• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 2,385 Views, 75 Comments

Breaking Free - Nrdygrl



Celestia's memories tell an untold story of how she loved him, and how he became a monster

  • ...
3
 75
 2,385

Awake

Author’s Note: UPDATE!! First chapter of Part Two! Are you excited? Cuz I’m excited. I’ve never been so excited! Except for the time when I went *Pinkie Pie GASP* But I mean really…. Okay, I’ll let you read now. :3



PART TWO:

Chapter Sixteen

"Awake"




Something about the cottage was remarkably unnerving. There was no real indication as to what was causing such an eerie atmosphere. Perhaps it was the growling thunder in the distance. Perhaps it was the pale light that slithered across the wood floor when he threw the door open. A flash of lightning illuminated the cabin, making the aura of the small house that much more eerie. Rain was pouring heavily out of the darkening sky by this time. It had come over very quickly, almost in an appropriate fashion, considering there was a strange sense of darkness in the air.

Discord managed to drag himself into the dry, dark cottage. He slammed the door behind him and gasped for air. The rain had down poured fast on him as he was making his way back to the lake. That was the least of his problems at the moment, though. His whole body shook and dropped down onto the floor. The only thing bracing him was the door, which kept his back and neck from simply collapsing onto the floor with the rest of him. Water dripped from his head and trickled along his serpentine figure. His fur was darkened and sopping. His skin was riddled with goosebumps as the water droplets left a trail of cold in their path before they dropped to the floor. They began to pool up around him, but like he cared. He shivered and shook like a leaf.

Both his claw and paw were still curled into fists. He glanced down and opened his paw, stretching out the tightened muscles in his fingers. He could still see a few tiny glittering specks of what used to be the ring. They'd never leave him, would they? Perhaps they'd be so tightly ingrained in his paw, he could never be rid of them. They'd haunt him forever. However, this wasn't the only thing. All along the walls of the cottage were pictures. They were drawings and paintings. Most of them were of her. She had been his whole world. And now… The many faces glared at him from the wall as the lightning flashed again. They seemed to smile almost sadistically at him. Almost humored by his pain. Perhaps somewhere his father was laughing at him.

It was pretty useless to hold back the tears. They poured out of Discord's eyes. They were streaming down in an almost never-ending waterfall. They warmed his face, because they had been heated by the anguish and anger he was feeling. Some trickled into the corners of his mouth, leaving a bitter, salty taste inside it. Those words. Those four words rang in his mind over and over again. They rattled around, pounding the sides of his skull, stabbing his heart over and over with each excruciating echo.

"I can't love you."

His hands recoiled into fists. He shut his eyes tight.

"I can't love you."

There were no more questions. No more mysteries yet to be solved. She couldn't love him. She NEVER loved him. He had been fooled. She had taken his heart and toyed with it in her own devious way. Ignorance had been bliss, but now the revelation stung more than anything.

“I can’t love you.”

That’s right. You can’t. Because no one can, he thought, more anger boiling up inside him. He glanced up at the wall and clenched his teeth together. He struggled to his feet and began trembling. The power that he had forced down deep inside him so well for so many years was now resurfacing. Why hold back now? What was the point? Promises? What promises? More like lies. All lies. He walked with heavy steps over to the wall. In a swift gesture, accomplished by anger-fueled strength, he lifted his arms up and tore the pictures off the wall. The many faces of his alicorn fluttered to the floor. They continued to stare at him, taunting him. Discord picked up a few and ripped them apart. Everything was pointless. His life held no meaning. Amongst the papers, he discovered the heart he had drawn for her years ago. He picked it up and tore it slowly down the middle.

You did this to me… he thought. He sighed and dropped down again. Perhaps he should just sit here in this cottage and wait until he died. Just let himself wither away and save the world from the freak that ruined their miserable lives. After all, they hated him for breathing, didn’t they? He lifted his throbbing head up to gaze at a mirror hanging on the wall. He noticed the centers of his eyes were a shade of red now. Was this to represent how infuriated he was? That darkness he had always fought so hard to hide away forever was surging through his veins. Much to his surprise, it made everything feel so much better. Though he was at the lowest of lows, his depressed thoughts completely turned on their heads. No. He couldn’t give those stupid equines the satisfaction of having him cease to exist. He wouldn’t just sit by and let them get away with everything they put him through. They should pay, shouldn’t they? He wouldn’t let them win. But really…how could he fight back?

Discord sighed as he felt his power returning to him. He felt he could use it now without restraint or fear. Though the lightning flashed around him occasionally, the cottage was still filled with darkness. He snapped his fingers and created glowing orbs. The orbs illuminated the house, spawning dark, disturbing shadows. They stared down at him from the wall. His own shadow loomed high above him. He stood up and stared blankly at his black, motionless, silent copy. A boom of thunder rattled the walls. After it faded, a whisper tickled his ear.

“Wake up…” Discord’s ear twitched and he turned his head. His eyes shifted around the cottage. He felt a breeze rush behind him, sending a chill down his spine. He stood up again and narrowed his eyes. He knew that whisper. It was a faint memory, but he knew it. “Wake up.”

“What do you mean, ‘wake up’?” Discord said in a hoarse voice. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw movement. His shadow was moving without him. It laughed and bared its teeth at him. Its voice echoed into haunting whispers.

“You know exactly what I mean. You’ve hit your lowest point. Rock bottom. Why sit around moping? Why think about revenge when you can carry it out?”

“Don’t try to trick me or lecture me…Father,” snapped Discord. “Let me be.”

“I am not your father,” the shadow replied, laughing. “But I am like him.”

“Who are you, then?” Discord asked, approaching the wall. The shadow flew out of sight. Discord whirled around to find where it went. The shadow grinned as it slithered under his feet and rose up in front of him.

“I’m you,” it replied. It hovered in front of the mirror and an image of Chaos appeared inside it. Discord felt more fury rise up inside him.

“I’m not like my father! And how can you be me? That’s…”

“Don’t say it’s impossible,” the shadow replied, hovering away from the mirror. “Nothing is impossible when you have power. And also when your sanity is slipping away.” The shadow laughed. “You can’t resist the lust of revenge. It’s already here. The more you defy me, the more your purpose in life will fade into nonexistence.” There was echoing laughter and thunder boomed once more. The orbs disappeared and Discord stood alone in the darkness. Was he truly losing his mind? Was all this heartbroken anguish making him mad? Perhaps revenge was not the answer. Perhaps she had a good reason for saying no…

No… he thought, shaking off all doubt. There is no justifying anything. I have a right to feel this way. She deserves to suffer as I am right now. They all do. He could feel his power surging through him even more now. Discord sucked a deep breath of air into his lungs and illuminated the cottage again with magic. He blinked his yellow and red eyes and let a smile creep across his face as the light danced off his fur. At that moment in time, a thought entered his mind. He approached a set of drawers on the opposite side of the room and opened the bottom drawer. Inside he found the gold locket his mother had given him. He had not once opened it. He was supposed to discover who he was. Was this the time? Had his mother known this moment would come? Had she known…this whole time…what would happen? That he would hate the equines? So he would have the heart for revenge? At this point, what she did to him seemed not quite as bad as what Celestia had done to him. He held the locket in his paw and opened it. A bright light flashed in front of him, he dropped the locket on the floor, and his mother’s voice echoed all around him.

'Discord, my son. You have opened the locket I gave you. This is a telepathic message I locked inside it before I gave it to you on the cliff side. Knowing the good boy you are, you obeyed my instructions and did not open it until you needed to. Now, I know you have opened this message because you have hit your lowest of lows. You have now learned just how awful and terrible these equines are, and you have learned to hate them as I do. Now, I must tell you your destiny. You are your father’s son. And you are and always will be Discord: spirit of chaos and disharmony alone. You are destined to use your powers to take over this land and watch these miserable creatures suffer. You will have to finish what I started, my son. Come to me. Come to the Everfree Forest and awake me from my slumber. I will show you what to do and what the alicorn’s weaknesses are. Then, do what you wish to make Equestria yours.'

Then, all was quiet in the house again. The locket glowed bright until it flashed and then disintegrated. A flaming heart-shaped ring was burned onto the floor where it had been. Discord turned and sighed, recoiling his hands into fists. Before he left the cottage, he sent a bolt at the remaining pictures on the opposite side of the room. The inside of the house quickly began to fill with flames and the ceiling began to heave. Discord, who was not touched by the fire, slowly exited the cottage, leaving the door open. The rain poured down on him again. The sorrow, the anguish, the heartbreak…was burning. And all that was left now…was the need for revenge. As he flew away from the inferno, another crazed smile appeared on his visage. Revenge was his new purpose…his new object of desire. And how sweet it would taste when he obtained it.


___________________________________



Something certainly didn’t feel right when Luna couldn’t sleep that day…but this was something she never expected. She stood in a pile of chard ruble, feeling absolutely confused and worried. The cottage that once was…now burned to the ground. She wasn’t sure what had happened between her sister and Discord the evening before, but something must’ve happened, because Celestia hadn’t left her room all day. And considering Discord was nowhere to be found, Luna was feeling more worried by the minute. Might it have had something to do with Celestia gaining Forevermore? Did she break off the relationship? Still, that didn’t explain why Discord had suddenly disappeared and why his cottage had mysteriously burned down, along with the many paintings of Celestia inside of it. Fear suddenly gripped Luna. Had Discord taken it harder than expected? She knew his heart was fragile, but…this….

