• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,026 Views, 21 Comments

Light of the Moon - Aligon



Twilight Sparkle has been a princess for over a month now. She has been studing everything she'ld have to know about being a ruler. But will her books help her with the unexpected news from Luna?

  • ...
8
 21
 2,026

Chapter 5: Meal with Friends and a Party To Attend

Minnie's Munchies was a local snack shop that catered to everypony that had an empty stomach and a full wallet. The owner was Daisy Chain, earth mare and the great-great-great-great granddaughter of Minnie Munch. Once you went in you came out with a full tummy.

One of her waiters, a green pegasus, was currently serving the group of friends who finished a long morning of shopping. But got distracted by a very cute rainbow mane.

"Rainbow Dash? Is that you?" (green pony)

"Yeah. I see you heard of me."

"Well yeah. We went to Junior Speedsters flight camp together, remember? I was the one giving you rotten eggs to throw at Billy and Hoops."

"Oh yeah! Thanks for that....?"

"Gale Gust."

"Great seeing ya' again, Gusty."

Rainbow Dash turned her head away from the old friend and Gale turned away to get back to a angry looking Daisy. Rainbow then ran a memory through her head and an old feeling came back to her.

"Oh hey, Gusty!"

The green stallion turned his head, his yellow frazzled mane flowing.

"Yeah?"

"Uh.....don't forget my hay fries! And tomorrow we gotta catch up!"

"Sure thing Dashy"

Gale turned back to Daisy who was bright red in anger. He immediately ducked for the kitchen where a unicorn mare pulled him inside. The group stared at Daisy until she went back to the counter. Daisy was thinking that Dash should pay extra for her hay fries.

"That was nice seeing Gale again."

"Yeah."

"Rainbow you never told us you had a coltfriend." (Rarity)

"What! No he's not....we're not......Ugh!" (Rainbow)

"You like him! You like him!" (Pinkie)

"Cut it out! He was a silly filly crush. I'm over it." (Rainbow)

"Then why did ya' say get together instead of hang out?" (Applejack)

The prism maned pegasus was about to shout again when Pinkie Pie ran straight at the door and high speeds even she couldn't go. And that's saying something.


Twilight and Starlight were just about take off when she remember their deal.

"Hey wait! I get to cast a spell on you."

"Come on, Princess. I'm hungry."

"Well you have to wait until I'm done. Now stand still."

The grey zaldia obliged, but was also muttering something under his breath. Twilight took stance on the fluffy cloud they slept on. Her horn flared in a magenta glow and the same glow formed around Starlight's torso.

"Uh, Twilight?"

"Sh. I need concentration."

Her spell began opening his wings and they glowed a bright white.

"Twilight?"

"Sh."

After a pop, Starlight was lying on his stomach panting for breath.

"Twilight."

The purple alicorn looked up and smiled at her work.

"Yes, Starlight?"

"What did you do?"

"Look for yourself."

The zaldia turned and his fanged mouth dropped. His bat wings were now covered in grey feathers. He turned to Twilight who was still proudly smiling.

"You....you gave me pegasi wings!"

"Well, yes. After the incident with Iron Flame, I think it's best to keep your wings hidden. Don't worry about it though. It's not permanent. It will wear off once the moon rises, kinda fitting don't you think?"

"This is a better try than Swift Hex. She nearly took off a dozen wings off the guards in an experiment."

"Maybe I can help her improve."

"Can we go now, Princess Twilight?"

"Alright, but don't spook Fluttershy again. She nearly fainted from seeing your fangs."

The pair took flight and glided to the small, family owned cafe and landed by the door. Twilight reached for the handle, but was pushed away when a pink blur crashed straight into both of them. The force sent them flying into three nobles.

"Well I say!" (mare noble)

"Excuse me ma'am, but you are on top of my treats." (stallion noble 1)

"You watch were your going or I'm going to-" (stallion 2)

The three pulled themselves up and stared at Twilight who was pulling a Pinkie Pie off her back. Starlight grabbed and pulled her off, but was soon caught by her hug trap.

"I'm sorry for my friend. She gets over-excited when not near all her friends at once." (Twilight)

"No need to apologize, dear Princess." (stallion noble 2)

"Quite right. We did not know it was you." (mare noble)

"Are you by any chance able to have a nice dinner with me?" (stallion noble 1)

The other two nobles looked at the cream unicorn stallion. Twilight shook her head politely and said no thank you. The stallion frowned a bit, but regained his fake smile. The second stallion decided not to ask the same question. The mare, however, stepped forward and smiled.

"You know, Princess. I am having a nice get together on my yacht this afternoon. I would thankful for you to attend."

Twilight looked to Starlight who was being crushed by the Pinkie hug trap. Then back to the unicorn mare smiling and staring with a hopeful look.

"I guess it will be alright, but my guard will be attending as well. most are pegasi and will patrol the skies around the yacht."

"Of course, Princess. Oh and my name is Scarlet Quill, by the way."

"A pleasure to meet you."

The unicorn mare ushered the stallions to move along and not gawk at the youngest princess. Twilight called off Pinkie Pie and they went inside where the others were receiving their food. Pinkie sat next to Fluttershy holding a rope which was going upwards instead of down.

"Fluttershy what's that?"

The yellow pegasus quickly looked to Rarity who had a small cloaking shield overhead. She in turn looked at Rainbow Dash who was chowing down on her hay fries which the owner made her pay for. She looked up seeing eveypony staring at her.

"What?"

"Twilight wants to know what the rope is for." (Rarity)

Rainbow looked at Twilight who raised an eyebrow at her. Starlight was too busy preening his new feathered wings. She swallowed and tried to play it cool.

"It's a surprise for later. I don't mean to brag or anything, but you are gonna be blown away by it!"

"Is it another tornado?"

"No."

"Then I can't wait to see it when you are ready to give it to me."

Twilight sat down next to Rarity and Starlight sat next to Twilight and eyed the area above them. Daisy Chain took immediate notice of the princess and trotted up to the group.

"Hello, Princess, it is a great honor to have you here. May I help you?"

"I would like this please, if you don't mind trying it."

Twilight held out a small slip of paper with a recipe for zaldia pudding. Daisy looked at the list of ingredients and smiled up at the alicorn.

"It would be a honor to cook for you."

She bowed and trotted backwards into the kitchen. Rainbow glared in her general direction. The group began to catch up while eating their lunches. Twilight tried to get Starlight to join, but it was impossible to get him to not stare at the ceiling.

"Starlight would you please eat."

"I'm sorry, princess. When a mysterious object is above, I can't ignore it until it is deemed safe."

"Back to princess again. You can call me Twilight."

Starlight looked at her and was about to say something when the earth brown mare returned with Twilight's food.

"Here you are, princess. Will there be anything else?"

"To be left alone." (Rainbow)

"Actually, yes. We would like to not be disturbed, if possible." (Twilight)

"Of course, your majesty." (Daisy)

She backed away, again bowing, and Starlight stared at her. She looked up and saw the cat-like eyes of Starlight and bowed lower. Starlight smiled at her, showing his fangs. She took cover behind the counter.

The group talked for a while and enjoyed the company of their food. Twilight snacked on the pudding specially made for night dwellers. Starlight said that if she was Princess Luna's student now, she better get used to the customs of the zaldia.

For about an hour they talked and talked. While they talked they had another round of food. Except for Twilight and Rarity and Starlight. The pristine mare's excuse was she needed to watch her weight. The other two were just full. Daisy Chain was delighted when the bill came.

"Here's the bill. So, who's going pay?"

That question made the group looked at each other and point hooves. Twilight ended it by saying she would pay. They protested, but Twilight insisted. After paying she and her friends walked all the way to the castle where they were met by Princess Luna.

"Twilight Sparkle, I have been informed you requested a pass on tonight's learning. Is this true?"

"Tonight's learning? I didn't know you wanted to start early, but yes it is true. I guess. You see, I've been invited to a formal party. And this is my first formal appearance as princess. Please."

Luna stared at the sky for a moment, gazing at the clouds being pushed by pegasi. She looked back at Twilight who wore a worried look. This is the princess who was in the moon for a thousands years, would she say no?

"Alright, Twilight Sparkle, but on one condition."

"Yes?"

"I will accompany you so that the lesson does not get not learned. It has been a long time since w- I have been to a formal gathering."

With that she flew to the Noctis Tower to search for a gown. Twilight smiled at the way Luna spoke, it was very comforting to hear it. After she went to see her friends to their rooms, she and Starlight went to the Noctis Wing to get ready.

Starlight was moved to the room across from Twilight so he could be closer by his princess. He brushed his fangs and combed his mane and tail. Then he placed his dark silver helmet on his head and smiled at his reflection.

"Looking good, handsome. I say you are the most gorgeous stallion in Equestria. Even that pompous Prince Blueblood is no match for you, you stud. I know I'm adorable, just look at my face!"

"Nah, I think you're a dork."

Starlight turned around to see his younger sister standing in the doorway of the bathroom. Her green cat-like eyes were gazing at him and she wore a big smile.

"Midnight! How many times did I tell you not to sneak up on me!"

"More times than you can count."

"Midnight!"

"Okay, okay. But your princess is waiting for you while you're talking to your insanity again."

"I'm not insane. Everypony does this."

"Yeah. Everypony who's either drunk or insane."

The green eyed zaldia left her elder brother alone. Starlight hurried to get his hoof shoes on and opened the door. Twilight was standing there in a dark grey dress. Starlight examined the outfit while she was distracted by the book in her magic; Night Skies and Stars.

It was a pretty dress. The skirt was folded into spikes along the edges and lined with dark purple silk. Her collar had the same silk along a v-necked torso top. Her sleeves were folded like her skirt, but had no silk. She also wore a star earring on her left ear. The only constant things were her silver crown and shoes.

Starlight felt a slight flutter in his chest, nopony made him feel like that before. Twilight looked up from her book and smiled at her guard. He in turn smiled back with his toothy grin. Princess Luna joined them shortly wearing a midnight black dress with dark blue highlights. Captain Fang was at her side wearing her deep blue armor with a moon painted on the chest.

The four of them took a chariot with at least a dozen guards escorting. They landed in front of a rather large airship anchored to one of the many docks for airships. The guards flew around the ship and began patrolling the sky.

The guest announcer took immediate notice of them trotted up the ramp. As soon as they were visible to the other guests on the deck he shouted as loud as he could.

"Presenting Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna!"

He didn't bother announcing the two guards. Everypony knew that any royalty would have a guard by their side. Scarlet Quill trotted up to them and led them to a snack table. In Twilight's mind, this night couldn't go wrong with a dozen guards and a all powerful princess.

Author's Note:

Woohoo! I finished this chapter!