• Published 26th Jan 2014
  • 2,021 Views, 21 Comments

Light of the Moon - Aligon



Twilight Sparkle has been a princess for over a month now. She has been studing everything she'ld have to know about being a ruler. But will her books help her with the unexpected news from Luna?

  • ...
8
 21
 2,021

Chapter 11: Nocturne

Author's Note:

The chapter is short, but I thought you needed to see what Nocturne was doing after the attack.

Deep underground in the catacombs, four cloaked ponies stood in a circle. Each was a unicorn holding a star-shaped crystal in their magic. In the center of the circle was a pool of night blue water, it shimmered from the glow of the horns.

A unicorn stallion stared into the pool, waiting for a sign. The ponies around him chanted while pushing the star crystals toward the water. Moonlight leaked into the cavern through a small hole in the ceiling, pointing to the pool's center. The crystals reached the light as the ponies chanted louder, the water began to stir.

Slowly the water rose into the beam of light, darkening it. The four crystals circled around until a bright window opened up. The stallion stared at the window, the moon and star glowed brightly on his amulet. Then a light purple head appeared in the window.

The mane was deep purple with a pink stripe, a large horn with a crooked edge poked through the hair. The stallion smiled at the mare.

"My queen of queens, ruler of the moon, light in the dark, I wish to speak." (Stallion)

The mare's eyes opened revealing yellow, draconic slits. A scowl formed on the mystery mare's face as she pointed a hoof at the cloaked pony.

"You are not allowed to summon me, Ivory. You and your idiotic cult know that I will never become the queen of queens." (Mare)

Ivory Tusk removed the hood of his cloak still smiling at her.

"My dear queen, your children only wish to free you." (Ivory)

"You are not my children! You are insane ponies who wish nothing more than eternal night and the destruction of my daughters!" (mare)

"My queen, please. Your daughters are nothing more than a pair of earrings and a miserable orphan." (Ivory)

The mare's wings flared behind her, lightning struck the ground in front of Ivory. He jumped back in response then glared at the mare.

"I only spoke the truth! The crystal was never meant to live! The child was abandoned by the father! You deserve better than that." (Ivory)

The surrounding unicorns prepared to pull the crystals away and close the window. Ivory held his hoof up to stop them.

"My queen, Blue Moon, I apologize for my outburst. I don't think you know this, but I am not a true unicorn. I was born an earth pony among the Canterlot nobles. Ridiculed for the lack of a pair of wings or a horn, I was brought to the Nocturne.

They summoned you and you blessed me with a horn. You are in a way, my mother. I just want to be, like all the others, a loyal child." (Ivory)

Blue Moon stared daggers at Ivory. He was becoming desperate, his attack on the castle must have failed. There is no possible way for her sister's spell to be undone. Not even their most powerful unicorns can break it. She looked at the unicorn on her right, causing them to flinch.

"I do not need more children. Ivory, if you want me to be happy then go and use your magic to help others." (Blue)

"I am helping, my queen. My brother has informed me earlier that the cloud has broken." (Ivory)

The silver-grey stallion smiled to her, awaiting her response. Blue Moon however laughed.

"Is something the matter, my queen?" (Ivory)

"Night Star is safe from you." (Blue)

"And why do you say that? we know where she is and how to capture her so that she can take your place." (Ivory)

Blue Moon's horn glowed, conjuring a eight point star in front of her.

"Do you know what this is, Ivory?" (Blue)

"Of course, my queen. It is the symbol of the magic leader, the one who is destined to lead those around her, the one true queen. But she cannot exist, nopony is that powerful." (Ivory)

"That is were you're wrong. My sister and I already sensed her presence, she is here." (Blue)

"You do not mean.." (Ivory)

"Yes. Queen Twilight Sparkle, you've already seen her and yet you were blind to who she was. You will never win against my heir." (Blue)

With that the four unicorns removed the star crystals and the connection was lost. Ivory Tusk stood still, mouth agape. He had been blind to not see the eight point star on the new princess's flank. Nothing can stop magic that strong, but......

"Hmm......Prepare yourselves, my brothers and sisters, for a development has arisen. We can still free our mother! And now we can free her without shedding blood! We will return the real celestial orbs to the sky and bring back the queen! All hail the Moon!" (Ivory)

"All hail the Moon!" (Unicorns)