• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 2,386 Views, 75 Comments

Breaking Free - Nrdygrl



Celestia's memories tell an untold story of how she loved him, and how he became a monster

  • ...
3
 75
 2,386

Solar Eclipse

Author’s Note:

Ahhhhh!!! I hath returned my lovely people. Nrdygrl is back in da game!! *Unexpectedly breaks out into Gangnam Style* XD Whoop! Season 3 is da bomb so far is it not? I absolutely loved “Magic Duel.” Zecora is Yoda. (in reference to my video spoof.) lol!! ;p Did anybody else think that “Sleepless in Ponyville” was also a seriously unexpectedly awesome ep?! I mean, I figured it would be good, but…LUNA! I mean, she was so sweet.
P.S. Be on the lookout for a reference to that in this chapter. Mwhahaha… >:)
New episode: “Wonderbolt Academy”! Me liked! :D Don’t worry, I won’t put spoilers in case you haven’t seen it yet. But there’s a return of the “YEEAAHHH” guy with the little baby wings. Lol! How does he fly??? That is like…impossible. Rotfl! Did anybody see Derpy? I think I heard somewhere she won’t be showing up in the background anymore! ? :’(( Tell me it’s a false rumor or I will be sad. Spitfire has a different voice I think. Does she? It’s not the same as last time she had dialogue. But she’s still BOSS all of a sudden. xD

So in other pony news, I’ve been constantly playing that Gameloft game on my phone. It’s so addicting. I got Octavia and DJ Pon3 finally! Super cute. :3 But…oh my gosh. Stupid Rarity. Ok well maybe she’s not stupid but…Why is she 90 gems?! RAWR! I’m cheating. Buying Fluttershy instead. Lol! Add me (on there I’m SuperNrdygrl) and send me hearts. I’ll gift baaaccckk. :3 I’m supposed to get Scootaloo but I might just say “meh. Screw Scoot. I want Zecora. I like her now. She’s Yoda.” LOL. xD
In boring news: I’ve been suffering with germs. Germs are not fun. They laugh at me. However, in this time of germieness, I’ve been coming up with some new ideas for Fanfics when this one’s done. I also might be posting some more stuff on Youtube soon. Keep an eye on me, Kay? At least one. ;)
Wow that was long. Lol. Ok. Just read the thing already. Guess what! 163 pages now! Longest Word Document I think I’ve ever had on here. LOL. Ok sorry….I’ll be quiet now… you can go ahead and reeeaaddd…. That’s cool. I’ll shut up now.








Chapter Twenty

“Solar Eclipse”





Oh, how sweet the view from the balcony was. Oh, how sweet was the new feeling of disarray and unrest that manifested into the air and entered into his lungs whenever he took a breath. Such a sick sweetness, he could not share with the world. An intoxication of power, a fantasy that would never end. It was a drug. But it was enjoyable, all the same. These things were noted, as Equestria’s new dictator, never mind the title of king, or anything else, stood at the foot of the balcony, relishing his creation. Chaos in all its glory. No…Discord in all his glory. Another big exhale in. And he was going in deeper. Drowning in something so beautifully horrible, he knew he would never leave. He took a drink from the glass in his claw, his dull eyes set at a torpid, almost depressed gaze. Even the something in the chocolate milk that ran down his throat had a slight bitter, sour quality to it, that could only have been produced by the musings in the back of his mind as he stood there, enveloped in all the disharmony. In this moment in time—he wasn’t sure why he chose this particular moment to think when he could be doing a lot more damage out in his new kingdom—he wondered why he wasn’t feeling as happy as he should’ve been.

I have everything now. I’m the puppet master. Today Canterlot, tomorrow, all of Equestria and then…maybe the world. Who knows. Celestia…Luna…once they realize they can’t defeat me, they’ll go away somewhere. Disappear with as many subjects as they can. Try their best to counter-act my spells and build their own little kingdom far away. They’ll give up eventually, but it will be to no avail. I’ll practice my chaos until I gain Forevermore. I’ll live for until eternity and beyond." A devious grin found its way across his muzzle as he thought all this.

“Aren’t you happy now?” a dark voice asked, tickling his ear. Discord blinked his red and yellow eyes and turned his head. There was a mirror hanging on the wall behind him. He glanced at it and saw a mismatched reflection. It was his mirror image, except it resembled the shadowy image he saw in the cottage. It was his outline, only black like Chaos with red, fiery eyes. It grinned at him. “You’ve finally become your father’s son, and now that you’ve accepted me, why the pangs of guilt? Don’t let that drag you back now.”

