• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 2,386 Views, 75 Comments

Breaking Free - Nrdygrl



Celestia's memories tell an untold story of how she loved him, and how he became a monster

  • ...
3
 75
 2,386

A Night to Remember

Chapter Fourteen

“A Night to Remember”




“Hold still, Luna!” Celestia exclaimed as performed a drying spell on her soaking wet sister.

“I can’t help it,” Luna squealed. “Tonight is the night! The night! The night!” She trembled in excitement as little droplets of water trickled down her fur. Celestia chuckled slightly as her horn glowed bright. The water lifted off of Luna and evaporated into the air. Luna’s fur and mane shined and shimmered in the light. The purple alicorn squirmed eagerly around in her chair in front of the mirror as Celestia gently stroked her mane with a brush.

“It certainly will be fun, won’t it?” said Celestia grinning ear to ear.

“Fun?” said Luna practically falling off the chair with her hyperactivity. “It will be amazing! It will be so…so…I don’t even know what! All sorts of ponies from all over the kingdom will be there and there will be dancing and music and food and…oh! It’s all so wonderful!”

“"Mother and Father officially called it The Grand Galloping Gala on all the invitations. Quite a catchy name."

"You're going to look so beautiful in your dress, Tia," said Luna dreamily.

"And so will you, Sister," Celestia replied. "I was a bit angry that Mother wouldn't show them to us ahead of time, but we will get to see them today, finally!"

"And wear them! And dance the night away!" Luna squealed. Her eyes opened wide. "Are you and Dis going to dance together? You better."

"Maybe," said Celestia smiling a little as a blush turned her cheeks pink. "If he asks me."

"Have you two talked at all about...you know what...ever since...eh...that moment by the lake...?" Luna asked growing sheepish as she mentioned it.

"No," said Celestia sighing. "I haven't really been focused on that. I'd like to get my studies out of the way."

"There's more to life than studying, Tia," said Luna rolling her eyes. "Didn't that 'more than friends' moment happen a while ago now? Like you two haven't had a moment alone since then."

"I try to avoid such moments now, Luna...since they will always probably get interrupted," said Celestia annoyed.

"Hey," said Luna drooping her ears. "I said I was sorry."

"Oh...no...I'm...I'm sorry, Luna," Celestia replied shaking her head and sighing. "I shouldn't blame you. I guess...I'm just..." She set the brush down on the vanity and turned away.

"What?" asked Luna turning around in her chair and setting her hooves of the back of it.

"I'm afraid," Celestia admitted.

"Of what?!" said Luna half laughing. "You both love each other. What's there to fear?"

"It's...complicated," replied Celestia turning back to her sister. "What if...it's not meant to be?"

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since that interruption, I've felt odd about even bringing the topic up again with him. Everything is back to normal. We're the best of friends. Closer than ever. But...perhaps we should stay happy that way. Stay...just friends."

"What?! No! Tia..." said Luna, practically falling off the chair.

"Listen to me, Luna," said Celestia sighing. "I'm afraid that...if we pursue a relationship...I...I don't know. I'm just worried. Star Swirl told me after I healed Discord in the hospital...that his heart could be broken easily because of that spell. What if something comes between us? What if it has to end? He'll be devastated. It won't be pretty, Luna. I have to consider the possibilities."

"But Tia..." said Luna. "You can't sit by and let a chance just slip passed you. There's no sense in not even trying when you don't know the future. You have to take risks. You can't worry. You have found true love. It's here...in this castle! Something like this doesn't happen every day." Celestia looked down and didn't respond. Then, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," she said turning her head and quickly forming a smile across her face. A guard entered the room.

"Your Highnesses...the Queen is ready with your gowns." The conversation the two had been having melted into oblivion when they heard that. They gave a gleeful look at one another and followed the guard briskly into the ballroom. Decorations were already being hung on all the walls, and the floor was being thoroughly swept and polished by busy servants. Queen Solina turned to Celestia and Luna as they trotted into the room.

“My daughters,” she said grinning. “I give you…your gowns.” She stepped to the side and behind her were a pair of the most beautiful dresses on pony mannequins that Celestia and Luna had ever laid eyes on. Luna’s dress was a beautiful baby pink. There was a sparkling, transparent covering over the skirt that was purple on the top and faded into a dark blue at the bottom. Diamonds lined the bottom of the dress and the shoes were clear, glasslike slippers. It took the little alicorn’s breath away. Her eyes widened and glistened in sheer surprise and bliss.

