• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 3,679 Views, 90 Comments

Unexpected Symptoms of Tatzlwurm Flu - novianprincess



Set shortly after the episode "Three's a Crowd", Discord discovers an unforseen, and frankly upsetting, side effect of his illness. Thankfully, he has Fluttershy there to keep things in perspective.

  • ...
3
 90
 3,679

Chapter 6

Fluttershy’s bedroom was new territory. True, Discord had seen it before, but he’d never been inside (even he had more manners than that). As the little yellow pegasus flitted about the room, humming to herself as she untucked the covers from the bed, he hovered in the doorway. What was she doing, inviting him up here? He really didn’t know what to think.

She flew past him to the bathroom and he followed, perplexed. Peeking inside, he found her brushing her teeth. She gestured for him to do the same, pointing at a second toothbrush next to the sink. He hadn’t noticed it before. He supposed that, if he needed to bathe without his powers, he'd have to handle dental hygiene unassisted too. He joined her at the sink, marveling at the domesticity of it all. Had he ever done this before? He couldn’t recall.

With the task completed, and feeling unusually minty, he followed her back towards the bedroom. “I really don’t know if this is a good idea,” he found his words at last, “I’m sure I’ll still be tossing and turning all night…not to mention the coughing, sniffling and general misery. You don’t want me in here with you.”

She fluffed the pillows. “It’ll be alright. Come here.” He remained in the door way. She smiled. “I promise. The medicine from earlier wasn’t all Applejack and I made for you. Come over here.” She patted the mattress with her front hoof.

He took one step into the room as if testing for land mines. Fluttershy shook her head, and flew around behind him, pushing him towards, and then onto the bed. He sank into the mattress, eyes wide. She picked up a jar from her nightstand and unscrewed the top. She dipped one hoof inside, and raised it covered in what looked like greenish grey jelly. “This will help with the congestion,” she said, “Lay down.”

The draconequus was too confused to do anything but obey. Suddenly she was spreading the stuff all over his chest and an overpowering scent of peppermint cut through his stuffed sinuses and he took his first deep breath through his nose in forty-eight hours. “That’s incredible,” he gasped, “What is it?”

“A poultice made mostly out of menthol leaves,” she said, “It’ll make it easier to breathe when you’re sleeping.”

“Astounding,” he said, “You’re quite the ingenious species sometimes.” He sat up. “Well, thank you my dear, but I think I’ll just go park myself on the couch down–”

She put a hoof on his shoulder and gently pushed him back down. “Don’t be silly. Stay right there.” She turned the dial on the oil lamp that sat on the dresser and the room went dark.

Apparently his powers usually provided him with night vision as well. Discord stared straight up into nothing, wondering how long it would take for his eyes to adjust. He felt the mattress shift as Fluttershy climbed up next to him, and folded his hands across his stomach, mind racing. What was she planning? Had she taken his return of her hug earlier the wrong way? He adored her, this was true, but those feelings were as innocent as could be. He was running through all the different scenarios in his head when he heard her voice, right next to his ear. “Now I couldn’t help but notice that it made you awfully uncomfortable when I hugged you before.” She began nuzzling her face against his and he felt himself freeze again. “See? You seem so scared when I touch you, but you don’t need to be. It’s alright for friends to be affectionate, and I think it would be good to get you used to that. Don’t you think so?”

He wanted to say no, that he was perfectly fine as-is, but the feel of her soft fur brushing against his was causing a lump to form in his throat. He swallowed thickly, “…Yes.”

“Ok,” she said, “I want you to hold me, all right? Don’t worry, you won’t hurt me. I’m just going to lay here…” She was nestling into the crook of his arm. “…and we’ll go to sleep like this. If you really want to get up and go downstairs, you can. But I want you to try it this way first. See if you can get comfortable.”

He let his lion arm wrap itself around her again. He was thankful for the darkness. It made him less ashamed of the fact that he could feel tears welling up behind his eyes. He took her hoof in his eagle claw and squeezed ever so slightly. He couldn’t thank her, for fear the words would catch in his throat, so he hoped the gesture would be enough.