“What guilt?” said Discord narrowing his eyes and sipping more milk. “I took over an entire kingdom and crushed Celestia’s heart like she crushed mine. I extracted revenge. Where’s the guilt in all that?”

“Because there’s still part of you that regrets it,” the reflection replied.

“I have no regrets,” Discord retorted, glancing at the kingdom below again.

“You’re lying.” This voice was different. It sounded young and innocent. It had an ounce of impish bravery inside it wrapped around a coat of wild-eyed fear. Discord saw a second mirror suddenly materialize next to the other one. In this mirror was the exact replica of himself…only he was younger. He looked like he did when he first came to Equestria. “Don’t lie,” said the small voice. “You feel bad for all the evil you’ve done here. Why’d you listen to Mom? She left us. Don’t you remember how sad you felt? This was your true home. Now look at it! You destroyed everything you loved.”

“Haha. Oh, how amusing. So, this is this other side that comes to battle me?” said the shadow reflection. “Surely you no longer believe the childish ideas like this any longer.”

“Of course not,” Discord replied, glaring at the smaller version of him. “That part of me is dead now.”

“No I’m not,” the voice yelled. “Wake up and stop listening to this darkness! It’s controlling you! Can’t you see it? Celestia never wanted all this to happen. You know that! She told you it was all because she didn’t want you to die again. And you love her! We’ve always loved her, haven’t we? She was the one ray of sunlight in our dark lives that made us whole again. And you threw her away!”

“We basked in the sun and were burned,” the dark image growled. “You know this. We were fools to ever believe her web of lies.”

“I know you’re hurt!” said the small voice. “But you miss her. You can’t ever be satisfied here without her. That’s why you’re not happy.”

Discord squeezed the glass with his claw until a crack started to appear on it. He looked down at it and clenched his teeth together hard. He could feel the bones in his jaw ache with the pressure. What kind of mind game was this? Miss her? Did he? Did he miss the way the sunlight or moonlight would dance off of her coat and reflect off her eyes that were always much, much deeper than the lake and a crisper violet than the flowers that grew next to the lake? Did he miss how in those quiet wintertime nights, how the snow would fall down just as white as she and when she stretched her wings out in bliss to catch the snowflakes on her tongue, he was convinced she truly came from Heaven because of how angelic she truly looked, but yet she had no idea? Did he miss the soft, silky caresses of her mane whenever she would embrace him and did he miss how she always smelled like roses? Did he miss her laugh, like the song of a thousand meadowlarks that would be the greatest joy in the world to hear?

Another question, how couldn’t he? She was his world. But that world was the past. And that world was a delusion. He was a lovesick fool, and now…he had pushed that all behind him. Things could never return to the way they were. He had woken up from his dream. This was his cold, entropic reality. It would be the sweetest misery. Delicious torture. A place so pleasing to him, but yet so grossly lacking. And he could never leave it. And it was self inflicted. And behind all his pride, he knew it. And as the tightening in his chest grew, so did his grip on the glass.

“Don’t let such fantastic ideas cloud your judgment!” said the dark reflection. “Forget about her. Forget about all of it. If you increase your power, you’ll become like me. And then…” The reflection changed to Chaos. “You’ll be better than him. We’ll rule the world.”

“No!” shouted the smaller Discord. “Stop it! Stop it! You can’t do this!”

“SHUT UP!” Discord shouted in fury. “GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” He threw the glass directly at the mirrors. As soon as he did, both figures were no longer there and only one mirror was on the wall. The glass torpedoed against it and the collision made the mirror glass explode all over the floor. Chocolate milk trickled down the wall and pooled onto the floor. Discord glared at the tiny, crystalline shards eyeing him from the floor. He gave a sigh and ignored the mess. Head beginning to pound and a sour taste still resting on his tongue, he chuckled slightly in only a way a madman truly could and then trudged out of the room.



____________________________________




The cave’s entrance looked bleaker, darker than it did before. Celestia felt as if her knees were about to give way from the ache and stabbing pain that continued to surge through them with every step closer. It wasn’t her own weight that caused her such a burden, that much was apparent to her, or would have been apparent to anypony else. It was only the dark, horrible, unfortunate events of her world that could’ve caused such misery in even the simple task of walking. She stretched out her wings in order to brace herself slightly. Luna walked up beside her and nudged her as she almost tripped over her own hooves. Celestia blinked in disorientation and sighed, pausing to glance at her younger sister.

