• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 16,787 Views, 570 Comments

Lunacy of Love - Akashic Brony



Spike is grown up but yet Rarity spurns his affections. A chance meeting with Luna may change everything. Both beings struggling with their inner demons, can they together find peace? Spike x Luna craziness let’s go!

  • ...
55
 570
 16,787

Chapter 7 Knights of the Night

Luna’s Captains assumed battle stances. The horde of zombie ponies surrounded them and created a ring for dueling.

Sir Fancy Pants stepped in front of Luna and faced Amorpheus. “I will duel in the Princess’s place; she needn’t sully herself fighting the likes of you. As you are versed in the dueling custom; I do declare myself, Sir Fancy Pants also known as the Thunder Bolt. You are both lucky and unlucky to witness my brilliant attack. Two times I won the Mages’ Tourney with the same attack as the opening and closing move. As Commander of the Mages’ Corp, my skill is unrivaled. My opponents did not—”

Spike and Luna exchanged exasperated looks as Sir Fancy Pants continued prattling of his exploits.

Amorpheus smacked his hoof against his head in irritation. “Such blustering, I won’t even try to remember to write that on your tombstone.”

“And there they knew I was the ultimate champion of polo—“ Sir Fancy stopped his story and smiled. “It was to distract you.”

Nightshade leapt to run her lance through Amorpheus on his left side. “Stay dead!”

Sir Fancy Pants’ larger-than-average unicorn horn wasn’t just for show and he proved it. The lightning spell bolt he fired was the size of an average pony.

Amorpheus shot upwards avoiding Nightshade’s lunge. Nightshade blinked as the jump was beyond the capability of mere muscles. Sir Fancy gritted his teeth and moved his head aiming his horn. The spell ball moved midair to track Amorpheus. As the ball collided though, it hit a barrier of light and the magic missile veered back.

“Egads, a reflect spell!” The lightning ball bolt was returned. Sir Fancy was forced to cast a shield to defuse his own attack. Electricity arced into the ground as his spell fizzled out.

When the air cleared, Amorpheus returned to the ground, and Nightshade landed next to the unicorn. “I thought we had him. Something’s wrong, he moves like he has wings.”

“He shouldn’t have been able to reflect my spell either.” Sir Fancy nodded.

“Enough, I did not come for you.” Amorpheus sparked another spell from his horn. It was aimed at Nightshade and Fancy Pants, but Spike felt the residuals. It felt like passing a train tunnel, his focus shifting to the one beam on the center of his mind.

Fancy Pants fell onto the ground and writhed. He pressed his hooves tightly against the sides of his head. “The battlefields of Prance! Fleur De Lis! I did not know it was you! I am sorry!”

Nightshade collapsed as well, bowing. Tears formed in her eyes. “No! Please don’t leave me again! I have failed! Princess!”

Spike was still processing in his head how that two of Luna’s Captains fell so swiftly. Nightshade and Fancy Pants shook on the ground as they screamed out. Their eyes were locked closed, subjected to horrors in their heads.

Luna stepped forward while whispering to Spike. “Sir Spike, save my Captains.”

Spike nodded and slung Nightshade and Fancy Pants over each of his arms. Their bodies were shivering and cold. Standing on his rear legs with such weight made him ache.

“Thou wish to duel? We grant thy desire!” Luna fired a slicing beam at Amorpheus with full intent to kill. She cut a red stroke across his throat in split seconds. Spike was startled by the pragmatic move.

Amorpheus coughed as the wound sealed itself in emerald fires. “Unexpectedly ruthless! Bravo bold Princess, were I alive that would have killed me.”

“We duel to win!” Luna’s fired again at the staggering stallion.

Her beam this time seared through his skull. Again, the wound sealed with emerald fires. Amorpheus was no longer smiling. “I can still feel pain! Try that again! I dare you!”

“Thou desires an encore?” Luna smirked and fired again.

Amorpheus generated a shield, as he planted his hooves.

Luna’s magic sparked against the barrier, pressing him back and creating skid marks in the dirt. Luna applied more pressure as sweat dripped from her brow. Groaning under the strain, Amorpheus redirected the power of the beam skyward. The shaft of light illuminated the night sky.

