• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,032 Views, 21 Comments

Light of the Moon - Aligon



Twilight Sparkle has been a princess for over a month now. She has been studing everything she'ld have to know about being a ruler. But will her books help her with the unexpected news from Luna?

  • ...
8
 21
 2,032

Chapter 3: Breakfast and Flying

Author's Note:

When you see a name inside these (.....) then that pony or zaldia or dragon is speaking. So you don't get confused. If you don't get confused, you get a virtual hug by your favorite pony.

"You're not Twilight."

"No he's not."

The fillies looked up seeing the purple mare smiling down at them. Immediately they jumped at her and squeezed her tightly. Applejack came running out to them.

"Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle. You know better than to run out like that," she scolded.

"It's alright ma'am. They didn't hurt me at all."

That wasn't entirely true. He sprained his wing a little, but hey, he's in front of mares. Twilight got free of the fillies and helped her guard up. He, of course, said he was alright, but struggling like a turtle on its back.

Once he was up, they entered the dining hall where the other mares jumped to Twilight. Starlight stood to the side so the group could tackle her. 'Not this time.' He thought.

When she was done Cadence came over and they began their childhood greeting.

"Sunshine, sunshine
Ladybugs awake
Clap your hooves
And do a little shake!"

Starlight couldn't help, but smile at them. Pinkie Pie appeared right next to him.

"Soooo, I'm Pinkie Pie. I never seen a guard like you. Except when Princess Luna came Ponyville in a cool chariot pulled by bat ponies. She was like 'Rawr!' But then she was like 'Huzzah!' And-"

"Pinkie Pie please don't harass my guard," Luna said.

After some more chatting they went to their seats. Starlight sat next to Twilight and Fang Fury appeared and sat next to Luna. A golden armored guard sat by Celestia and a crystal guard sat next to Cadence.

It wasn't every day that all for alicorns were in one place, so the royal chefs made this breakfast extra special. They made croissants of all flavors, pancakes, muffins, fruit salads, waffles, scones, cookies, and a whole lot more.

The group sitting at the table made some requests, one was to bake a triple layered chocolate/strawberry cake. While they were eating, Twilight's friends pestered the alicorn where she was.

"So Twilight, who's this guy?" (Rainbow Dash)

"He is my personal guard. One of the Zaldia Knights." (Twilight)

"What's a zaldia?" (Pinkie)

"A pony who is part bat." (Starlight)

"Where were you last night?" (Spike)

"I was in my new room in the Noctis Wing. My studies were moved there." (Twilight)

"Do you like cake?" (Pinkie)

"Yes, I like cake." (Starlight)

"Do you think he would look good in a suit?" (Rarity)

"A suit?" (Starlight)

"Yes, your wings are giving me so many ideas! Are there any mares in the Knights?" (Rarity)

"Yeah." (Starlight)

"The dresses would be deep blue, silver lining, maybe some green. Yes! Idea!" (Rarity)

The pristine unicorn bolted from the room at sonic speed. Everypony, but Starlight was acting as nothing had happened.

"She just ran off like her tail was on fire." (Starlight)

"That's what Rarity does, find inspiration then run off before it gets away." (Applejack)

"But-" (Starlight)

"Don't question it. I have to live with it." (Sweetie Belle)

Starlight was going to respond, but a chef placed his food down and stared at him.

"Excuse me, sir, but we had difficulty with your food. Head Chef, Strawberry Cake, is not familiar with it. So he needs your opinion on this." (Chef)

Starlight gave a small nod and took a bite of the green and blue swirl on his plate. Nopony knew what it was, but to them it did not look edible.

Starlight turned to Twilight and stuck out a spoon of the goop. Twilight took it in her magic and politely tasted it. Fang gave a quick glare to Starlight.

"Cinnamon, chocolate, marzipan, caramel, strawberries, apples, bananas, marshmallows, icing, and taffy." (Twilight)

Starlight gave a small nod and turned to the chef.

"Mister Cake didn't do to bad, though icing was a bit much. Next time put in some amber pieces, they really spice it up. Thanks Twilight." (Starlight)

The chef nodded and trotted off to the kitchen to an angry looking unicorn at the door. The rest of the group knew well that Twilight could name off what ingredients were in any food. So could Pinkie.

"Oooo, Can I get some?" (Pinkie)

"Wait, you eat gems?" (Spike)

"Yep. It's one of the many perks of being a Zaldia Knight." (Starlight)

"How?" (Twilight)

"We have stronger, sharper teeth than regular ponies. Kinda like a dragon." (Starlight)

"So, it's like you're part dragon too?" (Spike)

"Well in a way, but only my teeth." (Starlight)

The rest of breakfast went along just fine, until Cadence spoke up.

"Twilight, why are you in the Noctis Wing?" (Cadence)

"My studies were moved there." (Twilight)

"But why?" (Cadence)

"Yeah, Twilight." (Rainbow Dash)

"Come on sugar-cube, we wanna know." (Applejack)

Their eyes stared at Twilight awaiting her answer. The purple mare looked to Luna who seemed angry, but not at her. She, Twilight, turned to Celestia who, in her case, was losing her regal look. She didn't tell Cadence the big news yet.

"Twilight told me she was studying the books Celestia gave her when Luna came in her room telling her that she would now study in the Noctis Wing. A new level in her studies." (Starlight)

"A new level?" (Spike)

"Yes, she's going to now study the work of Princess Luna and read the books Celestia gave her." (Starlight)

This answer seemed to satisfy the group and Celestia breathed a small sigh of relief. After breakfast Twilight and Starlight went to the park while her friends trotted around Canterlot.