“Are you okay? Tia?” Luna asked.

“I don’t know,” Celestia replied. “I think I’m just tired. Help me get to the cave, Luna. I’m…I’m dizzy.” Luna nodded and herded Celestia past the cave’s shadowy threshold. Celestia welcomed the shadows as they enveloped her snowy coat and softened her dilated eyes. The muscles in her face relaxed, lacking the strain the seemed to carry before out in the sunlight. The six crystalline, almost stone-like balls containing the great magic the two alicorn sisters now possessed were being distributed equally between the two, three each. However, now, Luna levitated the three from Celestia and placed them all in a safe place near the back of the cave. Relieved, Celestia lowered herself onto the stone floor and flattened her wings out, feeling every nerve and fiber in her body begin to pulse in gratitude. At least she could rest. It had been such an exhausting couple days now. Was it only a couple days? It felt like weeks at this point. For all she knew, it could’ve been. The strain had taken its toll. She sighed and felt little beads of sweat collect on her fur. Luna walked over to her, a look of concern on her visage. She planted a hoof on her forehead.

“I think you’re burning up, Tia,” she said sympathetically. “Rest a bit, okay?”

“Not long,” Celestia murmured drowsily. “We have to use those…Elements. The Chaos is spreading.”

“I know,” said Luna. “You feel it a lot more than I do. I don’t feel very well either, but for you…I can see how it’s a lot worse. Sleep, okay?”

“And hour. Make a clock on the wall to time it,” said Celestia quietly. Luna nodded. Celestia let her eyelids droop and immediately felt all the dizziness melt into a deep sleep that felt like an eternal sleep. In the numbing world of dreams, she felt herself encased in a prison so cold and stiff. She couldn’t move. Couldn’t even breath. Looking around, there was only darkness and the icy cold hard walls wrapped around her. She was encased in stone. She was the prisoner. And she could hear Discord. She could hear him laughing and taunting. She could hear the screams of her people and the destruction. And she wanted to scream out herself, but her voice made no sound. No sooner had see felt the true shock of all these terrors surge through her like the sharpest knife and tried to thrash, kick, speak, whisper…anything to escape her asylum, Luna was nudging her awake.

“Tia. It hasn’t quite been an hour yet, but you were dreaming and it must have been awful. You were shaking and…oh, you’re covered in sweat. Let me try to dry you off with a spell.” Luna lowered her blue, shining horn over her sister’s body and disseminated the beads of sweat into the air.

“It’s okay,” said Celestia standing up. She glanced at the cave wall that Luna had produced the clock mirage on it. She breathed deeply and shuttered in remembrance of the nightmare.

“Someday, Tia, I’ll learn how to use my powers to protect dreams like Father did,” said Luna sympathetically. Do you want to tell me about it?”

“No,” said Celestia shaking her head. “It’s over.” She struggled to her feet. “Come on. We have to go…” Celestia immediately felt the cave spin all around her.

“Sister, please,” said Luna. “Settle down. You are not prepared to handle the battle against this chaos yet! You can’t even stand up straight!”

“I’m fine, Luna,” Celestia insisted, clenching her teeth and pressing her hoof against her head. “Some dizziness and a migraine headache is not going to stop me from….from…. saving Eque….stria….”

“All right,” sighed Luna. “At least let me carry the Elements for you!” She made her horn glow and lifted the orbs up. Celestia interrupted it with her own levitation and swiped them from Luna’s grasp.

“No! I can do it myself! You don’t need to do anything for me, Luna. I’m fine!” Celestia arched her neck up high and began walking out of the cave, the Elements floating all around her. She could already feel pins and needles jabbing her legs as she began walking. Her head pulsed with a pain that riveted through her. It was a different kind of pain. A different kind of sickness. Her stomach twisted in unspeakable nausea. As her mind went into a fog, thoughts and memories began flashing and blurring before her. She thought about Discord.

She thought about meeting him for the first time on that cliff-side, kissing him for the first time on the balcony, seeing that look on his face…when she broke his heart into a million pieces, the look in his eyes and the hate in his voice when she was talking to him in the castle. Then, the only thing she could think about was talking with him in the castle. She recalled the moment when her anger surfaced in their conversation and she told him how he should have resisted the darkness. She felt a burning inside her chest. It was true wasn’t it? The fault wasn’t all hers. She wasn’t the only one to blame.

