• Published 12th Mar 2014
  • 4,719 Views, 185 Comments

Personas of Harmony - EricStarstorm



Ponies with Personas, based mostly on the Persona 4 system. What's not to love?

  • ...
6
 185
 4,719

Bonus: Reactions to Other Bosses

Author's Note:

Let's have some more bonus content, because EVERYONE loved it last time!

...These are just...why do I do this to myself...

The theater was a modest affair--there were only approximately two dozen seats, and the screen was much smaller than usual. What few lights there were in the ceiling were powerful enough to illuminate the entire room, but a blue tint covered everything. Seven of the seats were filled, and the occupants of said seats were chatting animatedly amongst themselves. Silence fell over them as two spotlights suddenly flickered on, each one illuminating a figure on one side of the screen. Igor was under one spotlight, sitting down in a folding chair whose back had been replaced with a wooden sculpture of a lyre. Margaret stood under the other spotlight, acting surprisingly casually.

"Welcome to the Velvet Theater," Igor said, gesturing towards the guests. "I am Igor. This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter--"

"Actually, I'm pretty sure it exists in my backyard," Twilight said suddenly. "At least, that's where it was when we came in."

Igor covered his mouth and cleared his throat. "You're correct. My apologies, it's simply habitual at this point."

"We have brought you here so that you might witness the trials of our previous guests," Margaret said. "It is our hope that seeing these will both inspire you and show you just what your opposition is truly capable of."

Rainbow Dash raised a hoof. "Uh, sorry, but is this gonna take long? I have things to do today."

Margaret sighed. "Time is not currently passing outside of this theater. You'll still be able to accomplish whatever goals you have set for yourself."

"That works, thanks!"

"Now then," Igor said, "if I could direct your attention to the screen...we shall begin."

The spotlights turned off as the other lights began to dim. The rapid clicking of a projector met everyone's ears for a moment as an image began to form on the screen.


The monster charged towards the girl, its many flailing hands serving as its only means of locomotion. Its knives flashed in the moonlight, each pointing menacingly at its target. The girl had a strange object pointed at her forehead, but for some reason, she seemed hesitant to use it. It wasn't long before the monster reached her and batted her easily to the side.

"Geez, did this thing take all of the arms and hands that were SUPPOSED to be in Equestria?" Spike asked. "I mean, I know I should be worried about the girl, but that is just an outrageous number of arms."

"Do they even connect to anything?" Fluttershy asked. "It...wouldn't make much sense if they didn't..."

"Shadows have never made sense," Rarity pointed out. "Besides, this really isn't what we should be focused on."

"Quiet down, please," Margaret scolded.

"Sorry," Spike replied. He watched intently as a Persona formed above the boy's head.


A large, fat man sat upon a throne in the middle of the stage. In front of him were two white crosses, and behind him was a beige woman with a six-pronged cross for a head, gently massaging his shoulders. Electricity loosed itself from the prongs of the woman's head, striking each of the Persona-users that faced it.

"It's weird," Rainbow said. "Seeing this reminds me that there really aren't many fat ponies around here."

Silence overtook the group, and it seemed for a moment as if they had simply gone back to watching the show. However, other voices soon popped up.

"You're RIGHT, Dashie!" Pinkie exclaimed, putting her hooves up to her cheeks. "Not even Mrs. Cake is anything worse than 'endearingly chubby,' and she runs a BAKERY!"

"Does the schoolhouse even have a PE program anymore?" Applejack asked herself. "Ain't no way every single one o' them foals is eatin' and exercisin' just right."

"My word, I haven't done proper exercises in months," Rarity said. "How have I not gained any weight?"

"Well...I do have a dragon's metabolism," Spike mumbled to himself.

"Please focus on the screen," Igor said. "You've already missed quite a bit."

The group stopped themselves from voicing their observations any further and turned back towards the screen...only to find that a giant, heart-shaped Shadow was now being shown, keeping itself aloft with wings that appeared to be made of pink slime.

"Aaaaw! I love you too, you big ol' horrible monster!" Pinkie cooed.


