• Published 18th Apr 2012
  • 5,746 Views, 151 Comments

Meeting the Parents - Spot Light



Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Parents, OctaScratch

  • ...
9
 151
 5,746

The Sister: Sonnet Symphony.

June 28, 9:00 am

Octavia stretched out over the bed in the V.I.P. bedroom, she nearly pushed Vinyl off the bed. Once the two had settled into the V.I.P. hotel room, they just couldn't leave and spent the rest of the previous day sitting around. While just hanging around an interesting and strange plot device was brought up. The previous day, 3:30 pm Vinyl makes it to the V.I.P. rooms after getting lost on the first floor.

"Wow, it's easy to get lost in here," she stated.

Octavia walked up to her and kissed her quickly, "So that's what took you so long, I thought you might have bumped into a high class snob on the way up,"

"I did,"

"Who?"

"You,"

"Hey I'm no snob, not like my mother or sister" she muttered.

But Vinyl heard it, "What was that last part?" she asked

"Nothing,"

"Octavia, what happened to having an open relationship?"

"Ok, fine, I have a sister ok,"

"A sister huh? What's her name and why have you never told me about her?"

"Well you see, her name is Sonnet she lives up here in Canterlot with her husband Black Jack. And she is a bit awkward."

"The big shot casino pony?"

"Yes, we don't talk much, I still want to see her though," the two walked into the V.I.P. Living room and sat down on the couch.

"Dose she work with her husband?"

"Not often, only when he wants to make a few extra bits by putting on a show. Sonnet works and owns a small cafe much to my mother's horror."

"Wait so why doesn't your mother approve of her working and owning at a cafe?"

"She always want's the family to have big jobs and ''great'' futures."

"Oh, so I take it she hate's simplicity?"

"Correct, well most of the time, it really depends on the topic."

"I see, so about your sister," Vinyl said with a grin "Is she attractive as you?" Vinyl poked Octavia's chest with her hoof.

This would normally be the time where Vinyl would be on the floor out cold. But instead, "I don't know, how about when we see her tomorrow I'll have to ask her to show you our flanks." The thought processed in Vinyl's mind and she passed out with a nose bleed. "Oh great now I'm going to have to wait before we can try the Canterlot wine,"

***************

Cut to the present time: Octavia opened her eyes, her head felt like a swarm of bees had gone through her. She had forgotten not to challenge Vinyl to a drinking contest, no matter what the drink was. She unscratched herself and looked to her right, Vinyl was on the verge of falling off the bed. She sat up and pulled Vinyl from the edge. Vinyl was still out cold, so Octavia took her head and put it on her lap. She looked down at her mare friend and stroked her mane. "One more day Vinyl, and then we will see what happens." she whispered. "Today you will get to meet my sister and my mother."

Vinyl slowly opened her eyes, her neon red eyes were met of violet eyes, and her head was pounding. "Morning Octie, sleep well?"

"Yes I did, how's your head?"

"How's yours?"

"Good point," Both of their heads were pounding, but they were used to it by now. But at that moment there was a knock at the door.

"Who could that be?" Vinyl asked, "Room service?"

"Not this early, Vinyl go take a shower and don't say a word unless I have to say something to you,"

"Ok," Vinyl was unsure of what was going on but went to take a shower. Octavia then went to see who was at the front door. She peeked through the eye hole and opened it.

"Morning Octavia,"

"Oh, it's just you dad," she sighed in relieve, "What brings you here, despite the fact you own the place,"

"Well you see, I'm not alone this time," he sounded stressed, then called down the hall. "She's here honey,"

From down the hall a mare who was well dressed, she had a jet black mane was well groomed and a cherry oak color coat. She approached Octavia.

"Ma...ma...Mom?" she stuttered.

"Hello Octavia," Viola responded softly.

Octavia looked at her father and asked her mom, "How did you know I was here?"

Bazantar backed away slowly, "Don't look at me, she saw you enter the hotel after coming back from checking with catering."

Viola looked at her husband, "Bazantar will you give me and our daughter a moment." Bazantar darted out of there.

"What are you doing her mom? I wasn't going to see you until tonight,"

"I saw you yesterday, but I had important stuff to do,"

"So you wanted to say "hi"?"

"Well sort of that, and after hearing somepony yell "Shut up Blue Blood," in a familiar voice I went to investigate. But the reason I didn't follow you in to the hotel is because apparently I'm not welcomed in this hotel unless your father says,"

"I...i...is that all?"

"No, I would like to know, who was that mare that entered with you?" Thought's rushed through Octavia's mind. "Well who was she and where is this stallion you that is your special somepony?"

Octavia got it and took a deep breath, giving a Fluttershy like rant, "You see mom, during the time I sent my letter and you sending yours, we had a bit of a falling out and broke up, that mare you saw is my roommate Vinyl Scratch, she didn't like the fact I would be going to the party alone so she asked to come along to be my wing pony. I said that would be ok as long as she agreed to dress formal and behave herself. And we spent the night in this hotel so I could show her around Canterlot before we go to yours and dad's place tonight." she had to catch her breath.

"Is that it, well as long as what you said was true, I'm ok with that," Viola replied, "Well, I still have somethings I must get done before tomorrow." Viola took one step toward Octavia, "Daughter, go easy on the wine," then she did something Octavia did not expect, her mother hugged her. "I must go now, I will see you at dinner tonight," With that Viola turned and left, leaving Octavia dumbfounded. As soon as Viola had left Bazantar reappeared.

"I take it your wondering why she hugged you?" he asked,

"Where in Equestria did that come from?"

"I asked her too. I know you two don't see eye to eye, but I have a feeling the events of tomorrow will show the true colors."

"Dad, what's going to happen tomorrow is between me and her," She explained flatly, "Now , I want you to keep me and Vinyl as a registered guest here just in case something goes wrong tomorrow. I plan on returning to Ponyville."

"Well I can only keep V.I.P. rooms in use for three days per guest, so ok," Bazantar told her. He sniffed the air, "Octavia, you might want to go clean yourself up. You stink of wine," He then turned and left. Octavia sniffed herself, man did she need a shower. But she knew Vinyl might have used all the hot water, yet again this was a V.I.P. room, which means all the hot water you can... Octavia soon darted for the bathroom, hoping Vinyl had not already finished.

**************

About an hour later the two of them were out on the streets of Canterlot. For their public image Octavia decided to fancy up Vinyl's mane so it wouldn't look like bedhead, Vinyl said it looked like royal throw-up . Vinyl had never seen so many fancy places before. There was the Crown Boutique, Donut Joe's, Gustav's Great Gourmet, and The Simple Way Cafe which was the place they were headed.

"So, where are we going again?" Vinyl asked.

"The Simple Way Cafe; my sister should just be opening up by now," The two headed for the Cafe. On the way over they saw a gray earth pony with a white mane opening the place up. "Sonnet!" Octavia called.

The pony looked behind her, "Me? Wait is that you Octavia?" The two sisters ran over and gave each other a hug. "Octavia it is you." She pulled away and looked at Vinyl, "And who is this?"

"Sonnet, this is my mare friend, Vinyl Scratch,"

"Mare Friend? You know Mom is going to have a fit right?" She looked back at Octavia.

"Yes, but she can't do anything about it, after all Princess Celestia, herself, passed the law making it legal."

"Yes and Mom still doesn't approve,"

"And what about you?" Vinyl asked Sonnet.

"Me? Well because Octavia is my sister, she deserves to be with whoever she wants." Octavia smiled and put an arm around Vinyl. "Say I'm just opening up, how would you two like to help me in the shop today?"

"Well I promised Vinyl I would show her around Canterlot today," Vinyl nodded in agreement.

"I'm not saying for the full day, only until the other workers show up, come on it will be fun."

"Sure, why not?" Vinyl responded.

"Well, ok, but keep Vinyl away from any stove, rumor has it... ahh!" Vinyl jumped her hoping she wouldn't bring up the incident again.

"What's going on?" Sonnet asked in confusion.

"Nothing, nothing," Vinyl turned her focus to Octavia, "We are not bringing that up this time." She looked back at Sonnet, "So about working with you for a while,"

Sonnet bowed her head and smiled, "Right this way," Octavia got off the ground and followed her sister and Vinyl. They were now in the cafe. The place was average size, a few tables, and a large front counter. Sonnet went behind the counter. "So hungry?"

"But we don't have much money on us?" Vinyl said.

"Yes we do," Octavia mumbled to Vinyl.

"You don't have to lie Vinyl, besides it's on the house. I don't have to worry about losing money because I make everything myself."

"Oh," replied Octavia.

"Well how about a cup of coffee and a special Canterlot muffin?"

"Sure," replied Octavia, "Vinyl?"

"Dark coffee for me and what is in a Canterlot muffin?" she asked

"Chocolate chips, dried cranberrys and topped with cinnamon." Sonnet explained

"I'll try anything once," Vinyl said.

"Good, because I don't have many left." Sonnet got out the muffins and coffee. "I need to make more, so once you two have finished eating, I need you to take care of any customers that may come in, or until another of my employees shows up. They should have a name tag on."

