• Published 20th Dec 2013
  • 2,020 Views, 60 Comments

The Long Lost Rainbow - Ribe_FireRain



The Rainbow family has thousands of family members in its history, but Rainbow Dash is going to find out something she never even knew, something her parents never told her. She had a brother. Looks like she isn't a lone child, after all.

  • ...
4
 60
 2,020

Sunny With A Chance Of Crash Landings?

Author's Note:

Written by: LemonStone (Me)

Edited by: The very talented Pizzy1334

I used to be LemonStone when I wrote this, and, truthfully, I sucked at writing at the time, so as much as it may diminish the originality of the story, I'm going to redo some chapters when I can, as most of my time is taken up with life, etc.

The morning sun shined down gloriously upon Sweet Apple Acres as the farm pony, Applejack began her daily routine of apple bucking for the monthly harvest, ready to sell the delectable and juicy fruits to the town ponies.

Applejack stood outside, inhaling the crisp, cold morning breeze as her blonde mane drifted softly with it. She had her hat tilted on the back of her head as she looked up at the blue morning's sky, adorned with fluffy and puffy, white clouds that drifted aimlessly with the winds.

''Lovely morning to go buckin'.'' she smiled to herself as she stepped off of the porch of the farmhouse and trotted towards the apple orchard, still looking up at the sky when she couldn't help but hear a noise in the distance catch her attention and cause her ear to twitch as it picked it up.

A flap of what sounded like wings could be heard from a distance. Applejack raised her head, scanning the skies for the source of the noise when she heard a scream from above. She turned her head again to face what appeared to be a stallion.

She couldn't tell who it was due to lack of visibility, but knew something was wrong and about to happen.

The sound of wings became increasingly louder as he slowly emerged from the sky and even closer to the farmland as he flew at a low altitude. He seemed to be flying shakily as he came close enough for Applejack to get a better view of the mysterious figure, and she could identify what appeared to be a damaged or hurt wing.

Within moments, the figure of the stallion contacted with the trees upon a failed attempt at landing, and he was hit by branch after branch, the appendages of the trees collapsing with loud, splitting cracks and crackles of wood as he collided with them, a plume of leaves being thrown up and scattered about in his wake before planting his muzzle in the ground.

Applejack gasped as she witnessed the painful drop and struggle and ran over to where he landed, ready to offer any aid she could provide.

As she got closer, she could clearly see him. His coat was a colour similar to Rainbow Dash's but only a touch lighter, at an off-white shade. His mane was made up of all the colours of the rainbow whilst his cutie mark was a white cloud with pretty rainbow coloured lightning streaks striking from it, aimed in every direction as the colours shined luminously.

''Hey! Ya'll alright? Need a hoof?'' she asked in a concerned tone.

He grunted painfully as he picked his muzzle out of the dirt, giving his head a soft shake to loosen any bits of dirt and muck that may have been thrown into his mane. He blinked his emerald eyes a couple of times before directing his gaze towards the farmpony with a sheepish smile.

Applejack gave a small smile, too, thankful that he wasn't hurt. She held a hoof out to him in offer to help him out the dirt, to which he thankfully accepted.

As he got back on all fours, he retracted his wings back to his sides, only to cringe in pain as he held a hoof up to his left, aching wing, able to feel that something wasn't quite right with it. Applejack winced as her eyes landed on a few raised patches of skin and fur on his wing, clearly where his bones popped out of place or were fractured during his fall.

The stallion cringed, looking towards his crippled wing. ''Ow.'' He said through gritted teeth, his voice low and he turned back to face Applejack.

''Looks like ya wing's broken.'' She said softly and concernedly. ''Does anythin' else feel broken or injured?'' She asked worriedly, her voice soft and measured.

''N-No, no, I think I'm good.'' He said, his voice holding a shiver as he spoke, due to the pain running through his nerves, but he tried to toughen it out. ''Sorry about...that.'' He looked behind him guiltily, his eyes landing on the damaged and dismembered trees.

''Don't worry yourself, it wasn't yer fault.'' Applejack said. She looked over his features. ''What's your name, anyway? Ah don't think Ah've ever met ya'll before, but ya look mighty familiar.''

That caught his attention. ''Um...how so, if I may ask?'' He inquired, almost cautiously and curiously.

''Rainbow mane, light blue coat and pegasus wings.'' Applejack pointed to each of his features as she said them.

''Y-Yes...? I don't really see how this relates to anything, miss, but my name may have some interest to you.'' The stallion said with a raised brow. ''I'm Rainbow Strike.'' He said, a soft smile upon his lips and he held out a hoof towards the farmpony.

''Rainbow Strike?'' Her eyes went wide with shock and surprise. ''Rainbow Dash has a brother?'' She said out loud, raising her own brow and tapping her chin in thought. ''Why didn't she ever say anything? Ah didn't even know she had any siblings.''

Strike sighed sadly. ''About that.'' He started slowly. ''She never knew me, and we've never personally met. As a matter of fact, I've not been back home since thirteen years ago.'' He said, his voice dowsed in sadness. ''It's a long story, and I came back to town to meet her.'' He lied partially. Well, not really, but it wasn't like he was in a position to come out all at once with her past to this mare, was he?

''Now, hold on a minute! Ya'll may look the same as Dash, but ya sure don't have no proof of how to confirm your identity!'' She objected, narrowing her eyes at him. ''Ah jus' happen to be friends with Rainbow Dash, an' of all the days Ah've known her, not once has she said to me that she has a brother, an' now ya'll just up and fall outta the sky? Plainly out of the blue?'' She eyed him suspiciously. ''So, prove it.''

He backed up at her piercing glare, his brain sending all forms of warning signs, telling him he should leave. ''M-My...my mane? It's only inherited by my family, by which I mean mine and Dash's family...and I...'' He paused, inhaling a long, deep breath and then exhaling through his nostrils. ''Look, I don't hold anything against you for feeling this way, given the almost other-worldly circumstances, but I swear, I am a family member of Dash's. You can at least have my word on that one. I'm no spy or anything of the sort, and I only came back to town to meet her, and perhaps find my parents.'' He said honest-heartedly.

Applejack scanned him up and down for a moment, suspiciously gazing him in the eyes. ''Right. Fine, Rainbow Strike,'' she said slowly. ''Ah believe ya. For now.'' She said with a snap. ''Don't go ahead and break my trust while ya have it.''

Strike edged back another pace or two. ''Y-Yeah. Sure thing, miss.''

''Mah name's Applejack.'' She held out a hoof and he raised his own, sharing a bump.

''Pleasure.''