A slender, mechanical feline jumped into the air, slotting itself into place in the center of a gigantic roulette wheel. The roulette was mostly red, but a small blue section could be seen. There were cartoonish pictures of explosions on each section.

"WHEEL! OF! FORTUUUUUNE!" Spike and Pinkie boomed.

"Oh, for--How many times are you two gonna do that?!" Rainbow demanded. "And that joke is way too obvious! Just give it a rest already!"

Margaret pinched the bridge of her nose and held back a sigh. "This was a bad idea..."


The titanic humanoid lifted its sword once more, a red aura surrounding it. Its expressionless face glared down at the Persona-users, who glared back with fear, but also with unmatched determination. This staredown continued for a moment as the sound of the wind filled the spectators' ears.

"Let us finish this!" the humanoid yelled. "It is the path of your choosing!"

The battle resumed on the canvas screen. The ponies were sitting on the edges of their seats, their eyes glued to the scene before them. It took a good deal of willpower for them not to cheer when the Shadow took a hit, or to gasp when one of the Persona-users was put in harm's way. They felt as if the battle would go horribly awry if they did anything but watch intently.

Before long, the battle was over, and the screen faded to darkness. The group exchanged glances briefly before applauding vivaciously at what they had seen.

"It's good to see you're enjoying yourselves," Igor said. "A moment, if you would."

The group turned towards one another, eager to discuss what they had just seen.

"I like the part where the blue-haired guy summoned the Persona that Margaret almost killed us with!" Rainbow exclaimed. "Uh...Messiah! Or something."

"That was indeed a marvelous display of power on both sides," Rarity said. "To think...everything that we've seen here would have meant nothing if they had not won that battle. We've been fighting to solve a murder case...but they've been fighting to save the world!"

"I can't say I know much about this whole 'the Fall' business," Twilight said. "But what I do know is that they have the power to prevent it. Just think...other than their powers, they're normal human beings!...And a dog....And a machine." She cleared her throat. "The point is, their victory proves that they have the capacity to overcome any obstacle...and if they can, then so can we!"

"You got that right!" Spike yelled. "We aren't slouches ourselves, either! Just look at what all we've done!"

"Well, I guess that about wraps this up," Applejack remarked. She turned towards Igor and Margaret. "Thanks fer all this, but we're gonna get goin'."

"What are you talking about?" Margaret asked. "We aren't done yet."

There was a tense silence for a few moments. "...We aren't?"

"We're only about halfway through all of the trials we were going to show you."

Another moment of silence followed. It persisted as the ponies settled back into their seats, resigned to their fate.

"Do not worry," Igor said. "This next group is one that you'll be able to relate to. You'll see why shortly."


The phoenix spread its wings, opening the door to its cage. "Now, my Prince...why don't we dance and make merry together?"

"Hang in there, Yukiko...I'm right here for you!" replied a brown-haired girl.

"Oh! This one is like Philomena!" Fluttershy exclaimed, unable to keep a large smile from spreading across her features.

"Yeah, except for the creepy human face," Twilight said. "I know we've seen a lot of Shadows' eyes, but these are especially creepy."

"It's the bangs," Rainbow said.

"...What do you think Philomena would look like with long, black hair like that?" Pinkie asked.

Everyone stopped to consider that for a moment. The thought was met with shivers from some, giggles from others, and nonchalant shrugs from those remaining.


"I will give you the truth you claim to hold so dear..." The Shadow shifted its weight inside the crater. "...the inescapable fact of your death here!"

No one had anything to say about the Shadow on the screen. Some stared at it with wide eyes, some openly gaped at it, and Pinkie couldn't help but laugh at it.

"I'm certainly glad that Sweetie Belle isn't here to see this," Rarity said. "She would probably burn her stuffed animals...and part of the boutique along with them."

"Hey, ain't its eyes kinda...familiar?" Applejack asked.

"Are they?" Twilight replied. She took a second look at the Shadow's eyes. "Huh...maybe they are."

Pinkie abruptly stopped laughing as she saw what the others were talking about. Her hair drooped slightly, and she frowned. "They're like my Shadow's..."

"Why do you still resist?!" the Shadow demanded. "Even should you win, naught but suffering awaits!"

Suddenly, Pinkie started laughing again. "Oh, that's a good one, Mr. Shadow Bear! You're a riot!"


"What, are you sick of yourselves too?" The Shadow spread its arms out, accompanying the motion with a loud, mechanical noise. "Very well...then let us begin the special operation!"

"Astro Colt!" Spike exclaimed, suddenly pointing at the screen.

Twilight looked at Spike. "What?"

"That Shadow reminds me of Astro Colt!" Spike repeated. "...I mean, it's a girl...but still! Doesn't it make sense?"

"I dunno, you're kinda reaching there," Rainbow said.

"No I'm not! She has foot thrusters!"

"Should we know who Astro Colt is?" Fluttershy asked.

"No, you're not missing much," Twilight replied.

Spike frowned. "How do you not see it? It's so--"

"Spike, pipe down!" Applejack said sternly. "Half of us don't even know what yer talkin' about."

Spike looked as if he wanted to protest further, but he sat back down and crossed his arms...until he saw the Shadow dive towards one of the Persona-users, spinning like a drill. He jumped up again. "I KNEW it! Astro Colt!"

Twilight rolled her eyes and used her magic to zip Spike's mouth shut.


"I...am a god..." Izanami spread its eight arms menacingly, towering above the Persona-users that stood against her. "I'll teach you the truth of your miniscule existences."

"Man, everybody gets to beat up gods but us," Pinkie said glumly. "Where's our god to beat up, huh?"

"You really shouldn't be complaining," Rarity replied. "We've bested godlike beings without our Persona abilities before. I think it's good that we don't have to face something that powerful in direct combat."

Pinkie pouted slightly. "Yeah, but it seems like everyone got a better deal than we did."

"I kinda see where you're coming from," Rainbow said. "These guys were investigating a murder, just like we've been doing, and they got to fight gods anyway at the end! The strongest things we've fought are a Shadow that got arrogant, a Persona-user with too much free time and Margaret."

"But we still solved our case, didn't we?" Twilight asked. "In the end, we've wrapped everything up nicely."

"...Yeah, maybe."

"If we were to face a god in battle, we might not all make it back," Rarity pointed out. "I'm perfectly happy with what we've accomplished so far."

"And who knows?" Spike put his hands behind his head and relaxed. "Maybe it's not over yet and we WILL get to fight a god!"

"Let's hope that ain't the case," Applejack muttered.

The group stopped talking and watched as the battle continued. Just as it seemed all hope was lost for the Persona-users, their leader summoned a new Persona that they had never seen and managed to knock her down. The screen went dark again.

"Okay, so we're done now, right?" Rainbow asked. "Or do you have another dozen fights to show us?"

"No," Igor said. "Only six."

Rainbow groaned. "Fine, whatever. Might as well stick around if it's only a few more."


"Then we can't just sit around! Let's beat the Queen before those card soldiers show up again!"

"Such annoying pests...very well. I will crush you all myself!" The Shadow lifted one hand up, shaking with rage. "I won't let you have this! Not even if our king demands it!"

"Hey, it's Shadow Rarity!" Rainbow exclaimed.

Rarity glared at Rainbow and smacked her upside the head with a rolled-up magazine. "Now that is uncalled for, Rainbow Dash! My Shadow was certainly bad, but it was nothing like this stereotypical, avaricious FIEND!" She paused. "...Well, perhaps it was SOMETHING like this stereotypical, avaricious fiend...but that's still no reason to make such offensive comments."

Rainbow rubbed the back of her head. "Uhh...yeah, you're right. Sorry."

"All is forgiven. Just don't--"

"Who are you!? Who do you think you are!? I am the Queen! The QUEEN! MY REIGN IS ABSOLUUUUUTE!"

Rarity's eyes widened, and she blinked twice. "...On second thought, you were right, Rainbow. It is alarmingly like my own Shadow."