Amorpheus and Luna were left on the ground panting from the magical exertion. Luna snapped her head towards Spike. “Now, Sir Spike, incinerate him!”

Both Amorpheus and Spike were jolted by Luna’s words.

Luna shouted. “Combat is no time for chivalry!”

Spike was shaken from his stupor and saw his opportunity. He arched his head, and his mouth filled with fire. He unleashed a torrent of scorching death. He spat until his throat started to ache. The heat liquefied a line in the ground of bubbling mud. Finally, Spike’s flame sputtered out. All was left was a clouds of smoke. He was left catching his breath with Luna.

Spike chuckled. “I thought you were going to duel him fairly in accordance to rules of Chivalry.”

“When thou hast written the book then thou mayst lecture us.”

“Wait you wrote, Chivalry, the book?”

Luna quoted the subtitle. “Chivalry; values of a noble knight—” Luna laughed. “or should we say the night! We love puns.”

Spike sniggered. The book he had modeled a portion of his life to was written by Luna. “The author is a hypocrite.”

Luna bumped her hoof against him playfully. “Oh be silent Sir Spike, thou art knighted. We are not. Tis technically not a violation.”

Spike and Luna’s levity was cut short when the smoke cleared. Spike saw that his attack was blocked by the zombie guards that burned in Amorpheus’ stead.

Amorpheus snarled as he stood up. “Both pragmatists I see. So shall I be.”

He turned to the dead legions. “Phalanx formation! For the hive!”

The guards groaned and moaned in confusion. Tactics and complex orders were beyond the puppets.

Amorpheus sighed. “Old habits,”

He shouted. “Swarm them then, you mindless maggots!”

Luna and Spike bumped up against each other as the horde moved on them. Spike still clung onto Fancy Pants and Nightshade which did not seem to stir. The enemy’s numbers had a quality onto their own.

A large light blinded everyone as if a star fell from the sky. The closing ring was broken when six ponies smashed into the left ranks. The charge tossed enough of the guards that Luna and Spike saw their break.

As the unidentified ponies charged past Spike to engage the guards, he swore he recognized the outfits on them. He saw a Stetson hat with an apple design, a multi hued dress, and even an outfit he thought belonged to Mare Do Well. Spike and Luna ran into the alleyway, turned back, and saw their rescuer.

Rarity’s horn was glowing, in her own spell light she invoked the magnificence of Celestia coming to their salvation.

Amorpheus cried. “Kill the interlopers.”

A zombified guard shoved its lance into one of the six. The pony did not scream but rather smacked down the zombie.

Amorpheus quipped. “Our enemy uses necromancy also?”

He blasted one of the six and looked closer. The ‘ponies’ had no faces or body features. The dresses, hat, and scarfs had concealed that. “No! These are mere dolls!”

The ponyquins still fought on before Amorpheus sent a wave of magic into the ground, sending the dolls and zombies flying. Crashing to the ground, the ponyquins were broken to bits while the zombies arose anew.

“Find them!” He ordered the dead legions.

“Rarity?!” cried Spike blinking to be sure.

“Spikey and company, follow me!” said Rarity.

Luna shared Spike’s incredulity. “Lady Rarity, thy rescue was—”

“Thank me later, darling!” Rarity ran leading them. She turned her head back. “Is that Nightshade and Fancy Pants, you’re carrying on your shoulders?

“Yup.” said Spike, breathing too hard to do anything but mirror Big Macintosh’s brevity. Carrying the two while running was taking a lot out of him.

Luna smiled. “How did thee know to save us?”

“Darling, you were just outside my house. I heard the most terrible commotion.”

Spike had gained enough breath to talk. “That was Twilight’s come-to-life spell used on your ponyquins wasn’t it?”

Rarity nodded.

“Lady Rarity, thou surprises us with thy resourcefulness.”

“Where to now?” Rarity asked them as they ran.

Both Luna and Spike nearly tripped in surprise.

“What?!” Rarity asked. “Well excuse me! My plan only went so far as the rescue.”

Spike considered a choice of safe havens. His home came immediately came to mind. “To the library!”

Squads of dead guards blocked their path out of the alleyway.

“Use thy fire!” Luna shouted.

Spike blew a hot jet of flames, roasting no less than a dozen of the dead. The zombies seemed to have an aversion to it, and they made way for them to pass.

