• Published 17th Apr 2012
  • 1,923 Views, 101 Comments

Rebirth of Harmony - WanderingPhysicist



In a world that goes from one tragedy to the next, can these six break the cycle?

  • ...
8
 101
 1,923

The Iron Pony - Preliminaries

The Elements and their mentors ride the train to Manehatten. They have rented out an entire passenger car for themselves. In the front, Trixie and Raindrops check in with the authorities in Canterlot. Alba is trying to teach Razzleberry a new spell. Rainbow sleeps on a cloud that is somehow relatively stationary. In the back, Octavia either naps or watches the others under her hooded robe. Apple Bloom and Helios stare at Apple Pie while he appears to be doing some sort of meditation. The earth pony taps his hooves on the floor of the carriage. He stops and shakes his head.

‘No,’ the young stallion snorts. ‘I just don’t sense anything.’

‘Come on,’ Helios encourages. ‘You can move rocks and dirt. Technically speaking, Metal is just distilled rock.’

Apple Pie closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. He kicks the carriage, getting the attention of everypony not watching already. After a few seconds, he shakes his head again.

‘I can feel a few crystals here and there, but I have nothing yet.’

‘Ah! Ya jus’ need more practice,’ Apple Bloom cheers. ‘Ah know ya can do it.’

‘Yeah. You’ll never be an iron pony with that attitude.’

‘Iron...’ Apple Pie gives his brother a confused look. ‘Uh... Oh! I think I get it. AB is more of the comic geek. I only went to those movies to be with her...’

Apple Pie blushes at the revelation. Apple Bloom giggles at her coltfriend.

‘Ah think he means the poster behind ya, AP.’

The stallion turns behind him. There is a large poster advertising upcoming events in Manehatten. One half is for a concert by a musician named Synth Tech. The other is for The Iron Pony Competition. Apple Pie starts reading the poster.

‘Ah remember the time mah sis and Rainbow Dash put on a smaller version o’ one o’ those,’ Apple Bloom says. ‘Sis would have won if they followed all the rules o’ the real thing.’

‘Ponies actually do this sort of thing?’ Apple Pie asks.

‘Ah’ll have ya know that the Apple Family are proud rodeo ponies. Ah’ll be enterin’ jus’ t’ try mah hoof at it. Ah might not do as good as AJ, but it’ll be fun.’

‘You two should totally enter,’ Alba suggests. ‘You compete about everything. Why not make it official?’

‘I don’t know...’ Apple Pie groans. ‘I don’t really like competing except in team events. Sort of feels against my element to go against somepony.’

‘And I am far too kind to not let everypony go ahead of me,’ Helios states. ‘It is just not in my nature to compete.’

‘Are y’all competing t’ be the least competitive?’

‘I’m totally winning,’ the brothers say in unison.

‘Ah agree with yer sister. Y’all should enter. Maybe then it’d shut ya up.’

The brothers look at each other and snort.

A long line of entrants wait to join The Iron Pony Competition. Ponies of all tribes, sizes, and genders, as well as a number of other species from around the world, wait to get their shot at glory. Apple Bloom finishes giving her information to the receptionist, takes her entry form and moves to a new line.

‘Next!’ the unicorn receptionist calls.

Apple Pie and Helios push to be the next in line. The receptionist looks at the two ponies.

‘Aren’t you..?’

‘He is. I’m not,’ Helios replies.

Apple Pie groans. ‘Yes, we’re Elements of Harmony.’

‘And you want to enter?’

‘Unless this is the line for Metallica,’ the alicorn grins.

The earth pony takes a deep breath. ‘We would like the chance to compete, yes.’

‘Uh... I’ll have to check with my manager...’

Before the unicorn can turn away, Helios clears his throat to get her attention. ‘Quick question: how far do you want this to go?’

‘What?’

‘Well, your adverts state “all ponies welcome”. While my case is a bit dodgy, despite me being all ponies’ -- Apple Pie groans -- ‘his case is a lot simpler. Just tell me how high of a court you want this to go to, and I’ll ask my parents to see what they can do.’

The receptionist stares at the brothers. Helios has a smug grin. Apple Pie shrugs and adjusts his hat. Apple Bloom giggles from her line. The unicorn sighs and levitates her pen.

‘Fine. The nice one first.’ Helios steps forward. ‘Guess again.’

The earth pony laughs as his younger brother steps back.

‘Okay. Full name?’

‘Apple Bradbury Pie.’

‘Age?’

‘Nineteen.’

‘Special talent?’

‘Apple farmer.’

‘Hometown or organization you will be competing in representation of?’

