• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 16,802 Views, 570 Comments

Lunacy of Love - Akashic Brony



Spike is grown up but yet Rarity spurns his affections. A chance meeting with Luna may change everything. Both beings struggling with their inner demons, can they together find peace? Spike x Luna craziness let’s go!

  • ...
55
 570
 16,802

Chapter Nightshade - Sweetest Poison

His thoughts drifted to Nightshade, she carried with her a fatalistic mien. She had always resigned herself to die for others. She was extra actor in a script that kept her in the background so much like himself long ago. He pulled her from the shadows into the forefront on his thoughts. He made his choice. Was it willing or an unconscious impulse, he did not know.

With the least history, Nightshade was still a mystery to him, still a calling in soul told him she was no less worthy. They would have lifetimes to cultivate the flower that had begun to blossom. If the guilt of his decision would poison him, then so be it. He would see her happy.

Freya tilted her head and lifted a curious ear. “Thou wager much upon instinct. Very well.” She swung her scythe and cut the cord to the curtain of the world. Blackness filled his vision.

He blinked as the world came again into focus. Once again they were on the tower. At the center of his focus, was the gray thestral, Nightshade. She was sprawled out, blinked herself to waking.

Nightshade gasped. "How can this be I offered myself? No..." She slowly turned to Spike. "You!"

Spike nodded.

“How could you sacrifice Luna!?”

Spike stood firm. “You called to me most.”

“I love Luna, you loathsome lizard!” Nightshade lunged with lance.

Spike gritted his teeth as her lance nicked him.

“You bastard!” Nightshade gave a flurry of stabs. “Fight me as we did that night we first met!”

Spike withstood it all: bearing the scars. Each of Nightshade’s lunges would veer but a hair away from hitting his heart.

Nightshade shrieked. “I loved Luna! By choosing me you… you…” Her fangs extended as she leapt upon Spike.

He braced himself as her fangs punctured his neck. He staggered a step from her attack, but bore it. The bite’s strength soon ebbed away and gentle kitten like licks followed.

She sobbed as she tenderly licked his wound. “Why would you choose me?”

Spike smiled as he hugged her. “Because you would never choose yourself.” Nightshade had been the first to step aside. He added. "The element of Generosity and the avatar of the Night... They might be reborn...”

Nightshade shook her head. "It won't be Luna and Rarity exactly. They’re dead…"

Spike nodded. “I made the decision… you all wanted… to…”

Nightshade snarled again. “Do you know who I am? I am a demon! I revel in bloodshed! I get my thrills from kills! I am a monster! I am a soldier because it sates that aspect of my being…. I…” Her speech trailed off as her head sunk low.

“You’re more, Nightshade. I know so. I’m part demon also.” said Spike. “I have to be to have made the choice I did…”

Nightshade pushed Spike back. “I hate you for what you’ve done.”

Spike nodded. “I totally understand, it’s just you deserve a chance at happiness as well. Even if that’s not with me, that’s alright.”

She raised a hoof. “-Yet… no one has ever considered me like you have. I could… love… someone like that.”

Rarity in her generosity had given her life so the world would continue. A pane of stained glass with her likeness adorned a window of Canterlot’s hall of heroes. Her fashions and designs regained and surpassed their original prestige as her dresses sold for fortunes. The brilliance of her work defined an era of fashion, yet all wondered what wonders the artist could have produced further if she had lived. In time all those she graced in life would gather together to make her home a national museum.

Without Luna’s skill in state craft, Equestria suffered through an extended period chaos as the nation reeled from her loss. It would take maybe eons for another avatar of the night to manifest. Sensing weakness, foreign powers pounced to take a piece of Equestria. Horrific border skirmishes defined this new era. The blood of its stallions spent, more mares were mobilized into the army than ever. The carefully preserved ignorance and innocence of the public was torn asunder as the costs of an everlasting war pervaded nearly every aspect of their lives. Eventually there would come a hard won and unsteady peace.

In the period of strife, there was banner in which even the enemy respected if not outright feared. The Order of the Crimson Crescent was unique unit lead by the notorious Knight Commander Nightshade. Wresting victory from the jaws of defeat they turned the outcome of many battles. Eventual their reputation was such that the enemy mercenaries would quit the field upon seeing the red moon.

The Equestrian flags flew victoriously atop a hill. Lines of blue uniformed soldiers walked with their tails tucked between their legs. The so called ‘glorious’ legions of Prance had surrendered and were overseen by their Equestrian captors.