Rarity pounded on Twilight’s door.

A voice came from inside the tree house. “I’m coming! Hold your—”

“Hurry! They’re coming!” Rarity looked behind at encroaching mob. She pounding more frantically until her hooves hit Twilight’s soft head.

“Ouch! Hey!”

“Oh! Sorry dear.” said Rarity.

“Twilight, we need a shield!” Spike shouted.

Twilight noticed the horde of guards charging after them. “Are you in trouble with the law?”

Luna shouted into Twilight’s ears. “WE are the law! Now! Use thy magic, project a protective barrier!”

Twilight lifted her head, and with a pulse of magic, a purple bubble formed around the library. Twilight shared her brother’s talent for shield spells; the magic was wall solid. The guards slapped against it, groaning and moaning.

Twilight gasped. “Are those zombie ponies?!”

“Later Twi, we’ll explain! Later!” Spike brought himself and the two ponies he was carrying into the library.

Inside the foyer, they caught their breaths. For whatever worthless time it could buy, Spike secured the door’s lock.

“Those things are positively dreadful.” said Rarity, closing a curtain to avoid looking at the dead attacking the shield.

Fancy Pants stirred awake. He blinked and looked around, realizing the fact that he was on Spike’s shoulders. He shook Nightshade, and she, too, woke up.

“Old sport,” Fancy Pants said. “You’ve carried me enough.”

Spike set Nightshade and Fancy Pants down. His hind legs were relieved that he no longer had to stand on them alone while carrying the Captains.

Both Captains were still rather weak and drowsy.

Nightshade groaned, holding her head. “What was that attack? I could do nothing… I’m sorry Princess.”

Luna was forgiving towards her Captains. “Captain Nightshade, no training prepares ye for what thou hast faced.”

Spike remembered some cheap horror films he saw. Part of him fought hard to avoid speaking of cliches. “Zombies, okay I’ve seen enough movies. So we destroy the head?”

Luna shook her head. “Nay, dead resurrected through dark magic art different.”

Fancy Pants recovered enough to speak. “Princess, you say it’s a Revenant, How powerful is it?”

“Only as powerful as they were in life with that they cannot be slain through conventional means,” Luna explained. “We know only so much as their principle of existence. These are deep and degeneratively advanced dark arts.”

“Revenant, revenant, revenant, I remember reading about it in some book.” Twilight browsed the spine titles in her library. “Found it!”

She pulled out a black book with a skull on its cover. “The Necronomicon!”

Luna looked astonished by the book’s presence in the library. “This tome is forbidden. Thou keeps such dark and dangerous texts in the public section?”

Twilight squeaked with embarrassment. “It must have got accidentally placed into the master sorting pile.”

“We shall speak later about appropriate reading materials that thou places in reach of foals.”

Twilight smiled. “How about those language lessons in modern diction and forms?”

Luna coughed and looked away.

Twilight turned back to the tome. She flipped through the pages and found the entry. Everypony and Spike crowded around her shoulders as she read.

Necronomicon: Revenants

Have you jilted a lover, acquired a pesky enemy, or caused someone to hate you beyond all rational reason? Usually death solves such dilemmas. When not then, you have Revenant, a term derived Prench word ‘revenir’, meaning to ‘to come back’. Usually when these vengeful spirits or reanimated dead things come back they do so of their own will and or are given a reason. Distinct from our groaning zombie friends, Revenants retain their memories and abilities.

For how to summon one for your own nefarious purposes, go to page 123.

For learning how to probably control one before summoning one, go to page 129.

For how to deal with one before learning how to summon or control one, go to page 134.

Remember the most important principle of dark magic; have fun!

The tome’s disconcertingly friendly writing style sent them reeling back. The reverse logical order of the instructions was intentionally inviting an incident.

“What mad mare or stallion wrote this like a casual cookbook?!” asked Rarity.

“We imagine somepony, most perverse,” said Luna.

“Let’s keep reading.” Spike shrugged, he reached over Twilight with an extended claw, and flipped to the next appropriate page.