Why should she hold onto all these heavy burdens that continued to plague and torment her heart? He was vulnerable to all that darkness to begin with. But when he stayed with them in the castle, they taught him right from wrong. He knew better! He did! And he should have to pay for all that he did. The more she thought about this, she felt as if her pain was being somewhat alleviated. These bitter thoughts that would once just leave the worst taste in her mouth were now making her feel empowered. However, the burning in her chest grew as these feelings grew. And the gray hues of her coat and hair faded just a shade darker.




___________________________________




The Princess of the night, daughter of the moon, had no inkling as to what was bothering her sister, but as the two made their journey back to Canterlot, she noticed Celestia was beginning to appear more restless and disoriented. At one point, she was going the wrong way and Luna nudged her.

“This way, Tia,” she said pointing her hoof. Confused, Celestia shook her head and glanced over with her dead eyes. Her face looked even more pale and sick than it did before.

“Oh. I…I’ve got it, Luna…” she said sighing in frustration, walking the right way. She was momentarily distracted by a row of chocolate milk clouds that were floating ahead. Celestia paused and glared at them. She let flares of light shoot from her horn and shot the clouds with a look of resentment in her eyes. They regenerated immediately afterward. This seemed to egg her on, angering her even more. She continued to try and eliminate them. They continued to appear. Luna cocked her head in confusion.

“Tia……Tia………..Celestia,” Luna said firmly. “They’ll just come back! Cut it out!” Celestia ignored her altogether, like she didn’t even hear her or understand and stamped her hoof defiantly on the earth, leaving a crack in the ground. She shot a huge blast at the clouds, knocking a section of rock off the side of the mountain. The rocks tumbled down the cliff-side, splitting into smaller rocks as they broke apart. They collapsed down in their direction, almost hitting Luna. “Ah! TIA!” Luna shouted angrily, levitating the rocks up over her head and tossing them to the side. Several smaller pebbles hit her on the shoulder and bounced off her cheek. She winced and felt the spot, already feeling it beginning to bruise. “What is wrong with you?!” she shouted at Celestia.

“Forgive me for trying to exterminate the chaos that’s plaguing our path!” Celestia shouted back.

“Well, throwing a tantrum when it doesn’t work is the PERFECT way to do that,” said Luna rolling her eyes.

“I didn’t see you coming up with any better ideas,” replied Celestia, scoffing. Luna narrowed her eyes.

“Somepony’s feeling better…” she muttered. Then she sighed. “Look. We just need to get to Canterlot. We’ll deal with the Chaos when we fight Discord, right?

“I suppose,” said Celestia, her face muscles tensing. “Just like you to want to appear smarter than I…as usual.”

“What?” said Luna raising an eyebrow. “That’s not…”

“Whatever. Let’s go,” said Celestia turning gruffly. Luna blinked in sheer confusion. Why was Celestia acting this way? Yes, she was under a lot of stress, but why was she taking it out on her? Perhaps after they defeated Discord, it would all go away. After all, Luna knew she could never imagine the pain her sister had been feeling these past days. She decided to change the subject. Perhaps talking more about the elements would change things. After all, Luna had been wrestling with something the stars talked about.

“Celestia, I was thinking. Remember how the stars said that if Discord refuses redemption from the Elements of Harmony, he’ll be turned to stone for a thousand years?”

“Yes.”

“Well…I was thinking about that. I don’t think they told us everything about that,” said Luna. “I think that part is only true if we just…defeat him. I feel like the Elements are connected to us. To our hearts. I feel them. I feel their magic reaching the magic inside me. I feel like when we use them, it’s more than just using a spell…it’s deeper. It’s something great. I can’t quite explain it, but I think…we almost have to will it to trap the chaos forever. I think if we truly unlock this potential…find this power within ourselves to defeat the disharmony, then it will keep a seal that won’t break! I think that’s what we have to do. But…Tia, I wanted to know how you feel about this. I wanted to avoid telling you, because I know how hard it is for you to even think of Dis trapped for a thousand years, let alone forever.”

“I doesn’t matter anymore, Luna,” Celestia replied quietly.

“What do you mean, ‘it doesn’t matter’?!” said Luna, stunned. “What if…what if we might be able to actually turn him back? Redeem him!”

