• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 16,720 Views, 570 Comments

Lunacy of Love - Akashic Brony



Spike is grown up but yet Rarity spurns his affections. A chance meeting with Luna may change everything. Both beings struggling with their inner demons, can they together find peace? Spike x Luna craziness let’s go!

  • ...
55
 570
 16,720

Chapter Rarity - Forever Shine

The element of Generosity was yet again giving herself away. A flawed diamond as she was, Rarity had proven redeemed herself many times in his eyes. Ultimately, she even gave away her happiness for his. In his darkest moment, his first love sprung first to mind. He thought of begone days of his innocence pining for her and in her company.

Mortality and Rarity, despite everything, was a shining star, brief and brilliant. A mortal with her perspective was something so exceptional eternity could pass without a Rarity. Every frailty was perfection for him. He would cherish her so long as she lived.

Freya nodded. “Interesting choice. Enjoy thy time.” She swung her scythe and cut the cord to the curtain of the world. Blackness filled his vision.

He blinked as the world came again into focus. Once again they were on the tower. At the center of his focus, was the white mare, Rarity. She stirred slowly then frantically swiveled her head around.

“Spikey, where are the others?”

Spike choked, his mere look was enough to convey to her what had transpired.

Rarity’s eyes watered. “Why my darling Spikey, don’t you want to happy? I told you that I wouldn’t get in the way.” She gripped her heart. The shadow of Sombra bled from her. “Luna… is…was the leader of Equestria and Nightshade was a Commander… they… I’m not worthy… Spikey.”

Rarity collapsed again near to fainting.

Spike caught her in his claws. He shivered to find her flesh so cold. “Rarity… I chose you.” He hugged with his claws and wings letting his warmth wash over her. “All my life I’ve felt inadequate for you, don’t you start.”

Rarity shook her head while burying her muzzle in his chest. She cried. “Spikey, I’m not worthy! This is a dream.”

Spike hugged her harder. “Rarity… yes you are. To me you always have been. Yes, it’s a dream, it’s our dream.”

Slowly warmth returned to Rarity. She hugged Spike back. “No male has ever made a mare happier.”

They embraced with the blue boundless sky as the backdrop. While Rarity closed eyes, Spike held his open for a moment more.

Nightshade as Knight Commander had done much of the dirty work that preserved the republic. Despite her dark duties, she had remained incorruptible. Officers to take up her tasks, however, were less than stalwart and corruption would taint them. Periodical purges laid bare their sins and eroded many’s faith in the institution of the Republic. Redeemed in death, she was given full honors of her rank and memorialized in statue form at the New Knight Academy. Many of her exploits and services remained classified for national security.

Without Luna’s skill in state craft, Equestria suffered through an extended period chaos as the nation reeled from her loss. It would take maybe eons for another avatar of the night to manifest. Sensing weakness, foreign powers pounced to take a piece of Equestria. Horrific border skirmishes defined this new era. The blood of its stallions spent, more mares were mobilized into the army than ever. The carefully preserved ignorance and innocence of the public was torn asunder as the costs of an everlasting war pervaded nearly every aspect of their lives. Eventually there would come a hard won and unsteady peace.

Spike walked through the dress shop. As of late it seemed steel dresses were half of the merchandise on display. Through a combination of his dragon fire and Rarity’s design, they broke heavily into the armor business. The new period of turmoil meant business boomed. Functional and aesthetically pleasing, their armor suits saved many lives of soldiers and were sought after by nobles that would never see battle. They charged nobles triple and used the proceeds to help make more armor for soldiers.

He climbed the small flight of stairs following the familiar whir of her sewing machine filmed the room. The little sewing machine light illuminated the cobalt bolt of cloth she was working with. Spike rolled his eyes; Rarity was still the workaholic he knew. Feeling frisky he sunk low to the ground and stalked forward.

“Darling, I’m pregnant already. Naughty Spikey.”

Spike sputtered with a puff of smoke coming out of his mouth.

Rarity turned about, shook her head and tapped his nostrils. “No smoking at home.”

Spike smiled. “Yes dear.” He arched his head over her to inspect her latest project. “Don’t those clothes seem a tad small?”

“Spikey, think of the baby! She must have the best!”

Spike flicked his tongue, teasingly. “I’m sure the other babies at the nursery will be super jealous.”

Rarity shook her head at her husband. “Darling, you can be so clueless. I’m making her filly clothes.”

Spike grinned. “How do you know we’re having a girl?”

Rarity and her sewing machine spluttered to a stop. She slammed her head onto the table speaking to herself. “Grrrrr Rarity you are so stupid. Now I have to make another set.”

Spike placed his claws behind her shoulders and massaged Rarity. “You work when you’re nervous.”

The white mare deflated as the air whistled out of her chest to her mouth. “Oh poo, I know.”

“I spoke to Twilight, she says a few more treatments, you and the baby will be free of Sombra’s curse.”

Rarity touched the diamonds on her flank. Her cutie mark was clearing up as the dark diamonds became crystal clear once more. “…She also told me that the curse was extending my life.” She looked at him with weak eyes.

Spike deflected as he continued massaging her shoulders. “That’s future Spike’s problem.”

Rarity stood firm. “Seriously Spikey, what will you do when I’m gone?”

Spike paused. It was the rusty nail driven into him that had infected his soul.

It was question he pondered through the time they had together. In the flurry of their daily activity he tried forgetting.

Rarity turned around and looked him into his eyes. She struggled with her words. “Spikey, I want you to promise me that you won’t go off into some mountain and close yourself off… or join the army and fight on that dreadful front seeking… to end yourself.”

Seeing Rarity her happiness so hinge upon his, he had an answer at last. He nodded. “Rarity, I think of our friends and their sacrifices. Our time together meant something. You mean everything. I could never let myself go and give that away.”

Rarity pouted still looking at him. “You didn’t promise.”

He rubbed her slightly enlarged belly. “I promise. Plus, I’ll have the children to keep me busy.”

Satisfied, Rarity lowered her eyelids and assumed a playful posture. “Children you said? Spikey, let’s try for twins then.”

“Hormones, huh?”

“Shush, Spikey…. and oh do ravish me like it was our last night.” Rarity flicked her tail swatting Spike’s nose. She sauntered off to their bedroom with pep in her step.

Spike looked back to room. Through their open window, the moon shone casting a spotlight upon at the empty cradle. It was up to them to fill it with happiness. The dream he had so long ago was a lie. To a make a measure of it real, he had to, they all had to sacrifice. In time he alone would bear the burden of its price.

Her sweet voice beckoned and echoed through their home. “Spikey?”

The niggling thoughts of ‘what if’ would not tarnish the gem in his life. Dragons ate precious jewels; often they devoured them greedily in single gulps. No, he would savor her flavor, in time her memory, till all else was forgotten but her name. He shook off his thoughts, for Rarity was his lady and the world was warmer with her glow shining into that abyss of forever.

Author's Note: