"I am, but we still have several days before we see her. I say let’s enjoy the moment."

"That's the Octavia I know and love," She put her hoof on Octavia's face, turned it and kissed her. "I love you Octavia, I'm going to get some sleep." She fell back on the bed and closed her eyes and began to snore.

Oh Vinyl she thought. Her stomach growled, reminding her she didn't eat much. She got up and headed down to the kitchen. On her way there she passed A-Track, who was off to bed herself. She asked Octavia if she was alright. Octavia responded with "just fine," and continued to the kitchen. When she got there the lights were off, as soon as she turned them on she was greeted with:

"Good evening, I thought you went to bed,"

She turned Turn-Table was sitting in his lovers seat.

"Sorry did I wake you?"

"I was awake," he said as he got up. "If you’re hungry, your leftovers are in the fridge,"

"Thank you," She walked quickly to the fridge and took out the left overs.

"Vinyl told me what happened today,"

She stopped and looked down at her hooves. "She did?"

"Yes, you saw your mother,"

"I did,"

"Are you sure it was her you saw?"

"Let's see, Bass-clef cutie mark, stick-up-the-flank attitude, and Top Dollar referred to her as Viola." she listed still not looking at him.

"Viola, As in Viola Symphony,"

"Yes, let me guess you've heard of her?"

"Indeed I have. She's a top notch Canterlot violinist. You mean to say you’re her daughter?"

"Sadly yes, I'm blessed with suck." she grumbled.

"What’s wrong with her, I've never met her, but I have read about her she seems nice."

"That's what the news says." She turned and looked at him. "The only ponies who get to know the real her are the ones that attend her formal parties and the ponies who lived with her. While the news say she is a gentle and nice high class pony, I say she is a cold hearted fiend. She is the reason I moved to Ponyville." This felt good coming off her chest
“If you hate her so much then why are you going to her party?"

"Two reasons: One, because if I don't she will come see me in Ponyville, and you don't want to know how she treats commoners. And two, my father Bazantar. Whenever my mother acted cold to me and forced me to focus on studying and practicing my cello, he would sneak me out and we would go out have some fun. He brought joy to my life, but it wasn't enough to keep me from the ice queen living in our house." She stopped and looked, she had been so unfocused that she dropped her food on the floor. "Oops, I'll clean that up."

"It's ok, I'll take care of it." said Turn Table getting up. "It seems like your father is a really nice pony," he said grabbing a rag from a near buy shelf.

"I haven't seen him in two years,"

"Will it now? Well it seems like your dinner is dating the floor right now, but I think there are some left over biscuits help yourself." Octavia did such, as Turn Table cleaned up the mess.

Octavia with two biscuits in her hooves, headed back to the room but not before turning to him and saying, "Turn Table,"

"Yes?" he replied throwing out the dirty rag.

"Thanks for listening," she smiled.

"No problem, and Octavia,"

"Yes?"

"You can call me Uncle," he smiled back.

"Will do, good night," She headed back to the room.

"Good night."

Author's Note:

Author's Note: This chapter was a tough one to get through, Who ever proof reads this one, I need help with details. If it's a weak chapter I'm sorry, But the next chapter things will pick up, (I hope).