• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 3,084 Views, 50 Comments

My Little Death Note - Caberea



Twilight returns to Ponyville to find a book that will change her life and those around her forever.

  • ...
7
 50
 3,084

Star of sadness

Twilight Sparkle appeared with a flash back in the library, her steps measured calmly as she paced around the library.

What had just happened? Celestia, her teacher, the once sole leader of Equestria, had asked her for forgiveness. It all seemed just a bit much. Could it have all been some elaborate lie to fool her, but then why would she have even mentioned the Death Note. Had Celestia already known about her discovery of the Death Note, but then why didn’t Celestia confront her directly. As her student she knew better than any pony that she wouldn’t be able to defeat the princess.

No, she couldn’t keep on thinking like this; Celestia had asked her for forgiveness because she honestly felt sorry for all that she had done. Because she didn’t want her student to hate her.

Her student…

That was right, Twilight still belonged to the princess. Celestia had thought that if she didn’t confess everything to Twilight that she would lose her hold on her student. That was it, but Twilight wasn’t going to let her continue, Celestia didn’t know that Twilight had a Death Note too. All that she needed to was write her name in the Death Note and she would be free from her prison, she would be free to ascend as a goddess…

But how could she kill Celestia?

Twilight shut out the murderous voice from her mind. Those ponies that had assaulted her had deserved it; other ponies like them deserved it too. But not the princess. Celestia had been like a second mother to her, she wasn’t going to kill her to free herself from some false cage that she had envisioned for herself. She could trust her teacher, as her teacher had trusted her. She would do it, before that horrid part of her returned.

“Spike, write a letter to Celestia. I need to tell her, and you, about that book.”

She waited for her assistant to question her as to what book she meant, or to complain about how they had only just been with the Celestia.

Silence…

Twilight searched around the library, where had her assistant gone? It couldn’t be, how could it have happened, she was always so organized, how could she have overlooked something so obvious.

She had left Spike at the palace
.
--------------------------------------

“No-no-no-no-no-no-no. This can’t be happening, I can’t have left Spike there. How could I have forgotten my number one assistant?”

But she had and she knew it, she had somehow managed to forget to teleport Spike back to the library with her amidst all the chaos that had been surrounding her life lately.

“Okay, everything’s going to be okay. Spike will know that I didn’t mean to leave him there, and then they’ll send him on the train back here, or maybe even the chariot. He’ll be fine.”

Twilight began to cradle herself, to at least hold her physical-self together, even if her mind was falling apart.

“But what if he isn’t. What if he’s gotten himself lost? But he’s in the palace, he’s been there for ages, he would know his way about the place perfectly, and even if he didn’t; Celestia would help him.”

But what about Luna? Luna may have found a veritable wealth of friends in Ponyville, but Canterlot and the palace had been a different matter. What if Luna had kept Spike with her so that they could have fun together, or worse, what if Luna was using Spike as her assistant?

“No, I’m being ridiculous.” Twilight knew that she was talking out loud to herself, she didn’t care. “Spike’s probably on his way back here right now. That’s it, I’m just worrying over nothing.”

A voice drifted over from the bedroom, that arrogant, irritating voice unmistakable for anypony else; Star.

“Oh would you just be quiet, it doesn’t matter what happens to that little pet of yours, and it’s your own fault for not taking better care of it.”

The sea green mare shut the door to the bedroom as she said the last words, walking up to Twilight to likely see just how far she could push the purple unicorn before she snapped. Twilight abruptly decided to hit that pony where it hurt.

“Would that ‘better care’ be the same kind your mother received from you?”

Twilight could see that her words had struck home, maybe Star had actually known what the book was and regretted her actions, or she was still feeling upset about the whole situation, but regardless of the source, tears burst into Stars eyes.

“You heartless bitch.”

Star swung a hoof straight at Twilights face, having expected more of a verbal quarrel, all Twilight was able to do was lean away from the attack. The solid thwack of the impact reverberated throughout the library, leaving Twilight to stagger back. Under normal circumstances Twilight would have stopped, apologized profusely, and dropped the topic entirely. But Star was not a normal pony, and the circumstances lately had been anything but normal.

“’It’s your own fault for not taking better care of it’, isn’t that right Star?” Imitating the green unicorn’s voice so well that it surprised even her. “Perhaps if you’d stopped thinking about how the world should revolve around you for two seconds you could have helped her. Instead she died, and you couldn’t help her one bit, you were just too wrapped up in yourself. I bet you didn’t even love her.”