Necronomicon: Dealing with Revenants

You’ve got a Revenant, which is a whole lot worse than a case of the zombies! Don’t worry, if you were responsible for making one then, this is a simple affair. Revenants can be only be conventionally destroyed if done in the same manner in which they were killed in life. If you did the killing then try to remember which method you used. If you done lots and lots of killing to the point where it’s all a blur, then karma is a bit—

Twilight closed book before a certain bit. “That’s all that’s relevant to revenants.”

“I saw a lot of wounds on his body,” said Nightshade.

“Obviously a soldier of some sort. He could have fallen in any and many ways.” said Fancy Pants.

Spike groaned. “What if it is disease? Does that mean we’re bucked?”

Luna’s horn glowed. “Enough power can unmake most things be they magic or not.”

The lights flickered in the library.

Twilight yelped. “The shield is broken!”

The door was ripped from its hinges flying into the foyer center. The dead legions poured through.

Nightshade spun slashing several back with her lance. “Even undead, I doubt they can fight us without legs!”

She specifically targeted their limbs and was able to fell half a dozen.

“Nerves are just electrical impulses!” Fancy Pants fired a lightning bolt that electrocuted that paralyzed a couple.

Their valiant defense was wasted, Amorpheus entered into the fray. “Prepare for fear!”

His horn sparked; a serpent of darkness rushed in the entryway. The coil unwound itself inside to fill the corners and nooks of the library. It was blackness beyond one might see if they closed their eyes. The stygian void swallowed them, muffled screams and all.

A familiar field presented itself once more, and with it came the fire that engulfed it. This time there was no other presence. He was alone in his nightmare. Ponyville burned. Everything was set aflame. The boughs of the library tree house withered and cracked from the heat. The Carousel Boutique collapsed within itself as the fires devoured it. Towering above the hell-scape was Spike. He turned behind and saw the faces of his friends. The beast was no longer lurking within, but instead his consciousness and sanity resided inside the beast. The auric embers turned to ash all that it touched.

In front of him were those faces of his loved ones. Even Luna now was within the group huddled in dread.

“No!” Spike screamed within himself. His beastly body wasn’t listening as it gazed upon his friends. He feared most what he was going to do. The vision of fear and despair threatened to swallow him up.

He screamed into the void of his innermost monster. The strain tore at him with agonizing pain like wading through a pool of pin needles. He couldn’t fight it all at once. With a surged of his willpower he wiggled a toe. Next he compelled his claws to sheathe themselves. Then, he ordered his mouth closed. Each small victory gave more and more control until he felt himself expand to fill the titan body. At that moment of triumph the world ended.

Spike opened his eyes to find Amorpheus humming as he floated the bodies of his friends in a neat line. The Revenant was about to move him when he noticed him awake. Spike jumped between Amorpheus and his friends.

Amorpheus raised a brow at Spike. “How did you overcome your personal worst nightmare?”

“I had training,” Spike said. “I had the same one every night.”

Amorpheus tilted his head in curiosity. “How remarkable, your mental fortitude is your strongest asset yet.”

Spike extended his wings and made every effort to be as intimidating as possible. Light filled his mouth as fire from his throat gathered. “You hurt a hair on anyone of their manes, I will burn you to cinders. I don’t how powerful the enchantment on you is but dragon fire is enchanted on its own. I’ll keep burning you until you won’t want to come back!”

Amorpheus chuckled. The horde of zombie guards lifted their lances. Each guard pointed a lance at each of his friends. Spike swiveled his head, his heart racing. He couldn’t protect everyone. Twilight, Luna, and Rarity, he looked at them. His eyes betrayed him, and Amorpheus’ smile deepened. More guards targeted the specific three. Spike could fire blast some of the guards but not all of them. His eyes darted across the three that mattered most to him. He couldn’t choose. Twilight was his sister, and he loved Luna and Rarity. Each of the ponies seemed to be trapped in their own nightmares while he was living his.

Spike felt a knot twist his guts like a python. Clenching claws, he looked at the ponies one more time. He could certainly save one or maybe two but not three or all.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

He extinguished the fire in throat and faced Amorpheus. “I’ll do whatever you want, just… just don’t hurt them.”

Amorpheus smiled again but without the fiendish grin he held earlier. It was oddly warm for the cold corpse he was. “The greatest fire is your love and theirs. Even with these dull dead senses I can feel its zeal. True love, you love them truly… I cannot destroy that. Who am I to take that away from you when I seek the same? I will spare you this day.”