"Time to say your vows..."

"A priest?"

"Time to say your vows! In sickness? Splendid! In health? MAAAAAAAGNIFICENT!"

"Ah kinda like this'n," Applejack said.

"It's hardly politically correct," Rarity said, looking at the screen with disdain. "Though...I suppose it is slightly humorous if you look past that."

"Little sheep who flout God! I'll MAKE you take your vows!" the Shadow yelled.

"It's a little confusing," Spike said. "Why is it using the word 'god' as a name?...Is that even what it's doing?"

"Just vow to me all manner'a thiiings!"

"...He talks a lot," Rainbow said.

"Why couldn't we fight THIS one?" Applejack asked. "Ah know it's a Shadow, but Ah really like it! It almost reminds me of home!"

"Rein it in a bit, AJ," Spike said.


Where all the Shadows before it had ranted about their hidden feelings or their modus operandi, this Shadow only let out roars of primal rage. It took a few menacing steps forward, closing in on the downed Persona-users. It rapidly stamped its feet, stomping on its enemies. The ponies visibly flinched as they witnessed the attack's brutality.

"Y-you know, this actually puts things in perspective..." Fluttershy smiled weakly. "After seeing this...I see that I could have a much worse bunny than Angel."

No one responded at first. However, it wasn't long before stifled laughter could be heard. Pinkie suddenly started giggling like a mare possessed, falling out of her seat.

"Whoa! You all right down there?" Spike asked.

Pinkie couldn't respond--she was laughing too hard.

Fluttershy looked at Pinkie with a mixture of concern and disdain. "...I wasn't joking..."

That only seemed to make Pinkie laugh harder.


"I am Chronos...I was born from man, and accompany man on his journey. You wander an ephemeral dream...Your transience affords uncompromising power. What is your life...? What is your death...?"

"Man, they are just DESTROYING this one," Rainbow said. "And it's a god! How many gods are these guys planning on beating up?"

"This is the last trial that these people have faced," Twilight pointed out. "So...three, if you don't count the Sagiri."

"Well, Igor's purpose here has certainly been accomplished," Rarity said. "After seeing all of this, it would be difficult to not be inspired. Wouldn't you all agree?"

"Oh, for sure," Spike said. "These guys have the same power we do, and they've done the impossible. What's stopping us from doing the same thing?"

"That's the same thing I said earlier, Spike," Twilight replied.

"...It's...it still applies!"

"I hope we don't have to fight a god ourselves...but if we do, it's okay," Fluttershy said. "We'll be able to handle it. Right?"

"Darn tootin'!" Applejack exclaimed. "If a god wants to do to Ponyville what these ones are tryin' to do to their world, they're gonna have to get past us!"

"And if we do end up fighting one, we'll be able to have a HUGE party once we beat it!" Pinkie exclaimed. "What better reason is there to celebrate than that?"

The screen dimmed as the battle finally drew to a close. The spotlights on either side of the screen lit up again, illuminating Igor and Margaret.

"You all are a terrible audience," Margaret said. "Not one enemy went by without one of you making some comment on it."

"Sorry," Twilight replied, "but we did take everything in. You don't have to worry about that."

"And that is all we have to show you," Igor said. "Thank you for bearing with us for this long. You're all free to go now."

The group got up from their seats and left the theater, once again talking amongst themselves. Igor and Margaret remained in the room, still and silent until they were alone in the theater.

"...I suppose I can let Theo out of the projector room now," Margaret said. She lifted a small remote, and the sound of a door unlocking met her ears.

A door opened on the other side of the room, and a man fell onto his face just beyond the door frame. He looked much like Margaret, but his hair was short, and his outfit resembled a tuxedo. He lifted his head so that he was facing Margaret. "It's IMPOSSIBLE to breathe in that room! I thought I was going to suffocate!"

"If you have time to complain, you have time to get us some drinks," Margaret said sternly.

Theo looked as if he was about to protest, but Margaret glared at him with death in her eyes. He slumped pitifully, somehow managing to get even closer to the ground. "...Very well..."