• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 693 Views, 23 Comments

Call of the Wonderbolts - Zexoguy



Rainbow Dash is a pony who faces every challenge head on, but now she's about to face the greatest challenge of her life.

  • ...
1
 23
 693

More Than Meets the Eye

Spitfire watched from insider her office as the battle raged on outside. She knew she couldn't just stand around and do nothing while her fellow Wonderbolts put their lives on the line. She had to get out there and help. But just as she started making her way outside, the door flew open with a crash, practically flying off its hinges and pushing Spitfire back a bit. When the dust cleared, there stood Zoom Blade with the little orange filly in an identical uniform right by her side. Zoom Blade started walking right up to Spitfire in the most intimidating way she could.

"Zoom Blade." Spitfire uttered. She was hardly phased at seeing her old wingpony confront her face to face.

"You thought you could deny me my destiny, eh, Spitty?" The terrorist pegasus proclaimed bitterly.

"What are you talking about?" Spitfire questioned.

"I was, and still am, the best flyer Equestria has ever known. You knew it. And you were all jealous of me!" Zoom Blade gave the fiery maned pony a solid swift back hoof across the face, making her hit the floor. Scootaloo cringed in fear. Spitfire managed to pick herself up.

"It wasn't my fault you got kicked out. I hated seeing that happen." She explained in her defense.

"Then you should've done something!" Zoom Blade smacked her even harder, giving her a second bruise to match her first one and making Scootaloo cringe again. She wasn't at all interested in petty excuses. This time, Spitfire was in too much pain to get back up, so she just laid there on the floor helplessly.

"And now you and the rest of those pathetic pigeons out there," Zoom Blade continued, "will learn what it truly takes to be a champion." She loomed over the weakened commander in a sense of assured satisfying victory. Spitfire looked her painfully in the eyes as Zoom Blade lifted a hoof over her face ready to crush her skull with all her might. Little Scootaloo covered her eyes as she couldn't stand to watch what was about to happen.

"Zoom Blade! Stop!" A voice suddenly echoed, taking everyone by surprise. There was Rainbow Dash standing in the doorway.

"Rainbow Dash." Scootaloo uttered in disbelief.

"This doesn't concern you, Rainbow Dash." Zoom Blade insisted. "I suggest you just turn around and go home now."

"Not a chance. I've got something to say." Rainbow exclaimed before turning to address the little orange pegasus standing in front of her. "Scootaloo. I'm really sorry for the way I treated you. You were right. We are supposed to be like sisters and I let myself completely forget that." Rainbow Dash spoke in the most sincere way possible. "If you can find it in your heart to forgive me, I promise I'll never turn my back on you again."

It didn't take long for Scootaloo to process her idol's words. She was extremely touched and overjoyed and couldn't help but give a giant smile. She quickly discarded her Wingstriker uniform and embraced Dash's leg. Rainbow Dash was so happy and relieved that she immediately returned the hug.

"Aww, that's so sweet." Zoom Blade interrupted. "You guys are gonna make me PUKE. Fine. Go back to her. Who wants to train a puny little chicken like you anyway?" That last remark struck Scooaloo hard and earned a serious scolding from Rainbow.

"Listen, Zoom Blade." She declared. "There are lots of ponies who wanna prove they're the best at something, whether it's flying or whatever. But if you keep up this crazy scheme of yours, the only thing you're gonna prove is that you're a complete psycho. Is that really how you wanna be seen?" Zoom Blade paused in her train of thought before Rainbow Dash continued. "I'm giving you one last chance. Call off this attack. It's not too late."

Zoom Blade actually gave Rainbow Dash's speech some thought. Was it really worth becoming a monster just to settle something that happened so many years ago. After all, she and Spitfire did have some great times together in the academy. Maybe there was still a chance to make amends and be friends again. But then she thought about everything she'd worked for to get where she was now. Everything she'd been planning for so long, all her preparation, all her building and ambition, was finally about to come to fruition on this day. And she wasn't going to let anything ruin it for her.

"Actually, it is too late." She muttered, turning back to approach the cyan pegasus. "I've worked too long and too hard to give up now." She was about to force Rainbow up against the wall. "I've got a score to settle and you're not gonna stop me."

Just as the vengeful mare was about to deliver painful blow to Dash's face, Dumb-Bell came crashing through the window and slammed into the wall before landing on the floor with a loud thud.

"Oh, forget this. I'm out of here." He decided he had taken enough of a beating for one day and took off out the window. Everyone else looked outside and, to Zoom Blade's sheer disbelief, saw every last one of the Wingstikers retreating in defeat. All the Wonderbolts and the other ponies cheered and celebrated their victory. Angry and annoyed, Zoom Blade flew outside and called out to them.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?! Get your flanks back here you chickens!" She demanded. Rainbow Dash flew right up next to her and gave a smug grin.

"Well, looks like your entire fearless flying force just flew the coop." Rainbow Dash teased. "Are you ready to quit now?"

"Not so fast, Dash." Zoom Blade exclaimed. "You haven't seen what'd behind door number two." Just then, she pulled out the remote control and pushed the big red button. Then the ground started rumbling beneath everypony's hooves.

"W-W-What's happening?" Fluttershy asked in terror.

Over on a nearby mountain, something big and nasty began to break through the rocky surface. What emerged was a gigantic, metal, mechanical pegasus about the size of an Ursa Minor. It long powerful legs, angry looking soulless glass eyes, and rocket boosters under its enormous wings. It puffed out clouds of smoke from its nostrils and made loud mechanical creaking noises when it moved.

The machine flew right up and toward over everyone. All of the little ponies watched in awe and terror as Zoom Blade flew right up next to its face.

