• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,030 Views, 21 Comments

Light of the Moon - Aligon



Twilight Sparkle has been a princess for over a month now. She has been studing everything she'ld have to know about being a ruler. But will her books help her with the unexpected news from Luna?

  • ...
8
 21
 2,030

Chapter 1: Young Star

The sun was setting, once again ending the day. Ponies made there way through the streets of Canterlot, either going home or finishing their shopping. Some were just enjoying the last rays of sunshine before the sun disappeared for the night.

In the castle, servants still ushered about. Either cleaning, cooking, or tending to which ever princess needs them. One of the princesses, the youngest, was in the Sunshine Library. This mare was Twilight Sparkle, bearer of magic and princess of friendship.

She was sitting at a small desk by a window reading a spell book written by Starswirl the bearded. Around her were stacks of books piled high. The book shelves were almost empty because of the young princess. Twilight was truly enjoying being back in her old room.

Though while reading, she can never seem to notice anything or anypony else. The door opened just as the last rays of sun disappeared. A stallion trotted inside, his silver horseshoes clinking along the floor. He trotted up to the purple princess with caution to not disturb her.

"Let's see, to send a letter without the use of messenger flame you must first have a letter to send. Well duh! Next you-"

"Princess Twilight?"

"GAH!"

Twilight fell over, scattering her books and papers. The guard stared at the bewildered princess who was lying on her back. Her violet eyes stared back, this was not one of Celestia's guards, they wore golden armor. This stallion was wearing dark silver and blue armor.

He was a grey stallion, with turquoise eyes, his tail was silver-blue and he wore a matching helmet, to the armor, covering his mane.

'Who is this guy?' Twilight thought.

"Sorry for startling you, Princess."

The stallion held out his hoof which Twilight took in her own. Once she was standing, she began picking up the scattered papers while the guard picked up the books. It while since they were spread around the room. The guard placed the last book on the top shelf and landed on the ground.

"So who are you and why did you come here?"

The guard turned to face Twilight.

"I am a Lunar guard. I fly under the night sky and I serve Princess Luna."

Twilight stared at his wings, still open from placing the book. They were not ordinary pegasus wings, they were bat-like. Taking another look at the stallion, she saw he had fangs poking out of his mouth and his eyes were cat-like. He looked like one of the stallions who pulled Luna' s chariot on Nightmare Night.

"Princess, are you alright?"

Twilight's eyes turned to his, trying not to flinch at them.

"Sorry, it's just.....well....."

He immediately pulled his wings to his sides and bowed, keeping his eyes shut too.

"I'm sorry I make you uncomfortable,Princess. I am here because Princes Luna wishes to speak with you in the throne room."

He trotted to the door when a hoof tapped his back. He turned his head to see Twilight standing behind him.

"I'm sorry about my reaction, I just never saw a pony like you before. It's kinda fascinating, your wings....and....eyes...."

They stared at each other for a while then the guard opened the door. Twilight remembered Luna and trotted away from Sunshine Library to the throne room. A few feet away from the door the stopped and turned her head and shouted to the guard walking in the opposite direction.

"I almost forgot! What's your name!"

The guard stopped and shouted back.

"Starlight Moon!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Princess Luna flew into the the throne room of Canterlot Castle. She had finished raising the moon into the sky and setting the colors into place. Her horn glowed deep blue as she began lighting the dark sky with stars, shaping constellations across it.

The sound of hoof-beats echoed through the hall, Twilight Sparkle opened the double doors to the throne room and stopped. The usually white and golden hue was gone and replaced with blue and silver. She made her way to Luna trying not to stare at the walls.

"Twilight Sparkle, thank you for coming. I wish to talk with you, but are you ready for the next level of your studies?"

"I am."

"Good, I want you to go to the window and look at my night, tell me what you see."

Twilight turned to the still open window and stared at the sky. Her eyes studied each star and finally rested on the moon. She looked at Luna and answered.

"I see the stars and the moon and the light."

"Light? Explain this light."

"The light from the stars and moon are as bright as the sun, but are dimmer so one could look up and see the entire cosmos. The light also can guide those who are lost, bringing them back home."

Luna stared at the purple alicorn, this is what she was hoping for. Plus Celestia now owes her ten bits. She was ready for her new life.

"Twilight Sparkle you are, indeed, ready. Tonight you will change teachers, from my sister to me. Twilight Sparkle you are now my student."

Twilight froze, She, Luna, wanted her, Twilight, to become her student. It was so sudden! And why now? Why her? Why?

"This news is good news Twilight Sparkle. Me nor my sister are ill or have been threatened. We have been watching and waiting for somepony to take our places when the time comes. You will become my heir, your sister will become sister's heir."

Twilight thought. It made sense, in a way. She would be in charge of the night, moon, and stars. While Cadence would take over the day and sun. She would handle more than Cadence. Her name even sounded like the night.

"Where do I start?"

"I am pleased to see you're taking the news well. You will need a personal guard, do you have any suggestions?"

She began thinking again. Who?

"Starlight Moon, Princess."

"Then he will escort you to your newest room. Starlight come forth!"

The grey pegasus appeared in the doorway, looking exhausted. He trotted up to the pair and saluted with his wing.

"Starlight you are now to guard Twilight Sparkle with your life. Please take her to the Noctis Wing so she may rest."

Starlight nodded and turned to Twilight.

"This way, Princess."

Then the two left Luna alone in the throne room. She watched the sky, then looked to the door. And she smiled.

"Sweet dreams, Twilight Sparkle. Welcome to the night."