• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 2,719 Views, 77 Comments

Love Shadowed by Adoration - soothsayer



Spike finds himself miserable while working in Canterlot. While trying to forget his broken heart he mutters wish upon a falling star. Discord overhears the wish and decides to have a little fun.

  • ...
12
 77
 2,719

Three

The mare hid behind her long mane trying to not make eye contact with the purple Pegasus, but she couldn't just leave him there with out saying something.

"Hello... what can I do for you?" she asked, barely above a whisper.

"I was sent here by the housing authority to ask if you were still looking for a roommate," said Valiant, lowly trying his best not to sound intimidating.

The air held a tenseness that was as unyielding as stone as the three creatures all held their tongues. The smell of all the animas that Fluttershy kept wafted out from the cottage and invaded Valliant's nose. It was a musky odor that took some getting used to, but it wasn't too strong because the mare spent so much time caring for her home and all its occupants. It was a constant reminder of her career choice.

"Yes, I'm still looking for a roommate, but I don't have the time right now. Could you maybe come back later?" she said as she turned to head back inside.

Discord smile grew exponentially as the hope died in the purple Pegasus's eyes. Valiant sighed and then started to walk away but something stopped him. There was something more he had to say. Turning back to the door he gave Discord a hard look and then he plastered on his face a warm smile.

"Ma'am, I don't want to bother you or anything I just wanted to know if you would give me a chance to be your roommate. You don't have to say yes; but I would very much like it if you did." He finished as a rabbit hopped into the door way. The rabbit looked the pegasus over and raised his eyebrow.

"Hey there little guy," said Valiant in sweet tone. Angle gave him a look, that said go to hell, before he headed back inside. Discord meanwhile was doing his very best not to laugh as he covered his mouth with his lion like paw.

Fluttershy returned and actually looked at the pegasus who was asking to be her roommate. His eyes glittered like twin emeralds and he didn't look the least bit intimating. His soft features and his entire demeanor didn't really strike her as a pony who would initially try to hurt someponies feelings. She also noticed that he had a wing wrapped up like it was hurt,

"I would like to ask, I mean, if it would be ok, if I asked what happened to your wing."

Discord pursed his lips as he watched his partner in crime start to sweat bullets. Spike wasn't one who was good at lying and the draconequus wanted to see him fail even this simple task.

Looking back at the bandaged wing he tried his best to act like even asking about it hurt. He then sat down and gazed at Fluttershy out of one eye.

"I'm not that good of a flyer. And I'm sort of a bad excuse for a pegasus, I guess. I was flying home after work one day when some kids ran into me. Long story short I fell and broke my wing. It so embarrassing being a pegasus that can't really fly well," he was doing his best trying to on play her sympathies.

"Oh you poor dear," gasped Fluttershy. Discords eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his skull as he watched Fluttershy step forward and wrap the false pegasus in a hug.

"You don't have to be sad. Just because you can't fly very well doesn't make you any less of a pegasi or a pony," she said before she let him go and sat beside him.

Valiant sniffed and looked her way,

"Thank you ma'am I really needed that. And by the way my name is Valiant Ballad."

A flat look crossed Fluttershy's face and Discord raised an eyebrow.

"You said your name was Valiant Ballad?" asked Discord.

Valiant looked up at him and gave him a wink. Discord felt something welling up inside him as he realized that Spike was a shrewd player who had just as many wild cards hidden up his sleeves as the demigod himself had.

"Valiant Ballad as in the writer Valiant Ballad?" Fluttershy and Discord said in unison.

Puffing his chest out Valiant gave them both a confident smile,

"The one and only!"

Fluttershy came completely out of her shell,

"My name is Fluttershy and I love your books!"

He was ushered into her cottage and introduced to all of her animal friends. Discord tried to play nice but things were not boding well with him. So far Spike was playing the game better than he had anticipated. So he decided to let the little scale brain enjoy his win.

"I hate to leave so early but I was just telling Fluttershy that I was leaving for the griffon kingdom with a friend of mine and won't be back for awhile. So it was very nice meeting you." Discord said with practiced grace to Valiant. Turning to Fluttershy he ran his clawed hand through her mane and smiled.

"I'll miss you my dear, Fluttershy. Arrivederci!" he said before he snapped his fingers and disappeared.

Valiant and Fluttershy enjoyed a cup of tea and then headed out together to watch the Running of the Leaves. As they strolled toward their destination Fluttershy looked over at the purple pegasus who was now wearing the fedora and said,

"I still haven't decided, if that's ok with you, about weather or not I would like you to be my roommate."

