• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 2,271 Views, 45 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Beyond the Badlands - A Pony Typewriter

  • ...
10
 45
 2,271

The Road Ahead

The Road Ahead

"Psstt...Engie...Hardhat get up !"

"Ah'm awake," Dell said half awake and turn to asked, "What's wrong boy ?"

"I really don't know how to tell this, but there are alligators on the field," Scout explained his action.

Dell chuckled, "As long it ain't comin' up here it's fine."

"And there's one under ya chair," said Scout.

Beneath the goggles he was wearing, the Texan's eye lids went from half open to fully open in a fraction of a second upon hearing what the Bostonian told him. He looked down, there was the tail, then the scaly body and there's the head, about five and a half seat right of him. Dell turned to the pony that was using his lap as a pillow. She was sleeping ,which didn't help either as he can't move without terminating her slumber.

"Scout, Get me somethin' to cover that gator's eyes," Dell told him.

"Like what ?" Jarvis asked.

"Ah' don't know, a shirt, a mop maybe," Dell suggested.

Scout looked around, he found a banner strewn across the empty seats, on the other side from where they were. He told Dell to wait, and ran to fetch it. Left alone, Dell kept silence and unmoving, while Past Tale breathe softly, and still asleep. It was not long before the beige mare head shifted, and her drowsy eyes opened in front of Dell. Waking up, she was given an order to not make noise by the ten-gallon wearing creature through hushing her. Dell pointed and Past Tale followed it with her eyes. Before she could scream or ran, the mare was held back by a hand on the mouth and another hush.

The alligator moved its head, the mare and the Engineer froze. Moving to its original position, they kept eye on it. Dell looked around, he realized that the rest of his co-workers were missing, only Scout was visible from where he had slept. He watched the Boston youth tore a piece of the banner and ran back to where he had stood. Scout threw the piece of grimy canvas to the Texan.

With a low volume of sound he told the mare to stay still. He then proceed to stood behind the alligator with the piece of canvas Jarvis gave him. Slowly he bent his back closer to the alligator's head. The Past Tale and Scout can only grit their teeth in suspense. The Texan tossed the piece of banner over the alligator's head, covering both it's eyes.

"Well that was easy," he then asked the Scout, "Where are the others ?"

Scout told him, "They're waiting by the gate."

They descended the steps and made a beeline for the gate.

Dell asked Past Tale, " Where we goin' next ?"

"Well we got to go back to Tenpony first," said the beige mare.

Dell checked his Pip-Boy, and turned on the radio. Like any conventional radio station, it played a song, the song he tuned in to was sung by a woman, he corrected himself, a mare to be exact. Her voice was beautiful, almost angelic Dell told himself, a rarity in the wastes. But it wasn't her voice that caught his attention. On the map, there was dotted line that led to the edge of the map of Manehattan, parallel to a line that represents a road.

--- --- ---

She entered Tenpony without her guns and without Dell. With haste, Past Tale ran up the stairs and made a beeline to the store where the elderly zebra was. Opening the door, the bell rings again and the voice of the old zebra lured her in once more.

"Ah, welcome back my horned friend," he greeted.

"Hi, I'm back and I bring you..."

Horn glowing, she levitated the item the aging zebra was looking for. With his wrinkled hooves, the shop keeper turn it in every direction, wanting to see every aspect of the gun. "This will made a perfect addition to my collection," said the zebra, "At what amount should I pay you for this...antiquity ?"

Past Tale stated the value, "Five thousand five hundred bottle caps."

"Neigh, this one is not in mint condition, how about two thousand seven hundred and fifty," bargained the zebra.

"Five thousand then," she told him.

"Three thousand."

"Four-seven-fifty."

The zebra paused, and looked at the harpoon gun again, "How about we flip a coin," Past Tale made a twist of her eyebrows, "If I win it will be four thousand five hundred bottle caps and If you win I will pay the original price." He present her with a strange looking coin, a golden one with a zebra sculptured on to its surface, "Heads."

She said, "Tails"

Dell and the rest awaited the return of the beige mare outside the doors of Tenpony Tower. Once more they were surrounded by ruins, ruins that they know nothing about or how it become ruins. The wait wasn't uneventful, they saw more creatures that once believed belong to myths and folktales. A rust colored pegasus, a winged and horned pony, another unicorn, another colorful pony, some griffons in uniform, some zebras, and a two headed cow.