He reached out a hoof. His fedora flew spinning through the doorway. He secured the hat back onto his head and over his horn. The shambling hordes of zombies dropped their lances and marched out.

Spike was perplexed by the act of mercy; nevertheless, he kept his guard up. “Amorpheus, what are you after?”

Amorpheus chuckled. “Aren’t we all seekers of that special someone? For her… I could endure anything…”

He motioned to his body and his many sealed wounds. “...Even this…Enjoy the time you have left. Hold every second precious, you never know until… it’s gone.”

Spike rephrased his question. “What is your master after?”

“The body needed has been confirmed.” Amorpheus passed a glance at Rarity.

Spike was unnerved by the smile when he looked at Rarity. What was going on? Why didn’t he look at Luna? “What’s Rarity have to do with all this?!”

Amorpheus ignored Spike and then looked through him. “Also the message has been delivered; there is no need to continue.”

Spike turned back to look at Amorpheus’ focus as the stallion disappeared into shadows. He felt himself freeze, barely able to control his gasp.

Luna had arisen behind him… rather it was not her. Her coat was ink black, and it was as if she grew to match Celestia’s height. A pair of teal slits met Spike’s eyes, and a set of fangs hung from her jaws. Nightmare Moon stood tall, in her cold terrifying glory.

“Luna?!” Spike called out.

Nightmare Moon’s chest rose up and down as she glared at where Amorpheus stood. In her fixation, Spike did not enter her focus, even as he stood between her and her now gone enemy. This was not at the Café when Luna wanted to use dark magic… this was her becoming the embodiment of darkness.

Blackest despair gripped his heart, Luna appeared lost past the point of no return… until he saw a patch of light midnight blue still on her coat. The patch was slowly shrinking to the ebony.

“Luna! Please don’t become Nightmare Moon!” He called out again. This time, however, not even words seem to reach her. Luna was locked in her nightmare. He pulled her head towards him.

With a loud snarl, Nightmare Moon opened her mouth and sank her teeth into Spike’s neck. Her eyes were still glazed over.

Dragon scales were thick however the demonic fangs tore through them. He pulled Nightmare Moon away, gripping the wound to the side of his neck.

“Luna!” he shouted. “This isn’t you!”

Nightmare Moon responded with a hiss. She spun around, raised her hind legs, and bucked.

Spike slammed into the wall, dislodging several picture frames. He saw Nightmare Moon was still blindly bucking at the air. Luna was inside fighting, he knew it. He needed to help her fight on the outside too.

Spike timed his tackle to when Nightmare Moon was on two legs bucking. He avoided the hooves and went under. Sweeping her, he threw her to the ground and pinned her under him.

“Luna, please!” Spike begged.

More snarls and hisses came from Nightmare Moon as she flailed her hooves around in an attempt to break free.

The dark mare motioned to bite his throat. Spike offered his forehand as a sacrifice. This time he let her bite without struggling. He yelped in pain as she dug into his flesh. Gently though he spoke to her despite his hurt. “Hey, Luna. It’s me. I’m with you; it’s going to be okay.”

Nightmare Moon’s thrashing slowly embed. The tide was turning.

Spike pressed his lips onto her muzzle and softly kissed her. He closed his eyes, offering his faith, and imagined the true Luna he loved.

There were several more violent kicks and punches, however the flailing soon ended. After moments more, the obsidian of her fur coat had receded.

“Sir Spike?” Luna was back to her soothing blue coat. Her mane wasn’t even enchanted. The irises of her eyes expanded again and her gaze relaxed.

Spike sighed in relief. “I thought I had lost you.”

Luna eyes watered. “I thought I was stronger… but the things he showed me…oh Sanguine Soul... I have hurt thee.”

Spike hugged her. “It’s okay. That wasn’t you.”

A sudden pain forced him grip the side of his neck. He fell to the floor as he groaned, the wound searing like an acid.

“Sir Spike?!” Luna gasped.

“Just… a little injury,” Spike breathed

Luna inspected the wound and saw the mark of a pair of fangs. A dark residue was dripping from the holes. Instinctively, she lit up her horn and touched it against the openings. The blackness subsided, and the wounds closed to leave behind a pair of scars. Immediately, she got Spike back up to his feet.