“NO, Luna!” said Celestia sharply, whirling around. “No. There’s no redemption. There’s no second chances. There is no hope of him ever coming back to us. Don’t you understand?! If not, get it through your head…right now. The Discord we once knew is dead and he has been replaced by a sick, twisted, evil madman that is the face of evil and deserves this fate! We will trap him in that prison forever. We will use that power. We’ll find a way so that he never ruins our kingdom ever again. He’ll pay for all his crimes. He’ll pay for the pain he’s putting me through. I’ll never forgive him for this. Ever. I will destroy him and everything he lives and breathes for. The epitome of evil. The son of true darkness. The face of Chaos himself!” Luna’s eyes grew wide and her mouth fell open.

“Tia…” she whispered. “Do…do you even hear yourself? What did he do to you? Something is not right. You’re different.”

“Stop that,” said Celestia glaring at her. “You overanalyze everything, including me. I’m the older one, Luna. I should be making the decisions and not being criticized for what I do and how I act…by my little sister!”

“Tia,” said Luna, feeling her heart deflating. “I’m just trying to help…”

“Well, stop helping!” said Celestia gruffly, turning away. Luna stood in one place, frozen in shock, and in a newfound fear she had developing inside her. For the first time in her life, she was actually afraid of her sister. Perhaps she couldn’t even see it, but something was happening to the Princess of the sun. Something dark. Luna shivered. She could feel it in the air. It wasn’t right. Something like this just didn’t happen. Not to Celestia. Not to one who ruled the bright side of day. Luna always knew from her father that she and him were more vulnerable to dark thoughts and feelings, and could easily be turned into something evil. However, the sun, the daytime, so bright, so pure always…how could it be? How could a shadow touch her perfect sister or mother? They had no temptations of darkness. No inklings of shadowy thoughts creeping into the depths of their porcelain white hearts. Always, she thought of her sister and the errors that never were…the flawless good that she herself could never obtain, that only fed the dark monster of jealousy inside her.

But now, as she stood here, watching this apparition float away from her, deadened to the world, to anything she held onto so dearly once before, Luna could feel her heart breaking for her. The one time her sister was falling through the cracks and slipping away into a gray existence of hate and distrust, and overcome with a wild anger that surpassed any burning flame…the one time she actually wasn’t the snow white angel that could do no wrong, Luna felt absolutely heartbroken. In the midst of this revelation, she thought her reaction would have been some slight relief, perhaps a devilish sense of glee that her sister would become darkened and so hard-hearted. However, amidst the chaos that was riveting their world, and destroying their lives, she knew all too well, such feelings could never bubble to the surface at such a time. Canterlot was now in sight. Luna hadn’t even noticed she’d found the strength to continue walking. Celestia paused, glancing at the horrific city for a brief moment. By the look on her face, Luna almost thought Celestia could see Discord a ways off. Luna didn’t dare say a word. Her sister looked as if she were going to fire all her magic at the next thing that spoke to her.

Still distraught, Luna glanced up with a heavy heart into her sister’s blank face, trying to grasp an explanation for how she could become like this, Luna could only see her eyes shifting in color from a violet to a burning yellowish orange with some hues of magenta and red lingering on the outer rims of the irises. Her wide dark pupils shrunk to the smallest, blackest ovals. It was over. Celestia was changing before Luna’s sight. Those eyes were the most burning, fierce, hateful eyes Luna could ever have pictured. She didn’t look at them for too long. She kept her gaze on the ground, her heart in pieces, her stomach in knots. This couldn’t be happening. It was too surreal. It was a nightmare that would go away. It had to. Discord was gone. Celestia couldn’t just go either. It couldn’t be. She wouldn’t let it be. The elements had to fix everything. They had to. She couldn’t watch her sister stay this way. It frightened her down to her very core. She kept thinking to herself, as they walked into the city, everything would be fixed now. Everything would get better. Celestia had to snap out of it. They had to do this. Had to.

“Discord!” Celestia shouted in a voice that made Luna jump. The two walked into the town square. Luna’s legs wobbled as they walked on a slippery path made out of something pink and slimy. She looked down to examine the road when she almost fell.

