• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 1,682 Views, 37 Comments

Rainbow Origins - Darklex46



Everyone is curious about Dash's mother since she never knew her and set out to find out who she is

  • ...
4
 37
 1,682

Chapter 1

Rainbow origins: Chapter 1
It was the day after Family Appreciation Day in Ponyville. The mane six were meeting at Twilight’s house, discussing their individual stories of the day before.

“It was great to visit my parents in Canterlot again.” Twilight said. “It’s been such a long time since I’ve seen them.”
“Mah Family Appreciation Day was just like any other day since we’re always together all the time that is.” Applejack added.

“Well, I loved my Family Appreciation Day! I went to visit my parents and sisters on the rock farm, but it was dull, so I threw a party! Not a lot of ponies came because not a lot of ponies around, but a party is still a party even with only four guests!” Pinkie exclaimed happily as she bounced around the room.

“Okay Pinkie, I think we get it” Twilight said calmly.”What about you Rarity?”

“Oh, I simply adore my parents, but staying with them is a different story. My father is a complete slob and my mother couldn’t make a dish to save her life. But, I still enjoyed it.” Rarity explained.” What about you Fluttershy darling?”

“My parents came to visit me. We didn’t really do anything special. Angel wasn’t very happy about them being there though.” The Pegasus said quietly.

"Seriously Fluttershy, when is that bunny ever happy?” Rainbow Dash asked sarcastically. “My Family Appreciation Day was totally awesome! My dad and I spent the entire day doing all sorts of tricks and stunts!”

“That is pretty awesome Rainbow.” Twilight acknowledged. ”so what did you do with your mother?”

“I never knew my mother.” Rainbow replied as she picked a Daring Do book off the bookcase. She turned to see
everypony staring at her “what?” “
That’s awful!” Rarity exclaimed dramatically.

“I know! Every filly should know their mother!” Pinkie exclaimed as she ran between Rainbow and her friends. “I wouldn’t know what to do if I didn’t know I didn’t know my mother. Oh, I know! I’d look for her!”

Twilight’s face lit up.” Pinkie Pie, you’re a genius!”

“No I’m not, I’m a pony!”

“Rainbow why don’t we help you look for her?”

“I must agree with Twilight’s idea.”Rarity added.

“Thanks, but no thanks guys.” Rainbow replied.”I already know what happened to my mother. My dad told me that she was a free a spirit that couldn’t be tied down. So she’s off traveling the world.”

The other ponies looked at each other before looking back at their rainbow-colored friend.

“uh, RD did it ever occur to you that yer pa might be lyin’ to ya?” Applejack asked.

“Of course not! My dad would never lie to me!” Rainbow Dash exclaimed.”What would make you think that?”

“Think about it Rainbow. Even if your mother was a free spirit, she still should have came back to at least visit her daughter and husband.”

Rainbow Dash didn’t like where this conversation was going.” Well what do you know?! I’m sure my mom had her reasons for not coming back, but that never bothered me.”

“um… but I remember every Family Appreciation Day when we were foals that you wanted to know where your mother was.” Fluttershy pointed out.”Then you’d tell me that your father said she couldn’t make it.”

Rainbow Dash had heard enough. She rocketed out of the library, leaving her friends behind.

“I don’t get it.” Twilight said.”Why wouldn’t Rainbow want to find out the truth about her mother?”

“Ah reckon she does, but she’s afraid of what she might find.” Applejack commented.”And it was a rather personal problem that we shouldn’t try to interfere with.”

“but we’re bestest friends, she knows that share anything with us!” Pinkie Pie said sadly.

“That is true.” Rarity replied as she put a hoof on Pinkie’s shoulder. ”but some things just have to be handled alone.”
Rainbow Dash tried to forget about the conversation she had fled from, but try she might, the entire event kept replaying itself inside her head. She knew her friends were right, but Rainbow didn’t want to believe it.

That’s when the questions started to fly. “Why would my dad lie to me? What really happened to my mom and who was she? Could my dad have been lying to protect me?” she thought. Rainbow didn’t have the answers, but she did know where to find them.

It didn’t take long for Rainbow Dash to get to Cloudsdale. She quickly flew to the outskirts of town where a medium sized cloud housed hovered. She knocked on the door and waited for a second, before a cyan colt with a blond mane and tail answered.

“Rainbow Dash, what are you doing here?” the colt asked.” Didn’t get enough awesome the other day?”

“Yesterday was great dad, but it would have been twenty percent cooler if mom was there.“ The colt began to fidget. ”N-
Now Rainbow, I’ve told you why she’s not here.” He backed out of the doorway as his daughter entered.

“What you told me was a lie.” Rainbow said as she sat on the couch. “Why?”
Her dad sighed. “I have my reasons.”

”What reasons?!” Rainbow Dash yelled. “I want answers! You’ve made up excuses to keep me in the dark about my mom. Just tell me who she was!”

“No, Rainbow.” her dad said sternly.

“Why not?!”

“Because I can’t!” He yelled causing Dash to jump in fear.”I just can’t …

Dad?” Rainbow said softly.
“Wait there.” Rainbow’s dad left the room. He soon returned with a scroll under his wing and handed it to Dash.” I can only tell you a few things. All those years ago, when I met your mother, we didn’t exactly have a relationship after a series of
traumatic events, you were born. Your mother left afterwards and only left that letter.”

Rainbow Dash unrolled the scroll and read it out loud. “Dear Sonic Blitz, I have enjoyed the time we spent together and I’m sorry for all the pain I have caused you. I left this letter to ask you for one more favor. I ask you to raise our daughter, Rainbow Dash, while I return to my work. Nobody can know about the thing that we have done, not even Dash. I know she’ll ask about her mother one day. When the day comes, give her this letter and tell her to search for me. I’m sorry that I have to leave when things were getting good. love, yours truly”

“So, I have to go find her myself.” Rainbow Dash said to herself.” Looks like I’ll need my friends help after all.” She rolled up the letter and put it underneath her wing. “thanks dad, I just have one more question.”

“Oh boy.” Sonic Blitz sighed. “Okay kiddo, fire away.”

“What was so traumatic about you and mom?”

Sonic Blitz shuddered. ”you’ll find out soon enough. It’s getting late, do you want to stay here for the night?”
“Yeah, I guess.” Rainbow Dash yawned. She slowly fluttered up the stairs and to her childhood room. The walls were dark blue and littered with Wonderbolts memorabilia. The tired Pegasus climbed into her bed and fell asleep, but not before a vital question popped into her head. “How the hay am I supposed to find this mare?”