• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,923 Views, 101 Comments

Rebirth of Harmony - WanderingPhysicist



In a world that goes from one tragedy to the next, can these six break the cycle?

  • ...
8
 101
 1,923

Children of Celestia - Part 2

A powerful aura surrounds Corona’s horn as she aims it at the oncoming ship.

‘This is for my mother.’

Corona fires the magical blast. The massive beam of energy cuts across the harbor, spraying up water as it rips a path to the ship. The beam tears through the ship, setting off the explosives inside and blowing the ship to pieces. Corona pants as her power fades from her. A dozen pegasus and bat pony guards surround the transformed unicorn.

‘Um, please surrender and come to land, uh, ma’am,’ a pegasus officer says.

Corona faints as her power completely fades, and she reverts back to normal. She falls towards the sea. A magenta aura surrounds her.

‘Got you!’ Alba calls.

Corona smiles faintly as she passes out.

Corona wakes to a loud humming in her skull. She looks around the room and spots a cloud outside of her window. The unicorn moans and falls back into her bed.

‘I hate flying.’

‘You never like the things I like.’

Corona turns her head. Sunset is sitting beside her. The younger sister smiles and gives her older sister a hug.

‘Where are we?’

‘Duke Blueblood’s airship,’ Sunset replies. ‘It arrived not long after you passed out. We fled as quickly as we could before the authorities could get to you.’

‘I blew up a ship...’

‘A ship apparently filled with explosives,’ a new voice says.

The sisters turn to see Blueblood standing at the door. Helios and Alba stand behind the duke.

‘Early reports show that the ship you destroyed was carrying military-grade explosives in addition to the listed cargo,’ Blueblood explains. ‘Some are saying you averted a potential massacre.’ He averts his gaze. ‘Though most of them are on this ship...’

Alba pushes into the room and joins her cousins. ‘How are you doing?’

‘I lost my mother and lost control of myself,’ Corona replies. ‘How do you think I am doing?’

‘If it makes you feel any better, the ponies after you probably won’t be targeting you any more,’ Helios says.

The three young mares on the bed glare at the prince until he flees in fear for his life.

Corona frowns. ‘I miss mom...’

Sunset starts crying. ‘Me too.’

The sister hug and cry together. Alba and Blueblood leave them to mourn.

A pair of griffins in suits stand before a desk. Both sweat nervously as they watch the figure on the other side.

‘You send your best operatives, and I give you a ship filled with the best explosives in the Empire, and all you have to show for it is a hotel in desperate need of renovations and a crater that completed their harbor deepening project two years ahead of schedule!’ a black griffin with red-tipped feathers shouts from behind his desk.

‘W-we did kill one of them,’ one of the suited griffins replies.

‘Oh, you killed one. Just great. Too bad it wasn’t the one in all those YouTube videos that was shown ripping a hole in the ocean!’ He turns away. ‘Probably going to have the sea ponies tear me a new cloaca for “disturbing” their habitats.’

‘Technically, we don’t have cloaca since that would be in the lion half of our body. Though rectum would apply regardless of eagle or lion half.’

The black griffin turns back. ‘Which one of you said that?’

Both of the other griffins point at the other. The black griffin snorts and rolls his eyes.

‘If it is any consolation, the prince was spotted in that area recently.’

The black griffin takes a deep breath. ‘He was?’

‘Y-yes. Stopping the destruction of the town likely saved his life, too.’

The black griffin snorts. ‘He does have a way of weaseling out of things.’ He takes another deep breath. ‘Very well. Prepare for their arrival. The red carpet will be rolled out. We can use it to roll up their bodies before we dump them in the ocean.’

The other griffins shuffle uncomfortably. ‘Y-yes sir.’

The griffins bow and take their leave.

‘Celestia’s kids, Luna’s kids and now the prince.’ The black griffin rubs his temples. ‘Some days, I don’t know why I killed my way into this job.’

Corona sits in the mess hall, as far from the windows as possible. Sunset brings her sister a plate of food.

‘Not every day that the little sister takes care of the big sister, is it?’ the pegasus giggles.

‘Once we’re off this flying death trap, things will go back to normal,’ Corona snorts, levitating a sandwich. She takes a bite, then frowns. ‘Whatever normal is now...’

‘Don’t worry, Corona,’ Sunset assures. ‘We have always found a way before.’ She smiles. ‘And we have more family now. We have Alba and Helios. When we get to Canterlot, Aunt Luna will be happy to see us.’

Corona smiles weakly. ‘You sound just like mom.’

A door opens. Alba trots in followed by Helios and Razzly.

‘Told you they were here,’ Alba declares.

The new arrivals join their cousins. Razzly looks at Corona and Sunset for a moment then gets up and goes to the kitchen.

‘What are you doing here?’ Corona asks.

‘What? We can’t try to cheer our cousins up?’ Alba replies.