“Oh, mother! It…it looks like the sky when I begin to raise the moon at night!” she exclaimed. “It’s…so amazing!” Then, Celestia turned her gaze to her gown and her jaw dropped. Celestia’s dress was the color of the clear blue sky on a cloudless day. The skirt was long and wavy and it shimmered and sparkled at the bottom along with her shoes. It reminded her of times when she would gaze at the lake and see the sun as it was reflected on the water. Oh, how beautiful it was when it glistened across the lake. Magic had to be involved in capturing such beauty in a piece of fabric. She was completely speechless. Her mother smiled at her and Luna. No words were needed at this time. The visible emotions on their faces sustained the moment. It would be a night to remember. There was no doubt.


__________________________



Discord followed the guards into the ballroom in great anticipation. King Orion had summoned him into the ballroom. He assumed it was to show him the suit he’d be wearing that evening at the gala. On his way into the room, Celestia and Luna trotted by, squealing and giggling, probably in their girlish anticipation of the dance that night. Celestia briefly locked eyes with him as she passed him, which made his heart skip a beat. He was already imagining how she would look at the party that evening. Probably ten times more beautiful than she already was. He scurried behind the guards into the grand ball room. King Orion, in all his regal glory stood tall and proud before him, smiling down at the draconequus kindly.

“Hello, Discord,” he said cheerfully. “I have a gift for you.” He stepped aside to reveal a smart black and white tuxedo. It was equipped with a bowtie and some red accents in the front, along with coattails trailing along the back of it. It was certainly fit for a ball, and looked as if it were tailored specifically for Discord’s body shape. “This…is what I wore at my wedding,” Orion explained. Discord blinked in surprise.

“You want me to wear it?!” he said.

“Yes,” Orion replied. “I had it tailored for you. I believe it is your time to step out in the spotlight. This is your moment.”

“I…I don’t know what to say,” Discord stuttered. “Thank you, sir. I couldn’t possibly…”

“Under a king’s order…you’ll wear it,” said Orion winking. Discord beamed. He looked back at the outfit. It wasn’t meant for him. It was meant for someone as great as Orion. He didn’t deserve it. He had not once even considered wearing something such as this to look…handsome. He laughed a little inside. That word wasn’t even in his vocabulary. He looked down a little in defeat. He could never live up to something so great. He could never even impress Celestia. Was this truly his time, though? Was Orion correct when he said that? Could he put aside all his fears and conflicts and worries and insecurities for one night and take a chance with the girl he loved? Could she ever truly love him like he never believed she could? Orion seemed to almost read his mind, what with the saddened expression on his face.

“You know, Discord, life doesn’t make sense sometimes. In fact…the very life we think we creatures of Order understand becomes quite chaotic. Logic doesn’t always play a part in the choices we make and the dreams we pursue. I find…one of life’s greatest mysteries…or miracles is love. Love is discordant. Love is complicated. But it’s also worth it. Solina and I fell in love before we were betrothed because we decided, against all odds, we would be together, even though we were on opposite sides of the spectrum. It was risky. It was illogical. It was ridiculous. It was love.” Discord listened intently to the king’s wise words, thinking them over. “So, Discord…I understand you are in love with my Tia.” At this point, Discord looked down at the ground and winced. He had wished Orion wouldn’t have brought it up ever since he admitted it to him.

“Yes, sir…” he said in the most inaudible voice ever.

“As I said before, Discord. Tonight is your night. I must say, in the time we have gotten to know you, I have seen that you are a good, kind, caring friend to my girls…and are well deserving of my daughter. And tonight…my advice to you…is to follow your heart and see what happens.” Discord looked up in shock and blinked in surprise. King Orion smiled down at him. Discord was at a complete loss for words, so he leaned in and hugged Orion. The king chuckled and put his hoof around the draconequus affectionately. This truly would be a night to remember.



_________________________




Scores and scores of ponies were already pouring into the ballroom. The king and queen were greeting the guests. Meanwhile, Luna and Celestia were getting the finishing touches on their makeup.

“I want to get into my dress already!” said Luna impatiently. “I don’t want to go to the gala naked!”

“We walk around naked all the time, Luna,” said Celestia rolling her eyes.

“Well…good point,” said Luna sighing. “But still! This is very special. I’ve never done anything like this before!”

“Me neither,” said Celestia. “And we can share it together, sister!” She and Luna bumped hoofs.

“I won’t be the only one you’ll share it with,” Luna said in a teasing voice.

“I told you not to bring that up again,” said Celestia annoyed.

“I’m just saying…you need to stop worrying and just follow your heart,” said Luna shrugging.

“Drop it, Luna.”


