• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 3,360 Views, 88 Comments

Another Displaced Human Dilemma - The Grey Pegasus



So apparently I'm in a self-insert.

  • ...
32
 88
 3,360

[X] What's This?

Another Displaced Human Dilemma
By: A Grey Pegasus

What's This?

Page flip.

"What the hell am I reading?"

Page flip.

Chunk of pages flip.

"Hey Stardust, what are you reading?"

I looked up at Twilight. "I have no idea." I closed the book to show its cover to her. "It was asking to be read, though."

Twilight's expression perked up. "Oh. That one. I haven't read that one in a few years. Yeah, it's... an interesting one."

"Yeah, I'll say. You here for anything right now?"

"I am in fact here to exist."

Wait, what?

"Horse words!"

Um. I am sensing something is going strange here.

"Whoa!" I yelped as suddenly, I was lost in a white void, losing my grip on the book I was reading in the process. Although, it seemed that the book had faded into the aether as well.

"Please tell me what the hell is happening," I said. "I didn't screw anything up, did I? This is totally not an episode."

I looked around. Infinite white void. Alone.

Like that Spongebob future episode with Squidward. What a classic.

Oh yeah, and now I really get how unsettling it is.

"Hello?!"

A... panel of white opened like a door.

And then Pinkie walked in. What a relief, seriously.

"You're in the no-zone, Dusty!"

"I'm in the what?" I asked.

Pinkie walked towards me and shut the pseudo-door behind her, leaving us in a seamless void once again.

"The no-zone!" Pinkie repeated. "I don't know how to describe it either!"

"That... that's great."

"Or maybe it's like a physical manifestation of the A/N box!"

"Wait, really?" I looked around as if I could find something. "I guess you could call that physical... Where's me?"

"Oh, he's still typing," Pinkie answered. She turned around and opened a door-panel-thing out. "Today's a special day! See ya later!"

Then Pinkie left and shut it beside her.

"... But I don't even know what the hell is going on." I leapt up off of my hooves and started flying forward. I think. "I sure hope I find out."

It was maybe a minute of silence and absolutely nothing happening before I stopped and instead just sat down. "Can anyone tell me, what the hell is going on?!"

<Yeah, it's April 1st here.>

I pursed my lips at the answer, just processing the words. Reality, as in true reality, started flowing back into my consciousness. "So... why all this?"

<I'm stretching out.>

"Stretching out... right. Because you just slept for five hours. So... you are going to actually write stuff later, right? This is a cop-out."

<Yeah, I'll probably be writing something later. A paper, most likely.>

"... Well that sucks.>

<Well, it's a paper about space stuff, but at the same time, I'm shooting little green dudes to space in practically real-time, so I dunno. At least I can say I'm playing a game while doing work.>

"Oh yeah. That explains why you still haven't gotten to the next chapter. Despite S6E3 being tomorrow."

<I'm pretty tired from running a space program around the clock.>

"You actually made me read Read This though?"

<Classic, right?>

"I guess so. Much better than the Don't Click trash."

<Wonder if I can write a pseudo-sequel today and get it to work..."

I shrugged. "Wouldn't be the worst idea. You've already wasted time here. A no-zone for a nothing-thing." I stood up and began aimlessly wandering around. "Could you just get to work on something? I really want new stuff to start happening in my world."

<Crusader chapter is hard. And I might have gone off on a tangent too much. In it, so far.>

"That never stopped any other story." I paused. "Wait, so what'll happen with all of this?"

<Probably mind-wipe. Until A/N boxes, wherein you regain full knowledge of everything. Pinkie was pretty much right, you know.>

"It's not like the A/N box is a physically tangible thing when it occurs anyways. It just 'is'. So are you done with your April Fool's thing yet?"

<I dunno. I had an idea of where this was supposed to go, but I forgot. Or I accomplished it already.>

"Low. Effort."

<Well the fic itself already is fairly insane, so it's not much of a stretch. This is entirely justifiable within the bounds of the story.>

Author's Note:

"That has almost zero bounds itself, due to being a near-meta story. Right. No, seriously, go do something else right now. Work on a fic. Work on a paper. Use that weird dream you had about ponies while taking a nap. Just end this thing."

<I think I just dreamed about one of today's weird-fics.>

"But aren't they all?"

<Well...>

"There's really, really got to be something else you can do other than dragging this out." I'd just noticed that the plane of existence had dimmed.

<Oh yeah, that's right. I've got a circularization burn in two minutes.>

I slapped myself in the face. Ow. Hooves are firm.

Then I figured out what to do. I stood up and opened up a panel-door thing out. "Yeah. Okay. I'm leaving."

<Wait, you can—?—oh come on!"

"Leaving."

I stuck my head back in. "This would make a neat illustration, by the way." I turned around again.

"Back to the narrative."

<... I regret nothing.>