Apple Pie thinks. ‘I will be competing for Sweet Apple Acres.’

Apple Bloom smiles to herself.

‘Very good. Move to the next line for weighing and measuring.’ She waves the earth pony aside and the alicorn forward. ‘Okay, pretty boy. Your turn.’ She starts scanning the application. ‘Uh, I’ll just put down “all of the above” for tribe. It is Prince Helios, right?’

‘Actually, my full title is Helios of Equestria, Prince of the Daylight.’ A light shines behind the prince as he holds his head high.

The unicorn grumbles as she tries to fit the whole title on the form. ‘Age?’

‘Fourteen.’

‘You’re tall for fourteen. Special talent?’

‘Sharing kindness. It is an easy feat.’

‘Hometown, etcetera?’

Helios thinks. ‘Hmm... The Elements of Harmony.’

The receptionist groans and writes down the response. She gives the prince his paper and directs him to the next line.

‘Next! Full name?’

‘Rainbow Asimov Pie!’

Apple Pie, Helios and Apple Bloom spin around to see Rainbow at the reception table.

‘Age?’

‘Eighteen!’

‘Special talent?’

‘Making everypony HAPPY!’

The receptionist groans and writes. When she looks back up, Rainbow’s smiling face is in hers. She cannot help but laugh. ‘Hometown or organization you will be competing in representation of?’

‘Oh!’ Rainbow starts searching her saddlebags. She gets out a pink slip of paper. ‘Weather Crew C!’

The unicorn stares at the color of the paper. ‘They must be really proud of you.’

‘You bet!’

The receptionist waves the pegasus away. She joins her brothers in line. She smiles at her siblings.

‘Are you ready to rock this?’

‘What are you doing here?’ Apple Pie gapes.

‘Yeah. This isn’t a napping competition,’ Helios laughs.

Rainbow snorts. ‘I am just as athletic as the rest of you. Besides, this is all about having fun, and I am all about fun! I love fun things!’

‘Ah’m sure y’all will do fine,’ Apple Bloom smiles.

‘Thank you!’ The pegasus smiles in return then sticks her tongue at her brothers.

The stallions roll their eyes and turn back to the line.

After being weighed and measured, the ponies find themselves on the field of a large sports complex. Every pony is being tested to see if they meet the minimum physical requirements to compete in the grueling competition. The four ponies survey the field before joining the other entrants at the first exam.

The ponies have to lift a metal bar. Electromagnets under the station allow the testers to measure the applied force. If the lifter passes the minimum, they are allowed to move on. Apple Bloom steps up to the station. She hooks her front hooves under the bar and lifts as hard as she can, ending up standing on her hind legs. The tester marks the young mare’s application, and she moves on.

Helios whispers to Apple Pie, ‘Twenty bits if you use your powers to launch the bar into the air.’

‘That would be cheating,’ the older brother snorts as he steps up to the test.

The young stallion hooks his front hooves under the bar and lifts just like Apple Bloom. The tester marks his application, and he moves on. He turns back to see Helios easily lift the bar with just his snout. The other brother snorts and turns to see the next test. Rainbow steps up to the bar. She stares at it for several moments.

‘Can I lift with my wings?’ she asks.

‘However you are most comfortable.’

‘Most comfortable...’

Rainbow leans down and takes the bar in her mouth. The other ponies watching laugh at the odd strategy. With a quick jerk upwards, the pegasus throws the bar high into the air. There is a spark from under the station due to the electric field generated from the lift. Rainbow watches the bar, smirks and holds her wings up to catch it. The bar lands several meters behind the pony, nearly impaling one of the other entrants. The embarrassed pegasus smiles, takes her application and moves to the next station.

The next test has the entrants breathe into a device to measure lung capacity. Several panting failed entrants are laying near the station. Apple Bloom gets her mark and moves on. Apple Pie and Helios step up to different stations and begin their test at the same time. The test runs smoothly up until there is a loud pop from Helios’ station.

The prince gives an embarrassed grin and backs away. ‘Uh, I’ll pay for that,’ he says as he quickly grabs his application and moves on.

Apple Pie laughs at his brother and follows. He turns back when he hears coughing.

‘Tastes like somepony’s spit!’ Rainbow complains.

The tester groans and points her to the next station. She joins the others as they watch a pony get tennis balls shot at him. He dodges or blocks several, only to take one to the forehead. A couple more similar misses ends the test and a nurse helps the pony to the sidelines.

Apple Bloom laughs and steps into the line of fire. Years of apple farming has taught her how to dodge speeding objects perfectly. She ends her test by whipping the last ball back towards the tester. Apple Pie’s test goes equally well. He and his fillyfriend high hoof from the sidelines. Helios steps up to the station. His horn glows, and he becomes surrounded in a translucent purple shield.