Valiant tipped his hat with his unbound wing,

"Don't worry Fluttershy. I'm not in any rush so take as much time as you need."

"Well I wanted to get my friends opinion of you before I decided," hiding again behind her mane she looked like she was worried he was going to say something mean, "If that's ok."

Wow Fluttershy is acting so much more out going. Is it because I'm an attractive stallion or does she feel sorry for me. Or is it that she actually likes my writing. The two kept their pace and soon they could make out the crowds gathering for the race. They made small talk as the approached the starting line. Spike spotted Pinkie floating high above the ground in a hot air balloon.

"WELCOME EVERYPONY TO THE ANNUAL RUNNING OF THE LEAVES! PINKIE PIE HERE TO... OH LOOK I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE!" shouted Pinkie from her loudspeaker.

Spike-Valiant looked around trying to spot Rarity but he couldn't see her any where, he did however spot Sweetie Belle and her friends Scootaloo and Apple Bloom. He started to walk over to her to ask where Rarity was but he stopped when he remembered he wasn't the dragon Spike. He was the pegasus Valiant. And a stranger walking up to a little filly could be seen as well, creepy.

"Hey!" Yelled out a voice off to his right. He turned to see a cyan mare with a rainbow mane walking straight towards him. Raising a hoof to his chest he tried to confirm that Rainbow Dash was indeed talking to him

"Yeah you in the hat," Added Dash as she waved for him to come over. Dash was standing beside Fluttershy who was wearing a deep blush.

"Flutters tells me that you new around town and that you want to be her roommate. Is that true?" she asked with bravado.

She watched him nod yes after which she gave Valiant a hard look,

"You're just looking for a roommate right. Your not looking to take of advantage of Fluttershy are you. Because if you are I want you to know that I will buck your teeth out. Oh, and if you don't already know I am Rainbow Dash. The fastest flyer in Equestria and future Wonderbolt. I'll chase you to the ends of the world if you hurt her."

"Look I'm not here to hurt her feelings. She wanted to ask her friends what they thought about me before she decided on letting me be her roommate or not. Oh and I believe that you are the fastest flyer in Equestria." Said Valiant before letting a sly smile cross his lips, "Fastest flyer not fastest runner."

The cocky grin that had formed on her face after being called the fastest flyer was quickly knocked aside as the purple pegasus said she wasn't also the fast runner.

"Oh, so you think you can out run me!" she spat. Her reputation was only the line. Fluttershy flashed Valiant a frightened and confused look. He didn't seem like the type of pony that would more or less challenge her oldest friend to a race.

"Then prove it!" said Dash as she pointed to the races sign up booth. "Better do it fast before the race starts. You've only got three minuets."

Valiant looked back at Fluttershy who was shaking her head no. But he knew that he all had to do for Fluttershy was be nice but Rainbow Dash was a totally different animal. He ran over to the booth and furiously scribbled down his name. He gave the mare, a gray mare with the most beautiful golden eyes, who was running the booth a wide smile and rushed to the starting line.

Squeezing his way between Rainbow Dash and another pony who he knew was named Lyra he flashed a cocky smile at Dash. The orange earth pony on the other side of Dash looked his way.

"Hey Rainbow!" she asked.

"What is it AJ?"

"Who is that stallion beside you?"

"Some blabber mouth who thinks he can beat me in a race." she said as if it was a joke.

There conversation was cut short as Pinkie's voice blasted from above them.

"ON YOUR MARKS! GET SET! NO!" she yelled. More than half the contestants bolted from the line thinking that she said go, including Dash and Applejack.

"BWHA HA HA!" roared Pinkie from above, "I DIDN"T SAY GO I SAID NO YOU SILLY FILLIES!"

She got a mixed reaction from the crowd a little less than half were grumbling at pranking party pony the other half were roaring with laughter. The contestants that left the line returned and Valiant could see that Dash and AJ were among the contestants that were laughing at Pinkie's prank. The set up again and this time Pinkie did it straight,

"GO!"

The sound of hooves striking the ground filled the air with a thunderous sound. Out of force of habit Valiant rose to his hind legs and started to run as fast as he could. Lyra who was now behind him looked on in amazement. Dash looked up at the stallion who was matching her pace while running on his hind legs and just about lost it. His tongue hung out of his mouth and his belly stuck out. He looked like a bear on a treadmill, she thought as she tried not to laugh. AJ on the other hoof just found it plan weird. After another couple of yards the pain in his back forced him to drop down onto all fours. The change in posture cost him his position as Dash raced past him.