And that’s when the sky turned red.



__________________________




Dark, eerie, mysterious; there were many words to describe Everfree. At this point in time, Discord could only think of one: home. In truth, a chaotic place like this was home. As he walked through, he saw many strange creatures and plants. Many a time during his trek, there was a rustle in the bushes, or a pair of eyes watching him. Soon, he arrived at a clearing and there was the old castle. Some brush and trees had started to grow around the area. He halted in front of the stone, ruined castle and spoke out.

“Eris! Awake!” There was rumbling all around him, especially beneath him. Animals screeched and birds flew in a panic overhead. A large, purple and black figure erupted from the stone castle and stretched her arms. She yawned and blinked, turning her head and looking around.

“Ohhh! Ten thousand years already?” she mumbled. Then, she glanced down at Discord and gasped. “Oh! Hello, Son! Got my message, I presume? Oh, how long has it been? Mmm…seven years already?! Oh, how time flies. And look at you! What a handsome devil you are! At least you look more like me and not your father…”

“Oh, shut up!” said Discord gruffly. “You must know why I’m here. I didn’t come here for a reunion, Mother.”

“Of course not,” said Eris sighing. “I suppose you probably still are angry at me for leaving you with those equines. It was strategic, Son…I assure you. You were given an opportunity to live amongst them, learn with them, befriend them…love them…” She paused and raised her eyebrows. “You loved the princess didn’t you? The one who would command the sun.” Discord pinned his ears back and made fists. “I knew you would. She was beautiful even then when I saw her. And still young. And right then, on that cliff side, when I pushed you in front of her, I sensed that little bloom of love already beginning. It was inevitable. Let me guess, she told you that she loved you, but…ended up breaking your heart.” Discord glared at the ground and tightened his jaw. “I thought so,” said Eris smiling. “But, you, see, you had to learn that equines cannot be befriended or loved or trusted. You had to end up despising them so much; you had to come to me! Some lessons must be learned the hard way. Now, good comes out of all of this, Son. Now you can have revenge on them. But especially her. You can crush her with your power, Discord.”

“No,” Discord replied quietly.

“No?!” said Eris raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t want to crush her,” said Discord smiling evilly. “I want to break her. Just like she broke me.” Eris laughed.

“Oh, how you’ve changed, my son,” she said. “And just how will you break her?”

“Show me how to take the kingdom,” said Discord. “I’ll break her heart.”




_______________________________-





Yes, indeed, those days are always so beautiful, so peaceful, so ordinary…before everything goes dark…before everything plunges into chaos, confusion, and everything evil and not understood. The scene before her was blurry. But even amidst the blurriness of her vision, it didn’t look right. Celestia wasn’t sure for a moment where she was. Had she fallen unconscious? She was lying on the ground. She tried her best to struggle to her feet. Her hooves came in contact with something that wasn’t grass. Looking down, she could see gray beneath her. Ash? Fire? Where was there fire? She shook her head and looked around. Dizziness continued to make her vision blurry. Faint screams reached her ears, but her hearing wasn’t all back yet. Her mind spun with thousands of questions. She stood still, waiting for things to make sense again, but they didn’t. All of a sudden, Luna was by her side. Her sister was in a panic. Her mouth moved but no words registered. Her teal eyes were wild with fear. Celestia could feel the world spinning again. Her head throbbed and sleep wanted to pull her under again. Her knees wobbled. The last thing she saw before everything went dark again was the castle floating upside down in the air, ash falling from clouds in the sky…and the sky itself which had turned a blood red.



TO BE CONTINUED…



Continued Author’s Note:

I forgot to mention this in the last chapter, but, it’s obviously my theory that Celestia’s pink hair turned to multi colors when she gained Forevermore. Well, The same theory applies to Luna. ??? Her mane turned all flowy in “Luna Eclipsed.” Maybe she became immortal and her appearance changed? That was my theory all along, actually. Lol. *shrugs* It’s a thought.

Anyways: I feel sad now. I want cotton candy now. :(((

Will update as soon as possible, as always. Oh! And btw: I’m on Youtube now! I’ve posted a couple pony vids on there. My name on there is Nrdygrl4Ever .

Look me up! Watch my vids. Like. Comment. Subscribe. Dislike…Be a meany head…or just don’t say or do anything…I dunno… lol.