• Published 12th Mar 2014
  • 4,718 Views, 185 Comments

Personas of Harmony - EricStarstorm



Ponies with Personas, based mostly on the Persona 4 system. What's not to love?

  • ...
6
 185
 4,718

Bonus: Blooper Reel

Author's Note:

While I think about what to put in the next chapter, have some bonus content.

This was a bad idea.

By all appearances, there was absolutely nothing special about the book that was currently the object of Spike's attention. Its cover was pure white--even brighter than Rarity's coat, if that were at all possible. There was no title on its spine, and...it looked much newer than the other books in the library.

Spike knew he should just report back to Twilight on his lack of findings, but there was something about this book that stopped him from tearing his eyes away. He walked towards it hesitantly, as if it would jump out of the shelf and attack him. It wasn't long before he was within arm's reach of the book. He carefully drew his clawed hand closer to it, finding himself too curious to take it back. He grabbed the book and tried to pull it out. It was much heavier than it looked, but if Spike was strong enough to lift a mountain of luggage, he was certainly strong enough for this. He carefully inspected both covers, but still found no title or author name.

"Okay, this is getting a little bit creepy. Just...what is this thing?" Spike asked himself. The little dragon couldn't stand it any longer. He grabbed the front cover with one hand and lifted it from the first page. "...Cupcakes?"

"Spike?" Twilight's voice called as she walked in. "Are you okay in here?"

Spike lay on the floor as if he had been punched in the gut. The book he was reading was little more than a pile of ashes and charred scraps of paper. The dragon himself was twitching, his eyes wide and his irises the size of pinpricks.

"Spike...why is this book burned up?"

"NEVER AGAIN."


Had a bystander entered Twilight's home that morning, they would have thought that Twilight was painting her kitchen yellow. Twilight and Spike had lost count of how many eggs Pinkie had inexplicably taken out of a bag or pocket that they couldn't see only to smash them with reckless abandon. Twilight knew after that morning why Pinkie usually handled the register at the bakery.

"Huh?" Pinkie suddenly asked. Twilight and Spike, who had started to space out a little bit, both turned towards Pinkie.

"Everything okay there?" Spike asked, his eyebrow raising.

Pinkie turned around, holding an egg in her hoof. "This one smells kinda funny...like somepony left it out for too long."

"...Pinkie, for the love of the gods, do NOT break that egg."

"Okie dokie loki!" Pinkie sang. She was about to get back to work, but her sudden movements caused the egg to fall out of her grasp.

"AAH!" Twilight exclaimed. She frantically tried to grab the egg with her magic, but to no avail--it smashed against the floor. She and Spike covered their noses and braced themselves, but to their surprise, there was no smell permeating the air. Instead, when they looked at the pile of eggshell on the ground, they saw a baby chicken.

"Aaaaw!" Pinkie cooed as she picked up the tiny chick in both front hooves. "He's so cute! This is gonna make a GREAT birthday present for Fluttershy!"

"...I'm not sure if you should go take a bath or if you should go to the store more often, but do that next time."


"Well, can Aurora do anything else?" Rarity asked. "Surely we haven't seen everything."

"Oh! Yeah, watch this!"

Aurora flew back over to Pinkie. She grabbed the heart that was on her head and pulled at it, eventually removing it with a comical pop. She put it over Pinkie's eye, and it turned translucent, allowing her to see through it.

"What's that supposed to do?" Fluttershy asked.

There was silence in response. As time passed, Pinkie's smile turned into a look of intense concentration.

"...Pinkie Pie?" Rainbow asked, almost nervously.

Another smile spread across Pinkie's face as she lifted the heart from her eye. "Ohmygoshyouguys! I can get Space Invaders on this thing!"

Rarity cleared her throat. "Well, at least she can support us when we--"

"Did you say SPACE INVADERS?!" Spike demanded as he ran up to Pinkie.

"Uh-huh! I got a pretty high score!" Pinkie replied, nodding vigorously.

Spike ripped the heart out of Aurora's hands and practically slammed it over his own eye. He let out a fierce battle cry, not even pausing to take a breath, for what seemed to be an eternity.

"...I think this meeting might not have been such a good idea," Twilight said.


"We can't get close to this thing, or it'll take us down in a second," Twilight said. "We have to fight from a distance."

"Got it!" Rainbow said with a nod.

The Shadow ran towards Merlin this time, but Peregrine flapped her wings, blowing it back with a gust of wind. Jack of Clubs surrounded it with ice, and Merlin raised his hands into the air, striking it with lightning from above. The Shadow fell over and landed on its back, unable to move.