“Watermelon?” she said cocking her head. She hadn’t seen Canterlot before now that Discord had taken over, but she certainly didn’t like what she saw. Watermelon roads that couldn’t even be walked on properly without tripping, a cloudy sky that constantly rained chocolate milk, grass that changed color, a lake filled with pudding, houses that defied gravity, buildings made out of food like cookies and other confections, and a mice, rabbits and other creatures that were now ten feet tall with their giant stilt-like legs. Luna looked up at a giant house of cards that was towering above her. A row of giant dominos was falling over and one almost fell on top of her. She shrieked and half ran half slid out of the way, collapsing onto the watermelon road and knocking Celestia over. As the two slid, a row of bowling pins mysteriously appeared in their path. They knocked the pins over at break-neck speed, causing them to fly in every direction. Luna saw stars and struggled to her feet, also helping her disoriented sister up. Immediately, they heard laughing. In a flash of light, Discord appeared right in front of them with a giant throne.

“That was hilarious!” he said wiping away a tear. “I wondered when you’d both show up so I could do that!”

“Discord!” said Celestia, jumping up, glaring at him, but then sliding back down again onto the watermelon ground. Discord laughed hard at her.

“Not so intimidating when you’re out of your element are we now?” he said smirking.

“SHUT UP!” she replied making her horn and eyes glow. She leaked a burst of electricity onto the ground, completely demolishing the watermelon around them. She and Luna stood up. Discord rolled his eyes.

“Fine then,” he said. “I suppose you’ve come here to act upon the silly notion of defeating me…”

“We most certainly have,” said Celestia grimily. “We have a power of our own now.”

“A power the stars gave us,” Luna added. “The Elements of Harmony. They’ll contain your chaos. And trap you in stone…”

“Oh, really, now? Is that what you think? Well, nopony’s stopping you. Go on if you think a few sparkles are going to destroy the power of chaos,” said Discord yawning. “But ummm….you might want to hurry it up now. You see, I never got to make soap roads to go along with the watermelon roads…oh, yes…and I would like to make pigs fly. I never got to do that. Oh, and I have this other idea called ‘popcorn’…”

“Oh, just stop it! Stop it right now!” said Celestia angrily. “If you doubt that we will have the power to defeat you, then you are sadly mistaken! You may have been right when you said I couldn’t kill you. But let me tell you something right now, Discord. When we trap you in stone forever and ever and ever…your heart will beat, your lungs will breath, and you will think, but it will all feel like a never-ending dream, and you will grow stiff, and you may even see the outside world….and I hope you do, so you can see everything you’ll never have. And when you can’t even move, or speak, or whisper a single word to anypony…you will be begging for the open gates of Tartarus and there you would feel like it was so much more gracious a punishment than what we’re going to do to you.” Luna felt her chest tighten. She watched Celestia’s eyes flare in a fury that could never be described. In that very moment, Luna could only think of would word to describe what was happening to her sister-eclipse. Celestia, the sun, the day, the bright one, was being shadowed by darkness. She was undergoing a solar eclipse. It was all too real now.


“Oh, ho-ho! So! It would seem you’ve finally snapped, hm?” said Discord grinning. “I didn’t think it would be that easy! Careful Celestia, you’re dark side’s showing.” Celestia glared at him.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she said gruffly. “But I will tell you this, you are responsible for everything that has happened here and I’ll never forgive you.”

“Mmhm. Go ahead. Blame it on the draconequus. Tell me, Celestia, you seem to have such a strong anger, even a hatred in your eyes right now as you look at me…I have to admit…it’s quite attractive on you. I think…that you’ve always hid it deep down. Think back, will you? Back on that cliff-side. Poor, little draconequus, lost, alone. You can’t tell me you didn’t sense my flame of darkness and despised it from the start. You let me believe your love. Perhaps you even believed it. True love though? I think not. Now that I’m…going to be trapped in stone for the better part of eternity, why don’t we confess some things? Hm? Why not fess up the truth to your dear friend, Discord? How do you really feel?”

“You want to know how I feel? You…” Celestia’s eyes flared again and she gave a smirk that showcased such darkness and such hate, Luna couldn’t bare it. She thought she’d faint in this very moment. How could she bare this any longer? Her sister was going mad! “Fine. I’ll tell you the truth, Discord.” Celestia approached him and held her head close to him, her lips curling in sheer anger and a fire of hate and vengeance burning through the yellowish-orange ring in her eyes, surrounding that black center, looking so much like an eclipsed sun now more than ever. “I never loved you. I pitied you.” Luna’s jaw dropped and her heart plummeted. Her whole body deflated and she shook her head in disbelief. Her eyes welled up in sheer confusion, fear, everything.