‘Isn’t that the goal of your sister?’ Sunset counters. ‘You know, Laughter.’

‘And Kindness and Friendship aren’t good enough for Sunset Shimmer?’ Helios frowns. ‘I’m hurt.’

Corona laughs. ‘Thanks. You are making me feel better.’

‘Here,’ Razzly says as she returns. She sets a bowl strawberries in whipped cream on the table. ‘This is for your fear of flying.’

‘W-what are you talking about?’ Corona stammers.

‘You are acting like me when I am scared of something,’ Razzly replies. ‘You mentioned not liking flying the other day, so...’

The older unicorn smiles. ‘Okay. Thank you.’ She levitates a strawberry.

‘No! Without your magic!’ The younger unicorn blushes and looks down. ‘You have to try to eat the berry, but not the topping without using your magic...’

Corona stares at the bowl. ‘This food is becoming problematic.’

The others laugh as Corona tries eating the fruit. The unicorn growls and splats dollops of whipped cream on everypony’s face.

‘I never saw that solution before,’ Razzly laughs.

Sunset wipes her face clean. ‘You’re so silly, sis. Just like your birthday last year...’

‘When mom took us to that ice cream parlor...’

The sisters moan and stare at the fruit.

‘So, uh, well, um, why are you scared of flying?’ Helios blurts out.

Alba gives her brother an upset look. ‘Be nice.’

‘It’s okay,’ Corona replies. She looks up and smiles. ‘Back before we lost dad, we had a tree house at our home. One night, Sunset and I were camping out. There was a big storm that night, so our parents called us back inside. As I was climbing down, the wind got under me and lifted me off the ladder. I broke my leg in the fall...’

‘Ouchy...’ Alba comments.

‘Just the feeling of freefall scares me. I don’t know how pegasi can stand that feeling.’

Helios bursts out laughing.

‘Don’t tease her!’ Alba scolds. ‘She was really scared.’

‘It is not that,’ Helios chortles. ‘I was just remembering the first time you tried flying.’

The princess glares. ‘You wouldn’t dare...’

‘See, Alba had read a book all about flying,’ Helios begins, putting a hoof on his sister. ‘She thought she knew everything about it. She called everyone over to the edge of the palace garden, spread her wings and jumped.’

Sunset facehoofs. ‘Oh, geez.’

‘Mom and dad freaked and dove after her. She was flapping her wings wildly. It was so funny to see. After our parents caught her, they sat her down and explained how she wasn’t ready to fly yet. She kept whining and whining about it, so they eventually had the royal guards teach her.’

‘Now, I am the best flyer and that story will never get repeated again if my brother values his continued existence on this planet,’ Alba snaps.

‘How old were you when you tried that?’ Sunset asks.

Alba kicks her seat. ‘Three.’

‘You were reading and flying at three!’ the pegasus gapes.

Corona rolls her eyes. ‘Oh, please. You had memorized Carts and Trains and Things that Go by that age, even if you you were starting on more advanced books. You were a pretty smart foal yourself.’

‘Yeah, well, that was only a few years ago.’

‘Considering how you were telling mom about the very grownup books you were reading while in the Crystal Empire, you grew up pretty fast.’

Alba gasps ‘We never asked how old you were! What if it is almost your birthday!’

Corona shakes her head. ‘Not for a while. I just turned sixteen in April, and Sunset will turn eleven in October.’

Alba gasps again and hugs Sunset. ‘We’re the same age! Well, I’m older since I was born in March, but close enough! We’re going to have to have a big party for you.’

‘I-I’ll even get dad to make a cake,’ Razzly offers. ‘He knows a lot of great recipes...’

‘Th-thanks,’ Sunset replies. ‘I haven’t had a real birthday in...’

Corona hugs her sister. ‘We always had real birthdays. We just get to spend them with more friends and family now.’

‘But… Mom...’

‘Mom would be happy for us to be able to spend time with everypony. We should focus on that now.’

‘You’re right, Corona.’ Sunset looks at the others and smiles. ‘I look forward to whatever you plan.’ She looks at the bowl of strawberries in melted whipped cream. ‘I think we’re going to need more of these...’

‘I’ll get some right away!’ Alba offers as she gallops away.

Razzly trots through the airship. She finds Sunset sitting on the deck, watching the clouds go by. The unicorn approaches the pegasus.

‘There you are,’ Razzly greets. ‘We’ve been invited to a fancy dinner with Blueblood and the ambassador. Everypony’s been looking for you.’

Sunset looks up and wipes away some tears. ‘Sorry. I just needed some time alone. I didn’t mean to make everypony worry.’

‘It’s all right. I understand.’

Sunset frowns. ‘Do you really?’

Razzly nods. ‘I don’t have a mother either.’

‘You don’t?’

‘She left us when I was really young. It has always been me and my dad until I met Alba.’

