• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 4,426 Views, 130 Comments

Scootaloo's Feelings - abdlpony



Scootaloo is not a normal filly. Deep down she knows the life she lives cannot stay that way forever.

  • ...
19
 130
 4,426

Chapter Three

Scootaloo didn’t dream that night. It took her a lot longer than usual to get to sleep and even when she did she would wake up and shift around repeatedly. By the time the sun had risen, she felt groggy and even had a slight headache. She felt the tree trunk beneath her and sighed. “Stupid tree…”

Yawning, she stood up and flapped down to land near her scooter. Least they’re good for something, she thought bitterly. She was about to reach for her scooter and then she paused. “Oh no! My job!”

Seeing that the sun was much higher than it should be on her mornings, she jumped onto her scooter and bolted away from the trees. Slowly, memories from the previous night came forward. She shoved them aside knowing they wouldn’t help her in any way. She made it to the building where her boss normally waited for her. He was there along with a stack of papers. She skidded to a halt and started breathing heavily while doing her best to give the scowling guy a friendly smile.

“I—”

“One more day. If you are ever this late again I will let you go,” he said sternly.

She gulped, actually believing him this time. “Y-yes sir.”

He kicked the papers to her and actually helped her attach the company wagon. “Now get to work!” he barked and she was off.

Stupid job, stupid tree, stupid… crusaders!” she thought harshly and hurried to get her work done. She hurried for the first few houses, hoping no ponies would be complaining about the late paper. After the next ten, she realized that nopony seemed to mind at all so she did her job at the regular pace. The last place on the list was always Twilight’s library, she left it on the welcome mat and scooted over to a nearby bench. Panting for breath and wishing she had a bottle of water or something to quench her thirst, she sighed. “Stupid job.”

For a while, she let her mind drift from random thought to random thought trying not to think about what happened the previous night. She could only distract herself for so long though. It was truly a depressing feeling to be alone again. But what choice did she have? Her friends were too… she couldn't think of something, but she knew that going back to them wouldn’t work.

Wait, I have Rainbow Dash! She can hang with me. Her spirits brightened considerably. Not like I have anything else to do today! At least that’s what she thought. There was something nagging at the back of her brain, other than ‘find some food’, but she couldn’t pin it. She shrugged and hopped back onto her scooter.

On her way to Rainbow’s cloud home, her stomach began to rumble. She ignored it and simply speeded up. I’ll find food for you later, stupid stomach. Her environment shifted from homes with thatched roofs to green plains and hills soon enough. She looked up to the house for a few seconds, then back down to glare at her wings. Stupid useless wings! Her only option aside from magically sprouting better wings was to call up, but what if Rainbow didn't want to be bothered? A sense of doubt started to form at the front of her mind. Maybe it hadn’t been the best idea to come here.

“Boo!”

Scootaloo jumped so high she nearly hugged a cloud. She fell down quickly and was about to scream when she landed with a thump. She looked around and noticed a certain pegasus was holding her and chuckling very loudly.

“Geez squirt, a bit jumpy, huh?”

“Rai-Rai-” She tried speaking but coughed a few times and shook off her nerves. “Rainbow Dash!”

“That’s my name! Last time I checked at least…” They both giggled and she set Scootaloo down on the ground. “What’s up?”

Scootaloo flopped onto her side. “Oh lots of weird things.” Dash nodded and sat down on the ground, stretching but ready to listen. “I ended up in this weird shop that had super huge baby things.” Dash stopped stretching for a few seconds but then shrugged it off and kept going.

“Heh, that does sound weird,” Dash said, unusually quiet.

Scootaloo didn't seem to notice and kept going. “And then Sweetie Belle told us she was this weird, uh…” she wracked her brain to think of the phrase, “…well, big baby thing so I kind of snapped at her. But that’s just wrong! We formed the club to find our cutie marks and grow up, bleh, stupid baby stuff. Right, Rainbow?”

Rainbow finished her stretches and went quiet for a few seconds. “Heh, sure sounds dumb to me.” She said with the same air of confidence that the mare always had.

Scootaloo grinned, glad to know she had done the right thing. Maybe she could help her teach Sweetie a lesson and then things would go back to normal. Then she blinked when she noticed that Rainbow looked ready to take off.

“Look, Scootaloo, I’m sorry to just take off, but I kind of need to meet Twilight. Do you mind if we also do your lessons next week?”

Scootaloo’s spirits instantly soured, but she had learned over time how to hold back certain body signs. It came in handy when she needed others to not notice her distress. Her smile didn't waver and her ears never flattened. “Uh, sure! Heh, I’ll keep practicing like you showed me!”

