• Published 9th Feb 2014
  • 2,031 Views, 15 Comments

Humans, Rainbows and Diamonds - RariDashFan



A human living in Equestria has a generally easy life. Friends, a home, a job and a life. Things are about to change as a friend grows distant. What will the future hold?

  • ...
35
 15
 2,031

4 - Drowning Sorrows

Although Ponyville was a relatively quiet and peaceful town, there were still areas which had a bit of a “reputation”. The Horseshoe bar was one of those places, where the residents of Ponyville went to wet their whistle. Martin stepped inside the swinging double doors to see a bustling bar scene, with ponies of all sorts doing their thing. Some were sitting in the booths, rapping on about all sorts of tall tales. Some were up and dancing to whatever songs were on the jukebox, while some slumped figures at the back were engaged in a poker game. The bar was worked by a single mare, who had a tough demeanor about her. Martin went up to the bar and took a seat on a vacant stool.


“What’ll it be, hun?” The bartending mare asked Martin.


“Pint of cider.” Martin replied as optimistically as he could. The pony then pulled the tap back, releasing the glorious liquid into a glass. She then handed it to Martin, who gulped the whole thing down in no time at all, not wasting a drop, before placing the glass back down.


“Another...please.” Martin coldly demanded. The bartender took a moment before pouring another glass for Martin, who exchanged the bits and began to gulp the cider, before being interrupted by a tap on his back.


“That’s some fine drinking skills you’ve got there.” It was the stallion sitting to the left of him. He had a yellow-ish coat, with a well trimmed blonde mane. “Might I interest you in a little drinking competition? 5 pints, first one to finish has to pay for the other’s drink. You in?”


“Sorry, but I didn’t come here for games. I came here to forget.” Martin responded in the same expression he used with the bartender.


“Well, look at it this way, if you win, you’re going to forget faster and for free.” The yellow-coated pony happily said. Martin rolled his eyes.


“Sure, you’re on.”


Apparently competitions like this aren’t too common, as within minutes of the pints being poured, a whole gathering of ponies had circled Martin and his opponent. The bartender was also getting in on the competition, acting as the judge.


“The rules! No spilling pints, no touching the other competitor’s glass, first one to leave all glasses empty wins. Three! Two! One! Drink!” The bartender shouted. Both Martin and the colt picked up the glasses of cider and began to drink. They were both matching each other’s pace. One glass from both went down, then two, then three. Martin didn’t even care that he was in a competition, he was just drinking to forget. As Martin’s fourth glass went down, the colt appeared to be struggling. His pace had slowed, and as Martin raised the final glass to his lips, and poured the refreshing drink into his mouth, the surrounding crowd cheered. The colt slumped down, defeated, as Martin was hoisted onto the backs of the ponies in celebration. Martin started to smile. Maybe it was the 7 pints of cider kicking in, or maybe he was just having a good time. The defeated colt handed the bits to the bartender, before slipping away out of the bar. Martin then decided it was time to kick things up a bit. Shots.


The alcohol here was much nicer than the alcohol back on earth. That was all processed stuff. Here, it’s all made locally, and naturally. Martin didn’t care much for taste at this moment though, he was out of it. As he ordered another shot of Applejack Daniels and quickly gulped the drink, he thought he was forgetting something. About some pony, Rainbow something. Ah, it probably wasn’t important. After an obscene amount of drink, he decided enough was enough and left the bar, falling over a few times as he did so. The streets of Ponyville were almost completely empty, with but a few ponies wondering about. Martin stumbled around the streets for a while, before realising he was lost. He eventually arrived at a building that he recognised, Carousel Boutique.

“Rarity will know how to get me home.” he thought to himself. He knocked, well, drunkenly hammered, on the door, which was soon answered by a young filly, Sweetie Belle.


“Hi Sweetie Belle, is Rah-rity in?” Martin drunkenly asked. His speech was slurred, and he attempted to impersonate Rarity, but failed.


“Erm...yeah. I’ll go and get her. Rarity! Martin’s here! He’s talking all funny.” responded Sweetie Belle, before shouting for her older sister. Rarity then appeared at the door and gasped at Martin’s obviously drunken state.


“My word! You’ve been drinking!?” Rarity gasped, shocked.


“Yup!” Martin happily replied, losing his footing and falling, being suspended then put upright by Rarity’s magic.


“Get inside. Now!” Rarity demanded. She hurried Martin inside and brought him into the kitchen. “We must get you a glass of water! Oh, whatever were you thinking, Martin?” Rarity asked rhetorically, whilst pouring a glass of water. Martin didn’t respond, he was too focused on Rarity. Was she always this pretty? As she turned round, her face shone like the diamonds on her flank. She was gorgeous, and Martin’s drunken mind only thought one thing. He wanted her.


“Here, Martin, drink this.” Rarity floated a glass of water towards him, which he slowly drank. Rarity then searched through her cupboards, perhaps looking for a medicine to help Martin. Martin wasn’t focused on that though, he was too focused on Rarity’s behind. She really took care of herself, and it showed.


“Dat aaasss.” Martin drunkingly mumbled, causing Rarity to turn around.


“What’s that, darling?” Rarity replied, obviously not hearing what Martin said. He then winked at Rarity, who turned back around, confused. She then pulled a bottle of medicine out of the cupboard, poured it onto a spoon, then fed it to Martin.


“This might taste a little bitter, but it’s for your own good.” Rarity sternly said to Martin, who shuddered as he swallowed the medicine.


“I think I need something sweet to help it go down.” Martin replied, before getting up and grabbing Rarity, turning her around.


“Martin, what’re you-” Rarity’s sentence was interrupted by Martin’s lips meeting hers. She tried to pull away at first, but then succumed to the passionate kiss. When the two broke from each other, Rarity looked dazed.


“Martin… what was that for? I thought you… loved Rainbow Dash.” Rarity could hardly get her breath back. Then Martin remembered. Rainbow Dash. The pony that he tried to forget. The pony he loved who now hated him. Emotions ran through him, but then he looked at the pony he stood before. She was beautiful, her eyes looking lovingly towards him. “Who needs Rainbow Dash?”he thought. He kissed her again, longer this time, before slowly breaking.


“Oh, I can’t contain it any longer. I love you Martin. I always have.” Rarity passionately exclaimed. “Come with me, let’s take this a step further.” Rarity seductively whispered to Martin, before leading him to her bedroom. The door the shut as the two lay on the bed, holding one another.