• Published 6th Jan 2014
  • 1,905 Views, 70 Comments

Writer's Training Grounds Entries - Yukito



My entries into Equestria Daily's Writer's Training Grounds.

  • ...
3
 70
 1,905

PreviousChapters Next
Prompt #15 - I Spy... A MURDER! (Rainbow Dash, Twilight Sparkle, Spike) [Random, Mystery]

Prompt: Thanks to her uncanny eye for detail on the wing, Rainbow Dash glimpses something she should never have seen.


Rainbow Dash was psyched. She had no idea she possessed such an awesome ability. To think, she could learn whilst she flew! Her least favourite thing with her most favourite thing! Passing her test into the Wonderbolts Reserves was just the start; Rainbow Dash had big plans for her newfound power. She was going to go far. She could see it now – Captain, no, General Rainbow Dash! Heck, why stop there? General-Doctor Rainbow Dash, Master of Science! Boy, would her mum be in for a shock!

But first, there was something else that she had to take care of. A little task that she just couldn’t possibly ignore…

Rainbow Dash had ordered Scootaloo to collect as much information on advanced magical theory as she could and set up signs along Rainbow’s morning route. She was going to surprise Twilight and relish the look of utter shock that the bookworm would surely give her.

“Okay, let’s see if I got this… Magic comes in all forms and is in every living thing, but a unicorn’s horn can tap into it directly using the magic nodes aligning the inside and controlling the energy by splitting the magic into its base elemental spectrum, thereby allowing the user to pick a particular magical element and shape it into a spell.”

Rainbow Dash squeed with excitement. “Magic wavelength is equal to the velocity of the magical energy over its frequency… This is so awesome! I don’t even know what I just said, but I totally remember it all! Magic falls under six types, those types are Twilight burying somepony in the woods, and-”

Rainbow Dash stopped herself. “Wait… Twilight burying somepony in the woods?” Rainbow gasped as the memory suddenly returned to her. As she was flying over Whitetail Woods, she quite clearly caught the sight of her friend Twilight Sparkle burying somepony in a hole in the ground.

“… Naaaah, couldn’t be!” Rainbow Dash said to herself with a nervous chuckle. “I mean, c’mon. Twilight, burying a body? That’d be like, Spike not wanting to eat gems. Twilight would never do something like that. Not unless somepony burned a book in front of her.” Rainbow Dash giggled at her little joke… and then felt uneasy. What if somepony did burn a book in front of Twilight? What then? Would that be enough to push Twilight over the line of insanity?

Scratching the back of her neck whilst biting her lip, Rainbow Dash looked outside of her window, in the direction of the Golden Oaks Library. “I’m sure I was just imagining things. Maybe it’d be best to ask Twilight before I jump to conclusions.”

Rainbow Dash flew out of her house and speeded towards the library. She landed on the balcony just outside of Twilight’s bedroom and peered inside. She found Twilight sitting at her desk, probably engaged with her usual studies… except that there weren’t piles and piles of books to either side of here.

“This is bad,” Twilight said as she held her head in her forehooves. “Oooh, this is very, very bad! What will I do if somepony finds out?”

“What?” Rainbow Dash whispered as she nudged the window open ever-so-slightly to better hear what Twilight was saying.

“No, it’s fine! I buried the evidence in a place where nopony will look.” Twilight nodded to herself before stopping suddenly. “But what about Spike?! He might tell somepony and then everypony will know what I did! I suppose I have no choice… I’ll just have to silence him.”

Rainbow gasped and then quickly clamped her hooves over her mouth. She took off into the air and perched herself on top of a tree branch. ‘S-Silence him? What did she mean by that?

“I should also burn the other evidence, too. Just to be on the safe side,” Twilight said from within the library, her voice growing softer and the sounds of hoofsteps telling Rainbow Dash that she was on the move. The pegasus flew back down and found Twilight walking down the stairs. “I can’t afford to leave any loose ends. Who knows what Celestia would do to me if she knew what I did today?”

“What she did?” Rainbow asked herself with a gulp. She slowly pushed the window open further and crept inside, and then jumped as she heard hoofsteps drawing closer. Quickly, Rainbow Dash dove underneath Twilight’s bed just before the purple alicorn returned to her room.

“Almost forgot this,” Twilight said to herself as she picked something up off of her bed. “I’ll need this to create my alibi. No doubt an investigation into the missing report will be opened up very quickly.”

A missing report?’ Rainbow Dash thought to herself as she watched Twilight disappear down the stairs once more. ‘As in… like a missing pony?

Rainbow Dash heard the door downstairs open. “Twilight, I’m home!”

“Spike? Can you come into the kitchen for a moment?” Rainbow’s fur stood on end. “I need to… talk to you about something…”

“N-No!” Rainbow Dash shouted as she crawled out from beneath the bed the bed and bolted down the stairs as quickly as possible, startling both Twilight and Spike. “Spike, don’t go! It’s a trap!”

“Rainbow Dash?!” Twilight asked in complete surprise. “What are you- Were you just in my bedroom?!”

“Yeah, and I heard what you said up there,” Rainbow Dash said, glaring at her friend. “You said you were gonna ‘silence’ Spike!”

Twilight bit her lip. “Y-You heard that?” Rainbow Dash nodded. “… Well then, I guess I’ll have to silence you, too.”

Rainbow gasped. “Y-You wouldn’t!”

“So… what do you want?”

“… Eh?”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Well I doubt you’d be interested in gems,” Twilight said, pointing a hoof towards Spike who was eating from a bowlful of gems in the corner of the room. “So what can I get you to stay quiet?”