“Thank you,” he said.

Amorpheus’ departure seemed to have ended everyone’s torture. After his wound had been sealed, Spike turned toward his friends.

“Is everyone alright?!”

“Spikey!” cried Rarity, jumping to him. “I had a terrible nightmare… you were in it. Everything was… There was a field—”

“Of fire?” asked Spike.

“How did you know? I’ve been having the same nightmare for weeks… I never told anyone.”

“Rarity, we’ve been having the same nightmare?”

“Wait Spike, you’ve had that nightmare?”

“There’s no possibility it would have been the same,” said Spike. “You aren’t a dragon.”

“I was something else…” said Rarity. “I became a monster… I was so scared. My friends and you… were looking at me… it’s been weeks... but the dream this time was so vivid.”

Luna cleared her throat. “Sir Spike and Lady Rarity, this warrants investigation. We must prepare a journey into Dream Space; there we must consult with the Lord of Sand.”

“Luna, everyone is tired,” Spike said. “You included. Perhaps we could get a real night’s worth of sleep?”

Luna nodded.

Nightshade hissed. “The same spell, we fell again.”

Fancy Pants nodded. “That attack, I knew of no defense.”

Spike looked towards Twilight, who didn’t seem to have recovered. His heart stopped as she lay there motionless.

Twilight popped up and rubbed her head. “What was that… my nightmare?”

“Twilight, you’re alright!” Spike pulled them all in a tight hug, even Nightshade. Luna and Rarity smiled from the sidelines. They yelped as Spike pulled them into the embrace with his outstretched wings. “You’re all alright.”

Morning had come. A fresh batch guards patrolled Ponyville, amongst the Earth Pony lancers and Pegasi, there were now blue cloaked Unicorn elites. Nightshade and Fancy Pants walked through a magical image curtain erected to cordoned off sections of the town. The curtain served as a two way mirror of kinds allowing those inside to peer out but those outside were simply subjected an illusion. Behind the pleasant mirage of a continued street blemished only by red tape, Guards worked to clean and clear last night’s gruesome carnage. The fallen were counted and carted off.

Fancy Pants walked and talked with Nightshade. “Her majesty sure picked a time to draft me back into the guard… That Amorpheus, interesting fellow, he brings the dagger to our throats then takes it away. The message is clear; fear.” He groaned. “I still can’t get those horrors out of my head.”

Nightshade bit her lip. “I planned the defenses in Ponyville… I should have brought out the Mages’ Corp. The mages might have been able to detect the enemy.”

Fancy Pants placed his hoof on Nightshade’s shoulder. “I could have insisted deploying my Mages’ Corp. Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve those words I believe are the mantra of madness. You can’t afford second guessing yourself. Miss Nightshade, you planned the best defenses you were able, no one is to blame when we do our utmost.”

Nightshade shook away Fancy Pants’ hoof. “That sort of lazy thinking may be fine for you but now I got a platoon’s worth of names to add to squad lost at the Café raid… all fine guards.”

Fancy Pants sighed, sorrowfully. “The casualty rate is high, living past your commission is an accomplishment. That's why we keep the usual recruitment and hiring to single male bucks with fewer to mourn them.”

Nightshade hissed as she saw a mint green unicorn mare casually grazing on shrubbery through the image curtain. “Yet nopony asks why four-fifths of certain towns' population is female? This is a land of sunshine and rainbows; do they know how much blood goes into maintaining that illusion?! How much blood was spent building it?” Nightshade spat. “Stinking herbivore sheep.”

Fancy Pants raised an eyebrow at the vampire bat pony. “We're all herbivores. I know you can’t completely supplement your nutrition on blood packs either.”

“You're a carnivore if you're in this line of work. I'm sure you had more than your ‘taste’ of red in Prance, didn’t you… Mage Killer?”

Fancy Pants dodged the accusation by yawning. “Say am I ever glad we swept the streets before morning came. Those ponies asleep shall be waking up now. Whatever disturbance here they’ll write it off as a bump in the night. Last night they had the sense to stay in their homes.”

“Maybe they should know though how hard it is; to keep the borders up, fight off the monsters, and the many times when their little world could have ended.”