‘But you still had a father. I barely remember mine...’

‘I’m sorry. I forgot about that. But you have all of us now. I know we’re not real family, but it has felt better than real family knowing Alba and Trixie.’

Sunset smiles weakly and nods. ‘I’ll just have to get to know you better then.’

The fillies return to the ship. They navigate their way to a stateroom. Corona and Alba wait outside with the rest of their friends.

‘There you are,’ Corona scolds. ‘I was worried sick.’

‘Sorry, Corona,’ Sunset apologizes. ‘I just needed to be alone for a bit.’

The older sister frowns. ‘You could have just told me that. I understand. You didn’t have to hide from me in the Zone of Certain Death.’

Sunset facehoofs. ‘The deck of an airship is specifically designed to keep passengers on, not let them fall off. If you weren’t so scared of just looking at the airship manuals I found...’

Corona coughs, interrupting her sister. ‘Anyway! It is best not to keep our host waiting.’

The others laugh as they enter the stateroom. They sit at the table. Blueblood enters, talking with Ambassador Gilda. Corona bolts up from her seat.

‘What is she doing here?’ the young mare accuses.

‘Calm down,’ Helios hisses. ‘She is the ambassador, and we are headed to the Empire. She is going to be our guide.’

‘I thought we were headed to Canterlot.’

‘I will be taking you there immediately after we drop the Elements off,’ Blueblood replies.

Gilda approaches the upset unicorn. Corona backs up, shielding Sunset and readying a spell.

‘Griffins killed our parents,’ Corona growls. ‘I recommend backing off before I feel tempted to get some revenge.’

Gilda stops and bows to the ponies. ‘I am sorry for your losses,’ she apologizes. ‘The fact that my own kind would wish to harm ponies, especially ones of your lineage, disgusts me no end. I will do everything in my power to find the griffins who ordered the attack on your family and bring them to justice.’

Corona stares at Gilda for a moment then looks around. ‘Either she is a better actor than Silver Fox, or she is your missing Element of Honesty.’ She bows. ‘I shouldn’t have judged your whole species for the acts of a small subset of them. I am sorry too.’

‘Thank you for the compliments,’ the griffin replies. She goes to her seat. ‘And no need to apologize. I would feel the same if I were in your position.’

Corona nods and retakes her seat.

Blueblood takes a deep breath. ‘Well, now that we have that out of the way, shall we begin our meal?’

Late night. In the hold of the airship, Corona uses her magic to easily move crates of supplies around. She does not even stop her training as somepony approaches.

‘From what I’ve seen, you can do a lot better than this,’ Trixie comments.

‘You shouldn’t have seen that,’ the younger mare replies. She sets down a crate. ‘Our mother taught us that we have massive power inside of us due to our relationship to Celestia. Sadly, I tapped into that the other day.’

Trixie shakes her head. ‘Every magic user has the means to tap into dark magics. Those just combined with your natural talents, resulting in what you became.’

‘That monster...’

‘We all have monsters in us. Yours just got loose for a short bit.’

Corona takes a deep breath and sits down. ‘Have you ever lost control like that?’

Trixie sighs. ‘Not like that, no. I was pretty distraught when I found out Twilight Sparkle died during her wedding. I wished I had been there to help her. Like I could have done something. I even stopped performing for a while.’

‘I find that hard to believe.’

‘It is true. I needed a Great and Powerful vacation.’ Trixie smirks. ‘Much like you seem to be doing here.’

‘Yeah… Got to distract the mind somehow.’

The older unicorn nods. ‘While I was rejuvenating myself, I found a wonderful stallion to help me through it.’

Corona frowns. ‘Like I am going to find somepony to fall in love with if I am hiding in the palace...’

‘I don’t know. Maybe you will meet a handsome pegasus guard.’

Both mares pause for a moment and burst out laughing.

‘Yeah, right!’ Corona laughs. ‘Some “kind and friendly” yellow pegasus who just happens to instantly be so into me despite having just met me. Yeah. That doesn’t scream creeper at all. He’d probably arrange certain events just for the “chance” encounters running into me.’

‘Not to mention that all the other mares in Canterlot don’t turn his head in times of need, but the smart, cute granddaughter of Celestia just happens to get all his attention for every minor thing that happens to her,’ Trixie adds.

The unicorns laugh together for a few more moments before calming down.

‘Thanks,’ Corona says. ‘I haven’t had a laugh that good in a long time.’

‘The Great and Powerful Trixie never fails to entertain.’ Trixie yawns. ‘We still have a while until we arrive. Let’s get some sleep.’

The unicorns leave the hold.

‘Right. My sister is probably worried about me.’

‘Or she is cuddling with her cousin and Razzly.’

Corona smiles. ‘It is great seeing her finally have some friends. We never stopped long enough to get attached to anypony. Hopefully, that will be the normal now.’

