• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 2,386 Views, 75 Comments

Breaking Free - Nrdygrl



Celestia's memories tell an untold story of how she loved him, and how he became a monster

  • ...
3
 75
 2,386

Upside Down

Chapter Five

“Upside Down”



Life in the new castle was grand. Celestia and Luna marveled at how many more rooms and beautiful colors the new castle had. Corridors stretched far and wide between rooms. Statues gazed down on them as they travelled down those hallways. The chandeliers sparkled and twinkled like stars as they rested far above them on the ceilings. The rest of the day was more or less spent exploring the castle and claiming rooms. The king and queen were hard at work using the spell Star Swirl had given them to build houses for the new town. Celestia wanted so badly to be involved in these affairs, but she knew somepony had to watch Luna and be there for Discord. When she got the opportunity, she would listen in on her parents’ discussions when they were in the area. She heard the name "Canterlot" being spoken quite a bit by them, but she was not sure of what they were referring to. She was more focused on appeasing her little sister and accompanying her new draconequus friend. In fact, she was delighted to find Discord was not looking quite a gloomy as he did before. Luna was jumping in circle around him, trying to cheer him up. It seemed to be working a little. He smiled and chuckled at the small alicorn. All of a sudden, Celestia noticed it was getting dark out and realized she had forgotten to try and lower the sun. Her mother was doing it for her. She glanced over at Luna.
"Oh dear, Luna," she said. "How can you have so much energy? Now your clock is ruined."
"I stayed up ALL DAY!" said Luna gleefully.
"It surely has been a strange day," Celestia replied. "So I'm sure nopony is to blame...except maybe Eris."
"I do not like her!" said Luna. She stopped jumping and glared into space. "She is EVIL!"
"There is no ounce of good within her!" said Discord crossing his arms. "Now do you agree?" He looked at Celestia. "Your own sister agrees with me."
"I'm sorry," Celestia replied shaking her head. "I simply can't believe someone can be completely evil without having just a little bit of goodness within them that creates conflict within them. Eris appeared heartless when she left you here, Discord, but I have a feeling she did it for a reason. Do you remember what Star Swirl said? Good does come from bad sometimes. I believe that is true. I believe it is a good thing that you are here. Don't you?"
"Hmm...I think so...yes..." Discord replied quietly. "I think I'll like it here." At that moment, Queen Solina materialized in the room. She smiled at the three and spoke.
"In celebration of this new town and castle, there is a grand feast being prepared in the banquet hall. I can imagine you three are hungry!" All three kids looked at each other and nodded their heads vigorously. Celestia couldn't remember much about the banquet that evening. She had attended many a feast like this before, and this one did not seem particularly special in her mind. She at last discovered that the new town was called Canterlot, and there was a toast held by her parents in honor of it. During dinner, as she gazed around the room, she caught some ponies either staring suspiciously or gossiping about her new draconequus friend a few times. This made her feel sorrier for him. Discord knew ponies thought he was strange and it seemed to bother him. He sat beside her with his arms crossed and a scowl on his face. He didn't eat very much. Finally, when it seemed he had enough, he excused himself early. Celestia was full, but she was bored sitting there, so she followed him. Before she left the room, she caught a glimpse of a very worn out Luna having fallen asleep on the table. She chuckled under her breath and knew her little sister was not going to enjoy staying up all night to get her nocturnal sleep pattern back on track. She turned and exited the room. The corridor was big, long, and quiet. Hardly any sounds were heard, for the giant doors behind her muffled out all the talking and laughter inside. Celestia trotted up to the bipedal figure who was walking quietly with his head hung low. He turned his head a little when he heard her coming. The two stopped walking at the same time. Discord looked at her sadly.
"None of them like me..." he said quietly. "I don't suppose I'm welcome here." He lowered his eyebrows and crossed his arms again sulkily.
"I like you," said Celestia lifting her hoof at him. "Luna likes you. We're your friends."
"...Friends?" Discord responded cocking his head.
"Of course," said Celestia smiling. "I know this will take some getting used to, but we're here for you, Dis." Discord smiled back. Just then, he cocked his head until it was upside down. This made Celestia shriek and jump back in horror.
"What?" he said turning his head back to normal. "Never saw anypony do something like THAT before?" Celestia's eyes grew wide and she didn't answer. Discord laughed and flapped his small wings.
"How...h...how did you do that?" she asked nervously.
"My father is Chaos, remember?" said Discord raising an eyebrow at her as if it were the most obvious thing. "I can do lots of things!" He flew up higher in the room and disappeared. Celestia gasped and trotted further down the hall. She wondered where he went. She scanned the room. It was filled with stained glass windows. Discord appeared in one of them and laughed at her when she jumped. "I'm in the window looking at you! Hahaha!" he said in an echoing voice.
"Oh...that's...that's...enough, Discord!" said Celestia nervously. She didn't like these powers of his. They were most unnatural. Discord frowned and teleported next to her in a flesh state. He scowled and glared at her.
"You are too grim!" he said rolling his eyes around. "Lighten up a little, Celestia!" He playfully nudged her shoulder and smiled.
"Perhaps you are too silly," she replied shaking her head. She smiled, though. She glanced at him and he smirked, as if he had an idea.
"Or too fun for your royal taste..." he scoffed. He stretched his arm around her neck and snapped his fingers. "Hang on!" he warned.
