• Published 12th Jan 2014
  • 1,080 Views, 19 Comments

The Great Ponyville Bake-Off - cooopercrisp



With royalty judging the annual Ponyville Fair baking competition, there's a lot at stake for Pinkie Pie and Applejack. The winner will go down as the best baker in Equestria, and they'll do whatever it takes to come out on top.

  • ...
0
 19
 1,080

Friendly Competition

Chapter 1: Friendly Competition

The balmy summer air was the best weather anypony could have asked for for the annual Ponyville Fair. Often called the best small-town fair in Equestria, five days in the middle of July are devoted to ferris wheels, music, games, and a wonderful chance to socialize. But the fair was most known for the food.

Fried dough, giant pretzels, and steaming hot veggie burgers were just some of the delicious choices offered by the ponies of Ponyville. Concession stand after concession stand was lined with the tastiest summer eats around, and it was the food that Twilight was looking the most forward to in her first fair as a princess. Given the presence of royalty in the small town, the fair was going to take on a bit of a different role this year, and all four princesses were expected to attend to commemorate this milestone. The talk around the town was brimming with excitement as a result.

Twilight and her friends were at the library discussing the fair’s logistics. Ever since Twilight came to town, they’ve been in charge of running the fair. Amidst all the planning and organization, however, the presence of the princesses was all they could think about.

“To think, the fair is going to be hosting royalty this year!” Rarity exclaimed. “It will make an already marvelous occasion all the more significant.”

“Well, I for one hope nothin’ changes,” Applejack replied. “This fair’s always been about the small towns and down-home hospitality. I’m thrilled that the princesses are comin’, but I’m afraid they might distract from the main event.”

“I see your point, Applejack,” Twilight said, “but Princess Celestia asked that we run the fair as normal. We’ve been setting up the fair ever since my arrival in Ponyville, and she wants us to make sure the presence of royalty changes nothing.”

“But do you realize what this means?” Dash cried. “This is gonna be the biggest fair ever! All four princesses being there, it’s gonna draw a huge crowd. I’ve heard rumors that the Wonderbolts are gonna do a show. This could be my big chance to impress them!”

“But didn’t you already go to that academy?” Fluttershy asked. “Doesn’t that mean they already know about you?”

“Yeah, but I dropped out, remember? That set me back a bit, so I need to make up for that by really showing them my stuff. And, well, a little royal endorsement couldn’t hurt…” Dash made a not so subtle wink in Twilight’s direction.

“I’d love to help out your chances, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight responded, “but I only have so much clout. Besides, the Wonderbolts put performance over politics. They’re one of the few entities in Equestria that care more about what you can do than who you are.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” Dash grumbled. “An Element of Harmony, and I don’t even get looked at. You’d think a Sonic Rainboom would help change their minds, but they keep telling me I need to pull it off consistently. As if three times isn’t enough!”

“Now, now, Rainbow Dash,” Rarity said, trying to calm her. “We all know you’d make a great Wonderbolt, but these things take time. Now, about the fair. We need to take extra care to ensure that it goes off without a hitch.”

“Rarity’s right,” Fluttershy said. “We’ve got a lot of ponies to impress this year, so we have to do the best we can.”

“Don’t worry, girls!” Pinkie shouted, leaping around the room. “I’ve got this! I’ve been organizing this thing for years, even before Twilight came around, and there hasn’t been one hiccup yet!”

“What about two years ago when one of the concession stands caught on fire?” Applejack recalled.

“Or the time when stray clouds from the Everfree Forest moved in and dumped a boatload of rain on everypony?” Dash asked.

“Or how about when one of the contestants in the pie-eating contest threw up on one of the judges?” Rarity remembered.

“Okay, okay, so there have been some problems,” Pinkie reasoned, “but overall, the fairs have gone on without a hitch since I started planning them. Now, we have a lot of events to schedule this year. We’ve gotta organize the concert on the second night, the pie-eating contest on the fourth day, the fireworks on the last night—”

“Pinkie, I’ve already written all of it down,” Twilight said, pulling out a schedule of all the events. Pinkie pored over the list carefully, looking for omissions or scheduling conflicts. But Twilight’s organization skills were impeccable, and she saw no issues with the line-up.

“This is...acceptable,” Pinkie said. “But writing down a schedule is one thing. It’s another to actually buckle down and execute it! We have to go talk to all of the ponies in Ponyville who are involved and make sure they’ll be prepared and ready to go.”

“I’ll take the charge there,” Rarity offered. “My social connections in this town have proven useful in the organization of all the events.”

“And I reckon I’ll be in charge of the setup,” Applejack said. “Gotta make sure all the stands and rides are lined up right, or the whole thing’ll be a mess.”

“I’m on weather patrol,” Dash said, soaring around the library. “We won’t be getting any stray storms from the Everfree this year!”

“And I’ll be in charge of keeping everypony on schedule,” Twilight said.

“No, no, Twilight. Leave that to me,” Pinkie corrected her. “You’re going to be far too busy with your royal duties to have time to organize everything. Fluttershy and I will pick up the slack, right, Fluttershy?”

“Oh, of course,” Fluttershy said with a nod. “We’ll take the load off your back this year, Princess.”

“Please don’t call me that,” Twilight said, grimacing. “Around strangers, I’m a princess. But with you guys, I’m still just Twilight. You should know that by now.”

“We get it, Twi,” Applejack said, patting her on the back. “Bein’ a princess must be a tough job, and you don’t want your friends puttin’ pressure on you.”

“Thanks, Applejack,” Twilight replied with a smile. “That means a lot.”

“So, Applejack,” Pinkie said, staring her down. “Ready to lose the Great Ponyville Bake-Off again?”

“It ain’t gonna be like last year, Sugarcube,” Applejack boasted. “You got off on a technicality, and the Apple family won’t make the same mistakes twice. Besides, we’re three and three since the Cakes moved into town, so you can’t say you’ve won any more than we have.”

“Please, Applejack. Everypony knows the defending champions have a greater chance of winning than anypony else.”

“Don’t use your fancy mathematics to muddy the issue,” Applejack said with a sneer. “Our apple pie was better than anything you could have pulled off last year.”

“Too good,” Pinkie responded with a devilish grin. “You used a banned substance and were disqualified.”

“How were we supposed to know zap apples were banned?” Applejack asked. “They had never bloomed that early before, so we thought we had a good opportunity on our hooves.”

“Well, you won’t win with gimmicks and excuses like that!” Pinkie said, getting up and glowering at Applejack as she approached. Applejack straightened her Stetson and got up to meet her. They stared each other down with determination, almost looking ready to settle the score then and there with a fight. Fluttershy cleared her throat and spoke up.

“Or, you know, Bon Bon and Lyra could win.”

Applejack and Pinkie slowly turned their heads and glared at Fluttershy before bursting out with a laugh.

“Fluttershy, please,” Applejack said in between spurts of giggling. “She might know her way around chocolate, but Bon Bon can’t bake anythin’ to save her life. She’ll get the bronze ribbon for placin’ third and she knows it.”

“I’m just saying, don’t let your guard down,” Fluttershy warned her friends. “Remember what happened in that Running of the Leaves between you and Dash.”

“Did you have to bring that up?” Dash groaned.

“Oh, but this year’s gonna be different!” Pinkie reminded Applejack. “Because this time, the four princesses and Shining Armor are gonna be the judges. Isn’t that right, Twilight?”

“That’s what Princess Celestia said in the letter,” she recalled. “I suppose being judged by royalty ups the ante a bit.”

“‘A bit?’” Pinkie asked. “Twilight, do you know the kind of food they’re used to eating every day? They eat the most delicious pastries every day for dessert. They can detect the smallest imperfections. A bitter taste here, a bland texture there, and bam! You’re out of the running.”

“And what does that say about me?” Twilight asked.

“You’re used to Spike’s cooking,” Rarity said, “and I swear, that dragon’s chocolate cake is even better than the cake they served at the Grand Galloping Gala.”

“Too bad I’m not qualified to compete in the bake-off,” Spike said, coming out of the shadows with a scowl on his face.

“Sorry, Spike,” Applejack said, “but traditionally only ponies could participate in the bake-off. Granny’s dad set the rule and it hasn’t changed in decades.”

“It’s stupid!” Spike complained. “You know how outdated that sounds? It’s kinda racist, if you ask me, not letting a dragon or a griffon participate because they don’t have four hooves and a tail!”

“Sorry, Spike,” Pinkie said, “but you know how strict Ponyville is about tradition. Just look at Winter Wrap-Up.”

“Whatever,” Spike muttered, walking out of the room. The six ponies winced as they watched him go, and they turned back to each other uncomfortably.

“I feel bad for the poor drake,” Rarity said. “He really is quite gifted, and he can’t put it on display for the fair.”

“I agree,” Applejack said, “but there ain’t anythin’ we can do. It’s gonna be just us ponies in the bake-off, and when I win, it’ll prove to everypony in Equestria that the Apples can work an oven better than the Cakes.”

“In your dreams, maybe!” Pinkie replied, “but in reality, the family that bakes for a living is gonna come out on top. Just you wait and see!”

“Well then, I’d better get crackin’ on our recipe so we can settle the score. Good luck to you, Pinkie. You’re gonna need it.” Applejack got up, tousled Pinkie’s mane, and walked down the stairs and out of sight. Pinkie groaned and bounced off the floor.

“No way I’m gonna let that cowpony one-up me. It’s time to get to work!” Pinkie followed quickly after her, and their friends could hear Applejack and Pinkie bickering as they left the library. The four of them turned to each other nervously.

“This is a lot more intense than past years,” Twilight said. “I hope they don’t actually start fighting.”

“It’s just ’cause you and the other princesses are judging,” Dash explained. “There’s a lot more on the line this year, and I think the pressure’s getting to them.”

“I should remind them that it’s a friendly competition,” Fluttershy said sternly, “and that a win isn’t worth it if somepony’s feelings get hurt.”

“Fluttershy, darling,” Rarity said, “there’s not much you can do about it. They’re both thick-skinned ponies. I’m sure they’ll be fine.”

“I hope so,” Fluttershy said, “or this will be one ugly fight.”

The four of them hoped against hope that Fluttershy’s premonition didn’t come to pass.

Author's Note:

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but I know it's about Pinkie Pie and Applejack. I've had this idea in the past, but now seems a good time to write the story.

Let's see what these two Earth ponies will do to try to win this bake-off!