Rarity looked over to Twilight. "Now is our chance! We must strike!"

In lieu of a response, Twilight nodded and grinned. Rainbow smiled as well, somehow knowing what was about to happen.

"Good answer!"

For a brief moment, the image of the three ponies' determined smiles passed through Twilight's mind's eye. When that faded, they galloped over to the Shadow and began to beat it relentlessly. They pounded it with their hooves, blasted it with magic, and buffeted it with wings. This seemed to go on for a while before an explosion of dust appeared where the Shadow was, appearing in a shape not unlike that of a skull. The cloud suddenly disappeared, and the Shadow exploded in red mist.

"...Why did we do that again?" Rainbow asked. "I mean...we coulda just had our Personas do that...or just finish it off with another lightning blast or something..."

For a long while, Rainbow's question went unanswered as an awkward silence settled over the group. It seemed as though Twilight and Rarity would say something on more than one occasion, but they never did. Twilight ended up breaking the silence, but not for a while. "Let's...just go and find Fluttershy, all right?"


A sound like shattering glass drew everyone's attention. They all looked up to find that Stonewall had summoned herself. Spike smiled in giddy anticipation while Twilight and Applejack watched in awe as Stonewall was cocooned in blue light. When it faded, her torso was even bigger and no longer T-shaped, and was reinforced with steel plates. At the bottom was a metal skirt of some kind. Instead of her shoulders being extensions of her torso, she now had enormous shoulder guards in the shape of trapezoids that had castle battlements on top. Her hands were now robotic and had nearly quadrupled in size, nearly rivaling the size of her host. Her head was now much like a tiny castle tower with a gaping hole in the front, through which nothing could be seen. Her entire body appeared to be made of reinforced steel as opposed to stone bricks. After a sufficient time had passed, she turned into a Strength card and faded into the air.

"...Stronghold."

"Congratulations, AJ!" Spike exclaimed. "I bet that feels awesome!"

Applejack laughed softly for a moment. "And to think...all Ah needed to do to make this happen was to actually have a lick of common sense. Ah must look like a pretty silly pony right about now."

Twilight was silent. Thoughts were rushing through her head at breakneck speeds, so fast that not even Twilight's hardworking brain could grasp them before they were gone. Something about that last phrase had given Twilight pause. She didn't know what it was about it, but it simply wouldn't leave her be.

"...Twilight?" Spike said eventually. He and Applejack were staring at her, their eyebrows raised.

"...knocking over gates and falling into trenches..."

Applejack and Spike exchanged a confused glance. Spike waved a hand in front of Twilight's face, but she didn't respond.

"Welp, she's out fer a while," Applejack said matter-of-factly. "Wanna go get some cider?"

"...I...I do..."

Applejack and Spike turned around and walked into the barn. Twilight didn't even notice them leave--she was still entranced by that last phrase. She just stood there, her eyes glazed over, long after the sun went down.


"I've been waiting for you," Igor said cordially. The light faded quickly to reveal the Velvet Room before Twilight. "It seems the events that I foresaw during our first meeting have all come to pass. Acquiring your Persona was the second part of the change."

Twilight decided to get straight to the point. "Igor, I have some questions for you."

"Then by all means, ask what you like. But your answers may not be so easily found."

"That world I went to today. What is it?"

"It is a world in which Shadows congregate."

"Shadows?"

"When someone dies, their subconscious thoughts--the ones they hide from others--take on a physical form. A Shadow can take numerous..."

Igor's voice trailed off suddenly. Twilight waited a moment, waiting for him to continue. It wasn't until a hint of a mirthful smile appeared on Margaret's lips that Twilight realized this wasn't supposed to happen.

Igor cleared his throat. "When someone dies, their subcon--" He stopped again. "Their subconscious..."

Margaret was barely holding back laughter by this point. Twilight, on the other hand, looked concerned. "Igor...?"

Igor cleared his throat. "Sorry...I simply tripped over my line." Igor reached under the table, and the sounds of sliding paper could be heard from underneath. Margaret had to cover her mouth with both hands to keep from laughing at this point.

"...Igor, do you need anything?" Twilight asked.

Igor raised his hand. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Now, let's try this again..."

A few more seconds passed in silence. Margaret was practically burying her face in the couch.

"Ahem...when someone--"

Suddenly, Margaret couldn't hold it in anymore. She burst out laughing and fell off of the couch.

"Okay, okay, stop the cameras!"