• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 2,719 Views, 77 Comments

Love Shadowed by Adoration - soothsayer



Spike finds himself miserable while working in Canterlot. While trying to forget his broken heart he mutters wish upon a falling star. Discord overhears the wish and decides to have a little fun.

  • ...
12
 77
 2,719

Two

"Ugh..." moaned Spike as he shifted in what he assumed to be a bed.

"Don't move too much sir" said the white and purple unicorn who was hovering over him with a worried look in her eyes. She wasn't Rarity. The white coated Unicorn had a mane cut very similar to Twilights and her mane was striped white and purple. Her blue eyes were soft and warm. He knew this mare and he was silently happy that she was the one caring for him.

"Mrs. Velvet," he muttered his voice still peppery and hoarse from vomiting earlier. His breath crashed into her face and it twisted into one of disgust but that was over shadowed by the look of surprise that took the stage.

"Who are you and how do you know me?"

The gears in Spikes head went into overdrive as he tried to come up with a logical reason for how he knew her. The muscles in his face and neck became taut as he started to go into full out panic mode. It came to him in flash of insight.

"You don't know me but I know your Mrs. Velvet," Spike raised up in the bed holding a hoof to his head, "You are one of my favorite authors."

Blushing she backed away, "I'm not all that great."

"Not all that great!" he said as he dropped to his hooves, "For the age demographic you write for you are one of the best." Spotting his saddle bags he walked over to it and started to pull out a book. Just before it came free of the bag he noticed the cover, "Penthorse Magazine". Pushing it back down in his bags he curse Discord for giving him something like that as reading material. Hoping his blush would be taken as a blush of embarrassment he turned back to Twilight Velvet.

"Well it seems I am away from home with out one of my favorite books. Oh well." Velvet blinked at him in confusion. "Look ma'am, I love your books especially the second one about the love triangle between the main character Belle Swanlake, the werepony Corncob Black , and the love of her life the vanpony, Ward Sullen."

Velvet glowed at the compliment on her works. She wasn't the type the liked to do public appearances but when a lone fan spotted her and told her how much they enjoyed her books she always felt like that alone was more than worth it.

"I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything, please," said Spike with a smile, "Oh, and thanks for helping me get on the train."

"I only did what anypony would do," Said Velvet with a smile.

The sound of paper crumbling caught Spikes attention so he turned to the only other pony in the room. The dark blue stallion was folding his newspaper and had cast a wary eye on him,

"I'm glad you are a fan of my wife's works but you still haven't answered her other question," Leaning forward the stallion raised an eye brow, "Who are you?"

Sweat poured off of Spike brow as he wracked his brain for a good alias. I'm an author too. I may not be as highly esteemed as Twilight Velvet but I am an author. I can use my pen name. Yeah, and acting as my alter ego I can generate some publicity for my works.

"My name is Valiant Ballad!" he said with a bow. "And it is an honor to meet the esteemed writer Twilight Velvet and her husband Dr. Night Light Sparkle."

Velvet looked at Valiant with a hint of recognition in her eyes. She had heard that name before but she couldn't place it. Night's face took on a rosy glow. He knew Valiant works intimately but he couldn't just blab about his secret indulgence. Valiant was a writer. Valiant had written two of the best love stories ever written and the real kicker was that they were stories that a stallion could relate too. But romance novels were romance novels and a stallion would have to be a fool to admit publicly that he liked them.

"Oh!" shouted Velvet as she recognized the name, "You're a romance author. Yes that's it. You write those books that my husband doesn't like me knowing that he reads."

Night sunk in his seat and turned to look out the window. If the lights were out at that very moment Night Light would have done a very good impression of his name sake.

Valiant-Spike turned to look at the blushing beast. After pawing the floor he had to ask, "What do you think of my novels, Dr. Night?"

He didn't want to be there. This was far to embarrassing than anything he had ever been subject to before. This was even worse than the time a lady bug landed on the observatories telescopic lenses and he thought it was a asteroid. That was bad. He freaked out and started yelling the end was near. But this was infinitely worse.

"I... um... I thought they were," he muttered. Screw it. "The way you portray your male characters is nothing short of fantastic. So many authors portray stallions as sex objects with emotionally shallow personalities but you make them so deep and complex. They aren't looking for some mare to please they are looking for a mare to compliment their personalities. They are looking for a soul mate. And in todays fast pace world it so refreshing to see a romance bloom over time," he stammered on.