Gradually, he felt her breathing slow as she drifted off to sleep. By then his eyes had adjusted, and he could make out the shaded details of the room in the moonlight. Dully, he hoped Luna wasn’t watching. Though, after a thousand years on the moon, she would understand more than anyone. She knew loneliness nearly as well as he. He heard Fluttershy murmur in her sleep, and almost felt guilty for letting his mind wander to anyone else. Cautiously, he stroked her pale pink mane. To think such a tiny creature has such an enormous capacity for compassion. He still wasn’t convinced he deserved it. But it felt so nice, lying there with her, that he forgave himself the selfishness. Surely that had been her intention. To allow him to indulge without judgment, in the sanctuary of their friendship.

Before he could ponder further, he had fallen asleep.

* * *

When Discord awoke, the early sunlight was pouring into the room. He blinked, trying to get his bearings. He felt something warm against his chest and looked down. At some point in the night he’d rolled over onto his side, and now, clasped in his arms like a teddy bear, was Fluttershy. He fought the urge to spring up from the bed, the events of the night before slowly coming back to him. He couldn’t believe he’d made it through the night, that he was still in her bed, that he was holding her like this. She was still sound asleep. He let his muscles relax, reveling in the feel of her in his hands. His lion paw was resting on her side, rising and falling with her easy breathing. His talon was under her head, cradling her face. ‘She’s so…warm…’ he marveled.

He was just about to let himself drift back off to sleep when he felt eyes on him. He raised his head slightly off the pillow and turned it, only to find Angel glaring at him from the foot of the bed. The chimera scowled right back. “Buzz off, fur ball,” he hissed. With a swift flick of his tail, he knocked the bunny from his perch and onto the floor. He heard quiet angry chattering, and then the padding of rabbit feet off down the hall. Smiling with satisfaction, Discord settled back into the pillow, burying his muzzle in Fluttershy’s mane. For someone who worked with animals all day, she smelled surprisingly of flowers.

She stirred, then stretched. Her eyes fluttered open. “Hmmm…?”

He cursed silently. That was what he got for pushing his luck like that. “Apologies, my dear,” he said quietly, “Didn’t mean to disturb you…”
She turned slightly, noticed the position they were in, and smiled. “You stayed.”

“Mmhmm,” he nodded. On impulse, he pulled her closer. “It seems that the key ingredient for a good night’s sleep was you.”
“I’m so glad.” He felt her body give a little shiver and lifted himself up so he could see her face. There was a tiny streak of wetness on her cheek.

“Wh..why are you…?” his own voice broke. Had he done something wrong?

She wiped at her cheek with a hoof. “I’m sorry,” she said, “I’m just so happy.” She wriggled around so she was facing him. “I wanted so badly to help you. I’m so glad I could.”

He felt his whole face flush. Now that she was looking at him, big blue eyes shining, he felt the same sensation in his chest that he’d felt the day she’d thrown her ice skates across the pond. If he could have conjured it, an x-ray of his heart would’ve shown it melting. ‘You’re a goner now, old boy…’ He shut his eyes tight. When that didn’t work, he rolled over onto his back and covered his face with his paw. He drew in a shuddering breath. “More than you’ll ever know…” he said thickly.

She shifted beside him, and laid her chin on his forehead. “It’s ok…It’s ok,” she cooed.

The liquid streamed silently from beneath his paw. He labored to keep his breathing steady, to regain his composure. What had he become? This puddle of emotional goo…like a raw nerve, feeling everything so acutely, and reacting to it all despite the constant blows to his pride. Had he really been without kindness for so long that this was what it reduced him to? He sucked in a deep breath and let it out slowly, then lowered his paw from his face. She was watching him closely. He met her gaze with just an inkling of his familiar smirk. “You’re too kind, my dear,” he said, “To put up with a pitiful wretch like me…”

She kissed the top of his head. “You’re not that at all,” she said. She leaned in and pressed her forehead to his. “Thank you for not being afraid. It means a lot that you trust me.”

He let her continue nuzzling him, amazed at how soothing her touch was. He had to admit, he did feel a bit better. “You’re a good girl, Fluttershy. I’m…I’m lucky to have you.”