_______________________



It was almost time for the princesses’ grand entrance. The crowd of ponies in the ballroom seemed to be growing impatient as they were waiting. Discord stood by Orion and Solina, growing very uncomfortable in his tuxedo. The many ponies crowded around the hot room were turning his outfit into a furnace. He sighed wearily and played with his bowtie in anticipation. Perhaps his perspiration was all due to his nerves, but he was almost thankful the amount of heat in the room covered for him. Solina smiled at him.

“You look so striking, Discord,” she said sweetly. “Orion was right to put you in that tuxedo. It fits you perfectly too!”

“They did a good job,” Orion commented. “Does he look nearly as good as I did at our wedding, Solina?” he said winking.

“Oh, stop, it, Orion,” said Solina chuckling. “You both are very handsome men. Now…I wonder where my beautiful girls are…”

“Does it really take them that long?” Orion questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“Of course, dear,” said Solina incredulously. Discord and Orion looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

“Girls…” Discord muttered. At that moment, a servant stepped out from a hallway onto a platform with stairs at the bottom of it. A spotlight appeared over the pony and the whole ballroom immediately quieted down.

“Mares and gentlecolts, may I present to you…in our first ever Grand Galloping Gala…your princesses. Princess Luna!” The pony stepped backwards out of sight and there was a pause. Then, a purple alicorn stepped into the spotlight. She, however, was not the silly little Luna Discord knew. She was dressed in pink and purple and blue and sparkled all over. Her hair was wavy and pulled onto one side. A white flower was right below her ear. Her makeup made her look so much older. Everypony in the room was instantly whispering and stomping their hooves with how pretty she looked. Luna walked down the steps and joined her parents and Discord.

“Luna, you look beautiful,” said Solina nuzzling her.

“Thank you, mother! I love my dress so much,” Luna exclaimed.

“You are so pretty, my Lu,” said Orion sighing.

“Yeah, Luna. You look very, very pretty,” said Discord smiling. Luna grinned and fluttered her wings in excitement.

“Wait until you see Tia,” she responded. “She’ll be along…”

“And…Princess Celestia…” the announcer said. Once again, the room fell completely silent. Discord felt his heart leap out of his chest several times. He held his breath in great anticipation. They waited…and waited…and waited some more. Nothing happened. The announcer stepped back on stage again, an apparent look of confusion on his face. “Ahem…uh…may I present…Princess Celestia!...” More silence. More seconds went by with nothing happening, and each second felt like an eternity. The king and queen whispered to each other in confusion. Discord swallowed hard and more sweat appeared on his brow that he desperately tried to wipe away. After what felt like a million years of waiting, but was only a few seconds, a glimpse of a figure appeared. The white alicorn princess slowly…slowly and seemingly…shyly made her way into the center of the stage. By this time, all the ponies in the room weren’t watching the stage very intently and all turned their heads to look. As soon as they did, gasps were heard all around the room. Discord’s eyes grew wide and he felt his heart stop. Literally stop.

Princess Celestia…in true royal fashion was standing before him this very moment. And she was…beyond beautiful. Beyond regal. Beyond stunning. Beyond anything he could ever picture in his wildest dreams. She was an angel. She was perfect. Her coat seamed to glow as the light softly kissed it. Her shining pink mane was pulled up on the top of her head and curls flowed down onto her shoulders. Her violet eyes sparkled as she gazed at the crowd before her. Her dress shimmered like the lake did when the sun reflected off of it. Her wings raised up slightly, which made her look even more heavenly. Her cheeks flushed a pink. Even in a state of such unbreakable beauty, she was blushing humbly. And yet…she was perfect. Discord was in such a state of awe, he couldn’t be sure if the crowd applauded or not. His hearing failed him. His throat closed up on him. His vision could only see her…nothing else. The rest of his body turned numb and his insides turned to mush. Next thing he knew, she was walking up to him. Her lips moved slightly as she spoke to him. Wait…what did she say? Was this really Tia?! Was this his best friend?! He didn’t even recognize her. And he always thought she was amazing. Now she was beyond amazing! How that was even possible, he didn’t know.

“Wh…what?” he said, stuttering. He winced under his breath.

'Idiot!' he thought. Celestia giggled.

“I said…’you look very handsome, Discord,’” she repeated.

“Oh,” he said feeling his face turn red. “Th-thank you. You…you…look…so beautiful…uh! Princess Celestia…” he said bowing. Celestia raised an eyebrow at him.

“It’s just me, Dis,” she said chuckling. “Tia. Remember? You don’t have to be formal.”

“It’s a gala, isn’t it?” said Discord crossing his arms. “I believe that is customary in the presence of royalty.” Celestia giggled again. There was a silence. The two looked around the room nervously. In fact, they were pretending to look everywhere else but at each other. Actually, Celestia really did notice one thing.