“They’d never sleep and I imagine neither could you. The Royal Guard’s duty is the preservation of peace, including that of the mind. Nowhere else have I been in the wide world can ignorance be called good. I rather prefer if our families and foals weren’t in the know.”

“How about your wife, Fleur De Lis? Does she know you risk life and limb?”

“I’m afraid so... I married into the profession as it were. She’s a model now, but we met on the Battlefields of Prance… and not as allies either.”

“A war trophy?”

“Nightshade, enough. It’s too cloudy a day for your brand of darkness.” Fancy Pants turned away.

Nightshade looked at the sunny skies but then stared at the gray tarps that covered up the recently fallen. Guard ponies loaded grim body bag after body bag onto carts. “A cloudy day indeed.” She gasped as she saw several charred corpses. Dragon fire was a fearful thing in its effects.

“I say Spike did a good job protecting the Princess, didn’t he? The lad was also the first of us to overcome that… attack…”

“Calling a fully grown dragon lad?”

Fancy Pants grumbled furiously. “Don’t discriminate. You bat ponies weren’t so welcome when you all so suddenly emerged from your hibernation. If we didn’t spread the lies about you lot being friendly fruit bats I doubt you could walk in the streets.”

Nightshade hissed. “I was just saying that he’s grown up. I don’t care he’s dragon, not anymore. He’s proven himself.”

“Alright then.” Fancy Pants retracted his vitriolic tone as the cause was taken from his argument.

“His involvement worries me. I should teach him control exercises. Bloodlust can be an asset if properly directed, but the red haze of battle can overwhelm most minds.”

“That’s the first time I’ve heard you express concern for anyone other than the Princess or your bat Guards.”

Nightshade blushed and snapped. “He’s a capable protector of the Princess, that’s all!”

“Sure,” said Fancy Pants snickering. The stallion then became solemn as he looked to the charred bodies. His morose tone was a departure from the fun jousting. “After that Amorpheus fellow departed, a great many guards turned out to have been simply brainwashed instead of dead puppets. We slew them all the same. Should we tell Spike?”

Nightshade was dispassionately calm. “It made no difference, the guards were a threat.”

Fancy Pants turned to Nightshade.“By thunder, by Celestia! You knew!”

“Of course, I sensed that before they attacked.”

“Why didn’t you say anything?!”

“Princess Luna requested for my silence.”

Fancy Pants’ jaw fell open. “She knew too?”

“Who could tell in that battle? The enemy supplemented their ranks with both dead and mind puppets… I could have killed some. In battle we can ill afford hesitation. The brainwashed were simply weak willed.”

“That devil’s attack, I recall felled us just the same. We could have been puppets just as easily.”

Nightshade gnashed her teeth in anger and anguish. She then calmed herself. “Fancy Pants, you spoke of duality in the Guard’s role; preservation of the peace and the peace of mind. If Spike asks about the guards, direct him to me.”

“Will you lie?”

“This nation is a lie. I think one more won’t topple the Republic.”

“For the sake of the republic, I suppose a lie could be called noble. I suppose as knights of the night working within shadows is given. Equestria prevails.” Fancy Pants snorted with disgust at no pony in particular. “I’m tired; I’m going to get some rest.”

Nightshade lowered her head. “You do that, I have bodies to bury.”

After he departed, she could not bear staring at the gray tarps no longer. Nightshade walked into a blind alleyway and collapsed leaning against a wall Her tears soaked the dusty ground. “It was cloudy… now it’s raining.”

She laughed for sorrow.

Spike awoke snuggled up to Rarity, Luna, and Twilight. He was sprawled out on the four mattresses; Rarity was on his right using his wings as a blanket, Luna on his left hugging his arm, and Twilight slept next to Rarity with her own blanket. In their exhaustion and the coldness of the horrors they faced, the impropriety of a male resting in the same room as mares was ignored. Instead they basked in the body warmth of each other, hoping it would help them. The impromptu sleepover was Twilight's inspired idea, and afterwards, few words were exchanged as they promptly gave into their collective exhaustion.

Looking out the window, he saw the sun had reached its noon zenith. He considered how Fancy Pants and Nightshade had volunteered to settle the mess; he hoped that they would get some rest as well. The absence of nocturnal terrors made the dreamless sleep rejuvenating. As he shifted slightly a piece of rock poked him. He reached under the pleats of his scales and pulled out the heart diamond ring lovingly carved for Rarity.