Dash nodded and was about to take off, but then she gave her a nervous grin. “Stay sweet, Scoots!” She dashed off, nearly causing a rainbow explosion in the process.

Once Dash was out of earshot, the filly threw up her hooves in irritation. “Great! Now what do I do today?” She angrily asked the grass before her. “And… stay sweet? She’s never said that before.” Unless she meant to keep my skills sweet? Her thoughts went nowhere though so she gave up on that. Tapping her hoof on her handlebars didn’t get her anywhere either so she dashed off.

She tried doing some tricks on her scooter, however her fatigue from before had completely taken over her body. One jump on her scooter later and she was already exhausted. I can’t hang out with my friends or ride around on my scooter or hang out with Rainbow! So what can I do?!

She wracked her brain to think of something that would be secluded away from others and wouldn’t take much energy. She did remember that Rainbow had said reading Daring Do was fun, maybe she could rent a book from Twilight. If Rainbow loves reading, it can’t be that bad. Plus I’ll see her there! Sweet!

She started walking her scooter in the direction of the library, with a new plan to read, of all things, for fun.


“Twilight?” She called up, not seeing anypony around, she shrugged and sat in the public viewing area. She tried to spot a section that would have the books Rainbow talked about, figuring the two were upstairs.

“Is somepony here?” Twilight called.

“It’s me Scootaloo!” she called back as Twilight popped her head over the railing. “Sorry to bug you and Rainbow, but I wanted to check out a book.”

“Um, Rainbow isn't here, sweetie. But I would be glad to get you a book to check out!” Twilight sounded like a school filly, or even Pinkie Pie, while she practically bounced down the stairs.

Rainbow’s not here? She thought that was odd but shrugged it off, maybe she wasn't here yet even though she was quicker. “I was just kind of bored and was wondering if you had any Daring Do books.”

“I sure do! Which one did you need?”

She scratched her head, watching the mare smile at her. “I guess the first one? I’ve never read them before.”

“Oh, alright then!” Twilight said, humming an odd tune as her magic kicked in. The book slowly floated down and Scootaloo snached it up. “Did you need anything else?”

“Um, no I guess not. Did Rainbow already show up, by the way?”

Twilight’s smile faded while she blinked a few times. “I’m still not sure what you mean, Rainbow Dash hasn’t been here all morning.”

Scootaloo furrowed her brow. …What? “But she said she was gonna see you today,” she said out loud before she could stop herself.

Twilight looked down in thought. “I don’t remember needing to see her later today. Still, things with Dashie can sometimes get—”

“Why’d you call her that?” Scootaloo asked, thinking it was a weird thing for Twilight, of all ponies, to say.

Twilight blushed slightly but shook it off. “Habit, its a lot easier to say Dashie then Rainbow Dash all the time, or I guess Dash. At any rate, it’s possible Rainbow needed to see somepony and mixed up the names. I couldn’t imagine her lying to you.”

“I guess everypony makes mistakes. Alright, thanks for the book, Twilight!” Scootaloo began to carry it out the door.

“Oh, no problem! Just make sure to bring it back in a weeks time!”

Outside, Scootaloo had darted off, hoping to catch some glimpse of the cyan colored mare. Even if she didn’t have practice for a week, it would still be nice to see her once in a while. After searching outside for an hour, she decided to try the mare’s closest friends, starting with Fluttershy. The book could wait, even if walking her scooter took forever.

“Hey, Fluttershy, you seen Dash?”

Fluttershy jumped a bit but composed herself when she saw who was there. “Oh, Scootaloo. No, sweetie, I’m sorry.”

She exhaled violently in annoyance causing several birds that had gathered around Fluttershy to scatter. “This is the worst day ever.”

“Oh dear, well everyday is a second chance. They can’t all be good.”

A wave of pleasant feelings washed over Scootaloo and for a moment she had forgotten where she was, but it only lasted a moment. And in that time Scootaloo had figured out that Fluttershy was using the same calm voice that Twilight was using, it again unnerved her. Not only was it the same tone her Mother often used to take, it was the same thing she would tell her on bad days. The filly closed her eyes for a moment to bite down her emotions.

“I guess so, yeah. Thank you, Fluttershy.” Scootaloo immediately perked up but was giving a fake grin. Fluttershy was no stranger to these types of smiles but merely nodded and smiled in return. She then quickly jetted off on her scooter.