Twilight wasn’t sure which of the two surprised her more, the fact that Star actually let her finish what she had been saying, or the fact that she had actually said all of that. It had all been hate-filled accusations designed specifically to hurt the pony. Twilight thought on why she had said all of that, and abruptly decided that she didn’t care, Star had deserved everything she had said.

Star’s downcast face looked straight at Twilight, her eyes filled with hurt and anger. Tears flowing freely from them as she took in the terrible words that Twilight had told her. Star’s right hoof made a small step forwards, shaking throughout the whole movement.

Die…

Star’s whispered words were only barely audible, but still managed to send a chill down Twilight’s spine. Star took another small step towards the purple unicorn, before stopping suddenly.

“Just DIE!!!”

Star lunged after Twilight, the unicorn prepared for the blow dodging successfully away, before using her magic to tie Star’s hooves together underneath her, causing the unicorn to fall to the ground from her momentum. It was rather pathetic really; all of that anger and this was all that Star could manage?

“When we met you seemed to know all about me Star. You should have known not to pick a fight with me too. But no, instead you decided to try and make my life a living hell from the moment I got here, so the question is: What can I do to repay you for it?”

Star writhed on the ground, horn glowing as she tried to escape from her bonds.

“It’s not going to be as easy as a simple teleport Star. Those bands are attached to your body entirely, any teleportation spell is just going to take them with you.”

However, Star seemed to have an entirely different plan, as with a puff of smoke, a large fiery orb burst into existence above the bound unicorn.

“Let me go or you’re precious books burn”

To maintain a spell of that strength would take quite a large amount of magical power, and would even put a strain on Twilight herself if she attempted to keep it up. Yet Star didn’t even seem to be exerting the slightest amount of effort to create the fire, or maintaining it. There was no way that anypony, except for maybe the Princesses’, could possess that amount of magical prowess.

“You really must think I’m an idiot. Your own arrogance has given you away Star, You’re spell is an illusion.”

Star smiled smugly at Twilight, clearly trying to psyche out the unicorn as the orb moved slowly closer to the books, but Twilight wasn’t going to be fooled. If Star had any brains in her head, she would make smoke appear as the fire touched the books, giving the impression that they were burning in order to make Twilight panic and release the mare. It wasn’t going to work.

“Have it your way then.” Star said as the fiery orb touched the first of the books, causing flames to slowly curl around the book, and the pages to curl up before becoming little more than black cinders.

Twilight was beginning to almost admire this unicorn for her determination. It really was a realistic looking spell, the way the flames danced and the smoke curled up, if it weren’t for the lack of strain on Star’s face she would have thought that it was all real.

However, Twilight’s admiration turned to panic as she began to actually smell the smoke, and felt the temperature of the room rising gradually. Regular illusions couldn’t cause another pony to smell or feel things that weren’t there, and even if Star were casting sensory spells, the combined effort would be nearly equal to just casting a spell of that scale in the first place.

Twilight panicked and quickly released the bonds around Star and began using her magic to eliminate the oxygen around the fires that had begun to build up. Snuffing out a decent amount of the fire, however, as she released Star, the fiery orb of destruction that had caused all this suddenly faded away.

Star left the library, Twilight still putting out what portions of the fire remained, but before she did so she paused at the door and called to the purple unicorn.

“I think now we both know who shouldn’t pick a fight with who, don’t we?”

And with that the source of all her frustrations left her alone to fix the destruction they had caused.

-------------------------------

Twilight sat staring at the burnt mass of all the books that she had been too late to save; 151. There had been one hundred and fifty one books that had been lost in that moment; some of them would likely never grace her library again with their presence. Was it her fault? Could she have stopped Star if she had only let the unicorn go, or would the mare have done it regardless just to irritate Twilight?

Why had she provoked Star with those words? Yes, the unicorn had insulted both her and Spike at least a dozen times in the short time they had known each other, but she should have been better than that. It was with both a grateful sigh and worry that Twilight took out the Death Note from her saddlebags, and stared at where at the burnt shelf where it would have been placed otherwise. She had unfortunately lost her hiding place for it, but at least it was still intact. Twilight abruptly decided that she would keep the Death Note concealed in the hidden pocket of her saddlebags, just in case Star decided to attempt to burn down the library again.

Unfortunately, her encounter with Star had re-awakened Twilight’s concerns as to whether Star was in fact a Shinigami or not. Tenshura had said that a half-Shinigami was capable of incredible magical might, and Star’s demonstration was certainly nothing short of that. However, it seemed strange that a half-Shinigami would have little to do besides hanging around the library and irritating other ponies with their arrogance. So if Star wasn’t a Shinigami, what in Equestria was she?