• Published 15th Mar 2012
  • 1,352 Views, 20 Comments

Into Unknown Territory - Kirb



An uptight air force pilot flies into the Bermuda Triangle and wakes up in Ponyville.

  • ...
7
 20
 1,352

Chapter 2

The sun was blazing in the sky. Its rays were coming down, shining on the trees, grass, and other such normal stuff you would find in a field. It also shined upon a fallen airplane and its passenger lying in front of it.
Major Evans opened his eyes. He then shut them again, seeing as how the sun was blazing right into them.
"Ugh... where am I?"
Suddenly, he remembered. He quickly sat up.
"Training flight... Bermuda Triangle... lightning storm... plane crash..."
He turned around and saw his plane. It had landed on its wheels, as hoped, but it was still in pretty bad shape.
"God damn it!" He got up. "My plane's ruined. How am I going to get back to the others?"
He looked around. Wherever I am, he thought.
"Well, I sure hope that the smoke from the airplane has sent a signal to tell them where I am! You know, I should stop worrying. I bet they're coming for me right now."
...
"Are you sure?"
The yellow pegasus was now talking to a lavender unicorn with a dark purple mane.
"Yes, I'm positive, Twilight," said the pegasus.
"Hmm..."
The unicorn known as Twilight thought for a minute. Then her horn started glowing as she levitated up to a bookshelf. Numerous books were thrown by her magical powers off the shelf until, frustrated, Twilight came back down.
"I have nothing in my books that say a thing about it," said Twilight. "Do you think maybe your dragon is back, Fluttershy?"
"No," said Fluttershy. "I think my words made it leave. Plus, the smoking dissipated a while after I saw it, so it can't be the dragon."
"Okay," said Twilight. "Go get the rest of the team. I have a feeling that this is important."
"Wha's gon' be impor'ant?"
Twilight and Fluttershy turned to see another unicorn and two Earth ponies. The Earth pony who spoke wore a cowboy hat and had freckles, orange fur, and a blonde mane. The unicorn had white fur and a purple mane. The other Earth pony had a reddish mane and bright pink fur.
"You arrived just in time," said Twilight. She turned to the orange Earth pony. "Applejack, a while ago Fluttershy heard an explosion and saw smoke. I thought it might be the dragon from a year ago, but Fluttershy doesn't believe it."
"Well, I don't reckon the dragon'd be coming back, for he'd've no reason to," said Applejack. "Myself, I thought it was a forest fire, and it died down because the fire d'partment got to it."
"You saw it, too?" Twilight was baffled.
"Not just me," said Applejack. "All of us!" She nodded at the white unicorn. "Tell 'er, Rarity."
"It was absolutely dreadful!" Rarity shuddered. "The explosion knocked me into the mud!"
"Okay, we're going to have to look into it," said Twilight. "Where's Rainbow?"
Suddenly, a blue pegasus with a rainbow mane flew in really quickly. As she did, she crashed into one of the shelves, knocking some of the books off of it. She landed on her hooves.
"Guys! I have to tell you something!"
"What is it, Rainbow Dash?" said Twilight.
"I'm sure you all know about the explosion," said Rainbow Dash.
"Yes," said Twilight. "We were just talking about it when you came in. Do you know anything about the cause of the explosion?"
"As a matter of fact," said Rainbow Dash, "I was practicing my flying when I saw something. It's hard to explain, but it appeared that there was a green flash of light and a flaming ball of fire came from it!"
"Whoa," gasped Twilight. "Alien invaders, you think?"
"I'm not done yet," interrupted Rainbow Dash. "As if all that wasn't odd enough, when the fireball was falling to the ground I saw something come out of it and float to the ground instead. I would've gotten closer but I didn't want to get burnt to death."
"Ooh!" said the pink Earth pony. "Aliens are invading!"
"I guess you could put it that way, Pinkie Pie," said Twilight, "but--"
Pinkie Pie interrupted. "Do you think they like cupcakes?"
"Pinkie, if there are aliens, I doubt they have even heard of cupcakes!" yelled Twilight. Pinkie backed off. "As I was saying, I have never heard of any 'alien invasion' in any of the ancient prophecies, which gives this situation even more urgency."
"It could just be a meteor," said Rarity.
"It could, but that wouldn't explain the bright flash of green light." Twilight paced back and forth. "We're going down there. Spike!"
A baby dragon came running down the stairs. "Yes?"
"Spike, we're going to leave for a while to investigate about an explosion," said Twilight. "When we get back, I want you to write a letter to Princess Celestia about our findings."
"Sure thing," said Spike.
"Wait a minute!" exclaimed Rainbow Dash.
"What?" said Twilight.
"Guys," said Rainbow Dash. "I don't know how to say this to you, but I would feel better going down there alone."
"But Rainbow, we've always been a team!"
"I know! I would just like to prove myself to you, to prove that I can be sent on missions alone."
"Your loyalty is not in question, Rainbow."
"Come on! This will give you the chance to write a letter to Celestia about the explosion before we find anything! Can't you please just send me by myself?"
Twilight sighed. "Fine, you can go, but I'm sending Rarity and Applejack with you."
"I don't need supervision!"
"Rainbow, you'd better be glad I'm letting you go alone in the first place."
"Fine."
As Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Rarity left, Rainbow mumbled, "I hope I'm not too fast for you."
Twilight turned back to Spike. "Spike, you heard her. Start writing."

Dear Princess Celestia,

Earlier today, we heard an explosion coming from at least a mile away. We are still unsure about why the explosion occured, but some new findings, such as a fireball coming out of a green flash of light beforehand, may suggest that creatures from other worlds have found us-- an "alien invasion" of sorts. I await your immediate response.

Your pupil,

Twilight Sparkle.