Again she kissed him, on the temple that time, and then sat up. “And you always will have me, whenever you need me. I promise.” He gave her a small smile. She tapped his cheek with her hoof. “That’s more like it. That’s what I like to see.”

He chuckled, “Yes, yes. Thank you, my dear, truly.”

“You’re very welcome.” She smiled down at him. “What do you think, are you hungry?”

“Very,” he said, without having to think about it, “But…I think I’d like to stay here a bit longer, if that’s all right. Still not feeling quite like myself.”

“How about I bring something up to you?”

“That’s not necessary. I didn’t mean to imply–”

“You didn’t,” the pegasus said, “But I want to anyway. You rest up. I’ll be back with some porridge in a little while.” She climbed out of bed and shut the door behind her as she left the room.

Discord was left with his thoughts, raw nerves and all, and yet he found it easy to curl up and fall back to sleep.

* * *

When he next awoke, it was because he felt he was being watched. Fluttershy, no doubt, not wanting to disturb him. Eyes still closed, he could just imagine her, hovering in her own doorway, a bowl of porridge balanced on her back, adorably nervous. He yawned widely and blinked a few times. As the room came into focus in front of him, he found that there was indeed a pegasus watching him. Just not the pegasus he’d been expecting.

Rainbow Dash was lounging on a tree branch just outside the window. “Ya know…” she said, smirking at him, “You’re almost cute when you’re sleeping. Almost.”

The draconequus sank low into the mattress, glowering at her. “Miss Dash…” he grumbled, voice muffled by the pillow, “How nice of you to grace us with your vexatious presence…”

“Yeah,” she stretched lazily, “I figured I should check up on ya. Pinkie said you might be gettin’ ansty all cooped up in here, but I’d say you seem pretty cozy.”

He clutched at the pillow, resting his chin atop it. “I’ll have you know I’m perfectly miserable. And I don’t need you all popping in, keeping tabs on me. If I wanted to cause trouble, I’d have done it by now.”

“Yeeaahh…” she said again, rising. She hopped gracefully onto the window sill, “What’s up with that? The cottage isn’t even floating or anything.”

The chimera was saved from having to respond when the bedroom door opened and Fluttershy’s tiny gasp reached his ear. “Rainbow Dash! What are you doing up here?”

“Huh?” the blue pegasus turned towards the yellow one, “Whaddaya mean? I said I was coming over this morning.”

“Yes, but I asked you to use the front door,” Fluttershy said, setting the bowl of porridge she’d brought on the nightstand.

“Well yeah but –”

“No ‘buts’,” she said, trotting over to put herself between the window and the bed, “ I don’t like it when you sneak in here and wake me up, and I told you that Discord wouldn’t either. I’m sorry, Discord.” She smiling sympathetically over at the draconequus.

Discord was pleased to see the expression of abashedness on Rainbow Dash’s face. He smirked at her before turning a gentler smile towards Fluttershy. “No need for you to apologize, my dear,” he said, “Some ponies just have no manners.” He turned pointedly back to Dash. “And to think, the one raised in a barn showed far more decorum.”

“Hey!” Rainbow started to protest, but Fluttershy cut her off.

“Discord’s right, Rainbow,” she said, her tone firm, “I think you should apologize.”

“But I –”

Fluttershy gave her a less-intense version of The Stare.

The blue pegasus hemmed and hawed and made gurgling noises not unlike a cat trying to bring up a hairball. After what Discord had to admit was an impressive amount of struggling, she mumbled, “…Sorry…”

The chimera smiled in satisfaction. “That’s more like it. Now…where’s my breakfast?”

Author's Note:

Took longer than I thought for this one - actually, the first two scenes were a breeze to write, but the last scene took forever to get going, oddly enough! We'll see how the next chapter comes.

The idea for Fluttershy inviting Discord into her bed was never intended to be sexual in anyway (personally, I ship Dislestia, and prefer a platonic, if a bit maternal, relationship for him and Flutters) but I remembered reading about a profession known as a 'sex surrogate' where someone allows a patient who has been psychologically damaged to acclimate themselves to a physical relationship, so the patient could go forward and forge a romantic connection with someone else. I liked the basic idea, and thought that I could tweak it to be platonic and sweet, and I hope it came across that way!