‘Sorry, son. This is agility testing. No magic.’

‘Ah man.’ The prince lowers his shield. He dodges most of the shots, but he slips towards the end of the test. He uses his horn to bat away most of the balls, but one impales itself on his horn. While recovering from the shock, several more balls get impaled on his horn as well. Apple Pie roars with laughter from his vantage point. The testers confer then return Helios’ application to him.

‘You were within the limit. You passed.’

The alicorn takes his application and joins his brother and Apple Bloom. He levitates the balls from his horn and into a nearby bin. A loud snort lowers Apple Pie’s laughter to barely contained snickering.

Rainbow steps into the firing line and takes an active stance. The first ball appears to hit her, but her body disappears and reappears beside where she was standing. The rest of the test goes the same way with the balls only hitting her afterimage. With the test done, she joins her comrades on sidelines. Apple Bloom thinks she sees lightning bolts sticking out of the cloud on Rainbow’s cutie mark.

Several hours and a couple of tests later, the large number of entrants has been narrowed down to several dozen. Almost every species in the world is represented, including some young dragons. The contestants are randomly assigned numbers and organized for their first competitions. Apple Pie, Apple Bloom and Helios scan the boards for their names. Rainbow sleeps on a cloud she has found.

‘Eight groups and four of us. Plenty of room for us to all get in the finals,’ Helios comments.

‘Ah’m jus’ worried ‘bout the preliminary round. Ah ain’t sure Ah will make it.’

‘We just need to make it to the top of the bracket,’ Apple Pie says. ‘Then we are practically in the finals.’

‘Hmm. If Ah have t’ go against any of ya, Ah’m quittin’ right now.’

Apple Pie nuzzles Apple Bloom. ‘You’ll do fine... but I am totally winning.’

‘You mean totally winning the losers,’ Helios goads.

‘That doesn’t make any sense.’

‘Your face doesn’t make any sense.’

‘I so wish I was an only child,’ Apple Pie moans.

A cyan hoof connects with the back of Apple Pie’s head. Rainbow yawns and stretches as she wakes from her nap. She looks at her brothers once she is up. Apple Pie scowls and rubs the back of his head.

‘Did I miss my bracket?’ the sleepy pegasus asks.

‘No, you should try kicking again,’ Helios laughs.

‘Correction: I don’t wish I was an only child,’ Apple Pie says. His siblings smile and nod. ‘I would still want Full Moon and Alba.’

A blue-grey hoof to the leg and another cyan hoof to the back tell Apple Pie what the others think of his correction. Apple Bloom giggles at her sore coltfriend.

‘Y’all are jus’ like mah friends when we were young. We were always bickerin’ ‘bout somethin’.’

The three younger ponies snort at the older one. She keeps laughing and turns back to the boards. After a couple moments, she sees her name get placed in a bracket. The other three get their names placed in different brackets, much to their relief. They get their numbers from the organizers and head to their hotel.

‘What do you mean, nopony is coming tomorrow?!’ Helios exclaims.

The rest of the group looks at the upset prince. Apple Pie and Apple Bloom look annoyed as well. Rainbow is sleeping again.

‘We never said we wouldn’t come,’ Alba sighs. ‘We just want to do other things too. Miss Raindrops is going to take me and Razzly to see the city! Won’t that be fun?’

‘Y-yes,’ Razzly stutters.

‘I definitely want to see if anypony can keep up with Rainbow, so we’ll be by in the evening,’ Raindrops explains.

‘What do you mean, watch Rainbow?’ Apple Pie is confused. ‘We’re the athletes... and he’s a prince.’

Raindrops laughs. ‘Oh, you’ll see.’

The teens groan again.

‘I am sorry as well that I cannot join you,’ Trixie says. ‘I haven’t been back in so long and I wish to see my mother. I will definitely come out if one of you make the finals.’

‘What do you mean “if”!’ the brothers shout.

Octavia shakes her head. ‘I’ll check out your show in the morning and afternoon, but I have an engagement for the evening.’

‘Hot date?’ Trixie teases.

‘Hardly. I have a ticket for the Synth Tech show.’

Rainbow instantly wakes up. ‘Dude! Can I come? I totally love him! I would have his foals!’

Apple Pie shakes his head at his sister. ‘I never took you for one who would like that sort of music, Octavia.’

‘He perfectly blends electronic and orchestral music, and his original compositions have been compared to my own in terms of form and quality. To be compared to such a talented musician is an honor for me.’