His movement had awoken the said mare; Rarity smacked her lips as she came to consciousness.

“Rarity,” He sat up along with her.

"Spikey, you've been having nightmares too?"

"Yeah, they get pretty bad. I've had them for a while. It's been months… some nights I just stay up until I can't help but sleep.”

“Darling, you’re so brave…”

“Speaking of brave, your move with the ponyquins saved our lives. What possessed you though? You could have gone to get help.”

Rarity smiled. “To who? From my second story window it looked like your trouble was with the Guards. I saw you needed help; you were surrounded those guards and pointy needles. I didn’t care why they were after you. They were going to poke holes in your fabulous scales; I simply couldn’t permit such a crime against fashion to occur!”

“Wait, you thought you were attacking real Royal Guard ponies just for me?”

Rarity eyes shrunk in realization then she gave a kindly smile. “Oh Spike… as of late, it seems I’m doing all sorts of crazy things. Things most unbecoming of a lady, I suppose it’s all because of a certain drake.”

“Please don’t, I couldn’t bear to see you hurt.”

“My dear,” Rarity brought up a hoof that stroked Spike’s cheek. “Chivalry is nice, but it sets unrealistic standards, and it can be too much… at times it can be misogynistic. I prefer my civil liberties over having stallions open doors for me. A true lady does not sit on her laurels while her friends are in danger.”

Spike was left awestruck as his world view was rocked ever so slightly. He let her words sink in.

“Lady Rarity.”

They nearly jumped to their feet from Luna’s voice. Spike observed Luna had a habit of listening in unnoticed. After he and Rarity settled back down from jumping up at her surprise entry, Luna continued.

“Lady Rarity, thou exemplify the spirit of chivalry. We wrote that book long ago, not for stalwart stallions, but for all. Generations saw the text as they preferred to see and their children afterwards. Misinterpretation has corrupted the main message through many transcriptions. Were we to write the tome anew, thou would be on the cover.”

Rarity smiled, nervously at her praise. “Princess, thank you.”

“Call us Luna. Thou art a friend now.” Luna tried draping her a wing over Rarity.

Rarity slid away and hesitantly used the new informal address. “Luna,” She swallowed then proceeded to cut to the threadbare issue. “What about Spike? I can’t see us as friends while fighting over him. I love Spike; I won’t be swept under your wing as a ‘friend’. I will not surrender my Spikey Wikey.”

Luna sounded sadly in her tone. “As your Princess and servant to our subjects we are expected to give thee the right of way. That is what some would call chivalry and nobility…”

Luna then narrowed her eyes and conveyed all the seriousness of her words. Rising onto her hooves she spoke with her earnest voice. Luna’s language lapsed again. “I love Sir Spike also. It pains me it must be this way. Nay I say, I will not sway! For once I shall fight for my personal happiness; Sir Spike is worthy as much. I will not give up what is mine. If war will be what it takes… then so it shall be!”

“Fine!” Rarity huffed and puffed to match the Princess. She rose to her hooves as well. She reared up on her hind legs to meet Luna eye to eye. Rarity’s voice burned with truest passion that made her usual dramatic antics seem like foals games. “Spike and I have history! I won’t betray that! To that end I will even fight a Princess or goddess!” This time, different from at the Cafe, Luna’s intimidating presence had no effect.

Both mares, matched in dignity if not stature, readied for combat. The words were tantamount to declarations of war. Spike looked mortified at the opening volley of hostility. He was an object tossed between them, yet he couldn’t voice objection to their treatment since he couldn’t decide either. Indecision was what was killing his heart.

Twilight seemed to have heard at least the first fighting words. “What the buck is going on?!”

Author's Note:


Rarity: “I will cut you! SEWING SCISSORS of FATE!”
Luna: “Drown in sorrow! MERCILESS MOON TIDAL CRUSH”
Twilight: “Wait!!”
Rarity and Luna: “What?!”
Twilight: “Let me get popcorn!”
Spike: "Twi?!"

There is now a group dedicated to fight scene choreography and conflict in general. Check it out! Pony Combat!!! Fight! :twilightsmile: