• Published 9th Feb 2014
  • 2,032 Views, 15 Comments

Humans, Rainbows and Diamonds - RariDashFan



A human living in Equestria has a generally easy life. Friends, a home, a job and a life. Things are about to change as a friend grows distant. What will the future hold?

  • ...
35
 15
 2,032

2 - Revelations

The next day, Martin awoke groggily, stretching his arms into the air whilst slowly rising from his soft bed. The bedroom of Martin consisted of a bed opposite the door against the back wall of the room, with a small end table to the left and right. On the left side of the room, the general items of a bedroom could be seen, such as drawers, a wardrobe and the like. On the right, a large table filled most of the side, with writing tools and many pieces of paper stacked neatly to one side. A grand bookcase which almost reached the ceiling of the room stood proudly in the corner. The bedroom wasn’t the biggest, but it didn’t need to be, and was equipped with everything needed. It had always surprised Martin that the furniture was all so well made, considering no pony had ever built anything to suit a human before. But yet, the bed was a perfect size, and the drawers and wardrobe were the perfect size to hold human clothes. The still groggy Martin climbed out of bed wearing only his pants and stumbled out of his room and downstairs to make some breakfast. It was safe to say Martin’s eating habits had changed over his time in Equestria. Meat, although not banned, was certainly seen as being taboo, so he could rarely eat it. Mainly, his diet consisted of porridge oats for breakfast, with salads, pasta and fish being options for lunch and dinner. Martin filled a bowl with oats, added some milk and honey, then began to eat.


“Mmmm, them’s some good oats.” Martin said to himself, putting on a strange, yet comical voice. After finishing, Martin then put the bowl in the sink and went upstairs to have a shower, after which he repeated the same bathroom ritual which he had done the previous night, before getting changed into smart clothes for work. Martin looked at the clock in his living room, which read 9:30am.


“Hm, I’ve still got a good 30 minutes until work, I’ll go and see Rainbow. Maybe I can ask her about yesterday.” Martin thought to himself, before exiting his house and taking off in the direction of Rainbow’s cloudhouse.


Martin eventually arrived to the towering structure, which loomed above a large area, casting a large shadow onto the ground below.


“HEY, RAINBOW DASH, ARE YOU UP THERE?” Martin shouted in an attempt to gain Rainbow’s attention, but there was no reply.


“YO, RAINBOW, ARE YOU HOME?” Martin tried yet again to signal his friend, but yet again there was no reply.


“Maybe she’s sleeping…” Martin thought to himself. “Great, I may have woken her up now, she’s always grumpy when somebody wakes her up early.” But still, after waiting a moment, there was no reply. “Huh...strange.” Martin said to himself in a low tone, before turning away and heading to his workplace.


It was another long day at work for Martin. There was an issue with a group of ponies who believed they had been overcharged. “Who’d have thought ponies would get so angry over a couple of bits…” Martin said to his co-workers, Aloe and Vera, who all shared a laugh as Martin was leaving. “Great, now I can ask Rainbow what was up with last night, she always meets me after work.” Martin thought to himself. He stepped outside onto the cobbled street, but there was no sign of the cyan mare. “Wow, this is strange.” Martin thought to himself. “Rainbow always meets me right here, she’s hardly ever late, and would tell me if she couldn’t make it”. Martin’s thoughts began to wander. “What if she’s been kidnapped, or she’s in danger?” Martin bolted upright, with a worried expression on his face. “No, don’t be stupid, Martin. She’s not here one time and you assume she’s in danger. Wow, you’re stupid at times.” “Shut up, brain.” Martin retorted to himself.


The walk home was somewhat depressing without Rainbow. It was strange how a friend can have such an impact on his life. The world going on around him was normal, the same as every day, but Martin just looked past that, walking home with his head low, shuffling a little as he walked. Eventually, when he reached his house, he flung himself down onto the sofa yet again and thought. He didn’t realize how much of an impact Rainbow had on his life. The happiness she brought to him, the fact that there was someone he could confide in. Sure, he had other friends, like Pinkie Pie and Rarity, but Rainbow was special. He couldn’t quite work it out, but there was something about Rainbow which set her apart from the rest. He wanted to be around her more than anyone, he cared about her more than anyone. You could almost say it was… love.


“No, you’re being stupid!” Martin thought to himself, trying to disprove his thoughts. “I don’t love Rainbow! She’s just a very, very, very good friend.” Martin’s attempts were poor, and it made total sense. He was in love with Rainbow Dash. It explained why he always wanted to be near her, why he cared about her so much and why she meant so much to him. The problem was, he didn’t know if Rainbow felt the same way. She seemed to act similarly to how Martin does when they’re together, but that didn’t mean she loved him too. Thoughts were rushing around Martin’s head. He needed to clear his head and talk to someone. But who? Who could help him sort his feelings out?

“Pinkie!” He thought to himself. “She’ll be good with this sort of thing, plus she knows Rainbow almost better than anyone.” Martin then leapt up off his sofa and headed out the door towards Sugarcube Corner.


