• Published 13th Mar 2012
  • 3,085 Views, 50 Comments

My Little Death Note - Caberea



Twilight returns to Ponyville to find a book that will change her life and those around her forever.

  • ...
7
 50
 3,085

Another Shinigami?

“I’m…so sorry Applejack.”

There weren’t really any words that she could say. Her best friend had lost their sister, and Twilight knew that there was no magic she could use to help Applejack. Unless…maybe no unicorn magic could help, but Shinigami magic was a different matter.

“Applejack, was there anything in those papers about what would happen in the case of her “Parents” death?”

Applejack gaped at her for a second before answering her.

“It really has been quite some time since we’ve seen each other. I never thought you would even think about killin’ somepony, never.” Applejack sighed before continuing “But even if you were to, it wouldn’t help one bit. The papers say that in the event of their death, the care of their children will fall to their oldest sibling on their mother’s side.”

“What if those papers were to change?”

Twilight had the feeling Applejack would have gaped again, had not she only just implied that she would kill somepony to get her sister back. But there really wasn’t any other way that she could think to get Applebloom back. If they actually believed that she was their little filly then there was no way that she could make them part with her willingly.

“Twi’ I don’t know when it happened, but you’ve changed. A lot. The Twilight I know wouldn’t be saying these things, she wouldn’t be wanting to kill.”

“I’m sorry Applejack, I wasn’t thinking. It’s just, coming back to find that you’ve lost your sister, and most of your farm…what wouldn’t you do to get them back?”

“I wouldn’t kill somepony.”

And that was the end of the conversation. Twilight went to leave the house, forcing Spike to relinquish the stool after he had just gotten comfortable. But before she had left the room Applejack called her.

“Twilight, I’m sorry ‘bout leavin’ you with all of these problems after you only just got back here. It’s just things have been hard on us since you’ve been gone, and none of the others have any way they can help either…though none of them suggested what you did.”

Twilight kept listening, letting the matter slide.

“Just so you know, things have gotten really busy for RD and Rarity, so don’t be surprised if they don’t have time to catch up with you.”

At this Spike’s mood almost visible grew grim.

“But don’t worry, all of us manage to make time to go to the Spa on Sunday mornings, we can all catch up with each other then. I bet you learnt a whole lot of new spells and stuff while studying with the Princess and it’ll be nice hearing how things have been with you after all this time.”

Twilight was relieved that there was that hurdle gone, even if it had come at the cost of a new problem for her. How was she going to force Appleblooms new parents to entrust legal care of the filly back to the apple family? She doubted that she would be able to just make them give Applebloom back, which meant that her only option was to kill them. But that wouldn’t work either unless she could get them to write something in their will to cause that.

“Bye Applejack.”

“See ya ‘round Twi.”

---------------------------------------------------------------

There was both an upside and a downside to the news that she could catch up with her friends. Obviously there was the upside that Spike would be able to talk to Rarity, and not be thrown into emotional turmoil, but she too had a chance to talk to her friends. A part of her that she hadn’t noticed in far too long leapt with joy at that thought. Of course the downside was that today was Friday…which left two days of pondering her own thoughts, if she included today.

Not that Twilight would normally have been worried about that. Normally she would have welcomed time to gather her mind, and manage it as neatly and perfectly as she could. But since she had encountered the Death Note, she wasn’t sure it was really possible to do that anymore.

She was aware of some presence in her mind, something that had definitely not been there before. She wasn’t exactly sure if it was something new that had come from being able to bring death to anypony she chose, or some strange psychotic part of herself that she had locked away from the world. Either way it was something that she didn’t want.

It was a strange feeling to be at war with her own mind. She had always known that there were different parts of her, different emotions that governed how she acted. There was the perfectly studious and organized part of her that had made her Celestia’s prized pupil in the first place. Then there was the irrational part of her that could take things too far and throw her mind into being a complete and utter mess…But there was something different about this part of her. It felt alien. Wrong.

This new part of her seemed just as rational as she normally was, just as calculated and organized, if not more; yet as if to contradict itself, this new part of her definitely held some insanity. After all, what else could have prompted her to declare herself as a Goddess? Even if it hadn’t been in public, the very thought was too ridiculous to frame in her mind. Maybe she should get some professional help? But then that would mean that she would have to tell them about the Death Note, and then what would happen?

Twilight was too busy lost in her thoughts to realize that they had already arrived back at the library until she slammed into the door. Today was not turning out to be a good day for her face.

“Are you sure we should be coming back now Twilight? Star still might be upset about her mother.”

