• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 2,248 Views, 64 Comments

The Witch, The Bug, And The Airhead - Bucking Nonsense



A witch a thousand years out of her time, a changeling kicked out of the hive, and an earth pony who defies explanation become friends.

  • ...
7
 64
 2,248

Trouble Making, Friend Making

The changeling looked at Heddy in confusion, as if she had trouble understanding what it was the pony had just asked. After a moment, she seemed to realize what Heddy had just said. "I, uh, don't really have a name," she said, looking more than a little sad, "And believe me, you don't want to be my friend. I'm trouble."

Heddy bestowed upon the changeling a look that would have done proud the last puppy in any petstore anywhere in Equestria, then hugged the changeling again. It would have been heartbreaking, had the entire situation not been so absurd. Seeing it, Silhouette giggled, then said, "Well, 'Trouble', I don't think she'll take no for an answer."

The changeling, "Trouble", looked at Heddy's face, and apparently reached the same conclusion. "Fine," she said in exasperation, "I'll be your friend. But no more hugging today: I'm at my limit." A sly look suddenly crossed the changeling's face. "Why don't you hug her for a while?" the changeling asked with a grin, pointing at Silhouette. "You don't want her to feel left out, do you?"

Before Silhouette could object, Heddy had detached herself from Trouble and had very nearly tackled Silhouette in her enthusiasm to reach her and start hugging. In less than a second, Silhouette was being aggressively hugged by Heddy. It wasn't... bad, really, just surprising. Silhouette asked the changeling, who now looked ready to leave, "Well, Trouble, what are you planning to do now?"

Trouble opened her mouth, about to answer, when she suddenly stopped, a look of surprise on her face. "Huh," she said, a slow smile spreading across her face, "well, I'm feeling... surprisingly full now, so I guess I can put off hunting for love for a while, but... I guess I don't really have any plans for the rest of the day."

"Well, I didn't really have anything special planned myself," Silhouette said, a smile beginning to bloom on her face as well, "Tell you what: how about I take you down to the doctor in Ponyville," at this, Silhouette pointed to the town in the distance, then continued, "and see if he can do anything more for those cracks on your thorax, and maybe your wings, too. Then, I'll take you and Heddy," at this point, Heddy giggled and gave Silhouette a squeeze, "down to the spa and see if they can get you both cleaned up. I was due for a trip myself, and I wouldn't mind the company."

Trouble seemed surprised by the offer. After a moment, she asked, "Are you sure you want to do that? I don't think changelings are welcome anywhere near that town."

Silhouette looked thoughtful for a moment, then smiled and said, "Well, if there's any sort of problem, I can vouch for you. There will probably be some conditions to you being allowed into the town, but it shouldn't be anything severe."

Trouble seemed doubtful, but after a moment's thought, she nodded. "Alright," she said, "I guess that could work. Worst that can happen is they'll say no."

Silhouette carefully detached Heddy from her and asked her, "You don't mind coming with us, do you Heddy? I mean, if you have other plans, I completely understand. I wouldn't want to impose..."

Heddy looked thoughtful for a moment, then shook her head, and her big, goofy, slightly worrying grin was back. "I have no plans, no responsibilities, and all the time in the world," she said, "And there's nothing I'd rather do than spend time with my new bestest best friends!"

Friends, Silhouette thought, surprised to hear the word, and realized that it rang true. Having only known these two for a few minutes, she could not help but feel like they had somehow formed a bond, in spite of none of them really knowing anything about one another.
...It's a start, she supposed.

"Well, then, let's go to town," Silhouette said with a smile, and began walking towards Ponyville, her friends walking beside her. She had a feeling that this could be the start of something good. Or an unmitigated disaster. Either/Or.