The bulk of the racers rounded the first major turn of the race and started to slow down. Three however kept pumping their little legs trying their hardest to win.

"WELL FOLKS LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE ANOTHER APPLEDASH, OOOH THAT WOULD SO MAKE A GREAT NAME FOR A CAKE. THEY'RE NECK AND NECK, AND WHAT THE HECK TO WE HAVE HERE! THEY ARE BEING CLOSELY FOLLOWED BY ANOTHER COMPETITOR! WHY IS IT CALLED A COMPETITION WHEN THERE ARE NO PETS INVOLVED!" rambled pinkie.

"It's a good thing you like to look at my plot because that's all your gonna see from here on out, featherbrain!" shouted AJ as she pulled ahead.

"No way farm pony! I think you should just quit while your ahead." retorted Dash as she tried to catch up.

Valiant pushed himself harder than he had ever done in his life and he was gaining. Above him Discord flew completely invisible waiting for just the right moment. Dash looked over her shoulder to see that the big mouth had almost caught up to her. She shot forward trying to outpace him. Valiant reached out and pulled the earth towards him as he passed Dash and set his eyes on AJ. He raced up along side her giving her a smile as he matched her step for step.

Discord reached out his invisible feathered wing and ran it across AJ's cutie mark. He watched her squirm in embarrassment and then he flew up out of harms way. This was going to be interesting. A blush flooded the farm ponies cheeks as she realized what the purple pegasus had done. And even though horse play wasn't considered sportspony like, she threw caution to the wind and rammed the pegasus in the side.

Valiant struggled to keep his footing, losing precious ground in the process. He watched Dash pass him and then he noticed that two other racers had caught up. Cheerilee and Lyra also passed him by. Just as he found his cadence he looked over to see Caramel, who had come out of nowhere. Caramel flashed him a smile and then said,

"Come on, bud! We can't let these mares win."

Returning the smile he and Caramel raced forward.

"Hey if we work together we have a good chance to win this race!" yelled Caramel.

Looking over at him Valiant heart felt like it was about to explode,

"How?"

"Have you heard of Drafting?" Caramel asked between breaths.

Valiant nodded yes and the two racers became one eight legged racing machine. The passed Lyra by employing the draft sling shot where Caramel would run directly behind Valiant regaining strength in not having to fight against the drag and then when he felt like he could he would race around him with renew energy. They continued until they had also passed Cheerilee. The two of them spotted AJ and Dash not thirty feet ahead. The finish line loomed ahead like a beacon of hope and upon spotting it Caramel yelled,

"EVERY COLT FOR HIMSELF!" Finishing his exclamation with a hardy laugh.

They didn't catch the two mares but they had fun and that was worth it. AJ crossed the finish line first with Dash just behind by a nose. Caramel was at Dash's shoulders and Valiant was at her flank. The ran out their momentum and then returned to the finish line. Soon the other racers crossed the finish line.

Dash and AJ walked over to Valiant who was chatting with Caramel.

"Hey Ah don't know what your playing at but why did you feathermark me?" asked AJ in a raised voice with a blush still desperately hang on to her muzzle.

A blank look crossed Valiant's face,

"I don't know what that is but I didn't do it, Applejack!"

"You sure as Ha..." Cutting herself off AJ gave the pegasus a hard look, "How did you know my name was Applejack?"

Dash moved closer and looked him up and down,

"I thought I knew who you were," said Dash with snarl.

Valiant shifted uncomfortable on his hooves waiting for Dash to out him.

"You're like one of those super secret Trottingham spies that likes to bed mares and just be an all around bad flank. That's why you feathermarked AJ and that's how you know her name." she said in a matter of fact tone.

"Ok first of all I think you read way to many spy novels Rainbow Dash and second I didn't feather tag AJ. I don't even know what the hay feather tagging means. And the only reason I know her name is because her picture is on all of the bottles of Apple Family Cider." said Valiant as he fought the little twitch that his eyes sometimes would make when he was lying.

They're argument was interrupted by Mayormare as she ushered them to the stage to receive their ribbons.

"This isn't over Valiant," spat AJ.

Dash started laughing and pointed to Valiant's head,

"Where is your hat?"