• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 1,683 Views, 37 Comments

Rainbow Origins - Darklex46



Everyone is curious about Dash's mother since she never knew her and set out to find out who she is

  • ...
4
 37
 1,683

chapter 5

Rainbow Origins Ch. 5

Three days had passed since Rainbow and Twilight had scoured the library for books holding answers to the pegasi’s dreams. Unfortunately, they could not find anything. From then Rainbow spent her days managing the weather, resting, and waiting for Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie to return.

Having nothing to do today, she decided to catch up on some much needed sleep on a drifting cloud. However, she was abruptly awakened by the sound of her friends calling her name. Rainbow Dash peeked over the side of her cloud to see Twilight, Rarity, and Applejack below. Each had a worried expression on their face.

“Hey guys, what’s wrong?” She asked as she glided down to them.

“Oh, Rainbow, it’s awful!” Rarity cried. “Sweetie Belle and Applebloom have gone missing!”

Rainbow looked at Twilight and Applejack. “Is she just overreacting or is this as serious as it sounds?”

“It’s serious alright. We ain’t seen flank or tail of ‘em since yesterday.” Applejack explained. “At first Ah thought that they were doin’ their crusadin’ somewhere, then night fell an’ Ah still hadn’t seen ‘em. At that point Ah figured that they were sleepin’ over Rarity’s again. Ah went over there this mornin’ tah get Applebloom, but Rare said she thought they were mah place.”

“We already searched all over Ponyville, but we can’t find them!” Twilight added.

Rainbow frowned. “Not trying to sound inconsiderate or anything, but if that’s the case, why are you here?”

Rarity sighed. “Because Scootaloo is gone too.”

Rainbow’s eyes widened to the size of saucers. “Not my number one fan! We gotta find them. I need my hero worship!”

“Really, Rainbow?” Rarity asked. “And you dare have the audacity to call me shallow?”

“I mean her parents must be really worried about her. Let’s go her!” She began to fly off, but stopped. “Um, where are we going again?”

. . .

“When I get my hoofs on Sweetie Belle she is in so much trouble!” Rarity exclaimed angrily as she stepped into another mud puddle.

“An’ so is Applebloom!” Applejack agreed.

The mares trekked through the Everfree Forest since it was the only place they had to search. Even though it was the middle of the day they were having trouble navigating their way through the forest because it was so dark.

“How are we supposed to find them when we can’t see five feet in front of our own faces?” Rainbow asked.

“Allow me to take care of that.” Twilight’s horn began to shine radiantly, lighting up the area and revealing a sheer cliff directly in front of them. “Whew, that was close.”

“No kiddin’.”

Just then multiple shrill screams erupted from deeper within the forest, silencing every other random noise.

“That sounded like Sweetie Belle!” Rarity exclaimed.

“And Scootaloo and Applebloom! Come on!” Rainbow led them as they all vaulted over the cliff to the other side. They ran through the forest before eventually coming to an old, abandoned castle.

“Ain’t this the place where we defeated Nightmare Moon?” Applejack asked as they ran inside.

“That it is, AJ.” Twilight confirmed as they entered the throne room where they saw the Cutie Mark Crusaders sitting with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.

“What are you guys doing here?” Rainbow Dash asked as she walked up to Fluttershy.

“The timber wolf brought us here.” The yellow Pegasus replied. “What are you doing here?”

“We came looking for our sisters and Scootaloo.” Rarity glared at the fillies. “Who will be punished when we take them home.”

“But we were only trying to help!” Sweetie Belle exclaimed.

“Hold on.” Applejack said. “Help wit’ what exactly?”

“Help you try find Rainbow Dash’s mom.” Scootaloo replied. “Rarity told us all about it.”

The unicorn lowered her head and chuckled nervously. “Oh…”

“Cheer up, Rarity, there’s no reason to be sad or mad.” Pinkie somehow managed to pull everybody together for a death hug. “We’re all here together, plus we found something!”

“Really?” Twilight asked. “What is it?”

Applebloom squirmed out of Pinkie’s hug and made her over to the throne. On it sat a medium-sized package. “We found this! The first address says it’s from Canterlot, but we don’t know the other one.”

Twilight levitated the package over to her. “That’s weird. It says that this package is from the castle and its going somewhere in Cloudsdale.”

What’s so weird about that?” Fluttershy asked.

“The Princesses never send or receive mail that’s not from family or another nation. And the last time I checked neither was in Cloudsdale.” She explained. “Fluttershy, Rainbow do either of you recognize this?”

They both looked and came to the same conclusion. However, before either said anything, Rainbow tore into the package, revealing a note and a brand new never-before-seen Daring Do book. She read the note and quickly flew off, leaving everything and everypony behind.

“What was that about?” Scootaloo asked.

“Well the address on the package was the same as Dashie’s father’s. I guess something in the letter must have set her off.” Fluttershy assumed.

Rarity levitated the letter note and read it aloud.