“Well, now,” said Discord quietly, nodding. “Now the truth comes out. I thought it would.” Luna looked up at him, seeing behind his smirking face, that his eyes softened and looked as if they almost welled up with the stab directly to the heart Celestia had just given him. Behind all that evil, it was apparent to her, her sister was wrong. Their Discord was still there somewhere. And he needed them now more than ever. There was so much pain there behind that smiling face. So much heartbreak.

“No!” she shouted stepping forward. Celestia turned her head, glaring at her. “Don’t listen to her, Discord! It’s not true! She doesn’t know what she’s saying! Tia…this chaos has affected you! It’s turning you into someone else just like it did to Discord. You can’t see it, but I can!”

“Shut up, Luna!” said Celestia glaring at her. “You don’t know anything! You’ve always been the weak link in this family!” Luna gasped and her eyes grew wide. She felt her whole body go numb. Celestia made her horn glow and pushed Luna to the side. Luna felt her body jerk sideways. She fell onto the ground and broke down, tears pouring from her eyes. She wrapped her muzzle in her hooves and felt a cold sensation creep over her body. Her purple coat faded into a sad blue-gray, leaving her feeling hopeless and distraught. “It’s time to end this now,” said Celestia firmly.

“Very well,” said Discord sighing. “Go on and fire when you’re good and ready, though I don’t see how it will matter.”

“We will,” said Celestia, levitating the Elements high above her head. “Luna! Get up!” Luna jumped when she shouted her name. She got to her feet and miserably dragged herself over to her glaring, bully of a sister, just wishing it was already over. She channeled all her energy into her horn and watched as Celestia made her horn and eyes glow bright. Her sister’s mane seemed to light ablaze as the elements glowed all around them. Luna noticed that they were both floating off the ground, without the use of their wings. The orbs shined bright and began swirling around them in array of colors. She could see Discord sitting lazily before them, yawning, not at all fazed by the scene before him. Luna stretched out her wings and felt the magic from the orbs riveting through her veins. She felt like the power was about to reach its peak, but just as it was about to and potentially trap all the chaos within it, something happened. Luna felt a jolt and saw Celestia react violently to the sudden rift. There was a bright flash and Luna and Celestia dropped onto the ground with a sudden thrust from the magic in the air. The Elements dropped all around them as well, rolling away in all directions.

“What? What happened?” said Luna in confusion. She struggled to her feet.

“It…it didn’t work,” said Celestia in shock. “I…I can’t believe it. It…didn’t work.”

“Oh, isn’t that just SUCH a shame,” said Discord smirking. “I didn’t expect that to happen…AT ALL.”

“This can’t be happening,” said Celestia shaking her head. “Luna!” she shouted. “Did you try your hardest? Promise me you did. There was something wrong with our magic…and if you didn’t absolutely do your best then I’ll know you messed it up, just like everything else!”

“It’s not me, Tia!” Luna pleaded, her eyes welling and throat closing up. “Stop that, please! I think something’s wrong with our magic…because of you…”

“What?!” Celestia shouted, her eyes flaring again.

“Please, Tia!” Luna begged. “Listen to me. You have to fight this. It’s taken you over like a disease and it’s made you dark and hateful. This isn’t the way to fight chaos. That’s why it didn’t work. Ignore all the lies, greed, and hate. Stay loyal and honest and true to who you are just like the what the Elements represent. You have to resist the darkness. I have to wake you up from this now, Tia. You’re stronger than this. You are. I know you and I know what my big sister is capable of. And I also know that have always loved Discord. You two are meant to be. So, fight for harmony and fight for love now! You can’t use the Elements out of hatred for him, but out of the things inside your heart that want him to be redeemed…that want our kingdom to be saved! There will always be that hope. I see it.” In this moment, Luna felt everything inside her grow strong and her original color returned in a flash of light. She looked directly into her sister’s eyes. She could see Celestia’s face soften slightly. Her eyes were not quite as a fierce shade as they had been. She looked at the ground in confusion.

“I….I…Luna. I don’t know…I…” said Celestia shaking her head. She put her hoof to her head and closed her eyes.




