• Published 7th Nov 2013
  • 3,697 Views, 62 Comments

Gentlemen of Fortune - TheHiddenOne



Celestia remembers those men and women she met during her brief stay on Earth after banishing Nightmare Moon. She never expected to fall in love with a certain pirate captain, nor did she expect to meet him again after he died.

  • ...
6
 62
 3,697

Tribute, with a Bottle of Rum

Celestia walked into her bedroom, thoroughly exhausted after a long day of wedding preparations. It was truly exciting, hosting the biggest wedding in recent memory, though she wished her little ponies would catch their breath and relax, instead of getting so wound up over invitations, gold leaf everything, and how large the cake should be. Perhaps she shouldn't be complaining. This was nothing compared to the years after she was forced to banish Luna to the moon.

Her face turned into a frown as she took off her royal garb piece by piece. She had lost sister, and with it, her hope. At the first possible opportunity, she left Equestria, leaving everything behind in an attempt to erase herself from existence. She couldn't deal with the shame anymore! She left her country, her world, behind, and found a place where Princess Celestia did not matter anymore, where she could be someone else entirely, where there was no pain, but happiness.

She found that place in a small (Ponyville-sized) town, full of rouges, scalawags, and pirates.

This place was called Nassau.

Here, Princess Celestia did not exist. Rather, she could be someone else, completely the opposite of herself. She shed her royal decorum, her mantle, her name, even her own form. Here, she could be Anne Bonny, a normal waitress in a seedy bar. Well, as normal as you could get in that time.

She had come there after spending about a month in a small country called Ireland. She was fond of that place, with their loud, boisterous inhabitants, yet friendly and caring at the same time. For Nassau was similar to an Irish bar, complete with the drunken patrons hitting on any barmaid they could lay eyes on.It was there she met the first three of a group of exceptional men and women, devoted to the idea of freedom in every sense of the word, striving to make their own lives as Gentlemen of Fortune who made their peace with death, and spent every day as if it were their last.

First was Benjamin Hornigold, the closest thing to an aristocratic gentleman Nassau ever had. He was respectful, kind-hearted, and it was primarily his ambition that led to Nassau, the “Grand Experiment” he called it. For all his good points, he still held sentiments toward his old home of England, and never raided a British ship. In fact, his longing for his old home, with all of its comforts, was part of the reason he left the pirating life and turned to the Templars, turning his back on the group, what little was left. In this way, Hornigold was almost Celestia’s exact opposite.

The Second was Edward Teach, or Thatch as he liked to be called. He was the oldest of the group, nearing his fifth decade, and was rather laid-back. He was the father-figure of the group, and the wisest, despite being a pirate himself. He was also the one who coined the term “Gentlemen of Fortune” to describe their group. A man with a flair for the theatrical, he would often paint himself as “the Devil hisself!” or something to that regard. He was the first of their company to fall, being killed in battle by a cowardly assault by the British.

Later came Calico Jack Rackham and Charles Vane. Jack, put mildly, was almost always drunk, which hindered his successes as a captain, and somewhat cowardly, while Charles Vane was an animal, ruthless and cruel, though he did have the rare good moment in his life. Vane was eventually marooned on an island, caught by the British, and hanged for piracy. Rackham, however, lasted much shorter than Vane did. Celestia remembered that quite well. While he and the rest of the crew were passed out after a night of drinking, the British came knocking, and it was just herself, Mary Read, and another young lad who barely drank anything. Poor man, he died in the attack.

Speaking of Mary, she was rather unusual for women at the time, pulling what she later called a Sweet Polly Oliver, disguising herself as a man and carried herself as a captain. When the two of them were arrested and convicted of piracy, she was able to stall the execution by claiming they were pregnant. Mary actually was, though Celestia had to perform an illusion on herself to keep the ruse. She died due to complications after childbirth, the death that shook her the hardest.

And who could forget Stede Bonnet? The jolly Englishman never truly was cut out for the pirating life, but he tried his hardest, and his cheery demeanor never failed to brighten her day, much to Vane’s ire (though she secretly believed Vane liked him; it was nearly impossible not to, even for him). He learned all he could about pirating from Thatch, and later captained his own vessel. He was the last to go among their little group.

Of course, none of these people would have met if it were not for one person. Edward Kenway. The charismatic, adventurous young man who made Nassau possible, always saw the good in people, and stuck with every member of their group until the very end. Even Vane and Hornigold, with the former’s descent into madness and the latter’s betrayal of their group, had a place in his heart. She and Edward were the last two remaining of the Gentlemen of Fortune, all the others died one by one. Eventually, the two found comfort in each other, and she married him. They had a son, which they named Haytham, and raised to the best of their ability.

She was with Edward in his final moments, after being impaled by a cowardly Templar’s sword.

“I’m not going to live though the nigh, Anne. You know that.”