Dear Sonic,

I know it’s been a while since my last letter, but lately I’ve been really busy. I know it’s not a special occasion or anything, but I want to give this to our daughter anyway. I’ve heard that she’s been looking for me recently. I wish you could tell her something about me, but we both know what will happen if you do. I look forward to seeing you again someday. Which, I hope will be soon…

Love,

Your beloved wife

The group was silent for a second before Applebloom spoke up. “So what are we gonna do now?”

“We are going to take you three trouble makers home. Then the five of us are going to head over to catch up Rainbow Dash.” Rarity explained. Hints of anger and annoyance lingered in the white unicorn’s voice.

“Aw ponyfeathers.” The crusaders whined in unison.

“We’re not going to follow Rainbow.” Twilight stated plainly.

“Why not?” Pinkie asked.

“Because she’s going to the wrong place.”

“An’ ya’ll don’t think we should tell ‘er that?” Applejack asked.

“We’d never catch up to her, plus she’ll know where she needs to go when she gets to her father’s house.” Twilight explained. “Now let’s take these fillies home. We have somewhere to be.”

. . .

“Ah don’ get it, Twi. Why are we headin’ tah Canterlot instead a’ Cloudsdale?” Applejack asked. She and the others gathered around Twilight as the train they were on climbed up the side of the mountain.

“The date on that package indicated that it was supposed to be delivered five days ago. Obviously, if you had a package that wasn’t delivered on time you would go to the post office and ask about it, right?”

“Yeah.” The mares replied quizzically.

“Say Rainbow’s father did this, but when he asked about it, the post office says that they never received the package. What would he do next?”

“Go home and wait for further information?” Rarity asked.

“That’s what a normal pony would do, but since this is Rainbow’s father we’re talking about. He would do something that would get him instant results.”

“He’d go to the city that it was sent from.” Fluttershy realized. “How did you figure that out?”

“I guessed.” Twilight proclaimed proudly.

“Wow, Twilight, that’s so out of character!” Pinkie said shocked.

“Nobody is perfect, Pinkie.” Twilight sighed. “Anyway, if my timing is correct, we should meet both of them when we get there.”

Suddenly a rainbow streaked across the sky towards Canterlot as the train pulled into the station.

“C’mon girls, we gotta catch up tah RD ‘fore she goes an’ does somethin’ stupid!” Applejack exclaimed as they galloped off the train.

When they arrived at the post office they found the front doors completely blown off the hinges and ponies were either running out or gathering around to see what was going on. The five made their way through the crowd and went inside. There they saw Rainbow Dash pinning her father to the floor.

“How could you not tell me?!” Rainbow growled angrily.

“Not tell you what?” Sonic asked. He was still trying to process what was happening.
“That you’ve been in contact with mom all these years! All this time you led me to believe that she had left because of me or that she was dead!”

“Rainbow, I never wanted you that way.” He said softly. “It’s just…”

“JUST WHAT, DAD?! THAT YOU’RE A SELFISH PRICK OR THAT YOU JUST ENJOY SEEING YOUR OWN DAUGHTER LIKE THIS?” Tears began to stream down Rainbow’s cheeks as she backed away from her father. “I… I just want to know who she is.”

Sonic Blitz got up and made his way over to his daughter, but she just turned away every time he got close. “Rainbow, it kills me to see you like this, but no matter what I just can’t tell you anything about her.”

At this time, Rainbow Dash’s friends gathered around her. All except Fluttershy, who marched up to Sonic Blitz and began
to give him the stare.

“Mr. Blitz, I’ve known you since Rainbow and I were foals and I know that you are capable of some pretty selfish acts, but this is just unbelievable! How could you just sit here and not tell your own daughter who her mother is? Can’t you see she’s on the verge of an emotional breakdown because of you?”

Sonic Blitz cowered under the glare Fluttershy was giving him. “I do see that and its not making it any easier to keep this promise!”

Rainbow sniffed. “What promise?”

Fluttershy stopped eyeing Sonic so he could explain. “The reason I can’t tell you anything is because of who your mother really is and what she does. If I told you who she was and if anypony were to find out, it would cause nothing but trouble for the three of us.”

“So the whole reason why you couldn’t tell me who she was was because you were trying to protect us?” Rainbow asked.

“Yes,” Sonic sighed. “Look, I can’t tell anything about her but I do know someone who can. Come with me.”

They left the post office and made their way to the castle. Upon arrival, the girls were surprised at how casual Sonic was being treated by the guards and servants. The mane six followed Sonic Blitz to the throne room where the two regal princesses sat, as if they were waiting for them.

Princess Celestia acknowledged their presence and smiled gently. “Sonic Blitz, what a pleasant surprise. It’s been a while since your last visit. What brings you here today?”

“You know why I’m here.” Sonic replied.

The princess glanced at the Elements of Harmony. “So I see.”

“Princess Celestia, you know what’s going on?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yes, my dear, Rainbow. I have been watching over you for years making sure that you were in good health.”


“Um… What are you trying to say?”

Princess Celestia sighed. “Rainbow Dash, I am your mother.”