• Published 13th Dec 2013
  • 590 Views, 14 Comments

The Equestrian Interviews - Reaps



The ponies we know and love aren't necessarily the ponies we know and love. Here we have my collection of interviews I managed while in Equestria.

  • ...
3
 14
 590

A True Rarity

Chase double-checked to make sure he had his nearly-black mane and clothes clean. He then made sure that he had his quill, ink, and parchment. “Okay, now let’s see if those lessons worked.” Chase stopped outside of the boutique and took a deep breath. After a moment, his horn lit up and the quill and parchment floated in front of him fairly steadily.

Chase smiled and took a moment to work with some basic motions with the quill. Once he felt he could use levitation to write, he nodded to himself and went to open the door. Suddenly Sweetie Belle and Diamond Tiara walked out out, neither of them seeming to notice Chase as they waved back one last time before heading off somewhere.

Chase took mental note of this and headed inside the boutique to a bit of a surprise. “Uh, Rarity?”

Rarity looked up from her book, flicking the ash off her cigarette. She smiled at seeing Chase and beckoned him to a nearby chair. “Oh, come in, come in. Here for the interview, I take it?”

Chase smiled as well and took a seat, pulling out the inkwell and setting it where he felt it would cause the least damage if it tipped. “Of course, but why was Sweetie here? I thought she lived with her parents.”

Rarity allowed a slight smirk as she took a short drag from the cigarette and blew the smoke up, away from her guest. “She does.”

Chase’s expression turned to confusion quickly. “I, uh, I don’t think I follow. Why was she here, then?”

“They really have you all convinced against it, don’t they?”

“Convinced against what, exactly?”

“Well, I’ve already told you, she lives with her mother.”

Chase leaned forward, quickly becoming quite interested. “I hate to sound oblivious, but I hate assuming things. What are you saying, exactly?”

Rarity smiled and took her time to take another drag, letting the smoke lazily drip from her lips before turning back to Chase. “She lives with me, dear. I’m sure you’re able to piece the rest together.”

Chase sat still for a moment before sitting back in the chair. “So, let me get this straight: You’re Sweetie’s mother?”

Rarity gave a simple nod. “I am. The writers for the show didn’t need to know that my parents weren’t hers, and when they assumed she was my sister, well, I had no desire to correct them. Besides, they tossed around the ‘idea’ that I was her mother, and figured that they could do more with her as my little sister.”

“So, all of those stories about her living with you, but still being your sister--”

“Are more correct than the show, yes.”

Chase nodded and the quill leapt to life, dipping carefully in the inkwell and going to work, writing down the new information. As he did this, Rarity put out her cigarette and bookmarked her place in her book before standing and stretching.

“Do you want anything to drink, Chase?”

Chase looked up and smiled. “Oh, uh, sure. That sounds nice. Uh, would you happen to have tea?”

Rarity nodded slightly. “Of course, dear. Would you like black, green, blue, red?”

“Black tea, please. I need something to perk me up a little.”

“I will be a minute. Is that okay with you?”

“It’s fine. It’ll give me time to get everything written down and get my other questions straightened out.”

Rarity smiled and walked to the kitchen while Chase finished up writing down the interview thus far, as well as spending some time getting better used to the levitation spell.


Rarity returned with a kettle and tea set in her own magical grip. She set it down and filled both cups a centimeter short of the brim. She then took her own cup and saucer, Chase following suit with the other and taking a small sip.

“If I can buy tea this good here, I think I’ll just stay and find a job somewhere.” Chase chuckled softly and Rarity softly shook her head with a smile.

“Oh, I’m sure there’s plenty of good tea where you’re from.”

“There probably is. I just haven’t found it, yet.”

Rarity placed her fingers over her mouth and let out a light giggle. “Well, I believe you were here to ask me more than just that, were you not?”

“Right.” Chase looked over his notes and nodded when he found a suitable question to start on. “Okay, I think the first will be something the fans of the show might be interested to see along with knowing you as Sweetie’s mother. Firstly, do you know Sweetie Belle’s relationship with Diamond Tiara? Is it strictly platonic, or…?”

“Sweetie Belle is very open to me about her relationships. From what she tells me, Diamond Tiara is, in fact, her marefriend. Now, since I’m sure somewhere along the lines you’ll want my opinion of the matter: I have no qualms with anyone’s sexuality.