They didn't say a word, all they did was gawk at the wonders and abominations. The wait was over when the door of Tenpony opened for someone to exit the building, it was the beige mare again. Before the door shuts once more, Dell caught a glimpse of the same unicorn that had been eyeing him while he was inside yesterday.

The mare grumbled, "Let's go."

Continuing the journey through the Manehattan ruins, the men in red saw the damage done by a catastrophe unknown to them. However, it also helped the men in getting to know the terrain of the derelict metropolis, which was always beneficial to their previous employment.

In some occasions during their journey, they met a squad of griffons and ponies wearing uniform attire, and armed with a variety of firearms. They didn't bother them and the men and beige mare didn't bother them, most of the times they just stared at each other. To most of the men it was odd, they knew they were oddities here, as they have not encountered one of their own for the last three days.

At all times, they were surrounded by building that had collapsed, almost collapsed, and ones that still stood but in no condition to be inhabited by any right minded person. Along with echoes of distant gunfire, and creaking metal of rail sections above them. These were added by a feeling of being watched upon, as dark windows seemed to glare menacingly.

BLAM!

The locked knob, pierced by Tale's bullet gave entry to a small, ransacked, abandoned bar. Bottles of liquor were strewn across the floor tables and the bar itself. All of them entered, and began scavenging. Past Tale went directly to the bartender side of the bar, and below it she found something she expected. With her horn glowing, the mare levitated a shotgun and some shells. Tavish was at the same side, and found something more to his liking, an unopened cocktail shaker.

"Och...that's the stuff," the Scotsman said before proceeding to loot more booze.

After the shotgun, the mare stuffed the left over booze that were scattered here and there. Soldier found some empty cans in the back, Dell found some bags of Rad-Away and handed them to Medic. After nothing else were deemed worthy to loot, they departed the bar and continued their way out of the ruins of Manehattan.

"Y'aint lookin' so happy ?" Dell asked the mare.

At first she showed her teeth and then reclaimed her calm, "I didn't make much on the harpoon gun."

Medic asked, "How much zit you get for it ?"

"Half it's worth," she answered resentfully.

"Half ?!" Scout reacted, "Man you are terrible in tradin' no one gave somethin' half it worth."

"Da, Heavy learns this in bartering with Spy."

"Well ain't no use cryin' over spilled milk," encouraged the Texan, "Let's get this thing done and hope you'll get paid much better."

She sighed, "I guess your right," then she asked them, "By the way, why are you still following me ?"

"Don't 'cha remember ya paid us to follow you." stated the Texan.

"Yeah there's that, but you said you have to find someone else ?" the beige mare inquired.

Scout corrected, "That's a bunch of someone else."

"See there," Dell kneeled and show her the map on his Pip-Boy, she saw the dotted line that extend beyond the barrier of the map, the part that was on the map was parallel to the road she would have to took in order to get to New Pegas, "I got no idea why a marker suddenly show up on ma'h screen like that, but by the looks of it we're goin' the same way."

"And....?" the mare asked hesitantly.

"Ah' reckon that's where they are," Dell said surely.

It didn't really the answer her question, but Past Tale didn't gave it much of a thought, and they were supposed to follow her. As they were paid in caps by her to tag along in a journey in which the destination was a city that no one she ever met knew much about, in the middle of the desert, "Alright," she said.

The ruins of Manehattan ended as they met a wide stretch of paved ground that led them away from the derelict city. Before continuing onward, the men and mare turned to building complex, surrounded by barbed wire wall. Entrance to the building was a grim and dark sight, something that was commonplace in the Wasteland. There were skeletons in front of the gate, along with scattered suitcases here and there. Some of the boney remains seemed to cling to the gate, desperate to gain entrance. Behind metal bars, bricks, and twisted, sharp wire was a building wrapped in concrete lattice.

Past Tale scavenged through the remains and suitcases, she found clothes and not much else. The beige mare packed her findings and went to search for more, she found the gate locked, she aimed her rifle at the lock.

Dell held her back, "Let me try."