"Will do," Octavia replied. She looked over too Vinyl, "Once somepony who works here shows up we are, done here."

Sonnet didn't here and went to the back room. Vinyl spoke, "Is this why you don't talk about her?"

"Yes. She thinks if she runs into somepony she knows she can get them to work for her if, even for a moment, if she bribes them."

Vinyl took a bite of her muffin. "It was a good bribe at least. We need to tell Derpy about this place,"

"That is true, but I think she needs to cut back on the muffins."

"And why is that?"

"They tend to go to her hips. Remember that one time when we invited her over for dinner?"

"Yes and she broke my best seat." Vinyl said with a dead pan tone. There was a call from the kitchen.

"Hey Vinyl, could you lend me a hoof back here?" It was Sonnet.

"Vinyl you might want to do that, she isn't one to take no for an answer."

Vinyl went to the Kitchen. "So what do you need help with?"

"Can you get the milk out for me?"

"Milk? Ok," as Vinyl proceeded to do so, she asked, "You didn't bring me back here just to get the milk did you?"

"No, it's not. The reason is more personal. How do you and my sister able to make it work?"

"It?

"Your relationship?"

"Well we have only been together for two years," she passed the milk, "And we truly care for each other, and have friends that support us. Why?"

"Well you see me and my husband Black Jack are having trouble in our marriage. All I want to do is have a good life with him but it is hard."

"Do you love him?"

"Well of course."

"Tonight go to him and show him how much you love him."

"How?"

"Push him on the bed. Hold him close to you. Have fun. Make a foal."

Sonnet was now confused, "What?" she asked.

"Do I need to spell it out for you?"

"Spell what out?"

"You need to make love to him!"

"But I make him dinner for him, and that's a sign of love." Sonnet was confused.

Vinyl felt something in her mind break. Why is this girl being so naive? Looks like I am going to have to go for simplistically with her. "Sonnet look,"

"Where?"

"Sonnet understand all you have to do is have sex with him. Is that not clear?"

"Oh that explains why I haven't had a foul yet."

"You have got to be kidding me, are you that dense?" Vinyl was lousing her cool.

"Nope, the only thing dense around here are rocks, I was just kidding around with you. I knew what you meant the first time."

Now on the Verge of screaming, "Just do what I told you and things are going to get better for you." Vinyl took a deep breath, swallowed hard and left the kitchen, leaving Sonnet on the verge of laughing out loud. Coming out of the kitchen Vinyl looked at Octavia.

"Did she..." Octavia began.

"Yes... next time... WARN ME!" She shouted. At that moment the sounds of laughter from Sonnet and Octavia filled the cafe. Vinyl wasn't amused. "Let's just go to the next scene." she said in a deadpan tone.

******************

About an half'n'hour later and only one customer, another employee showed up, that meant Octavia and Vinyl could leave. On the way out the door Sonnet called, "I'll see you two at the party tomorrow."

The two were glad to be out of there. Sonnet was a nice pony, but she had the power to be full of herself. "How long has she been like that?" Vinyl asked,

"Ever since she married Black Jack." Octavia replied, "It goes to show you what marrying the wrong pony can do to you."

"What do you mean?"

"Sonnet had an arranged marriage. She didn't want to marry Black Jack, she had here sites on another stallion..."

"But big bad mama didn't approve, did she?"

"Nope, if anything gets past mom, she is going to try to make at least one thing that matters to her stick. In this case it was who Sonnet was going to marry."

"Octavia, you must pardon my "Prench", but WHAT. A. BITCH."

"I could say the same, but anyway, where would you like to go? There is plenty of stores around here."

"Any music stores?"

Octavia stopped walking and paused, "Yes. A big one. Not too far from here. It's called The Symphony's Ballad"

"Ok, whats wrong th... Your mother works there doesn't she?"

"I'm that predictable?"

"Eeyup, well We don't have to go."

"No it's ok; my mother is too busy with the party planing that she won't bother, after all she owns the store. A matter of fact she owns a lot of music stores around here with the exception of Ponyville."

Vinyl stopped and looked at her. "Wait, so let me get this strait, she is a violin player, a monopoly manager, a formal snob, loves to be the one who is in control and a O.C.D. self obsessed bitch?"

Octavia Booped Vinyl's nose. She was right. "So would you like to go to the store?"

"Heck yeah."

Author's Note:

Well I know I didn't bring up Sonnet before, but I did want to put her in the story earlier but forgot :derpytongue2: Anyway tell me what you think of her. She will show up again. as for the next two chapters. You will get to see Viola for who she relay is. So grab your head helmets and take cover. Because I want you to hate Viola (For now).