"Say hello to the Pegatron." She announced proudly. "A super high-tech machine fully equipped with all the latest gear. Designed for mass and total annihilation." The Pegatron puffed out a big cloud of smoke, making everybody cough. "This baby will wipe out everything in its path, including you." Zoom Blade then pushed another button on the remote and ordered the giant robot to "Sic 'em!" right before leaving them behind. It kicked up its massive legs, ready to attack.

"You guys take care of that hunk of metal." Rainbow Dash declared to her friends. "Zoom Blade is mine." With that, she took off after Zoom Blade, leaving everyone else to figure out what to about the giant metal monstrosity before them.

The Pegatron armed six rockets on its wings, three on each one, and fired them all at the mountain. One rocket came right at the group of ponies and they all scattered out of the way. The rockets destroyed large chunks of the HQ mountain, causing several small explosions and avalanches.

Meanwhile, up in the air, Rainbow Dash caught up to Zoom Blade and tackled her. The two wrestled with each other as they struggled to stay airborne, until Zoom Blade finally managed to push her off. They stared each other down like ninjas in an old kung fu movie and charged full force at each other head on.

Meanwhile (again), the others all regrouped on the mountainside to decide what to do.

"How are we supposed to stop that thing?" Pinkie inquired. Twilight took some time to think of a plan. And then it hit her.

"I have an idea, but we need to get that remote control." Twilight assumed control of the situation. "Fluttershy, go tell Rainbow Dash." Fluttershy looked up at Rainbow Dash and Zoom Blade going at each other with full power. She hated the idea of having to get in the middle of that. Nevertheless, she complied with a nervous "Okay" and flew cautiously towards the two brawling pegasi.

"Um, Rainbow Dash?" She tried to get Rainbow Dash's attention, but she didn't hear her. "Rainbow?" She tried again, but still nothing. "Rainbow D-WAH!" Rainbow whooshed right past her after being kicked by Zoom Blade and crashed straight into a cloud. Fluttershy hurried over to her friend to inform her of Twilight's plan. "Rainbow Dash. Try and get the remote. Twilight has a plan."

"You got it." Rainbow Dash confirmed, charging head first at Zoom Blade again. Their fighting continued as Rainbow tried to grab the remote.

"Come on, Rainbow Dash! Get her! Show her who's boss! Yeah!" Scootaloo cheered. She was enjoying watching her hero go head to head with a real bad pony. Finally, Rainbow managed to get the remote away from Zoom Blade.

"I got it!" She declared, holding up the remote proudly. "Guys! Catch!" She tossed it down to them and Twilight caught it with her magic. However, Zoom Blade swooped in and snatched it right back.

"Whoops! Too slow." She taunted with a smug chuckle. She was cut off when Applejack lassoed the remote right out of her hoof and into Twilight's. She dive-bombed in to take it back again, but Rainbow Dash tackled her and the two of them continued their mid-air wrestling match.

The Pegatron armed six more rockets and got ready to fire again. Twilight nervously pushed a button on the remote and the rockets instantly disarmed. Feeling much more confident, wiggled the little joystick around, making the Pegatron move around with it.

"It works." She exclaimed. "I can make the Pegatron do whatever I want it to."

"Oh boy!" Pinkie shouted in excitement. "Quick. Make it dance like a pretty ballerina."

"Uh, I think I've got a better idea, Pinkie." Twilight moved the joystick, making the Pegatron turn around and fly away fast. It pumped its legs and bobbed its head as if it were running.

Rainbow Dash fought the good fight against Zoom Blade, but eventually, her growing exhaustion started to show. She wasn't sure how much longer she could go for.

"Getting a little winded, Rainbow Dash?" Zoom Blade taunted her, taking notice. "Well, why don't you just lie down!?" She quickly tackled Rainbow Dash and pinned her down on a cloud, pushing it backwards at a fast pace and standing over her in glory.

"You thought you could beat me?" She declared. "Don't you know who I am? I'm Zoom Blade. The greatest flyer ever. And I'm not about to let you or those pathetic Blunderbolts take it away from me!" Rainbow looked behind her and saw a mountain coming up fast. "Say your prayers, Dashie!" Zoom Blade proclaimed. The insane pony laughed maniacally as Rainbow cringed in fright, knowing that this psychopath intended to splatter her against the mountain. But just then, she got an idea and looked back up at Zoom Blade.

"I don't think so, Zoom Lame." Rainbow Dash said with a smirk. She reached up, grabbed Zoom Blade by the neck and held onto her tightly. Then she steered the the cloud to go lower, sending the both of them flying straight into a cave with a loud crash.

The cave started to rumble as both ponies picked themselves up. They bolted for the exit as fast as they could just as giant rocks began to fall and seal it off. Miraculously, they both seemed to come out without a scratch. Just then, they noticed the Pegatron charging right at them full steam. Rainbow Dash took off and flew out of the way, but when Zoom Blade tried to do the same, she found that both of her wings had been crushed under two giant boulders. She struggled to get free, but to no avail. As the Pegatron got ever closer to her with its accelerated speed, Zoom Blade screamed in terror, so sure that this was the end for her.

Lucky for her, Rainbow Dash came back and yanked Zoom Blade out of the way just in time. The Pegatron smashed right into the mountain, going up in a huge, spectacular fiery explosion. Zoom Blade could hardly believe it. She turned to Rainbow Dash in confusion, who was holding her up in her her hooves.

"You need to stand trial." Rainbow explained. When the spiky-black-maned pegasus flapped her wings to try to make a break for it, she shrieked in pain. Both of her wings were now crippled and useless. "Looks like you've been grounded." Rainbow Dash said, assured that she had finally won. At that moment, the Wonderbolt guards showed up and surrounded them, ready to take Zoom Blade into custody. Great. Not only would she never fly again, but now she was gonna rot in some prison.

"Ah, jeez." She groaned in bitter defeat.