• Published 15th Mar 2012
  • 1,352 Views, 20 Comments

Into Unknown Territory - Kirb



An uptight air force pilot flies into the Bermuda Triangle and wakes up in Ponyville.

  • ...
7
 20
 1,352

Chapter 6

"Quinn Evans, Air Force pilot. Rank: Major. Age: 26," Quinn repeated once again. He had just been saying that over and over for two straight hours.
"Well, I reckon this ain't gettin' anywhere," said Applejack.
"Maybe he won't respond because he doesn't trust us," said Fluttershy.
"You just figured that out?" said Quinn. "I can't believe it took you that long."
"Well, at least he isn't still repeating all that useless information about himself anymore!" laughed Pinkie Pie.
"We have to get him to trust us," said Fluttershy.
"Ha!" said Quinn. "I'll never trust you. What reason do I have to trust a bunch of talking ponies?"
Fluttershy leaned over towards Twilight Sparkle. "Maybe if we offer him food and a place to stay," whispered Fluttershy, "he'll trust us enough to tell us where he came from and how he got here."
"I don't know," whispered Twilight. "He doesn't seem like the type of guy who'd just hand over information for a reward."
"But it's worth a try!" whispered Fluttershy. Twilight sighed and looked back at Quinn.
"Quinn," she began, "this has been a rough and very strange day for all of us, and I am hoping we can get to know each other on better terms, so we're going to give you food and shelter. Is that okay with you?"
Quinn sighed and repeated again, "Quinn Evans, Air Force pilot. Rank: Major. Age: 26."
"I will take that as a yes," said Twilight. As the horses galloped down the hill, Twilight turned around and asked, "You coming?"
As much as Quinn wanted to avoid the ponies, he was feeling extremely hungry after running out of plane rations the day before, so he reluctantly followed them.
...
There was a long, awkward silence for a time. Quinn actually liked it. Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, Pinkie Pie asked in her annoying voice, "Do you like cupcakes?"
"I--" Quinn began, but then was cut off by Twilight.
"Pinkie, we've talked about this before. They probably don't even have cupcakes where he comes from."
"Actually," interrupted Quinn, "we do have cupcakes. And yes, though I'm usually not one to admit it, I do like cupcakes."
"Ooh!" said Pinkie, jumping on Quinn's head. "I like you already, Quinn!"
Quinn pushed Pinkie off his head. "First of all, please don't jump on my head." Pinkie nodded. "Secondly, never call me Quinn. Only my friends call me Quinn."
"But I thought I am your friend!" said Pinkie.
"No, I just met you today," said Quinn.
"We always try to make friends here as soon as we meet new ponies!" said Pinkie. "It's like this: when we meet you, you're considered a friend until proven otherwise."
"Really? If that's the case, I'm going to hate it here."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I'm in the Air Force, so my line of work doesn't exactly promote friendship."
"What's the Air Force?"
"It's a part of our Military."
"What's the Military?"
"You don't have a military? Now I'm really going to hate it here. The Military is basically when our Government hires a bunch of dudes to go invade other countries and kill people."
"Oh my!" gasped Rarity. "What a horrible job!"
"It's not horrible if I get paid for it," replied Quinn.
"I know," said Rarity, "but it's still horrible!"
"Look, Ms... you," said Quinn, "I don't question your line of work, so you shouldn't question mine. Anyway, only my friends call me by my first name, so you can call me Major Evans or, if at a more casual time, just Evans."
"It's his wishes," said Twilight, "and I'm not one to go against them. Speaking of names, I don't think we've introduced ourselves. My name is Twilight Sparkle! And this is Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash."
"Good for you," said Quinn. "Whoop de do."
Twilight and the others continued on ahead, talking all the way. Quinn started walking more slowly, hoping to avoid them. Suddenly, he heard a voice.
"Don't mind my friends, Quinn. Sometimes I get annoyed with them too."
Quinn turned and saw Rainbow Dash had dropped behind and was walking next to him. Quinn sighed.
"Are they always like that?"
"No," said Rainbow Dash, "not always." She then flew up to Quinn's ear and whispered in it: "But they wouldn't know sanity if it came up and bit them in the ass."
...
"Okay," said Twilight. "Now you're going to walk through Ponyville again, only this time, you'll do so without panicking."
"What?" yelled Quinn. "No way. Nuh-uh. I'm not going through there again."
"Well," said Twilight, "there isn't really any other way of getting to food, so..."
"Look, Twilight Sparkle," said Quinn, "I appreciate what you're trying to do for me, but I'm not really hungry, and I can sleep in my plane, so will you let me..."
"Come on!" said Pinkie. "You must go! Or else!"
"Or else what?!"
Pinkie then started singing.

Don't be afraid of different types of ponies
For they're not all bad
Even if they look at you weirdly
It's not like they'll drive you mad

"Okay, I'll go!" yelled Quinn. "Anything to get you to stop singing!" Pinkie didn't know whether to be pleased or offended. Quinn took a step forward.
"Here goes..."
He walked into Ponyville with Twilight, Pinkie, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. As he walked, the seemingly thousands of ponies in the town stared at him. They all crowded around him, all with looks of fear on their faces.
"What?" said Quinn. "You never seen a human before?"
All the other ponies gasped and then started running in all possible directions, screaming. Quinn sighed and looked at Twilight.
"I told you this was a bad idea, TS."