Past Tale stepped aside and let the Engineer opened the gate. Instead of opening it Dell's last lock pick broke, and thus Past Tale took aim again. Only to be held back by the Scotsman. With his Eyelander, he broke open the lock and provided entry. They entered the planter decorated yard and into the concrete latticed building. After opening the double door they were met by an office building lobby layout, a desk at the center with a wall behind it and elevators on the side, with stairs opposite to the elevators. Like it's exterior, it became a resting place for more bones.

"This place looks promising," the mare stated.

Scout objected, "Promisin' ? this place looks like a dump !"

"Haven't ye been noticin' lad this whole place is a dump," said the Scotsman.

Dell walked behind the large desk in the center of the room to check on a terminal. Access was restricted, and the green screen demanded a code. Leaving the terminal, he took the stairs to the mezzanine which was littered mostly by papers. The Texan continued his journey upward, after the metal plaque on the wall said six, he met another locked metal gate. After several attempts to open it with his foot, Dell ran back downstairs and brought back Demoman along with him. Puncturing the gap between the door and frame, the Scotsman and the Texan continued to took more steps upward.

The door they opened on the top of the stairs had led them to the rooftop. Again more skeletal remains were scattered above the concrete, from where they stood they saw endless broken grey and twisted metal. Wondering just what kind and how big was the catastrophe that had happened. They noticed that part of the roof's edge had gone missing, looking over the other side and over the edge they saw what looked like a bus with no wheels lying as a wreckage at the open space behind the building.

Dell grabbed a fallen rifle beside a remain. Then he proceed back downstairs with Tavish.

On ground level once more, Dell found Jane pressing the elevator button repeatedly , he had no idea why the helmeted man did what he did considering the place was unlit and presumed not powered. The man in spectacle was reading several papers that were left on the lobby desk, while the Scout and Heavy were playing a game of frees-bee with something that was not a frees-bee.

DING !

They turned to the source of the sound and was greeted by one of the elevator door opening. It surprised them that the elevator was still working, Past Tale who had just came back from her scavenging, was amazed that anything would be working in a building in such condition.

The inside of the elevator had seen better time, the paper facade covering the compact space's inner wall had peeled off in several locations, revealing the stains and rust on the metal walls. Despite the appearance, the lighting inside was still working, although dimmer, along with the merry jingle that would accompany it's passengers. On the other hand, there was a permanent passenger inside the elevator, a skeleton of a griffon sat in the corner clutching a rifle.

Past Tale went in first, grabbing the rifle she then proceed to press the button to the floor beneath. The Scotsman asked, "What're ye doin' lass ?"

"I wanna see what's down there c'mon," the beige mare said.

Dell went next, then Jane, then Jarvis, followed by the Scotsman. Only when Misha entered the elevator, a warning sound came up and the elevator door refused to close, he stepped out. "Ah'll send the elevator back up fer you two," Dell told Misha and Viktor.

The door closed and the metal box started its journey downward. The elevator bumped a several times, making the occupant inside questioned the integrity of the whole structure. The light flickered as the elevator halted, the door slowly opened, as it did Dell pressed the hold button for the door, letting the beige mare to check the floor outside the door. Stepping outside gave the men an all clear, last to leave was the Texan, sending back the elevator to Heavy and Medic who were still above them.

She made a right after the elevator and the men followed her along the dark hallway, beside poorly lit the basement was partially flooded. Mare and men kept moving deeper into the hallway until they can't go no further. Upon them was a metal door, flanked by two things, one was a terminal, the other was symbol of a double headed griffon with a crown over its head along with the word 'embassy' written below it.

Past Tale activated the terminal and the keyboard folded out, but the options available on the green screen was inaccessible, each time she selected one it told her there was an error. Jane started placing his tin can grenades, only to be stopped by the beige mare who gave it back to him and shook her head in denial of the helmeted man plan.

"She's right man, 'tis whole thing might come down on us," explained the Scotsman.

"There has to be a way pass that door...." she pondered.

Scout pointed out, "Hey how 'bout through there."

All eyes turned to where Scout was pointing, a grate on the feet of the wall. Past Tale's horn glowed and the grate was removed. She lowered her head and entered the small space, the mare kept her head low, as Dell and Jarvis followed. The long, dark, cramped vent sounded as they continue to crawl. Through another grate, light brighten a part of the vent. Past Tale took it they had passed the locked door, coming to the vent cover she removed it and entered the room.

Upon entering, the beige mare was greeted by beeps, originating from a turret attached to the ceiling. It turned to her and began emptying its ammunition. She galloped and took cover below a heavy and long table after taking two rounds to her hind leg, Dell came in and the turret ignored the mare and began shooting at the Texan. She saw the ten-gallon wearing man ran and took cover behind and overturned table. She turned to look who was coming in next.

"You ! shoot that thing !" she shouted to Scout.

"Gotcha !" he replied.

With two shots from his sawed-off double-barrel shotgun, the turret above ceased to operate. With that, two other started their operation, firing anything that was moving inside the room with colorful, bright, and flesh melting beams. Jarvis, Dell and Tale were forced to take cover once more while their cover began to dissipate. From below the heavy desk, she pointed to a yellow box with buttons attached to the wall. Dell, who was now had his body on the floor due to the shrinking table took notice to where the beige unicorn was aiming. The Texan crawled backward, but jolted forward as melted coffee pot and mugs made contact with his trousers. Seeing the alien in ten-gallon unable to press the button, Past Tale took aim, "Hope this works."

BLAM !

The shot sent sparks out of the box and the door opened, sending the ones outside, scrambling for cover. "Cover yer ears lassie !" warned the Scotsman. Pulling the trigger, he launched an explosive projectile that made direct contact to one of the turrets, the following explosion was more than enough to disable its twin. After a few seconds of ringing in the ears, everyone stood out of cover and those outside, in addition with Heavy and Medic, stepped into the room.

With remaining lamps in the room taken out in the explosion, Dell turned on the light on his Pip-Boy. Lighting the space, they discovered coffee mugs, coffee pots, worn out chairs. The Texan motioned his arm and halted as the arm attached processor removed darkness from another door. Past Tale went first, sliding the door open. She called out, "Is there any switch out there, the lights are out in here."
him
Dell followed her in to lend the light on his Pip-Boy. As he disappeared into the room, shots rang from inside the room, the rest of the men made a rush to the door. Entering the room the found a glowing body on the floor, a smoking rifle and an engineer, face frozen in shock.

"Vhat is that....thing...?" the Medic inquired.

The question raised more questions for the mare to find the answers, it was clear to her that the beings following her had never encounter a feral ghoul before, let alone a glowing one, like the one she just put three rounds into its cranium. Although, on how the ten-gallon wearing man reacted to the appearance of the glowing monstrosity, she concluded New Mexico was somewhere faraway. Either that or it is just a code or name for a Stable somewhere she thought to herself. She answered the Doctors question, "A ghoul, a Glowing One."

Medic recollect his encounter aboard the ship, the glowing corpse was similar to those they found previously, but unlike them, this one had its own light source. As Medic closes in Dell warned him, "Careful Doc, that thing is making ma'h Geiger clicking."

The newly found room was lit once more as Demoman flicked a switch next to the door, it seemed like a living space for few, in the center was a coffee table flanked by three sofas, there were beds at the back of the room and several terminals to their right along with a large grid map. Engineer approached the map, illuminated transparent surface had ink encircling several locations.

While the German doctor study the glowing body, the Scotsman, the Bostonian, and the Russian gazed at what the man in lab coat does best, Soldier on the other hand was looking for more items to fill his duffle bag. He found more beans, some chewing gums, bottles of soda, and empty cans. The beige mare joined him in search for items, but the items she picked were different from Jane's, she found more weapons in the room, batons, rifles, pistols and revolvers near remains, on shelves and inside cabinets. All of them were to be sold.

Past Tale noticed Dell head kept on nodding, down to his Pip-Boy and up to the large map, she approached him. Instead of making her presence known to the man in ten-gallon, she joined him at the gazing of the map.

Looking at the map, she noticed the similarity to the map she was given by the zebra inside Tenpony. Her horn glowed, and the yellowed map was taken out of the saddlebag, she spread the map upon the grid map. Her's was a portion of the larger map, she noticed that her map was missing several things, which include a town on the outskirt of the city, an alternate route into the city, and something else beyond it.

Dell noticed damage on the glass, white lines indicating cracks . He ran his finger on it, and realized that the cracks were too straight, "Hold on," he said to the mare who was adding the missing features on her map.

The Texan ran his palm along the edges, after finding something interrupting the line, he pressed it and the map was lit no more, revealing a message scratched on the glass.

FORT NELLY HIGHWAY 70 NORTH LAS PEGAS

The message baffled Dell and Past Tale, and they can only scratch their heads at it. Dell approached the map and turned the light on once more, he noticed all the markers were heading toward one direction. But without anything the to tell them what those marking signify, it was simply an ink on a map. With the man in lab done with his examination of the glowing entity, and nothing left for Jane to loot they made their way back to the elevator.

The elevator dinged and it's gate slid open, and again the mare and four men stepped out and send it back down for the other two. While the elevator travel down the shaft. After a while, another ding, and the last two men emerged from the elevator, the mare called out to them, "C'mon we gotta get going."

Walking and trotting to where they came in, the Scotsman shoved Dell and the mare to the wall by the gate, the others followed Tavish, putting their bodies against the bricks, from across the opened gate Misha asked the Demolition expert, "What is it Demoman ?"

"Me eye saw a wee flash," he added detail, "Left building, second floor window."

Dell peeked over the Scotsman shoulder and the wall, "I see nothin' "

Scout crossed the exposed space between walls to where Dell, Tavish and Past Tale were, then he observed the structure Tavish mentioned. After a few moment, the Bostonian head moved back into cover and reported, "Yup, somethin' up there."

"Can you tell us what it is ?" the mare asked him.

"Can't tell for sure, but it moved though so it definitely someone up there, a sniper maybe" Jarvis told her.

Jane Doe asked, "Where ?"

"Second floor third window from the right," Jarvis answered.

Pulling out his rocket launcher he began stepping out of cover, "Hold ! Hold ! Hold !"

Misha pulled Jane back into cover, following Past Tale's reaction, she explained, "We're still in NCR territory we don't wanna rouse their attention."

"Who ?" Dell inquired.

"NCR, the bucks and griffin in uniform." said the mare.

"Okay then what'd ya suggest we do if ain't takin out that sniper ?" Scout asked her.

"Let's go 'round back there's bound to be a way out of here," she suggested.

The remaining men across where she was crossed the open space between the walls with haste. Out of sight of what they presume was a hostile marksman, they kept to the wall looking for a side entrance or a gap that wasn't visible to the sniper field of sight. They passed the latticed building and arrived beside the open field with an overturned bus. Looking across the field, it was clear that the wall had somehow survived the last two century with little part of it crumbling into rubble, and they found that the only other exit was blocked by a collapsed building next door.

"We ain't going out that way," Scout pointed out.

"Anyone have any suggestions ?" asked the Medic.

Dell raised his hand, "How 'bout we make one."

"How ?" the beige mare asked.

"These wall ain't in good condition, ma'h bet is with a couple of good hits should bring it down easy," the Texan explained, "We'll try an' use Soldiers shovel to knock 'em over."

With the explaining over Jane went to work, jabbing his spade into the brick wall. Dell told him to chip away the cement between bricks, soon one by one the bricks were removed. The sun had become orange by the time a hole was made, they crawled through the gap and left the building, marked by Dell's Pip-Boy as 'Griffin Embassy' and made their way to Highway 70.

--- --- ---

The Manehattan terminus of Highway 70 wasn't anything special, like any other road Past Tale traversed, and like any road the men had driven through during their time of employment under the scorching New Mexico sun. The beginning was marked with a sign post holding a deformed metal piece that barely retain the number seventy, spanning over the highway, significant settlements were written in white letters, embedded on the green sign above was 'Pegas' and 'Preen'.

"Looks like we're on the right track," Past Tale said.

"We're runnin' outta daylight lass, should find somewhere to get some shuteye," the Scotsman insisted.

Dell opened his map, "There's an openin' somewhere between these buildin' should keep out the wind for the night."

"Alright I'll check in out," the Scout volunteered, making his way up a crossing bridge and into the building attached to it and the rest followed.

They entered a darken hallway that connected to the bridge, and after a short walk they arrived at another elevated platform. Front, back and right were crippled concrete structures. In the other hand, to their left was completely open, with four lane railway stretching over the horizon. They descended to the lower level, and found themselves on a station platform.

Scout came running back and report his finding, "Well I found several places for us to crash tonight."

"What're the options ?" the beige mare asked.

"There's the station waiting room, big enough for all of us, there's the room up there, got a nice view coverin' the whole station, and there's the train cars," reported the Bostonian.

"What's up there," Dell inquired.

Scout told the Texan, "I dunno its a room with a buncha lever."

The Engineer turned to the pony, "Well its yer job you choose where we sleepin' tonight."

There was a brief hum as the mare gave thought to the option, then she decided, "We're staying in the room up there."

Crossing the four lane of railway track, they ascend to the room Jarvis mentioned. Opening the door they found themselves in a room with levers bolted and standing on the floor just below the windows that gave a view of the whole station. Curious Dell moved closer to the lever and pulled one back. He saw a part of the track moved, and pushed the lever back to its original position.

The mare stood in front one of the windows, gazing at the horizon that led the tracks away from Manehattan. While being bathed by the moon's glow she kept her eyes on the edge where the tracks ceased to be visible. She wondered what Pegas had to offer, what would it look like, and pondered whether she could make a profit out of all the merchandise she had collected.

"Alright who's gonna go first ?" Scout asked.

Past Tale raised her hoof, "I'll take the watch first."

The men lit an old coal stove with wood from tables and floor boards. After establishing heating, Misha was asked to retrieve anything they can use for a mattress. He returned shortly with mattresses. "Where you find 'em ?" the Boston youth asked.

"The train," answered the burly Russian.

After positioning themselves and their mattresses around the lumber fueled coal stove, it was time for their eyes to close for today. Except for Soldier, who insisted to sleep standing by the door, no one knew exactly how the helmeted man slept on his two feet. Taking the first shift the mare threw some empty cans on to the platform and tracks to warn her if anything were to approach their camp. The hours passed with snores and Scout rolling in and out of his mattress. She giggled at the scene, continuing the watch she decided to remove the jacket Dell bought for her, doing so she discovered a hole on the fabric. Her horn glow and let the jacket suspended in the moon's glow, upon closer inspection she found the hole had blackened edges.

She sighed, and thought the damage must be done when she was in the basement of the latticed building. Taking her mind off the jacket, she returned to gaze at the night sky. Her mind moved from the jacket to the past, a time when she was the happiest, a time when she still had him. Past Tale grabbed her rifle and pulled the bolt back. She noticed that all of the eight rounds were missing, she levitate another clip from her saddlebag and loaded her firearm.

CLACK !

Suddenly every eyes that weren't her own turned her way, but she wasn't sure about the helmeted man eyes as she can barely see them. The attention was short-lived and everyone went back to slumber and snores. The mare set down her firearm, returning to the night sky. Later Dell rose from his mattress.

"I'll take over," said the Texan.

Past Tale moved away from the window and set herself down on the vacant mattress. Dell took the next shift of the watch, there was a clank from the platforms, the Texan turned his head to found an oversize cockroach crawling about. The Texan started the shift by taking out a cigarette, to repel the cold. Putting the tobacco on his lips he patted himself looking for a lighter, he found one residing in his pocket.

After the tobacco was lit, the lighter he took out seized his attention, it was certainly not his as he rarely smoke, he guessed it must be Pyro's or Spy's and stowed the lighter in his pocket once more. Preparing to face the night awake the Texan made a quick check of his inventory. After doing so the Engineer, found the jacket he gave to Past Tale was folded on top of the table. Dell found a hole on the fabric.

Finding something to do during his watch shift, Dell proceed to find the necessary materials to patch that hole. He approached slumbering Viktor and snatch a needle and a length of surgery thread. The Texan then searched for a suitable item that could patch the gap on the jacket. Looking in the room turned to be fruitless, Dell decided to search outside the control room.

The cold wind of the Wasteland struck the Texan bones sending him shivering the moment he left the room. Dell turned on his light and began his steps toward the main building of the station. On the platform he heard clanking metal again, Dell didn't bother to check what it was, thinking it was probably one of those over sized roaches and pressed on.

Gently, Dell pushed a door inward that led to a long, big hall with high and arc ceiling that roofed several benches and stores that were empty of customers and employees. His boots echoed as the short Texan stroll through the lifeless hall, absorbing the emptiness and the beauty of it's broken stained glass windows. Dell sat down on one of the benches to observe windows that depicted creatures from mythology. A blue unicorn, a white unicorn, more colorful ponies and the artistic imagery of a city skyline were all laid before him on arc shaped spaces between the wall.

Letting go grey air out of his mouth, Dell resume the search for something to patch that hole on the jacket. The hall came to an end on a door blocked by stacks of furniture forcing him to turn back, doing so Dell walked closer to the series of stores in the station. The stores he passed were empty, of both lives and merchandises, however he stopped at a particular store. Seeing a fallen pony mannequin in front, Dell presumed some fabrics would be inside, with his Pip-Boy attached arm extended he illuminate the store and walked forward.

The shelves of the store were empty to his disappointment, however, entering the establishment prove to be fruitful. Instead of finding a single thread of fabric, the Texan found a small purse residing on top of the cashier table. Opening it he found a comb, some coins and a wallet.

"This'll do," the Texan convinced himself.

Discarding the content onto the floor, he proceed to exit the store. Standing by the door, he caught a flash on a window several floor above where he was. Holding on to his hat, he hurled himself to the wall below the broken stained glass. Fearing it might be a sniper, the Texan crawled to the door that led to the platforms.

On the edge of the door, while lying on the door, the Texan slowly moved his head out of cover. Seeing nothing but shadows on the windows, he sweat as the possibility of getting shot increased as he remained stationary. Dell knew he had to move fast, something he learned a long time ago in New Mexico whenever a sniper was around. His head turned left and right, trying to find an escape that was not the door. The frantic search resulted in zero alternate way to avoid the presumably watching sniper. Although the Texan failed in finding an easy exit, he did found an alternative.

Keeping himself as low as possible, the Texan grabbed one of the mannequin in front of the shop, returning to the wall swiftly he set it down and targeted a luggage cart. After crawling with the cart back to the wall, Dell got what he desired.

The platforms were mute as the moon gaze upon it. The wind speak softly and the stars blinked while his heart raced quickly. The Texan retracted the slide of his pistol. Taking a deep breath, he prepared for a station platform long sprint. The short Texan kicked the luggage cart, carrying the mannequin with its base held by several pieces of a wall. As it roll onto the platform, the Engineer ran back toward where he was staying. The sprint felt it lasted hours, by the time he reached the stairs leading to the control room, he had beads of sweats running down his face and chest that moved on its own. Dell was expecting shots to decorate his run, to his amazement and bewilderment, that expectation didn't came to reality. Peeking over to see the building where the sniper should be, he saw nothing and slowly made his way upstairs.

--- --- ---

Morning came without the chirping of birds, and without the bugle. The golden ray kicked men and mare out of their slumber. Past Tale was the first to rose, she went to the desk where her jacket was. Putting it on, the mare noticed that it was heavier on the left, and found a purse sewn onto the fabric. She opened it and placed some of her clips, while finding the ten-gallon wearing alien smiled.

After putting off the fire, they hopped onto the track and started leaving Manehattan.

"Mein fraulien, may I asked how far is this...Pegas in terms of time ?" the doctor asked.

She opened her map, "Judging by this...I guess about three or four days walk."

"Hey guys !" hollered the Engineer, "Heavy found somethin' !"

Closing in to the man who called them, they also approached what looked like a small barn, but unlike a barn it had a train track leading into it. The gaping entrance of the building provided enough light for everyone to see what Misha had found. On the track within the building were two simple contraption. A bicycle on track and a train with no locomotive.

"See-saw trains ?" exclaimed the Scout.

"Ms Tale can I see yer map ?" asked Dell, extending an arm.

Past Tale gave the map to Dell, the Texan opened the map feature of his Pip-Boy. There was a momentary silence before Dell faced his team and the mare. In that silence, his head went back and forth from the map and his arm-attached processor.

"Well ah' found that this railway passes Pegas," he informed, "We can cut time by usin' them."

With everybody agreeing to the idea of reaching the city they had never seen before faster, they mounted the contraptions,and began see-sawing towards their destination.