‘At least one of the performers we are traveling with is humble,’ Raindrops laughs.

‘Trixie cannot help it if Trixie is the best magician in the world. It is Trixie’s burden to bear.’

Everypony groans at the unicorn.

‘Uh... I have to take care of something... Bye!’ Rainbow blurts out before flying away.

Apple Pie groans. ‘Yeah. Definitely want to be an only child... except you, Alba.

The next morning, the competitors arrive at the stadium bright and early, with Helios pulling his sister’s cloud. There is a light crowd for the early rounds of the competition, but still hundreds of ponies and other species in the audience. Apple Pie wakes his sister and they split to go to their brackets. As soon as everypony has arrived and is organized, the organizers step to a microphone.

‘Welcome to The Iron Pony Competition!’ the lead organizer greets. The crowd cheers in response. ‘Today are the preliminary rounds. Each of you will be tested in a series of events and scored based on your performance. The top two competitors for each bracket will then face off individually as an introduction to what is to come tomorrow. There are eight brackets, so I wish all of you the best of luck. One of you will be the next Iron Pony!’

The competitors cheer then follow their brackets to their first competitions. Apple Bloom’s bracket is lead to a large tank of water for swimming events. Helios’ bracket is led to an area cleared for various dexterity events. Apple Pie is led to an area set up for a number of jumping events. Rainbow is led to an area for running events. The pegasus yawns and stretches while the judge explains the events to the group.

‘The first event will be a simple 100m dash. Since we know pegasi, griffins and other creatures have various ways of getting boosts, not to mention those with longer gaits than a normal pony, we have special equations that will balance your times and give you a score reflecting your performance. Okay! First up is...’

Rainbow waits for her turn. She chats a bit with the other competitors until she is called. She takes her position next to the other ponies and strikes a running posture. She feels a tingle from her cutie mark as her competitive side takes over. The judge fires a starting pistol, and the racers take off. Rainbow is done before she knows it, leaving a rainbow-colored trail behind her. The judges and competitors stare in shock. The judges huddle to discuss the results Rainbow trots off to the side to await her next event. One of the judges gallops to the lead organizer.

‘Excuse me, we have an announcement to make.’

The competitors stop around the field.

‘Even after adjusting for tribe, it appears that one of the competitors has set a new world record for the 100m dash. Everypony congratulate Miss Rainbow Pie on her accomplishment.’

Everypony stomps or claps in celebration of the accomplishment. Rainbow smiles and waves to everypony. Rainbow’s family stares with jaws dropped. Helios even drops the horseshoe he was about to throw for his competition. In the stands, Octavia smirks, knowing the show just got interesting.

‘Rainbow Pie has set a new world record for the 400m dash!’

‘Rainbow Pie has set a new world record for the 110m hurdles! And without using her wings!’

‘Rainbow Pie has set a new world record for the wingless high jump!’

‘Rainbow Pie has set a new world record for the wingless long jump!’

‘Rainbow Pie has set a new world record for the hammer throw! … Can we get some paramedics to the stands please?’

‘Rainbow Pie has set a new world record for the football kick!’


‘We know this is getting old, but Rainbow Pie has set a new record in the 200m freestyle!’

The crowd cheers. In the front rows, Alba, Razzly and Raindrops stomp extra loud for their friend. From their areas, Helios, Apple Pie and Apple Bloom stare in shock. Throughout the day, Rainbow has set records in almost every event on the field. The other three have scored enough points to make it to their final match of the day, but Rainbow was heading into her match with a perfect score. Apple Bloom even confirmed her suspicion. Rainbow’s cutie mark did change.

The announcer comes on again. ‘This score gives Rainbow Pie a perfect score, a first in Iron Pony history. She broke the previous record set by former Iron Pony Champion and Wonderbolt, the late Rainbow Dash.’

The crowd cheers even more for the pegasus who is currently drinking from the water tank. The judges nudge her. She looks up and waves to the crowd.

Rainbow turns to a judge. ‘So, uh, do I need to pee in a cup or something for drug testing?’

‘You’ve checked out already,’ the judge replies, shaking his head.

‘Then which way to the little filly’s room?’

The judge points, and Rainbow flies off as fast as she can. The organizers start clearing the main stage for the last competition to see who will make it into the finals. The three friends start heading towards the stage for their match.

‘Rainbow’s puttin’ on a pretty good show,’ Apple Bloom says.

The two males mumble in agreement.

‘Ah fer one didn’ expect her t’ be breakin’ so many records.’

‘Or any at all...’ Apple Pie mumbles.

‘Did y’all know her cutie mark could change like that?’

‘Whose cutie mark change like what?’ a chipper voice asks.

