• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 2,270 Views, 45 Comments

Fallout: Equestria - Beyond the Badlands - A Pony Typewriter

  • ...
10
 45
 2,270

On the Other Side

On the Other Side

I'm goin' gator huntin' mate!

The Zebra Empire.

A land where Equestrian adversaries once reside.

Unlike Equestria, the land where the zebras lived never changed, radiation pocket still exist, and taint scarred the land. Although is still full of hazard, the residents were slowly building from the ashes of the past. Their capital, Roam, survived the megaspell, with half of the city turned into a gigantic crater. For hundreds of years the city stood, and it would continued to do so for another and more. It was home to what was left of the empire, home to thousands who suffer together in the Zebrican Wasteland.

Outside its walls, in the distant reach of Roam, was a small tribal village by a river. Parked in next to its gate was a camper, made out of a 1965 Land Rover. Within its living quarter, a tall man slumber soundly, a man from the Outback and a master at the art of deceasing one from a very long range.

The man opened his eyes. His vision was met by the ceiling of his camper cabin. The living space smelled awfully fruity to the Australian, he turned his sleeping body to look at the rest of his home. Sure enough there were scented candles on top of the table.

The Sniper left the comfort of his bed. With caution for robots, he armed himself with a Cleaner's Carbine stored in his wardrobe.The Bushman peeked outside the vans window from behind the dining table. He crouched, and slowly made his way to the door. He took cover beside the entrance. There was a sound of footsteps.

"Spooks ? Pyro ? you there ?" asked the gangling Australian.

There was no answer from beyond the door. Instead, the voice children laughing, and the beating of bongos was audible from inside the camper. It was time to open the door.

Opening the way to the outside, he was temporarily blinded by sunlight. His sight was quickly restored as the blinding white faded. The tall Australian was faced by an arid landscape almost devoid of life. His attention caught by something striped.He looked down, it was a zebra.

"Uhm..... Hi," greeted the zebra.

Frightened, the Sniper shouted,"GGGAAAAAHHHHH !!!"

In fear and surprise he aimed the carbine at the zebra. He pulled the trigger and fired onto the sky, as Spy's arm raised the weapon to avoid injury to the zebra.

--- --- ---

After almost claiming the a life resident of the village the Sniper isolate himself within the driver seat of his van. Unfortunately driving away wasn't much of a choice as the key was with his French teammate.

In one of the wooden cabin Spy was apologizing to the tribe's chief. Turns out the zebra mare the Australian almost killed was the chieftain's daughter. While isolated in his van, the Bushman can only look. The village was composed of several buildings made out of woods and some were build out of rusty, old metal sheets. In the center was the place of gathering, zebra foals danced to the beat of the bongo with the masked pyromaniac. How his flame-spewing member of their team able to dance with talking zebras and be content with it was beyond the Sniper's knowledge.

He looked at the tribe's head cabin. His backstabbing friend emerged out of it. Spy approached the driver seat window.

With a puff of his smoke the Frenchman told the Australian, "He wants to speak with you."

"You expectin' me to chat to a bloody talking zebra mate ?" asked the Bushman.

"Non," said the Spy, "he expect you to do a favors for your unprofessional action."

Being called unprofessional hurt him deep, but it was the ugly truth. He expelled himself from the safety of his van and walked towards the chief's cabin. The walk was short but it gained him eyes from many of the villagers. Entering the tent, he was met by a zebra stallion brandishing a native-american chief hat. But strangely he wore a Roman-style armor.

He called, "What is your name ?"

With a calm and cool demeanor the tall man answered, "Nick Mundy."

"You have betrayed my trust by almost injuring my daughter, Xeras," the chief continued, "thus you must be punished."

"All right, lay it on me," the Australian demanded.

The chief looked to her daughter just beside him.

The chief asked, "Your masked friend told you didn't he ?"

Mundy answered with a silent nod.

The chief sigh, "I'm not the kind to punish people I take care in this village."

Again, Nick Mundy only stood in silence.

"And you haven't exactly committed a crime, so I can't punish you," the head of the tribe continued, "but I can't let it go as you almost injured my daughter after all she have done to you."

Xeras father began explaining the village's situation. They were low on Radigator meat, an important source of protein. Sniper was taken aback by the thought of zebras eating meat, the chief explained further that there was no way of growing crop in the arid Wasteland. Another reason he wanted him to hunt Radigators was for economic purposes, they were to be sold in Roam.

"Oh if you need anything go to Zavimbi and tell him I sent you," said the tribe's head.

Sniper came out of the tent with glee in his face. Something the Spy didn't expect. The Bushman asked a mare where was Zavimbi and directed him to the said zebra. Without another word he left her in the dust running in the other direction.

"Anyone home ?" asked the Australian as he opened the door.

A zebra answered him, "Please, come in."

As he walked to the counter, he was greeted by a zebra wearing a legionnaire armor, which looked Roman to the Australian. Around the store, on the walls, shelves and attached to the ceiling was an assortment of items, ranging from weapons he had never seen to expired beans.

"So what can I do today my alien friend ?" said the zebra with a smile that hid his fear.

"Chief sent me," the Sniper said, "I need equipments for gator huntin' mate."

"Well take a look around," the zebra offered.

--- --- ---

After a few minutes in the store, Sniper emerged with the essentials to hunt alligators with Zavimbi in tow. Both zebra and men walked through the village and approached where boats were moored. Spy joins them as they start packing a boat with their equipment.

The Frenchman asked, "Tell me, what did he ask you to do."

"Hunt gators mate !" Sniper answered with excitement.