Of course, it had completely slipped her mind. She had been planning to get some kind of a gift for the poor mare. She had forgotten entirely about it amidst her worries.

“It must have been hard for her, losing her mother, but she can’t just isolate herself from the rest of Equestria. If she won’t come out of it on her own, then I’m just going to have to help her.”

After all, sometimes the best gift could be the right words, and she had the feeling that Spike was viewing her with some kind of admiration in his eyes. It felt good to finally be back to her old self, and she was going to make sure that she made up for all of that time with the Princess. That and it would be good to finally have Star stop annoying her at every interval.

As they entered the house they found it strangely devoid of any noise, and on inspection of the place they found Star was nowhere to be seen.

“I guess she must have gotten over it then.”

It would have been nice to have at least been able to help her have gotten through that time. It was heartbreaking enough for her when she had needed to leave her brother, but what Star was going through was far worse. Twilight searched about the room for something to indicate where the unicorn had gone, perhaps a note or something to tell them not to worry about her. But it occurred to her that Star was not the kind of mare to give information to other ponies that easily. Even so, there was a letter that had not been there before, albeit one that was not addressed to her.

It had been torn to shreds, and had Twilight not had both the patience and organizational skills that she possessed, she doubted she would have been able to piece it back together.

“-Mirage Lulamoon

It’s so hard to believe that you’re another year older, as I could hardly tell by looking. Throughout my life you were always there to show me the way, to teach me your tricks, and to help with my own. Someday I’ll make you proud mom, until then, keep being one of the greatest mares in Equestria.

- Your little Star”

The letter seemed very ordinary, other than a blatant disregard for the laws of writing good letters. Except for one small difference; the paper was ripped. Not ripped as if there had been something on the page that she had wanted to get rid of, but ripped as if it had been torn out of a book. Twilight sighed and shook her head as she thought of whatever poor book it was that Star had knowingly destroyed…Wait a second!

This page was entirely devoid of writing on it, other than that which Star had put in herself. Some books may have had extra pages for note-taking and the like in them, but she doubted that Star would have specifically looked for a book with pages like that. Even if she had, there wasn’t any book she knew that spaced out lines like this, and she doubted that Star would or could have done them herself. No book except for one.

Twilight rushed down into the basement, quickly drawing the Death Note out of its place in the shelf and slamming the door behind her. Just because she needed to confirm her suspicions didn’t mean she had to stop being cautious about knowledge of the Death Note getting out.

Twilight flipped through the pages quickly, hoping against hope that she wasn’t right.

She was.

There it lay open in front of here, obvious as day. The page of the Death Note that had been torn out, a perfect fit for the letter. Twilight wasn’t sure what it was that caused what happened next. Maybe it was having the Death Note back in her grasp again. Maybe it was the strain of the events of today causing her to snap.

She laughed.

It wasn’t a laughter she had ever expected to hear from herself. This was the laugh of a killer, someone who took pleasure in death and was clearly and undeniably insane. It wasn’t cold and heartless though, it was simply that she had never felt so happy before.

Star, the pony she had tried to kill. The pony she had thought about taking her own life away for that very same reason. Star was just like her. She had killed, she was a murderer too.

The laughter grew even more insane.

No, Star wasn’t just like her, Star was worse. All that she had done was brought justice down upon those too vile for her new world to stand. She had done what any good goddess should do, vanquishing the wicked and evil from her pure world. Star had killed her own mother, who by her own words was a perfectly innocent and kind mare, the kind that would have lived in peace in her new world.

But this brought up a problem; one that stopped her laughter abruptly.

How was Star still alive?

Star not only had her name written in the Death note once, but twice, yet the mare still lived. How could that unicorn live through writing her name? She didn’t own the Death Note, Twilight did. Didn’t she? Was that how Star had managed to survive?

“Old man?”

“Yes?”

The Old Man had appeared from inside the Death Note this time, his skull grinning stupidly up at her, while his torso stopped at the ground, his legs faded into the floor.

“Are there any other Death Note’s or Shinigami that would be able to give somepony protection from the Death Note?”

“That depends; do you want the short answer or the long answer?”

“The one that tells me how the hell Star is alive at this moment.”

“Now now, that wasn’t one of the options.”

Twilight slammed her hoof into the Shinigami’s face, but all that resulted in was him phasing back out of her plane of existence, causing her hoof to sharply make contact with the spine of the Death Note.

“The only way a being could live through the effect of the Death Note, other than yourself, is if they were a Shinigami.”

“…you’re telling me that Star is a Shinigami?”

“That’s for you to find out.”

And with that the old man disappeared as abruptly as he had appeared.