Starlight was sitting by the window reading a book Twilight gave him, Armor through History. Twilight was sitting at a small desk in the center of the Noctis Library.

The pair sat in silence for quite some time for the first few hours, but Starlight was growing restless. Like every other winged creature, he needed to fly!

"Twilight?"

"Yes, Starlight?"

She didn't look up from the book she was reading, so instead Starlight made a slight breeze with his wings. This made the pages of Twilight's book flip around.

"Hey! I was reading that!"

Starlight gave a toothy grin and flapped his wings harder. This time Twilight's mane was being blown around.

"Princess, can we go outside? We've been locked in here for hours."

"Fine, but you have to let me try a spell on you."

"Deal!"

The pair stretched their legs and wings and were about to leave when two zaldia bats entered the room. The mare was staring at Starlight with her green cat eyes. The white stallion tried to avoid the gaze of the princess.

"Hello." (Twilight)

"Good day, Princess." (mare)

"Is there anything that you need?" (Twilight)

"Yes, Princess Luna told us to deliver this letter to you." (mare)

Twilight took the letter in her magic, then took a second look at the stallion. He didn't have wings, instead he had a black horn on his head that split into two at the tip.

This was very peculiar to Twilight, she could handle seeing a bat-winged pony, but a pony with a changeling-like horn? Too crazy.

"Excuse me, sir? But what's with your horn? I thought Luna only had zaldia bats in her guard." (Twilight)

The stallion didn't speak he quickly covered his head with the mare's wing.

"Night Tale, the princess under Princess Luna's wing is asking you a question." (mare)

Night Tale lifted his head from under her wing and sighed.

"I am a zaldia fang. I am the Lunar version of a unicorn." (Night)

"Interesting, Starlight can you get my book?" (Twilight)

The zaldia nodded and retrieved the book from the desk.

"Species of Many?" (Starlight)

"That's the one." (Twilight)

"Princess, the letter is all we were here for. We will now take our leave."

The pair bowed and exited the library backwards, somehow fitting through the door. Twilight packed away the book in her saddlebags and they left for the park.

On their way to the park, the pair received many looks. Most ponies bowed as Princess Twilight passed by, but then spotted the guard with her. Nopony knew what he was or why the princess would be around him. He looked hideous! But as any good zaldia, he was used to this and ignored their eyes.

The two took a spot by a bench so Twilight could read while Starlight could hover nearby. But something was itching the bat-winged pegasus.

"Twilight?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't we fly here? You obviously did not like the attention from those rich, stuck-up ponies."

"Well......"

Twilight sat there, head blushing so much, she hide her face in the book.

"I can't fly..."

"What?"

"I can't fly..."

"I can't hear you."

Sighing she pulled her head up and looked at the bat.

"I can't fly."

She sat there waiting for him to laugh at her. A princess who can't fly! Ridiculous!

"Is that all?"

"What?"

"It's no big deal. You think I was born with these wings? I received them from Princess Luna when I became a member of her guard. You should have seen Night Tale trying to use his horn after that!"

The zaldia bat chuckled and the purple alicorn followed. At least there was one less pony who wouldn't laugh at her. But then the zaldia wasn't finished.

"I could teach you if you want."

Twilight stared at the stallion.

"You know what, bad idea. forget I said anything."

"No, no, it's all right. I need to learn."

The pair were in the air a few moments later. Twilight was tied to Starlight by a rope and trying to control her wings. Starlight pulled the alicorn from one cloud to another, allowing her to practice flight basics.

"Bad idea." (Twilight)

The weather pegasi passed by the pair pulling along a couple of storm clouds to lock away. But one cloud let loose a large lightning bolt at the princess. Causing her to jump straight to the nearest hooves. Which was Starlight's.

The mare pulling the cloud apologized and flew away, leaving the two to their own awkwardness. Twilight didn't like the thought of flying anymore, but feeling Starlight's hooves wrap around her made her feel safe enough to try again. Starlight took the chance to untie the rope.

"Hey Twilight, why don't you try being leader. You can pull me over to the cloud."

He gestured to a vacant cloud at least four feet above them. Twilight gave a silent nod and took of for the cloud at a gentle pace. Starlight watched her climb higher in the sky and touch-down on the cloud. He decided he should get up there before she noticed.

"That was a mean trick."

"At least you flew on your own. Imagine it, Princess Twilight Sparkle, the alicorn pulled by a bat-winged pony."

She gave him a punch in the elbow. But the two laughed anyways. Then as the sun placed itself for noon, the pair were lying side-by-side chatting.

"So Pinkie Pie thought you guys forgot her? And forgot the whole spy and sadness thing in a second? That is the most optimistic pony I have ever heard of."

"'That's what I think!"

The two laughed for some time, then Twilight lied her head on his shoulder. It wasn't unpleasant, but this startled the bat. He smiled, then he turned to his flying buddy.

"Hey Twilight."

"Yeah?"

"There is something that I want to tell you."

"Yeah?"

"Well I-"

A green swirl of smoke appeared in front of of his nose. It made a popping sound and a scroll sealed by a golden hoof print fell onto the cloud. Twilight immediately lifted her head and picked up the scroll. She gave it a once over and turned to her guard.

"My friends want to meet us at Minnie's Munchies for lunch."

"Well we shouldn't leave them waiting."

"No, we shouldn't."

"Can we fly there? I know the way."

"Why not."