“Luna,” she said, nudging her sister. “I see a colt over there who has his eye on you.”

“Really?” said Luna glancing over and grinning. “Should I go talk to him?”

“Well…” said Orion narrowing his eyes.

“Yes! Go on…” said Solina winking at her. Orion fidgeted and sighed. Luna trotted off. “Come, dear. I see the Sages wish to speak with us,” said Solina nudging Orion away. She winked at Celestia before they left. Discord could hear music starting to play. It was slow, soft music. Pony couples were heading out onto the dance floor already. Now was the time.

“Princess…” he said softly as he approached her. He sighed and took her hoof into his lion paw. He looked her in the eyes. His stomach twisted and turned into knots that almost made him want to throw up. Instead, the words came out. “May I have this dance?” A big smile spread across Celestia’s face.

“Of course…” she said quietly.

The music carried them away. Discord couldn’t remember much about the dance. All he knew was, it was nothing short of magical. There was no dialogue between him and Celestia, but actions spoke for themselves. At one point, she rested her head on his shoulder. He felt at ease here. It was a wonderful place. Even if it had to end…even if they never would be together truly…at least he knew he would always have this moment to keep in his heart. He held her in his arms…the one he always loved and would always love. Chaos and Order shared a waltz as the moon and stars came out over the Canterlot castle. When it was over, the two decided to go out on the balcony. The two stood in silence for a few minutes. They simply gazed at the stars. Discord saw a shooting star streak across the sky.

“They say that falling stars grant wishes,” said Celestia quietly. “Maybe we can have those wishes we made by the lake that day…” She was hinting. He knew it. They needed to talk about it. It was unavoidable.

“Maybe,” he said quietly.

“Do you still stand by your wish?” Celestia asked him, cocking her head. Discord didn’t answer. “I hope you don’t,” she said.

“If you were me…wouldn’t you?” he asked gently.

“Not if…I knew…” she replied.

“Knew what?”

“Not if I knew that I was loved the way I am…” said Celestia. “Not if I knew that somepony fell in love with me…for who I was on the inside and still loved and excepted how I was on the outside.”

“Don’t speak in riddles,” said Discord sighing.

“I thought you liked riddles,” said Celestia annoyed. “Considering that’s all you’ve ever been doing. At least that one time at the lake…I tried to make an effort to change things. You never did!”

“If you were a freak of nature you wouldn’t either!” Discord yelled at her. Celestia’s eyes welled up. She turned to him and approached him.

“Will you never believe me?” she whispered.

“It’s too good to be true…” he whispered back.

“What can I do than, Discord?” Celestia shouted, tears rolling down her cheeks. “What can I do to make you believe?!” There was silence. Discord looked down at the ground and his throat closed up again. He felt his heart breaking. Things could never change. They couldn’t. He couldn’t believe Orion anymore. It was all a lie. Love didn’t exist here. Not with him. It never would. He figured he should give up now. He shouldn’t cause her or anypony else anymore pain. It wasn’t worth it. He shifted his eyes up to look at her again. He would simply leave. Or should he say something? Either way, everything was crashing down around him again….

Suddenly, the most impossible thing happened. The last thing he ever expected occurred. Celestia, tears still pouring out of her eyes and stepped closer to him, and in one sift motion…kissed him on the lips. Discord felt his heart stop for the second time that evening. He blinked in surprise until his eyelids fell shut and stayed shut. He could never have described what the moment was like, but it was unlike anything else. The world slowed to a stop around them. It felt as if a warm current of energy flowed through them…almost magic…and maybe it was. But it was a kind of magic that could only be found in such a moment of passion. Discord was still in shock even now. Tears flowed from his eyes. It was…impossible. And yet…here she was…finally his. It had to be a dream. There was no denying it was. After a few seconds, the two pulled away. Celestia’s deep eyes sparkled like dew. Her tear-stained face gleamed in the moonlight.

“I love you…” she whispered. “And I don’t care what may happen. I don’t care what they say. I don’t care what you are or who you are or how chaotic you are. Discord…I love you. I want us to be together.”

“I love you too,” Discord replied, feeling his throat still quite choked up. “But you already knew that.” Celestia chuckled between tears of joy and nuzzled him. Everything was here. What more could he want now? It would take him forever just to realize it wasn’t a dream. Chaos and Order were together. It was a romance unlike any other the gods had witnessed. And it was far from over. For…that night as the two stood side by side on the balcony beneath the starry sky, the stars started speaking in hushed voices…and then fell silent altogether.



TO BE CONTINUED…