"What do you mea....AHHHHH!!" Celestia shrieked as she felt the strangest falling sensation. But yet, she wasn't falling. The ceiling was pulling her UP. She hit the ceiling with an "oomph" and rolled over onto her hooves. Shocked, she looked around and realized that Discord had reversed their gravity. They were walking on the ceiling, which made everything look upside down. Celestia felt her mane and tail stretch far out above her and her crown fall off her head. She heard it hit the floor below...er...above. She looked up at Discord, who was swinging on the chandelier and laughing uncontrollably.
"Stop it!" she yelled at him. "This isn't fun or funny!"
"Are you kidding?" he responded. "This is the greatest time I've ever had! And the look on your face is hilarious! Even mother wouldn't let me do this! Ha! Now I can!"
"Well this isn't fun for me! This is...unnatural!" Celestia replied, getting irritated with him. "Put things back to normal at once, Discord!"
"Oh...you spoil sport!" he sighed. "Very well...Your Highness..." He reluctantly snapped his fingers again and gripped the chandelier with his tail. Celestia didn't count on the sudden drop. She shrieked as she fell onto the floor hard. She groaned and got to her feet. Discord stared down at her, dangling upside down from the chandelier. He was doing all he could to keep from laughing at her. She glared at him.
"A little warning might have been nice!" she huffed. She retrieved her crown and stormed down the hall. Discord appeared in front of her in an instant. He looked sadly at her and hung his head.
"I wasn't trying to make you mad..." he said quietly. "Please don't be mad." Celestia sighed deeply and looked down. He couldn't really help it, could he? It was innate power within him that he seemed to take pleasure in using. And why wouldn't he like using it? She practiced magic all the time. It wasn't his fault he was different. It wasn't.
"It's all right..." she said calmly. "Perhaps I overreacted a little. I guess I just didn't expect something like that. I've only seen Eris use power like that. It's new and strange to me." Discord nodded.
"I see," he replied softly. "I'm sorry."
"Don't be sorry," Celestia replied. "It's what you were born to do, isn't it? And...you're my friend. I accept you as you are." She hugged him with her neck and then backed away.
"Th...Thanks..." he said quietly. He grinned and scratched his neck and blushed a little. Celestia chuckled at him under her breath. At that moment, her father and a very groggy Luna walked into the room.
"Hello. I trust you two are getting along well," he said smiling at them. "However...it has been quite a long day. I imagine you are both very tired. It is time to go to bed." Luna looked up at Orion and wined.
"Why can't we go to bed?" she whimpered.
"Because some little filly and I stayed up all day long and now we have to muddle through the night so we can sleep in the daytime again." Luna stamped her hoof on the floor.
"No! I want bed!" she squealed. Orion chuckled at her.
"Now, now...perhaps if Luna stays up all night she can go to bed at sunrise." Luna's eyes grew wide and she smiled and nodded her head vigorously. "Good...now run along. Go play," said Orion nuzzling her. She clumsily galloped out of the room. Orion turned to Celestia and Discord and chuckled. "I've never seen her so anxious to go to bed," he said laughingly. Celestia nodded and chuckled as well.
"I've picked a room," she said yawning. "I'm going to retire. Goodnight father. Goodnight, Dis." She started down the hall. Orion bid her goodnight as well. Discord didn't say another word, but she caught him studying her intently with a softer look in his eyes as she exited the room. In the next corridor she traveled down, she met up with Luna. Luna trotted up to her, her eyes sagging with weariness.
"Tia! Play with me," she said. "I need to stay awake."
"I can't, Luna. I have to go to bed," Celestia replied.
"Where's Discord? I want him to play with me!" said Luna flapping her tiny wings as she reared up on her back legs.
"He's probably going to find his room too," said Celestia turning her head when she heard the door open. He was coming as well. Luna did not appear to like this answer. She galloped over to him.
"DisDisDisDis! Playplayplayplayplaywithmeeee!" Discord chuckled.
"Not now, Luna," he said. "Tomorrow." Luna pouted.
"Maybe father will play with you, Luna," said Celestia nudging her. Luna brightened up at the thought.
"Maybe we can talk to the stars again..." she said hopefully. "And they can talk back this time." Celestia smiled and nodded. She glanced at Discord and noticed he was studying her with his eyes again. He looked away quickly and pretended to look at the ceiling. She glanced back down at Luna. Her little sister had a huge grin on her face.
"Well! Goodnight, my grim Princess Celestia," said Discord chuckling and bowing at her. "And goodnight sleepy Princess Luna!"
"Night Discord!" The two alicorns said in unison. He glanced sideways at Celestia again and smiled before he left the room. She smiled back and looked down at Luna again. Luna giggled and jumped up and down.
"Tiiiiiaaaa!" she squealed excitedly. "Diiisss is your boooyyyfrrriiiiend!"
"Oh, Luna!" Celestia said sighing and rolling her eyes. "No he's not. We've just met and became friends today! Just because he's a boy you automatically think he's my boyfriend, don't you?"
"No..." said Luna lowering her eyelids. "It's because I think he fancies you!"
"No he doesn't, Luna. Do you even understand what that means?" said Celestia sighing.
"Yeah! Mama told me," she replied indignantly. "I'm not a dummy-head! You're the dummy-head if you can't see it."
"No I'm not!" Celestia retorted. "I'm just being realistic, because I know more than you. I'm older than you, you know." Luna glared at her.
"You could still be a dummy-head," she grumbled under breath. She turned and trotted off down the hall.
"Goodnight to you too, Luna," said Celestia chuckling at her young sister. "She has so much to learn," she said to herself. "I'm not a dummy-head!" She paused and looked up in thought. Then she immediately shook her head and chuckled. "Impossible," she murmured laughingly. She exited the room to head off to bed.

TO BE CONTINUED...