• Published 20th Dec 2013
  • 2,020 Views, 60 Comments

The Long Lost Rainbow - Ribe_FireRain



The Rainbow family has thousands of family members in its history, but Rainbow Dash is going to find out something she never even knew, something her parents never told her. She had a brother. Looks like she isn't a lone child, after all.

  • ...
4
 60
 2,020

One Last Strike (Alternate Version)

The following morning, Rainbow Strike was able to leave the Ponyville hospital. His hooves didn't feel any better, but at least the pain when he tried to walk subsided to a bearable level. When he left his room, he proceeded towards the exit, and upon going in that direction, he noticed Applejack in the waiting area. What she was doing there, he had no clue, but he brushed the thought off and came towards her, limping a little.

''Mornin', Strike. Feel any better?'' She asked him with a smile, to which he returned weakly.

''Yeah, I guess so. So...how come you're here? Waiting for Rainbow or something?''

''No, actually. I was jus' waiting for you. Doctor said you'd be fine ta leave early.'' She caught Strike's expression and cocked her head. ''You...er...you alright?''

''Hrmm? Uh, oh...yeah. I'm fine. Its just that I thought Rainbow would be good to leave with us. She's not still here is she?''

''She left early this morning. Don't worry about her, Strike, she's alright.'' She smiled reassuringly at him, but Applejack could see that he still looked worried about something. ''You sure you're okay?''

''Yeah. I...just wanna get outta here, AJ. I don't like hospitals...''

Applejack chuckled a little at that as they both left the hospital and trotted for the Golden Oaks Library.

Yep, he sure is the same as Rainbow Dash...


Arriving at the library, Strike and Applejack came through the door and almost immediately, Rainbow was hugging her brother tightly. He hugged her back, but then looked at her bloody, bandaged hoof and his saddened look didn't go unnoticed by the others.

''You okay, Strike? You feel cold.'' Rainbow asked as she looked at his expression.

''What is it with people asking me that today? I'm fine. Just a little tired.'' Strike said, and it was evadable that it sounded like something was wrong. He just hoped that they didn't know that. ''Rainbow...um...look, I know you're worried about me, but I assure you that I'm fine.''

''If you say so...'' Rainbow said right before Strike hugged her. Celestia he feels cold...he doesn't seem okay. Maybe we can talk about it later...something is definitely wrong with him. I just know it. Braking from the embrace, she looked into his eyes, sensing the hurt within them. She wanted to help him, she really did, but would he let her?

''Strike, can you come back with me for a while?''

''I guess I can. I left my things there and need to get them, anyway.''

''So, sorry girls, I guess I'll see you all tomorrow?'' Rainbow said as she turned to face her friends who exchanged glances.

''Sure thing, Rainbow. See you tomorrow.'' Twilight said, sounding a little disappointed.

''Great. See ya later.''

And then Strike and Rainbow flew from the library and headed back home.


Arriving back home, Rainbow and Strike sat together in the living room, next to the table that was had Strike's possessions neatly organized atop it. Rainbow cringed a little inside at some of the weapons he had. Especially that hunting knife that looked sharper than a manticor claw. Strike however just looked uncomfortable being alone with her, let alone being with her in her house.

''So what's wrong, Strike? You keep saying you're alright, but I can easily tell that you aren't. Something is eating at you, and I can tell that its bad. So what's wrong?'' She said as she placed a hoof to his shoulder and watched him fidget with his hooves uneasily as he avoided making eye contact.

''I'm not really comfortable talking about this, Rainbow. I hope you know that.'' And then he looked up at her, seeing her soft smile. He sighed loudly through his nostrils and tried to relax.

''Please, Strike? Wouldn't you feel better if you just talked about it?''

''No.'' He replied bluntly. ''Talking doesn't help you forget, I thought you knew that, Rainbow.''

She frowned at him, and he just looked away. Closing his eyes, and exhaling slowly, a faint, single tear made its way down his cheek. He rubbed it cheek with a hoof, wiping the tear off, and Rainbow placed a hoof to his shoulder.

Her voice was a soft whisper, ''This is about yesterday isn't it?'' Her response to the question was a simple, slow and sad nod from Strike. Turning to face her, she saw the tears in his eyes.

''Rainbow...I...I'm just worried about you.''

''About me? Why's that?''

''Well...look at your hoof for starters. He stabbed a knife into it and twisted it! Do you even know how painful it was to watch that be done to you? Whipper did it, and I couldn't stop him!'' He told her, taking her aback as he gripped both her shoulders with his burned ones, ignoring the pain that shot through them, ''He was gonna kill you!''

A little shocked, Rainbow struggled to find her voice. She had no idea that Strike was beating himself up over that, but why was he, anyway? She was alive and so was he, so why was he so pissed about it?

''You know, when I electrocuted Whipper, I was actually hoping that the electricity would kill me, too! My life has just been a mess since I left. We could of avoided all of this and just lived happily, but no...I had to be so stupid as to run off and bring back hell with me! Because of that, I put your friends in a tough spot, Pinkie Pie hates me and thinks I'm a murderer, and I nearly got you killed!''

''Strike!'' Rainbow nearly exclaimed as she forced herself from his grip, glaring at him. ''It isn't your fault! Why would you even say that? You wanted to die when you took down Whipper? But...why? Why didn't you tell me about this earlier?'' She asked him, looking a little hurt.

''I tried...I couldn't walk because the electricity burned my hooves to hell.'' He looked away, sniffling, ''I don't wanna lose you, Rainbow. I love you.'' Strike moped as he wiped tears from his eyes with a hoof and sniffled, turning back to Rainbow's shocked yet beautiful gaze. ''I love you, Rainbow....''

''Oh, Strike...'' She leaned down and hugged him, clinging tightly to his body, kissing his cheek. ''I love you, too.''

''...And that's why I've gotta go.''

''Wait...WHAT?! Go? Go where?!''

''Someplace. There's nothing left for me here, Rainbow. I shouldn't of come back and troubled you with any of this stuff. Its not you, alright? Its me. I screwed up, and I've gotta repay the debt for it. I gotta leave...''

He slowly picked himself off the couch and took his possessions, placing them back in his saddlebags and strapped them on, Rainbow watching him silently as her eyes started to tear up. He looked back at her, nuzzling her cheek and kissing her on the nose.

''Don't worry, Rainbow. You'll see me again someday. Right now, I have someone I need to see one last time.'' He turned, heading for the balcony of the cloud palace and opened his wings, ready to take off, but stopped as he looked back at Rainbow who was crying. It melted his heart, to say the least, and he did feel guilty for leaving her. In all the time he's been here, he has been the only part in her life that made her complete. She was happy, and seeing him go like that was destroying her. Sighing, he walked back in and picked her from the couch, holding her tight against his chest.

''S-S-Strike?'' Rainbow asked, confusedly as she looked up at him, seeing that gentle smile.

''You know what, Rainbow? I can't leave you on your own like this.''

''What do you mean?''

''I'm staying. If I leave, you'll just be lonely again. I can't do that to you.'' He said as he rubbed his cheek against hers. ''I'll tell you what, why don't you come with me for a flight to Canterlot? I've gotta go drop something off somewhere.''

She nodded, a hopeful smile on her face. Helping her up, they both took to the skies, staying side by side and heading towards Canterlot, to go to one specific place: Remedy's grave.