_____________________________




Could it be true? What was happening? Luna was standing before her, so sure, so adamant as to what was really happening. Was it true? She couldn’t even be sure of anything anymore, not even what was happening in front of her. Celestia felt like the world was spinning all around her. What was real? What wasn’t real? Was the anger she felt the true feelings or was it just clouding her judgment? Did the love never truly exist or did it but it was now being shadowed by all this hate? It was so confusing. It couldn’t come together in her mind. She couldn’t think. There was only pressure and pain inside her head, blocking any thoughts and any sense. Any…sanity, if there was any left. All of a sudden, in that minute, she heard a voice that broke her confusion. Her ears twitched and she opened her eyes in sudden revelation as to who the voice belonged to.

“Tia. My Tia…”

“Mother,” she whispered, her eyes growing wide. She could feel all her emotions pooling to the surface.

“Tia, dear. I only have a moment. I managed to send you this telepathic message. It’s hard to do it whereas we’re so far way now. The gods new there was something awful happening down below. They let me do this to help you. Tia, I know how much all this has hurt you. I know you feel betrayed and feel as if things can never return to normal. Your father and I wish so much we could be there for you and Luna in this time. Just know that there will always be a hope for change and that no one is too lost or too dark inside that they can’t be brought back into the light and made good again. Whatever you’re feeling now isn’t real. Find the truth that’s locked inside you. Find it with the elements now, Tia. Only with the Elements of Harmony with the power inside them and what they represent can change everything. Remember what they stand for, what you believe in and you’ll find yourself again, my Tia. Never forget these words: love, is the most powerful form of magic and the most powerful form of friendship. And friendship isn’t easy…but it’s worth fighting for.”

Her mother’s voice faded and Celestia’s eyes overflowed with tears as a big flood of beautiful memories entered her mind. Everything bad, everything that caused her pain left her mind now. She could only think of the good. The laughter, the simple times, the talks at the lake, the sweetest things that could never fade. And…the most beautiful memory of them all: that one day in the courtyard when they all three danced in the chocolate rain. Celestia felt life and love…everything returning to her, bringing the color back to her hair and eyes, Everything became clear at this very moment and the revelations opened her eyes anew to the world.

“Luna,” she said smiling. “I understand now. I heard mother’s voice. She spoke to me and I had to remember all the things…but…I broke that hold it had on me. It was so strong. I…I…it was like I couldn’t control my anger, my hate. But I’m back now. Luna…I’m so sorry.” Luna smiled in sheer joy. Tears filled her eyes and she embraced her sister.

“Tia. It’s okay. I know you didn’t mean any of it. I knew you’d break it! I just knew you were stronger than it was!”

“The Elements…” said Celestia. “I understand all of it now.” The joy of the moment was so great, it could not be comprehended.

“AHEM. Uh, hello? Yes, uh…I hate to interrupt. I’m sorry, but I unfortunately didn’t bring my violin for this touching little harps, sparkles, and rainbows sister reunion moment,” said Discord scowling.

Celestia sighed calmly and took a few steps forward. She paused momentarily and glanced up into the draconequus’s eyes. In these first moments of standing still, looking at him, she didn’t even know what to say. Not after everything. Her heart pounding in her chest as her thoughts swam in her mind, Celestia shifted her jaw and slowly opened her mouth to speak. In these last moments, perhaps the last moments that she would ever have to speak with him, she had to find the right words. Her own words. Not the words from the her that was shrouded in the darkness. And at last, after waiting a few seconds, she found them. She knew exactly what to say.





TO BE CONTINUED…





Continued Author’s Note:

With that, this story should not be too much longer. I can’t tell you guys for sure how many chapters are left. I can estimate 5 at the most. But I didn’t expect that one to be as long as that so it’s probably safe to say it’ll be less. I’ll probably make the next one a bit shorter to not make you guys’s eyes so raw. Lol. ;)
Thanks for sticking with me so long, guys! What I thought…was a dumb idea when I started this, actually ended up being fun to write and I was so surprised at how awesome everybody has been. I’ve gotten so many compliments and…it just blows my mind. Thanks for helping me see this through. I feel so proud now that it’s getting down to the wire. :) If I don’t get in another update by Christmas (or the end of the world ;D LOL) have a Merry Christmas/Happy Hearth’s Warming Eve, everypony! Haha! :D




And also…on a more solemn note—this is certainly not an easy thing to talk or think about. But I give my respects, condolences, prayers, everything I can to the families of the victims of the Connecticut shooting on Friday, December 14, 2012. Please do the same. ~R.I.P~