• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 3,084 Views, 50 Comments

My Little Death Note - Caberea



Twilight returns to Ponyville to find a book that will change her life and those around her forever.

  • ...
7
 50
 3,084

Dismissal

“Leave me alone Ryuk, I’ve already given you another death note and I honestly can’t be damned giving you yet another if you’re just going to go ahead and lose it.”

The Old Man had gotten sick of this a long time ago, though honestly he couldn’t fault Ryuk for those times he had “Accidentally” dropped his death note into the world of the living. Even he had to admit that the Shinigami world had become unbelievably dull and boring, and he was the one who had first created it.

During the time he had existed he had been known by a great many names, though now he was only known as The Old Man. He wasn’t sure if he could even remember what he had once been called, nor could he be bothered attempting the feat. All he needed to know was those who were born in the living world.

Even now, The Old Man was using his Shinigami 'magic' to write down the names of everypony that came into existence in Equestria. It was a scheme he had developed ages ago, when he had been feared and revered as a god of divine punishment. The idea was so deviously simple that he was rather pleased he had been the first to discover it, though being the first Shinigami no doubt helped with that. All he need do was write down the names of ponies a few moments before they died and the seconds remaining of their life were his.

When applied to just one pony, it proved to be a simple waste of time. However, when applied to every pony in existence, it gave him a lifespan longer than any other being. It was a genius idea, as the other Shinigami could still write names in their death note’s and gain that lifespan, but all he would lose was a few seconds off of his. After all…what were a few seconds when you had eternity?

Though an eternity being pestered by Ryuk was not quite what he had in mind.

“Oh c’mon, it can’t be that hard to make another.”

“It can and it is Ryuk, the creation of a death note requires the souls of precisely 13,000 ponies who are not killed by the death note. I would need to stop writing names in my own death note for ages, and it would fall upon me to wander around the world of the living collecting their souls for years. To be entirely honest with you, I just can’t be bothered putting that much of my time into a death note for a Shinigami far too absent minded to be deserving of that title.”

“Oh…is that so?”

“Yes Ryuk, so you can stop pestering me for another one.”

“So you’re sure you won’t create another death note for me?”

“NO RYUK!!!”

“Then will you do it to get yours back?”

“What!?”

Curse that blasted Shinigami, the whole time he had been explaining the complexities of creating a death note, the bastard had taken his own death note from him.

“Give that back Ryuk, this isn’t some sort of game, I need that death note.”

“So do I, do we have a deal then?”

“For the last time Ryuk, No!”

“Have it your way then.”

Ryuk tossed The Old Man’s death note down into the pit leading to the living world, and before the note was out of the irritating Shinigami's hand The Old Man was already rushing after it.

“Hell damn you Ryuk.”

As the book fell through the world of the living it began to gain speed, The Old Man straining to match it’s descent. He reached out his clawed hand to grab the notebook and…Found himself smashing heavily into the earth. The death note lay right in front of him, technically in his reach, though he knew he would never be able to claim ownership of his death note again.

“Crap! When I get my claws on that Shinigami I’m going to kill him.”

Despite the impossibility of his words, the oath of vengeance made him feel alive somehow inside.



“Twilight Sparkle!”

“huh…what?”

Twilight opened her eyes groggily to find Celestia herself standing before her. Snapping awake Twilight quickly scrambled up from where she had been resting, almost losing her footing on the bright polished flooring beneath her.

“So sorry for falling asleep Princess, it’s just that with all of the advanced magic studying that I’ve been having to do since I started, and having to advance my own research into the study of healing magic, it’s meant I’ve had so little time to sleep, and-”

Twilight fell silent as she realized that she had been starting to blabber.

“Sorry Princess.”

Celestia closed her eyes and sighed to herself. She appreciated the effort that her student put into her studies, but often she would put her studies before her own needs, and having to deal with those results could get very tiring.

“Twilight, I’m not angry with you. You have to calm down and take your studies just a bit less seriously. On that note, how have your friends been, have you been keeping in touch with them?”

Twilight’s silence stretched on longer as she tried to think of an answer that wouldn’t put her at fault. She had not been keeping in touch with her friends, aside from the letter’s she sent them about once a month, she had severed all contact’s with them. She honestly wouldn’t blame her friends if they had forgotten about her. Even she was aware just how much she had neglected the world around her after her advanced studies with Celestia had begun.

In a week it would make the third year that she had been away from Ponyville. She had received numerous messages from Fluttershy asking if she was okay, but she rarely found the time to reply amidst her vast amount of work. She often heard about Rarity’s success with the Carousel Boutique or Rainbowdash’s feats with the Wonderbolt in the Equestrian Inquirer, but would rarely receive any letters from them. Pinkie Pie would frequently send Twilight her latest cooking experiments, and Twilight would always be sure to receive a whopping cake that looked more like a mountain of icing for her birthdays. Applejack seemed to have forgotten about her at least, there was very little contact between the two of them since they had gone their separate ways.

The silence had extended too long to be remedied.

“Twilight! You need to stop this, the whole reason why I sent you to Ponyville in the first place was to get your head out of the books and to make some friends. What was the point of that if the moment your back to studying again you neglect them as if they never existed?”

Twilight cringed before her teacher. Celestia wasn’t the kind of pony to speak harshly to others. Yet she couldn’t really blame the princess for the guilt she felt. She should have tried to get back in touch with them the last time Celestia had discovered the lack of communication between her and her friends. But as soon as she got back to the room Celestia had provided her in the castle, she would once again lose herself in her studies and forget about writing letters to her friends.

Twilight realized how long it had been since she had spoken.

“I’m…so sorry Celestia…I tried…It’s just…”

“No Twilight, I’m sorry. I should have known that this would happen. I know how you get during your studies, and how quickly you can escalate the smallest of your tasks above the rest of your life.”

“I promise I will Celest-”

“Twilight! I’m sorry, but you haven’t left me with any choice. You are to go back to Ponyville and resume your studies on friendship at once.”

“But Princess…”

“Enough Twilight, it pains me enough to send you away like this, but I can’t let you continue to live in such an isolation. Please Twilight, don’t make this any harder for me than it already is.”

Twilight felt the dismissal in her voice and returned to her quarters in the palace, dragging her hooves with a slow walk. As she entered her room she was greeted by a worried Spike. Though Spike had matured a lot during their time at the castle, he still retained the slow aging process that dragon’s naturally experienced. Spike now measured up to her head and Twilight had found that he could be quite useful for moving heavy objects, Though with the strength of her magic now that was hardly ever required.

“What happened Twilight?”

Spike could always tell when she was down, though at the moment the sadness she felt was almost tangible, it’s presence weighing down on her. How could she have let things come to this? She was back to square one; she was once again a loner, once again dismissed from Celestia’s care. It was almost exactly the same as when she had first come to Ponyville…only this time her old friends would be far too busy with their ambitions to greet her.

“Spike, start packing your bags, we’re going back to Ponyville.”