Pegasi landed atop the hill and saluted his officers. “Commander, the Prench General offers his saber as a trophy and congratulates you on a battle well met. He asks for lenience and the right to be ransomed.” The Pegasi soldier presented an ornate sword.

Nightshade scoffed at the fine blade. “Tell him had he polished his skills as fine as that blade, his legions wouldn’t have be routed by half his number. He can take his false chivalry and shove it. I want no special accommodation given.”

The soldier saluted and flew off with his orders.

“Harsh. You’re a merciless mistress.”

“Bah, I’d execute them all if you weren’t in earshot. Your softness is rubbing off on me.”

Spike hefted his rocket lance onto his shoulders. “If the Prench auxiliaries had entered battle a little earlier, we might have not won.”

Nightshade laughed. “Neighpoleon’s armies are too used to fighting in formations with their leader calling all the shots. Individual initiative and tactical thinking has been bled from their officer corps. When we severed their chain of command their lesser officers couldn’t cope.”

Spike chuckled at Nightshade’s ever analytical style. “Maybe they just turned tail because saw your feral side.”

“You may see that side yet tonight.” Nightshade bore her fangs and licked them.

Spike recognized the signal and rubbed his neck anticipating the pain… and pleasure. “Again? You’re insatiable.”

Nightshade chuckled. “Well, we’ll give you time rest and only satisfy one of my appetites tonight.”

“Yes Commander!” Spike saluted.

Nightshade looked skyward at the blue sky. The white impression of the moon was barely visible.

Spike arched his head upwards to look on as well.

Nightshade spoke, softly. “Spike, these past few years, we’ve gotten to know each other so deeply. I always thought such happiness was meant for others. I’ve only ever served others. It is strange... I no longer feel guilty being happy.”

Spike nodded. “I started as a librarian’s assistant. I watched as others rose to greatness. Maybe it’s time for us live our lives for ourselves?”

“You’re one to speak.” Nightshade’s sanguine eyes watered. “Spike… I see it in your eyes, though, that guilt. I know you. There are moments you want to fully smile but you can’t… In battle, you’ve grown reckless as of late.”

Spike choked.

Nightshade leaned in and hugged him. “You once taught me the value of my own life, please then don’t dare to value yours any less.”

Spiked sighed, letting his tension go. “Thank you.”

Nightshade rubbed her hoof nervously. “These battles we’ve won, they’ve bought us some time. I think we could rest a while… if you wanted?”

“Is the military career mare, saying she wants a break?”

Nightshade said, blushing. “Yes, a break with you.”

Spike poked her with a claw. “Why are you blushing over that? We’ve done things-”

Nightshade shouted. “Shut up!”

Spike smirked as Nightshade drew the wandering eyes of many in the Canterlot streets. Her crimson dress matched her scarlet eyes. He walked with her in his own tuxedo.

Spike grinned. “This definitely beats the maid outfit.”

Nightshade grumbled. “I will destroy you.”

“I think you look just as good in a real dress as you do in a steel dress.”

“What if we’re ambushed? There’s no battle saddle to mount my lance. I-”

Spike placed his claws on her face and gave her a reassuring smile. “We’re on leave, no more war talk.”

Nightshade nodded. “Okay, but my choice of venue.”

Spike had found it always interesting that Nightshade once took him to a club which had a lively party scene. Whereas that had been lively, this was crazy. Music pulsed in the background with a rumble that roared through their very hearts. The patrons seemed to be vampires, predatory species, or other unnatural beings. The allure of danger clung to the air as did the aura of unbidden appetites.

Spike flicked his tongue playful in her ear. “How does uptight and upright Ms Nightshade know of such places?”

Nightshade rolled her eyes. “Is Mr. Dragon complaining that I’m treating?”

It had been a hearty meal topped off with glasses of ‘red wine’. Nightshade had slowly moved to his side of the booth as she finished off her drink. Spike had grown an appreciation for it as well. His previous vegetarian ways, had only worsened his want. With her help, he’d grown closer to his draconic predatory nature perhaps comfort would come in time with control.

He spotted a yellow mare with pink hair close the curtains of her’s and large red pony’s booth.

“Flutter-?”

He was pulled away by Nightshade’s hooves.

Spike pulled on his suit’s collar as he began to sweat slightly. “Why are there curtains in these booths?”

Nightshade flicked her fangs.

He’d become familiar with her signals now to know what it meant. He returned the gesture and was pounced upon by a voracious predator. This time and on to eternity, he’d match her passion with his. To deny their instincts was to deny life. Animals they were, living and loving, there was no shame in being.

Author's Note: