• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,026 Views, 21 Comments

Light of the Moon - Aligon



Twilight Sparkle has been a princess for over a month now. She has been studing everything she'ld have to know about being a ruler. But will her books help her with the unexpected news from Luna?

  • ...
8
 21
 2,026

Chapter 10: New Star

"This is going to be the best party EVER!" (Pinkie)

After asking Celestia, the group of friends began decorating for Twilight's party. Rarity was busy designing outfits in her room. Pinkie was firing her blue cannon. Applejack was making all types of treats in the kitchen, while trying to ignore the head chef.

Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were putting up the streamers in bright silver, purple, blue, and pink. Night Star flew around the room watching the three ponies work. She stared at the pink pony on the ground for a moment before landing softly on the party cannon.

"Oh hi there Nighty! Whatcha want?" (Pinkie)

The cloud's yellow eyes just stared. Then the floating wisps of cloud disappeared from the filly, leaving a powder pink coat and cyan mane. The earth mare giggled at the sight.

"Aw. You wanna be a pony!" (Pinkie)

She picked up the filly and squeezed her in tight hug. The cyan pegasus began descending towards the pair while Fluttershy finished placing streamers.

"Pinkie Pie have you seen th-?" (Rainbow)

Rainbow Dash stopped her flight after spotting the filly with a rope tied around her waist. Fluttershy landed to see why her friend stopped. Without talking, Dash trotted out of the room and came back with a flustered Rarity.

"Now what is all the fuss about?" (Rarity)

The pristine mare looked over to Fluttershy who had the pink filly lying next to her. After a small bright light from the filly, a pink strip ran through the cyan mane.

"It's Nighty! She wanted to be a cute little pony!" (Pinkie)

Rarity wasn't as skilled in magic as Twilight was, but any unicorn could see the remains of a spell.

"Night Star looks like a pony. It may seem the poor dear was hit with a morphing spell." (Rarity)

"So we have a thousand year-old filly now?" (Rainbow)

"A thousand and one hundred year-old alicorn filly, to be precise." (Nighty)

The group looked towards the powder pink alicorn on the floor. Her yellow eyes moved from one pony to the next.

"Can I see my new mother?" (Nighty)

"New mother?" (Fluttershy)

Her eyes turned to the yellow pegasus.

"Yes, I heard somepony saying I was a gift for a princess. I would like to meet her." (Nighty)

"Well sweetie, you'll just have to wait. I'm not even sure you're real." (Rarity)

The filly fluttered her wings in response to the unicorn. Then turned away, walking towards the other gifts. One was silver pendant, that was the one that caught her eye. Gently, she picked up the necklace and frowned.

Fluttershy sat down next to the filly and placed a wing around her. She noted tears forming in those yellow eyes.

"It says Blue Moon, Queen of the Night." (Nighty)

"Was she your mother?" (Fluttershy)

Night nodded and wiped her eyes.

"I miss her. I miss my sister. I miss my home." (Nighty)

"Did she turn you into a cloud?" (Fluttershy)

"No, mother would never hurt me. I think my aunt did." (Nighty)

"Your aunt? Why would your aunt do that?" (Rainbow)

"I think to keep me safe. I miss her too." (Nighty)

The cyan pegasus sat on the other side of the filly, the remaining mares sat behind them. All of them gave comforting words and petting her mane. After twenty minutes Pinkie broke the silence.

"Hey! Doesn't Nighty look kinda look like Twilight?" (Pinkie)

The mares looked at each other then at Nighty. Now the noticed she did have the traditional Sparkle strip in her mane and her face structure was similar to the purple alicorn. Even her voice, though young and higher in pitch, sounded like Twilight's.

"Maybe Twilight's family descended from Miss Blue Moon." (Rarity)

"Maybe or Twilight is a time traveler that went into the past and is secretly a alien in disguise!" (Pinkie)

"I don't think so Pinkie." (Rainbow)

"Maybe Twilight should know about Nighty." (Fluttershy)

"Then you should take her. Night Star seems more comfortable with you." (Rarity)

The yellow mare flinched. Nighty adjusted herself to the mare's movement.

"Go on Fluttershy. It will be alright." (Rainbow)


Fluttershy trotted down the halls following a golden armored stallion. Nighty stayed close to Fluttershy as he lead them to a large silver door. The guard stopped then turned to the pair.

"This is where I leave you. No Celestial guard allowed. Good luck getting in." (guard)

He trotted away to get back to his post. Night Star looked at the writing on the door and turned to Fluttershy.

"I think I can read it. Stand back just in case." (Nighty)

The pegasus nodded and backed away from the door, but was stopped when she heard an enchanting voice.

"Under the moonlight, we dance and play, joining our dear mother. Under the stars, we jump up and sing to our sweet mother." (Nighty)

The door split in two revealing the great Noctis Wing. Fluttershy trotted with Night pass the door and into the large hall. They walked for a few minutes until they found a silver armored mare. The mare had deep red eyes and a dark green coat.

The guard eyed them and bared her fangs. Her front hooves were deep black and looked liked a pair of slippers. Fluttershy felt the young alicorn under her body. She glared at the mare.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing! Scaring a poor defenseless filly like that, you should be ashamed of yourself!" (Fluttershy)

The guard was taken aback by the yellow mare's statement. Then looked down to see the filly hiding under the mare. She took quick notice of the slight curve in the filly's horn and the folding pattern on her wings.

"My apologies, you must be one of the friends the queen spoke of. Please follow me, I'll take you to her." (Guard)

Fluttershy happily followed the mare to the Noctis Library. After more walking they came to a wooden door labeled library. The guard knocked on the door until a brown mare opened the door.

"Hello, may I help you?" (Fern)

"I have a mare here to see the queen. She is one of her friends." (Guard)

"Hold on." (Fern)

The mare closed the door and a few seconds later the door opened to reveal the purple alicorn. Though due to the darkness in the Noctis Wing, the mare had returned to her zaldia form. This caused Fluttershy to jump behind the guard.

"Fluttershy? Are you okay?" (Twilight)

The pegasus poked her head out from behind the guard.

"Twilight? What happened to you?" (Fluttershy)

"I used a special spell on myself to help in my studies. Wait, how did you get in here?" (Twilight)

The pegasus trotted up to her friend with caution, the filly hidden under her moved with the mare. When Fluttershy was a foot from Twilight she spoke.

"That's kind of why I'm here." (Fluttershy)

The two mares went into the library leaving the guard to return to her post. Starlight stared at the mare with his queen. Fern was writing in a notebook. Sprout was sitting by the window. Fluttershy shifted uncomfortably in place.

Twilight sat on a cushion and motioned the pegasus to one next to her. Fluttershy didn't move.

"Twilight, while we were setting up for your surprise party, well, one of the gifts started, um, started..." (Fluttershy)

The purple mare noticed movement under the shy pegasus. A filly, smaller than Sweetie Belle, was trying her best to hide in the long pink mane. When she noticed Twilight's eyes she came out of the tangles of hair and stared at the zaldia queen.

Starlight stood next to Twilight, watching the pink filly. Fluttershy smiled a little at Nighty.

"This is Night Star. She was, well, she was a magic cloud, but now she is a pony. She also believes that, well um, you are going to, um, be her mother." (Fluttershy)

"What was that last part?" (Twilight)

"Um, Nighty thinks you're going to be her mother." (Fluttershy)

Nighty's eyes turned to Starlight, his wings started twitching. Her pupils were slowly retracting to the center of her eyes causing them to look draconic. Her horn was curved slightly The filly tilted her head at the stallion.

"Starlight!" (Twilight)

The zaldia jumped a bit then turned to the queen.

"Yes, my queen." (Starlight)

"I said to please watch Night Star while I talk with Fluttershy." (Twilight)

He nodded and watched as Twilight brought the pegasus through a door leading to a study. Starlight then turned to the filly he had to watch. She was now moving her wings experimentally.

"What are you doing?" (Starlight)

The yellow eyes turned to him again, the pupils now a perfect slit.

"I wanna see your wings please." (Nighty)

"Well I wanna now how you are a zaldia." (Starlight)

"What's a zaldia?" (Nighty)

Starlight stared at the filly. Almost everypony in the world was aware of the zaldias, why the little filly wouldn't he wasn't sure. He held his wings open for the filly to see.

"I'm a zaldia. A pony who is nocturnal and follows the zaldia queen. Right now that is Twilight Sparkle." (Starlight)

"So, my wings are like your wings?" (Nighty)

"Your eyes too." (Starlight)

He pulled Night Star to the mirror so she could see the change for herself. The cyan maned filly gasped at the sight of her reflection. Starlight smiled at the little filly, she was just adorable.

"Do you know why you're a zaldia?" (Starlight)

Nighty looked up at the grey stallion.

"I guess because my mommy was one." (Nighty)

"Who's your mom?" (Starlight)

"Somepony special." (Nighty)

Starlight was going to respond when Sprout pounced on Nighty. The brown pegasus picked up the alicorn filly and placed her on a sitting cushion. Starlight immediately placed himself between the two.

"Why did you do that?" (Starlight)

The pegasus looked behind the grey zaldia at the pink alicorn. Starlight opened his wings to block her from view. Fern stayed where she was, watching her companion.

"I don't know." (Sprout)

Twilight and Fluttershy trotted from the study towards the two stallions. Starlight sat beside the filly while Sprout went back to his window. The purple queen and yellow mare sat in front of the two. It was a few minutes after Twilight spoke.

"Night Star I..." (Twilight) She took notice Nighty's eyes.

Fluttershy placed a wing around her friend, the purple mare did theorize about the filly's origin from her age and the spell used on her.

"I have discussed with my friend about your circumstances right now and I have decided to take you under my wing for now." (Twilight)

"So you'll be my new mommy?" (Nighty)

Twilight stared at the cyan maned filly, her wings twitching nervously. Starlight felt the silence to be very awkward. Fluttershy spoke.

"No, at least not yet. Sometimes ponies aren't ready for that kind of responsibility until a certain age or phase. But Twilight will still care for you until she's ready." (Fluttershy)

Nighty nodded to the yellow mare. She understood a bit of what the pegasus said, but she still felt like it was a no. After a few minutes, Fluttershy left with the to plant ponies to the ballroom while Twilight and Night Star got to know each other. Starlight sat near the pair watching them with a smile.