“No! I-I won’t lose you… not like I lost everyone else…”

“Anne,” he whispered, cupping her cheek with his hand. “You know I’m not a good man. So driven I was for personal glory that I neglected everyone around me. Thatch, Bonnet, Mary, Vane, Rackham, even Hornigold, for how much I hated him… I can’t help but think that all of that… was my fault.”

“Don’t speak, Edward, save your strength!” She pleaded.

“But then… you entered my life. After everything that happened, all the mistakes I made, all the hurt I caused, you stuck with me, cared for me, even married me.” He chuckled weakly. “For a man who’s done such wrongs, who doesn't deserve this kindness, I can only feel blessed for having someone like you in my life…”

Tears began to run down Celestia’s face. “Edward… don’t… don’t do this. Please, don’t talk!”

Edward slowly wiped a tear away from her eye. “Don’t cry for me, Anne. You made my life worth living. And now, I’m going to be with everyone. Thatch, Hornigold, Rackham, Vane, Bonnet, Mary… all of us. We’ll drink and celebrate, catch up on everything that has happen since we've been apart, and welcome you with open arms when your time comes. So please… don’t cry for me. I’m going to a better place, and I’ll be waiting for you… my quartermaster… my lovely wife…”

With those words, Edward Kenway died in her arms.

Her eyes blurred with tears as she remembered her husband’s dying words oh-so-long ago. With him, the Gentlemen of Fortune was reduced to her, the last surviving member. With Edward gone and Jennifer a grown woman, she had nothing left tying her to Earth, with the possible exception of Haytham, who had been stolen from her and taken to the Templars. Her sorrow overcame her, and nearly took her own life, were it not for another memory, one where Edward found solace in the Assassin’s Creed, and dedicated his remaining life to the service of others.

This memory filled her with self-respect and determination. She would follow her late-husband’s example, no matter how much it hurt her! She used the same spell that sent her to Earth, and traveled back to Equestria, where she announced herself as Princess Celestia, and retook the throne as Princess of Equestria, to much rejoicing and celebration. She has held that post now for over a thousand years.

She never spoke of her time on Earth with anypony, no matter how hard those little fillies tried with their puppy eyes. She had her own way of remembering her long-dead friends. She opened her secret liquor cabinet (for those long days of listening to ponies bicker about the pettiest of subjects) and removed an enchanted bottle of spiced Caribbean Rum, Edward’s favorite. This particular bottle was enchanted so it would never break, and would constantly replenish itself. From the same cabinet she pulled out an old Caribbean tankard, and filled it to the top. The pungent smell of the rum would have sent a normal pony’s nose burning, but Celestia was long accustomed to it.

“To all the Gentlemen of Fortune, living and dead. May your legacy never be forgotten, your memory eternal, and your souls be at peace.” She whispered, lifting the tankard in a toast.

Every time she did this, she swore she could see her friends beside her, standing with her as part of a circle in a huge toast. In unison, they tapped their tankards together and slowly downed the rum. Celestia relished in the taste of the spices on her tongue and the burning of alcohol in her throat. She paused for a few moments, savoring the drink, before corking the bottle of rum and cleaning the tankard, replacing them in her liquor cabinet.

Celestia walked over to her balcony, relishing the cool night breeze against her coat. Looking up at the stars, she saw the faces of her friends, smiling and nodding at her. With a sad smile, she began to sing, the long-forgotten song somehow always making it back to her each night. The wind carried the song throughout the Castle, and even into the borders of the city, letting all who were still awake at this hour to listen in.

I thought I heard the old man say,
“Leave her Johnny, leave her!”
Tomorrow ye will get your pay
And it’s time for us to leave her.

Leave her Johnny, leave her,
Oh, leave her Johnny, leave her,
For the voyage is long, and the winds don’t blow
And it’s time for us to leave her.

Oh, the wind was foul and the sea ran high,
Leave her Johnny, leave her!
She shipped it green and none went by,
And it’s time for us to leave her.

Leave her Johnny, leave her!
Oh, leave her Johnny, leave her!
For the voyage is long and the winds don’t blow,
And it’s time for us to leave her.

I hate to sail on this rotten tub.
Leave her Johnny, leave her!
No grog allowed and rotten grub,
And it’s time for us to leave her.

Leave her Johnny, leave her!
Oh, leave her Johnny, leave her!
For the Voyage is long and the winds don’t blow,
And it’s time for us to leave her.

We swear by rote for want of more.
Leave her Johnny, leave her!
But now we’re through, so we’ll go on shore,
And it’s time for us to leave her.

Leave her Johnny, leave her!
Oh, leave her Johnny, leave her!
For the voyage is long and the winds don’t blow,
And it’s time for us to leave her.

Author's Note:

The lyrics to the "Leave her, Johnny" shanty seen above are actually modified lyrics of the original shanty, I learned after a quick Google search. I do not own either of them, and the modified "Leave her, Johnny" shanty is the property of Ubisoft. Please support the official release.