• Published 22nd Jan 2014
  • 2,247 Views, 64 Comments

The Witch, The Bug, And The Airhead - Bucking Nonsense



A witch a thousand years out of her time, a changeling kicked out of the hive, and an earth pony who defies explanation become friends.

  • ...
7
 64
 2,247

The Unhappiest Pony In Equestria

Silhouette was finally ready. She had spent weeks practicing all of her spells, refining her mystical energies, and psyching herself up for what was to come. She had her cloak and her best witching hat on. Her midnight black mane and tail were brushed to a silky perfection, and blew dramatically in the wind that she had specially summoned just for that purpose. As she gazed down at the town of Ponyville, her crimson eyes narrowed with determination, and a look of fierce concentration crossed her fair features. TODAY was the day she would go down into Ponyville as a true witch. TODAY was the day that she would show the world what she could do. TODAY was the day that she would make her mark on Equestria. NOW WAS THE TIME TO STEP FORWARD, AND MEET HER DESTINY!!!

...Yup. Any second now...

Silhouette sighed, disgusted with herself. It had been like this every day for over a moon now. After having returned from the Time Skip spell that had put her out of action for... well, if she really thought about how long it was, she'd break down and start crying again. Where was she? Oh yes, ever since she had returned, and found out what had happened while she had been away, she had made plans to move forward, to get on with her life...

Except... well...

Let's be honest here: her father, being who he was, had cast a massive shadow on her life, and unless she managed to do something big, something really, incredibly, unbelievably big, then she'd spend the rest of her life being known JUST as his daughter. The problem is, the world was a radically different place from what it was like a thousand years ago...

Oh drat, and there she went and thought about it again...

After Silhouette had cried her eyes out for a few minutes, she started to get ahold of herself. It was a terrible thing, being away for a thousand years, then suddenly finding out that everyone you knew and loved was gone forever. She didn't miss Daddy (he was a great big jerk), and Mommy had... left before Silhouette could even remember her, but Silhouette used to have a lot of friends. All of her friends had been in Canterlot, though, before daddy had relocated the two of them to the Crystal Empire, and then... well, you can read about what happened in the history books, if you like.

Her friends had, upon hearing that their friend Silhouette might not reappear for a thousand years, taken steps to ensure that, no matter how long she was gone, she would be well taken care of. But wealth, no matter how substantial, cannot change the fact that her world had been turned upside down.

Princess Luna had been kind enough to take Silhouette under her wing, being one of the few ponies in the world who understood what it was like to be out of circulation for so long. One of the best pieces of advice that Luna had given her was to go out and make friends... or it would be, if there were anypony out there that she felt she could make a real connection with. Twilight Sparkle and her friends were alright, but... well, she could never lose the nagging suspicion that they were all secretly watching her in case she started doing anything suspicious, like building a gingerbread cottage, or threatening other ponies (and their little dogs too). You know, stuff that witches do when they go cackling crazy.

Worse, Silhouette was having a great deal of trouble adapting to the world as it was now. There were so many strange things now that had not been in Equestria before. Indoor plumbing, for starters. Having how a toilet works explained to you is more than a little embarrassing. Mind you, just about everything out there now was an improvement, but still, it took a lot of getting used to. There were so many possibilities for embarrassment out there that she was honestly quite terrified that if she went down there and tried to do some honest to goodness witch-work, she would just end up humiliating herself.

Currently, the only reasons she went down to Ponyville at this point were to order fresh foodstuffs for her home, visit the spa, and to have her weekly meeting with Princess Luna. She'd been understanding, so far, about her not having had much social interaction with the rest of the town, but Silhouette had the feeling that if she didn't start making progress soon, there would be an intervention in the near future.

Well, at least there was ice cream now. That helped a great deal with dealing with her overwhelming depression and feelings of inadequacy. Silhouette had spent the last month psyching herself up for going out and making friends, doing some great thing that would get her the respect and admiration of her fellow ponies, then getting cold hooves, returning home and eating chocolate ice cream until she was nearly sick (best invention ever, chocolate ice cream. She wished they'd had it... back in the day). If she hadn't spent most of the rest of each day practicing spells and prepping herself for when she finally did overcome her fear and self-doubt, she'd likely have gained a lot of weight by now.

Yeah, ice cream was sounding pretty good now. Silhouette sighed, shook her head, and used a teleportation spell to send her cloak and witching hat to the trunk back in her room. Well... tomorrow was another day. Tomorrow, she would stand tall, be brave, and start making headway towards truly thriving in the modern era!

...Yeah, right.

"STAY AWAY FROM ME!"

"COME BACK, I JUST WANT TO HUG YOU!"

Silhouette's head turned to look behind her and saw what may very well have been the strangest sight she had ever beheld: A changeling was being chased by what looked to be an earth pony in a hooded cloak. The changeling was looking behind it, shouting at it's pursuer, and sadly, not looking where it was going, which was on a collision course with Silhouette. And in the time it took for what she was seeing to register, it was already too late for Silhouette to get out of the way.