Valiant beamed proudly.

"So, Mr. Ballad where are you headed?" asked Velvet as she took a seat.

"Ponyville actually." he answered as he tried to stifle a yawn.

"Us too," replied Velvet excitedly as her eyes fell on her husband, "Were going to visit our daughter, Twilight Sparkle."

"Twilight Sparkle as in Princess Twilight Sparkle!" Spike feigned excitement.

"Yes!" squealed Velvet, "You know you seem to be my daughters type maybe I could introduce you."

"Type?" repeated Valiant.

"Yes, as in you're what she tells me she is looking for in a stallion."

His eyes drew back to the size of pin pricks. This was something he hadn't thought about. As a stallion he might have to face the advances of mares other that Rarity. He gagged at the thought of Twilight flirting with him. That would just be weird. He had to change the subject,

"I'll think about it but for now I'm tried so I'll bid you goodnight." he said as he walked towards the door.

"Goodnight and nice to meet you," the couple said in unison. He quickly found his seat and no sooner than his plot hit it he was out like a light.


After saying goodbye to the Sparkles he headed out to Ponyville's only hotel, The Hayloft. The name didn't do the grand sized hotel any justice. The only thing about the hotel that even hinted at a rustic origin was that it was stylized after a barn. A five story barn complete with red paint and white trim. After passing through the buildings double stable doors he walked up to the reception counter. The blue eyed hotel clerk gave him a big smile as he approached,

"Welcome Ponyville, Stranger!"

"Thank you, Mat...ma'am." Valiant stammered.

The donkey blinked at him and then gave him a half smile,

"I'm sorry sir but with the Running of the Leaves tomorrow we are already booked,"

"Already booked!" shrilled Valiant.

"Again I'm sorry about not having a room for you," she apologized.

"Its alright," I've got a bed roll I'll just find a nice quiet spot to bed down for tonight. I'm sure after the running of the leaves something will open up." he grumbled.

"No Sir!" she almost shouted.

Shocked by her sudden outburst he gave her a wide eyed look.

"I will not have a gentlecolt like yourself roughing it when I have a perfectly good sofa for you to sleep on," she said as she approached him.

Raising a hoof Valiant shook a hoof at her, "I can't do that. My honor will not allow me to take advantage of your hospitality."

"Nonsense, sugar-hoof. Come on and you follow your aunty Matilda. I was just about to leave anyway." she said as she made for the door.

"Wait! What about the hotel?"

"Don't you wore about a thing, sugar plum. I got me a fine young mare sitting in the back room named Amethysts Star who can wait on any of our patrons if they come a calling." As if on cue a light purple coated unicorn walked out of the room behind the counter with sleepy eyes.

"Aren't you gone yet, Mrs. Matilda?" she yawned. Her eyes fell on the purple pegasus and her entire demeanor changed. After playing with her hair she batted her eyelashes at Valiant,

"Who are you and why haven't we met," she said in a husky voice.

Blushing Valiant raised a hoof and started to scratch the back of his head.

"Yes dear," Matilda said as she turned to the pegasus, "I don't believe I caught your name."

"Uh... my name is s... Sir Valiant Ballad." I muttered.

"Oh my gosh!" squealed Amethysts, "He's a knight!" Jumping over the table she ran toward Spike and held out a hoof, "My name is Miss Amethysts Star. And I am delighted to meet you." He looked down and then back up. Irritation crept into the unicorns face,

"Ahem."

Oh right! I'm supposed to kiss her hoof. Duh that is totally what a knight would do. Taking her hoof in his he planted a gentle kiss it and gave her a confident smile,

"Charmed, I'm sure!" he said as he released her hoof. Blushing profusely she ran back to the counter and back into the room with a squee.

Sighing he turned to Matilda who also had her hoof held up. This is going to be much tougher than I thought. And I haven't even gotten to meeting the girls yet. ugh.. .

After going through the ritual with Matilda she showed him to her place. And after a once over with her husband, a middle aged donkey named Cranky Doodle, a much needed shower and teeth scrubbing he was finally on the aforementioned couch trying to get to sleep.


His host got him up fairly early for some breakfast. How and why anypony could get up and function before eight was beyond him. This fact made worse by him not getting to sleep until after two. They fixed a delightful breakfast and allowed him to leave.

Ponyville was busy. The fall air was cool and all of the ponies were out too enjoy the beautiful weather. Most of the towns residence were gear up for the midday run that was the annual Running of the Leaves. