• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 1,256 Views, 17 Comments

The Magic of the Earth - Cameron Nightshade



What if one day you found that you happened to be different from everyone else in the world? How would you react, and what would you do?

  • ...
4
 17
 1,256

Meeting Princess Celestia

When you are young, you always dream of going to Canterlot to look at the castle. I know I did. Now I get to be inside the castle. Inside the huge castle, and get to meet Princess Celestia, and if I’m lucky, Princess Luna too.

We pulled into the garden of Canterlot Castle, and got off the huge chariot decorated with suns.

Princess Celestia was waiting below the stairs. As I approached her, I bowed, just how I was taught to by my mom. “Welcome, Dawn Shadow. So, I hear that you have the ability to use magic, even though you are an Earth pony, correct?” Princess Celestia asked.

Her size scared me. she was easily 4 times my size. And to be looking to that Solar Princess was a huge shock. Princess Twilight’s words got me out of the trance. “It’s okay, Dawn. I know she is tall, but it’s okay. Go ahead,” Princess Twilight nudged me forward.

I scratched the ground with my hoof. “Well, uhm, yeah. I just found out today, and it was quite a shock to me. Earth ponies aren’t supposed to do magic!” I told Princess Celestia.

Princess Celestia nodded her head. “Please, follow me. I’m going to show you something. Twilight, will you please leave us alone for a while?”

Princess Twilight bowed and went over to the Canterlot Sculpture Garden.

Princess Celestia and I went up the long stairs. What seemed like an eternity later, I made it to the top of the stairs. “So, Dawn. As an Earth pony who can do magic, it is extremely important that you know how to control this magic. When I first met Twilight, her magic was out of control. She had a magic surge. Magic surges happen when some burst of some kind, triggers your magic so much that you can not control it. It happens to most unicorns when they are starting to use their magic. Yet with Twilight, hers was bigger than I have ever seen. As I know, today was your first day with magic. What exactly happened?” Princess Celestia asked as we walked down the long halls.

I started walking a little faster to keep up with the large Princess. “Well, I kinda got mad at my friend. She said she knew how I felt, and I yelled at her. I pointed my hoof at her, and a blue surge of magic flew from my hoof and hit her in the wing. I thought that I had hurt her, but she seemed fine. We then decided to go to Princess Twilight and see what she could do to help me, and we ended up coming to you.” I concluded.

Princess Celestia looked at me. “Well you do have a special gift. But you must learn to control it, and to hide it. If Twilight hadn’t asked me if you could be her student, I would have taken you under my wing. But I do believe that she can handle taking a student. So you will the personal student of Princess Twilight. Ah, we are here,” Princess Celestia explained.

In front of us was a large door, with a hole between where the two door met. Princess Celestia put her horn in the small opening, and used her magic to open the door. As the door opened, I saw that it was a bedroom. For a princess. “Excuse me, Princess, but what is this?” I asked as we stepped inside.

“This is the bedroom of my sister. No, it’s not Luna. It is another sister. Princess Aurora Dawn. She was the Princess of Fire. She passed just a few decades ago, long after I had banished Luna. She could not control her magical powers, like I could. It overtook her. I was with her when it happened. I had walked into her room to talk to her, and I saw that her magic was out of control. I tried to help her, but I couldn’t. She burst into flame, and I watched my sister burn, and I couldn’t stop it. It tore me up for months. I had no one to talk to after that. I would never leave my room. I lost weight, and became ill. I had lost everyone dear to me. I still care for this room, making sure the dust is gone, and I speak to her. I know it sounds silly, but it’s true. But when you can’t control your magic, it can kill you. You must be cautious with magic. You, Twilight, and Luna are the only ones who know what is inside this room. I must ask that you keep that totally to yourself, but you may speak to Luna or Twilight about it at anytime. Come, let me show you back to Twilight.” Princess Celestia ended her story.

Tears fell from my eyes. I couldn’t imagine losing my whole family like that. Especially if I couldn’t save them. I wiped away the tears from my face with my hoof. Once we got down to Princess Twilight, Princess Celestia told her that we can stay in Canterlot for a few days, and that I can be taught the basics of magic.

As we went up to the rooms that were offered to us, I decided to ask Princess Twilight about the room I saw. “So, what do you all know about Princess Aurora Dawn?” I asked shyly.
Princess Twilight looked at me. “She showed you the room, didn’t she? Well, I did a little research to see if I could find anything about her. When I looked, there was no record of a third Princess. But there has to be, because of Prince Blueblood being Celestia’s nephew. So I guess it adds up. But other than what Celestia has told me, I know nothing. There is nothing to prove there was a Princess of Fire at all. There aren’t even pictures of her. The only proof I have, is Celestia’s and Luna’s word. From what I know, you and I are the only ones to not have a full story. But do not dwell on it too much. Goodnight, Dawn. A maid will be in to wake you tomorrow.” Princess Twilight finished.

“Good night,” I walked into my room, and immediately fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow.

Author's Note:

Sorry about the chapter wait. My computer went down, because my school district decided to update all of our computers, and they became useless for a while. But it is all good now, and I can write my stories more! Yay!