Why does everypony I talk to lately have to talk like Mom?! Ugh. Her stomach rumbled all of a sudden and she sighed. I have got to stop skipping meals. Better make it to Sugarcube Corner, maybe I’ll see Dash there. She quickly applied a course correction and made it to the bakery in record time, her own records in her head that is. She found the establishment and walked inside. To her amazement she found Pinkie Pie working the register.

“Scootaloo! Hiya! What can I get ya?”

At least Pinkie doesn’t act like my mom. She cleared her throat and gave a quick scan to the treats behind the glass. “I’ll take two chocolate donuts please!” Pinkie smiled and handed over the treats. Scootaloo paid a few bits and took a seat over to the side.

Before she ate, she did a quick count on her bit bag. I’ve been spending more lately… or things are getting more expensive. Maybe I should just forage for food for the next few days. She didn't like the idea, but she had to make up for lost bits. Halfway through her first donut, she looked up to Pinkie. She knew adults, and she knew that most of them would get frustrated when doing chores or work, even she got that way. But Pinkie, she had always been happy to do any sort of work. Scootaloo munched away, wondering how she could always be so cheery all the time. At least that’s how Pinkie normally acted, but today she seemed a bit off.

“Hey, Pinkie?” Scootaloo piped up.

The mare blinked a few times and then quickly smiled and looked to her. “Yeah, what’s up, Scoots?” She cringed at that nickname but kept it to herself.

“It’s just… you look kind of frustrated. Are you okay?”

Pinkie blinked again and started to shuffle her hooves nervously. “Well, it’s complicated, Scootaloo. You see…” She trailed off, thinking it over and then sighed. “I guess I could just use a break is all. Between watching the twins, running the shop, paying bills, pranking ponies and giving Gummy a full body massage!”

Scootaloo wondered to the heavens above why exactly an alligator needed a massage.

“I just need a break, but I can’t right now. Oh well.” She shrugged and still had a smile, albeit a tired one.

Scootaloo nodded, feeling a tad sad that she couldn’t help out. Silence took over the bakery once more for a bit.

For unknown reasons, perhaps curiosity, perhaps on a hunch, Pinkie decided to ask a question to the filly. “So, how has life been treating you, Scoots?”

“Hmm, okay I guess.” She figured Pinkie didn’t need to know about the fight with her friends. Maybe I can ask her where Dash is when I’m done though.

“Hmm, are you feeling lonely?”

That was an odd question, the filly decided. Still she couldn’t just ignore it. She was feeling lonely so she nodded. “Sorta. Rainbow Dash kind of flew off from me and I’ve been looking for her I guess.”

“Huh, you know, me too. I needed to let her know a few things…” She looked back at her tail, of all things, and started wiggling it. “Usually my tail starts moving about when she’s causing pranks and mischief, but not lately.” She poked it a few times angrily but nothing happened. “Well, I’ll talk to her later.”

“But I need to talk to her now! This stinks.”

Pinkie shook her thoughts aside and began to think. “Why?”

“I just… have some problems and needed my big sister’s advice is all,” she said weakly before going back to eating her other donut to negate her nervousness.

“Hmm, you can’t see your big sister but you need advice,” Pinkie said with all the seriousness she could muster.

Scootaloo almost chuckled at how serious the pink mare was being over the smallest of things. Her own issues couldn’t be that concerning to anypony, she was just Scootaloo. Nothing special.

“Hey I know! You could ask your mom! It’s what I do when I need advice, I just write to her.”

A piece of the donut got caught in Scootaloo’s throat, and she was forced to swallow it harshly. “Well…”

“How is your mom anyway? I haven’t seen her in ages!” Pinkie exclaimed.

Scootaloo wasted no time in replying. “She’s doing great! She just gets real busy is all.”

Pinkie paused but did not move. Then she nodded. “Well, that’s good to hear. I still remember throwing her and you that first party when you both moved in. You were so nervous!” Pinkie’s normally bubbly self piped up once more.

She’s dead… Scootaloo thought bitterly while she chewed on her donut much slower.

“I still remember you hiding under that table, I scared you good,” the mare replied with a sincere giggle of her own.

“Heh, yeah that was fun alright.”

She is dead.

“It was only one of my best parties ever! Oh, first you were all…” Pinkie continued to talk and talk about the party that Scootaloo knew all too well. The pink mare had somehow gotten over her exhaustion. Every mention of her mother made Scootaloo feel angry towards the party pony but she kept it well hidden.

She… I miss you, Mom.

“Oh, and then… Hey, are you okay?” Pinkie asked in a concerned tone.

“Wha? Yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for the donuts, but I better get going.”

Pinkie nodded and stared as Scootaloo left in a flash.