If there was one thing Ponyville was known for, it was Sugarcube Corner. A towering building located near the heart of Ponyville, it was an unmissable, unmistakable monument of a building. The decor of the bakery made it look to be made out of all sorts of sweets which looked good enough to eat, and would certainly surface the sweet tooth of any pony walking by. Martin walked towards the renowned building, opened the pink door and stepped into the main room. Suddenly, he was halted by a familiar pink pony blocking his path, Pinkie Pie.


“Hiya Martin, nice of you to stop by! Can I get you anything?” Pinkie asked in her usual happy tone.


“Hey Pinkie. I need to talk to you about something kinda private, is that okay?” Martin replied.


“Oooh, something private? A secret? Can I guess what it is?” Pinkie said, inquisitively.


“Erm, sure, if you want to.” Martin replied, in a confused tone.


“Hm...is it that Rainbow Dash didn’t show up to meet you after work yesterday so you went home all lonely and sad then thought about it and realized that you love Rainbow but didn’t know if she loved you back so you decided to come and ask me about what you should do and to help you and that’s why you’re here?” Pinkie said quickly, before smiling at the end. Martin remained silent.


“How did you even… what… I don’t…” Martin said, trying to gather his words after Pinkie’s amazing guessing. She just shrugged.
“Lucky guess.” beamed Pinkie. She then beckoned Martin to sit at one of the bakery’s many tables, before going behind the counter, fetching a tasty looking cupcake and bringing it to the table and placing it before Martin. Pinkie then sat down opposite Martin.


“I had a feeling you had something for Rainbow.” said Pinkie in a sly tone. “You two seemed more than super duper best buddies to me.”


“Yeah, I feel that way about her, I need to know if she feels the same way about me. Has she said anything to you?” Martin asked.


“Nope, she only ever mentions what you two do together, which always sounds super fun! Hey, next time you two go to the park, could I come along too? I looove going to the park, it’s always so much fun there, with the lake to swim in, and all of the other ponies to meet, and-” Pinkie replied, drifting off into a world of her own.


“Pinkie! Please can you stay on topic? This is really important to me!” Martin replied, rather assertively, bringing Pinkie to attention.


“Hehe, sorry Martin, I kinda got carried away. “I don’t know how Rainbow truly feels about you, just that she’s your bestest buddy. Sorry I can’t help you.” Pinkie said, in a rather sad tone.


“It’s fine, Pinkie, I just needed to talk to someone anyways.” Martin replied, in a brighter tone.


“By the way, Martin, I really hope she does like you too. You two would make a super cute couple!” Pinkie joyfully said in her usual bright tone. Martin blushed in response, before turning to the cupcake Pinkie had earlier placed before him and began eating, whilst in conversation with his pink friend. After finishing the cupcake, Martin reached into his pocket and pulled out a couple of bits as payment, but Pinkie returned them to him.


“You don’t need to pay for one tiny cupcake, silly. You’re my friend!” Pinkie beamed. Martin smiled in response. As this happened, a customer walked in, so Pinkie left Martin to tend to the pony, and Martin left the store, feeling somewhat better about his situation, though his main questions had not been answered. Martin made his way home, and once he arrived, decided he’d read a book to put his mind further to rest. Rainbow was the first to get him into the Daring Do series. It was surprising that Rainbow read at all, but she seemed to have good taste in books. He pulled out his copy of Daring Do and the Jungle of Terror, before lying on his bed to read in complete relaxation.


It was another beautiful morning in Ponyville, just as every morning seemed to be. Mornings were generally always bright, unless rain had been scheduled. Martin rose tiredly from his slumber. Admittedly, he hadn’t had the greatest night’s sleep ever, with all these thoughts about Rainbow going through his head. However, this lack of sleep had helped him make a decision on what he was going to do. He was going to tell Rainbow how he felt. After work, he would find Rainbow and tell her what, deep down, he’d always wanted to tell her. That he loved her. Was he mad? Probably. Did he care? Nope. Martin hurriedly got ready for the day ahead. Leaping out of bed, rushing downstairs and scoffing his breakfast of oats, before hurrying back upstairs, taking care of his hygiene and putting on his clothes for the day. He was a man on a mission. After waiting around, reading a little more of the book he started last night, Martin left his house and headed to the spa, to get through his workday. Martin was pretty distracted at work that day, which was noticeable for his customers. His usually top quality hand massages were more painful than soothing, with some customers demanding refunds. However, the time was half four in the afternoon, his finishing time for that day. Martin stepped out onto the cobbled street, ready for his search for Rainbow. However, that wasn’t necessary, as stood in front of him was the cyan mare herself, accompanied by a larger male pegasus, with light-brown coat and a light blonde main.


“Hello, Martin.” Said Rainbow, in a rather low tone. “This is Ace Thunder, my coltfriend.”


“So this is the human you keep talking about?” Ace said, in a cocky tone. “He doesn’t look as cool as you said, but whatever. Come on, Dash, we’ve gotta get training for the Grand Equestria Race.”


“Okay, Ace. Bye Martin, see you around...maybe.” Rainbow continued in her low tone, before turning with Ace Thunder, and walking away. Martin’s heart dropped as he heard those final words. He just stood there, expressionless, as if the life had been drained from him. He couldn’t believe it, he was too late. He could feel the emotions building up inside him. Sadness, jealousy, anger, it was all too much. Martin did the only thing that seemed right in the situation. He ran.