"And you agree to this task ?" the Spy question him again.

"Mate, it's been years since I hunt gator," the Sniper explained, "all I hunt in Teufort were rabbits and coyotes I ain't missin' this opportunity to hunt one o' them green beast !"

Spy can only grunt at the Sniper's remark. There was no stopping the Bushman at what he does best. He thought he'll have to explain the situation later. The French master of espionage left the river bank as the sound of boat motor faded into the distance.

Both the zebra shopkeeper and the Australian traveled downstream on the calm water. The ex-legionnaire can only watch the 'alien' prepare for their hunt as he navigate the vessel. During their approach to the hunting ground, the Australian sharpen his Bushwacka, cleansed his rifle of any dust, dirt and grime. Then he primed fishing lines, cages, traps and his new fishing hat.

The motor went silent as they enter their hunting ground. His arm reached for his pocket, he took out necklaces decorated with teeth from his previous hunts. A good luck talisman. He and the zebra took oars, and began rowing from bank to bank, setting entrapment for the beasts they hunt.

As they continued their voyage further down the river, vegetation on the banks became denser. Trees grew on the river bed, and lily pad float on the surface, they had enter a swamp. Home to many Radigator.

With finger on his lips the Bushman said, "Keep it quiet."

He didn't need to be told. Zavimbi sealed his lips and stopped rowing. The Sniper moved closer to the bow. He raised his rifle and took aim.

BANG!

A bullet launched from the rifle with deadly precision. It traveled through the air, cutting it and breaking the sound barrier. Passing between trees of the swamp, it planted it self on a Radigator head. Resulting to the reptile's end.

They navigate through the submerged stumps and roots to retrieve their fallen prey. Before they reached the dead Radigator, sound of splashing water reached their ears.

The Sniper warned Zavimbi with a low volumed voice, "Oi, get that croc aboard quick."

He immediately comply with the Australian order. Zavimbi moved fore to the bow to retrieve Sniper's kill, while the Australian provided him with a look out. After they pulled in the dead gator, Sniper's eye lay upon another target. He took aim. As he about to fire his rifle once more, the gator dived into the depth of the murky water.

"Bugger," the tall man cursed.

"Be patient," suggested the striped clerck, "he'll surfaced again soon."

Reluctant to spend rounds, the Bushman brandished his Bushwacka and wait for the Radigator. Instead of him catching the gator, it was the gator that caught him. With a big splash, all that remain was Zavimbi aboard the vessel. He looked around for any sign of his tall companion.

"The Star screw me a thousand years with out rest !" the zebra cursed.

He turn to look port side. Nothing. The calm, murky, irradiated water only made him worried. Another sound of the calm water being disturbed caught Zavimbi's attention. Exiting the water, fifteen feet off the stern, was the biggest Radigator he had ever seen, on it's back was the Australian wrestling it into submission. As water splashed, jaws snapped, man screamed, and machete cut, the zebra can only watched the Radigator being dominated by the skinny man. The struggle finished with the Australian being the victor.

Satisfied with their catch Sniper asked, "Ready to head back ?"

Stunned Zavimbi said, "Y-yes."

With two gator in the net, the motor came back alive and they sped on the water heading back to the village.

--- --- ---

The sound of music still echoed through the village. Zebra fillies and colts were thrown into the air with face of joy, they dropped down to the ground, only to be caught by the masked arsonist. Another pair of zebra foal sat on the mouth of Pyro's flamethrower and air blasted upward. Spy watched their ecstasy from a distance. He exhaled the nicotine fog out of his mouth.

"Why don't you join them ?" asked the chief.

Spy answered in silence. He continued to slowly killing his lungs.

"I guess you're not the mingle with the crowd kinda hoo-man," the chief stated.

Spy changed the subject by asking, "That Zavimbi, what can you tell me about him."

The question gave the tribe's chief more reason to distrust the masked man. Giving the masked man and his companions medical treatment and the trust of his village were already an act of generosity. That act of generosity was bartered with nothing and almost the death of his daughter. To tell him about the village's trader would be unwise.

"Why do you want to know about him ?" asked the head tribe's leader.

"I want to 'mingle' with him," the Spy answered with a smirk on his face.

"I'll tell you anything I know about him," the chief continued, "Only If you are willing to go to Roam."

"Oui," answered the master of espionage.

the chief asked, "What ?"

"I am willing to go," restated the Spy.

The chief told the backstabbing mercenary about the village's merchant. He said that Zavimbi came here about five years ago from Roam. Early retirement due to his injury. His father was also a legionnaire. Was. Death picked him up before they dwell into the wasteland. Stopping him to grasp the dream of a house by the river to spend the rest of his years. He arrived with only what was close to him and a rifle in tow. Ever since that day Zavimbi had been nothing but a blessing, he was the one who mend the motors to the boat and established trading with other merchants. He was the link of the village to the outside world. But he mostly keep to himself was the chief's last remark.

"And there he is right now," pointed out the chief.

Spy turned his head to look. His friend from down under and the zebra clerk had return from their hunt. With deceased crocodiles dragged across the earth. The wet Sniper was immediately met by a mare, the chieftain daughter, Xeras. With a Geiger directed to tall human, the mare questioned whether he had been in the water. Both the Australian and the ex-legionnaire laughed as Zavimbi told her how did Nick Mundy ended up in the water, and gained a profit out of it. It was a rare sight for both the master of espionage and the leader to see them talking, and sharing.

"Well I'll let you to your 'mingling' then," said the chief as he turn to go back inside his home.

Leaving Spy to mingle.

Author's Note:

This is the Spy, Pyro, Sniper arc.