Trixie smiles as well. ‘A lot of things are going to be a new normal, for the better too.’

Alba and Razzly enter the mess hall. Everypony is gathered around the kitchen. Apple Pie notices the new arrivals and waves them over.

‘What is going on?’ Alba asks.

‘Corona and Sunset have claimed the kitchen for the Solar Empire,’ Apple replies.

A peeled orange flies out of the kitchen and hits Apple.

‘That wasn’t funny the first time,’ Corona scolds.

‘We’re making you a “thank you” meal,’ Sunset chirps, flitting past with a bowl.

Razzly pushes through the gathered ponies. ‘What are you making?’

‘All sorts of things,’ Sunset replies, landing.

‘Everything our mother taught us to make,’ Corona adds. ‘Just a small gift for helping us since we won’t be seeing you for a while after you are dropped off.’

‘Are you sure you don’t need any help?’ Apple asks. ‘AB and I are pretty good cooks and would love to help you.’

‘Don’t worry,’ Corona replies.

‘We have everything under control,’ Sunset adds.

Razzly stares into the kitchen in horror. ‘The cake is on fire.’

The sisters look. Corona yells and casts a freeze spell. She glares at her sister.

‘What?’ Sunset defends. ‘The book said twenty minutes at 175°, I figured it would only take ten at twice that. It is theoretically sound.’

Corona shakes her head. ‘We’ll have to ask Aunt Luna if we can get more practical lessons for you.’

‘Just don’t burn down the castle,’ Alba snickers.

A pot on the stove bursts into flames.

‘Okay. That wasn’t me,’ Sunset states.

The sisters rush to put out the fires.

The black griffin paces in his office. A light tan, female griffin holds a note pad and watches the other griffin.

‘Snipers on the roofs?’ the black griffin says.

‘They are arriving by air. They would spot them.’

‘Mining the harbor?’

‘There are too many boats out there already, and we would risk killing the ambassador.’

‘Poison in the..?’

‘Too late. The chefs at the palace are already working on the welcome dinner.’

‘Well, is there any way we can kill them?’

The female griffin checks her pad. ‘Not subtly, no.’

The black griffin slumps into his chair. ‘Damn. They can live. For now.’ He looks at a nearby clock. ‘Damn. They’re almost here. Guess I better get ready.’

Corona and Sunset watch the airship landing from their cabin. Corona scowls.

‘Don’t worry, Corona,’ Sunset assures. ‘Everything is going to be fine.’

‘I don’t trust them,’ the unicorn snorts. ‘I know the griffins are up to something. Somepony in that country was after us, and they didn’t seem to mind killing them either.’

‘But, they are the Elements of Harmony. We’re just regular ponies.’

‘We’re Children of Celestia, Sunset. No matter how hard we try to be normal, we are still special.’

Sunset frowns. ‘I wish I were an unicorn too. Then I would know what it feels like to have special powers inside me.’

‘Between your genius brain and being able to fly forever, how do you not know what special powers feel like?’

Sunset giggles. ‘Yeah. I am smarter than you.’

‘I wouldn’t go that far.’

‘You’d go further? Glad we agree.’

‘Why, you...’

Corona playfully bumps her sister. Sunset bumps her back. They laugh for a moment, but Sunset frowns.

‘Corona… I know this sounds bad, but...’

Corona hugs her sister. ‘I know. We haven’t had this much fun in years as we have had this past day. I wish mom was here to share it too.’

Sunset returns the hug. ‘Me too. I hope Aunt Luna is nice.’

‘If she is anything like our cousins, we’ll feel right at home.’

Gilda leads the Elements of Harmony down a ramp to a dock. Griffins of all ages watch from every vantage point as the ponies disembark on their first visit to a new country. Razzly hides behind Trixie to escape all the stares. Rainbow yawns and gets nudged by Raindrops to keep her from falling asleep. Apple Pie blushes and pulls his hat down as he waves to the griffins, getting a laugh from Apple Bloom. Helios and Alba follow Gilda up a flight of stairs. At the top, a black griffin with red-tipped feathers wearing a robe and a crown bows to the guests.

‘Welcome to the Griffin Empire,’ the emperor greets. ‘I am Emperor Mordred. Your visit honors our humble nation.’

The prince and princess return the bow. Mordred smiles to cover a sneer as he takes in the ponies before him.

Author's Note:

Story Event: Corona and Sunset cope with the loss of their mother as well as they can. They will return in a few chapters because Sunset, I mean, Corona Shimmer is one of my favorite characters in MLP.

The main villain is finally revealed! (Not that it shouldn't have been to hard to guess that he was a griffin based on the last few hints.)

Character Introduction: Emperor Mordred - If he were Spike from Buffy, he would be the Big Bad. I'd tell you more about his rise to power, but that is planned to be revealed soon.