The trio look to see Rainbow trotting alongside them. They look back, but her cutie mark is the normal cloud they are familiar with.

‘Ah thought Ah saw yer cutie mark get lightning bolts like Rainbow Dash,’ Apple Bloom replies.

‘That’s weird.’ Rainbow thinks for a moment. ‘Back in Cloudsdale, some of my friends would say my cutie mark would look like a bunch of balloons during my parties.’

‘Cutie marks cannot change,’ Helios states. ‘There hasn’t been a case before, and there is no way anypony could have more than one cutie mark.’

‘Ah guess that means our little Rainbow is special.’

Rainbow smiles at her friend.

‘ “Special” is an understatement,’ Apple Pie grumbles.

A swift cyan blur strikes the young stallion’s underside. He drops to the ground clutching the sore spot between his hind legs.

‘You didn’t want foals, right, Apple Bloom?’ Rainbow grins.

A tapping is heard over the speakers. ‘Excuse me. We are ready to begin the final matches of the preliminaries,’ an official says. ‘Will competitors Helios and Snowflake come to the stage?’

‘Yeah!’ a buff, white pegasus shouts.

The pegasus charges the stage as the prince calmly trots to face his competitor.

‘These final challenges will consist of two of the events from the finals,’ the official states. ‘Competitors will compete in either hoof wrestling or tug-of-war. The winner of each round will advance to the finals.’

The official steps back. A table is placed between the contestants. Snowflake slams a foreleg on the table and waits for his challenger. Helios sits and wraps his hoof around Snowflake’s. A whistle is blown. There is a loud crash as Snowflake is thrown from the stage. The alicorn quickly rushes to help the large pegasus up.

‘Are you okay?’ the prince asks.

‘Yeah?’ Snowflake replies before stumbling away.

Helios grimaces before heading back to the stage.

A length of rope is placed between Apple Bloom and a zebra. Both take an end in their mouth and pull the rope taut. The whistle is blown, and the competitors start pulling. The zebra get a quick lead, but Apple Bloom digs in.

Just like brother... Apple Bloom thinks.

The young mare backs away, slowly pulling her challenger. The rope is tugged sharply, shaking the mare’s balance a little.

No, you didn’t! She growls.

Apple Bloom jerks her head back, and the zebra topples over the center line. The young mare drops the rope and stretches her jaw a bit.

‘You may have won, but your hopes are almost gone,’ the zebra taunts.

Apple Bloom snorts. ‘Ah didn’ know rhyme could whine. Ah beat y’all just fine.’

‘You dare mock me?! My native tongue is my specialty.’

‘Your tongue I dare not mock, though my skills ain’t just fancy talk. Ah would really hate t’ bore ya, but Ah learned from the best, mah friend Zecora.’

‘I will give you bruises of black and purple. They will, uh... I am... You...’

Apple Bloom smirks. ‘Ah really did not mean to add t’ the show, so now Ah think we should go. And so ya know the mare who sent ya t’ yer doom, her name is the great Apple Bloom.’ The young mare trots toward the winner area. She looks back. ‘Earth ponies,’ she says smoothly.

Apple Pie’s tug-of-war against another earth pony is dead even. They are both digging into the ground deep. The young stallion looks around for any sign of encouragement. He hears the cheers from Apple Bloom and Helios. He glances off stage and sees Rainbow smiling at him. He scans the stadium to find the brackets. Some quick maths reveals that he could face his sister as early as the second round depending on which event she gets. Apple Pie snorts, plants his hooves and gives the rope a sharp tug. His competitor is sent flying past him. He drops the rope and pants. The crowd cheers the effort. Helios narrows his gaze as he watches his brother wave.

Rainbow is the last pony called. She prances up to the stage. Across from her stands a three-meter-tall red dragon. He looks down at the tiny pony. She looks up and smiles.

‘Hi!’ Rainbow greets.

The dragon turns. ‘Forfeit. I am not stupid enough to challenge her.’

The crowd boos as the dragon walks off stage. Rainbow shrugs and hops over to her friends. Apple Pie checks the standings. None of them are facing each other. Yet.

‘Let’s hear it for our finalists!’ the announcer calls.

The crowd stomps in support of the group on stage. The eight competitors smile and wave. Helios looks at his brother. Apple Pie looks back. They nod and look at their sister. She waves as hard as she can at all of her supporters. The brothers sigh and begin to plan on how to defeat their her.

Author's Note:

RoH Timeline: Apple, Rainbow, Helios and Apple Bloom compete to see who is the Iron Pony. Rainbow's athletic side comes out. Octavia goes to a Synth Tech concert.