“So long as whoever she is with treats her well, and so long as she is open with me about everything that she deems my business to know. It seems a fair request, I believe.”

Chase nodded, now writing as he listened, now comfortable enough with his abilities to try it. A brief glance at the parchment told him he needed a bit more work, but that he was doing well enough.

“Well, it’s good to know you’re accepting of your daughter’s life and her partner. Forgive me if that term offends you. I know it can cause some problems where I’m from.”

“Not to worry, dear. I understand your meaning.”

“Good. Now, next question. How different are you in reality from the Rarity we know from the show?”

Rarity took a moment to think, taking a sip of her tea as she did. “Hmm, well, I suppose a major difference would be that I feel I’m portrayed to follow a more common ideal of your world and culture. They seem to prefer slimmer figures, whereas you can clearly tell I’m not quite as, um, petite, as they have my character in the show.”

Chase blushed a bit, finally taking notice of the fact that, contrary to his initial expectations, Rarity was rather thick from the waist down. In fact, she hardly matched the “supermodel physique” the show had, indeed, led him to believe she had.

“Uh, well, I guess you’ve got me there. Um…”

“Dear, don’t be so nervous. I know I’m carrying a little bit more weight under my waist. I’m not ashamed. After all, being ‘slim as can be’ around here isn’t exactly something seen as very attractive.”

Chase breathed a slight sigh of relief. “Well, that’s good to know. If I may, though, I would like to say that I’m glad to know you’re not like the ‘ideal’ from my world. I could never be with someone obviously lighter than me. I’d be afraid I’d break them.”

Chase took another sip of his tea and looked his notes over. “Okay, so, figure is different, what about your relationship with Applejack? You two seem to be paired up often by the fans. They probably like the difference in lifestyles and worldviews. How different are these two things, exactly?”

“Oh, Applejack and I get along quite well. In fact, we’ve been great friends for years. If it weren’t for my wish to not further complicate my darling little Belle’s life, I think I might have tried for being with her. Well, that and I’m not sure she isn’t with someone else.”

“Why do you think it would complicate Sweetie Belle’s life?”

“It would be bringing another mare into it as a parental figure, dear. I’m just not sure how she would adapt to it.”

“Well, doesn’t she know Applejack? Aren’t they at least acquaintances?”

“Well, yes, they do know each other. It wouldn’t be as though I were simply bringing a strange mare into Sweetie’s life.”

“I’m no professional, and I’m hardly one to tell you how to manage your life, but if you think it will make you happy, maybe it’s worth a try. Just food for thought.”

Rarity was quiet for a moment and took the time to finish up her tea before filling her cup once more. “I believe I’ll think about it. For now, though, is there anything else you wish to know?”

Chase looked his notes over and shrugged. “No, I guess that’s it, really. Oh! Actually, there’s one thing I want to ask you. This entire time, you’ve not said ‘darling’ once. Is that just something for the show, or do you just only say it once in a while?”

“I will say it once in a while, yes, but they blow it entirely out of proportion. I don’t think I’ve said it in reality over my whole life as much as they’ve had me say it in the show.”

Chase nodded and finished writing down what he needed to before smiling. “Well, then. That’s all. Thank you for the time. I’ll go ahead and start planning my next interview. Is there any chance I might catch Sweetie Belle without Diamond Tiara? I’d kind of like if I could keep these interviews small, you know?”

“If you manage to separate those two, let me know. I’ll buy you a small crate of tea.”

Chase chuckled and scratched the back of his head, a bit thrown off the the mane he still wasn’t quite used to, yet. “Well, two for one is pretty efficient, so I guess it’s not a total loss, huh?”


After saying his goodbyes, Chase set the inkwell in its holder and looked over his notes as he made his way to the inn he’d been allowed to stay at for the time being. He didn’t expect the town to be so hospitable, but he had no room to complain.

Right now, he had his priorities, gathering these notes and making sense of his penmanship, deciding on and preparing for the next interview, and finding some kind of job so he could properly pay for his housing. This was going to be interesting, provided his stone held out.

Author's Note:

To keep with my style so far, all of these will be written while I am less-than-sober, as to ensure I keep the same flow throughout. That, and I get some pretty interesting ideas when sobriety is no longer at 100%. :moustache: Also, clever titles escape me at the moment, so have this crappy one.

Will someone please comment? Seriously. I never get any feedback without having to seek it out.