“… O-Oh… That’s what you meant.” Rainbow Dash almost felt her cheeks burning up from embarrassment, before she reminded herself that that wasn’t the only issue to deal with. “B-But no! I’m sorry Twilight, but I just… I can’t pretend like I didn’t see anything, even if you are a friend!”

Twilight gave Rainbow Dash a pleading look. “Please, Rainbow Dash… I made a mistake, but I promise it will never happen again!”

“It doesn’t matter! I saw you bury that pony, that’s not something I can just ignore!”

“Please, Rainbow, I-” Twilight stopped. “Wait, you saw me do what now?”

“And I heard you talking about the missing pony report. Twilight, how could you? It doesn’t matter how many books they burned, that was still a living pony!”

“Rainbow, I… think you might have got the wrong idea. I didn’t bury anypony.”

“I saw you! You were burying a grey filly out in the Whitetail Woods!”

Twilight stared at her glaring friend with a look of disbelief. Suddenly, a flash of realisation passed through her mind. “Rainbow Dash, is this the filly you saw?” Twilight used her magic to pull out a small grey plush toy from a nearby table.

“… Oh. Yeeeeeah, that’s it.”

“I thought so,” Twilight said with a smile. “Smarty-pants was out there with me and fell into the hole while I was digging. That must have been what you saw.”

“I guess so… but then, what were burying out there?”

“My… report…” Twilight said with a look of guilt as she lowered her head. “Princess Celestia gave me an assignment to complete today, but I… I cheated on it…”

“You did? How?”

“Well, for this particular test I had to do it in the time allowed. Spike was timing me.” Spike gave a confirmatory nod. “He told me to put my pen down, but there was just one more thing I had to write down.”

“Okay… and then?”

Twilight gave Rainbow Dash a confused look. “What do you mean ‘and then’? I exceeded the time limit!” Twilight screamed as she grabbed her friend’s shoulders and shook them furiously. “I wrote an answer after I was told to put my pen down! I was given three hours, three! No five, or ten, or three and a bit. Just. Three!”

“I actually didn’t notice,” Spike said as he scratched his head. “Are you sure you went over the time?”

“Am I sure?!” Twilight asked Spike. “Of course I’m sure! Would I be freaking out like this if I wasn’t sure?!”

“Uh… I guess not…”

“I went over the time by an entire five seconds!”

“I don’t think it’s a big deal, Twilight,” Rainbow Dash assured her friend.

“NOT A BIG DEAL?! Rainbow Dash, if you keep a tornado going for five seconds longer than you were meant to, the destruction you cause could be catastrophic! If you turn five seconds too late, you could end up flying directly into a tree!”

“And if you keep writing for five seconds more on a test, you get like, what, one more mark?” Rainbow Dash asked with a grin. “Seriously Twilight, I don’t think the princess will mind if you just cross out the answer and explain it to her.”

“Y-You think so?” Twilight asked.

“Of course! Honesty’s the best policy and all that.”


Applejack let out an annoyed hum as she stopped peeling her apples and glared outside of the window beside her.

“Somethin’ wrong, sis?” Apple Bloom asked, noticing her sister’s annoyance.

“Ah dunno… Ah jus’ feel like somepony’s stealin’ mah thunder, again.”


“You know what? You’re right!” Twilight said with a confident smile. “Princess Celestia even forgave me that one time I was point five two seconds late to my afterschool class.”

“… You are such an egghead,” Rainbow Dash said with a sigh.

“Spike, could you do me one small favour?” Twilight asked.

Spike gulped down the gem in his mouth and gave Twilight and uncertain look. “Uh, I dunno… Does it involve a lot of work?”

“Please, Spike,” Twilight pleaded. “I still have so much work to do and you can dig so much faster than me.”

With a sigh, Spike climbed to his feet and placed his gems down. “Fine, fine. But you’d better remember this, ‘cause I’m totally gonna call in the favour someday, when I’m ready to make my move on Rarity.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and giggled as Spike left. “Well then,” Rainbow Dash said, “I guess that clears up that little misunderstanding.”

“I suppose I should thank you, Rainbow,” Twilight said. “If it wasn’t for you, I would have lied to the princess about my missing assignment.”

“Ah, don’t mention it. It’s all in day’s work for a superhero.” An idea crossed Rainbow’s mind and she grinned. “By the way, did you know that magic is, uh… T-The six types of magic have different properties that let them…” Twilight tilted her head as Rainbow Dash froze on the spot. “Oh! When you combine magic types it’s called a ‘polio-magical spell’!”

“You mean ‘polymagical spell’?”

“Oh… Right…” Rainbow Dash moved slowly and awkwardly towards the door. “Soooo… I guess I’ll just be leaving now.”

“Rainbow Dash?”

“Later!” Rainbow Dash zipped out of the door and slammed it shut behind her before any awkward conversation could begin. “Well, that could’ve gone better. I guess I just forget stuff like that after a while, huh?” With a sigh, Rainbow Dash fluttered slowly into the air and made her way towards home.

No easy sweep to general.

No doctorate in science.

And no stunning Twilight into science with sudden bursts of knowledge.

“Ah well. I didn’t wanna be an egghead anyway.”

Author's Note:

Hey, just 'cause she has a crackin' eye for detail, don't make her no gumshoe.

Though I totally wouldn't be opposed to seeing Rainbow Dash being shrunk to filly size by some drug due to her investigating dangerous criminals...

Check out the other submissions by various authours here: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/04/writers-training-grounds-015-testing_12.html

PreviousChapters Next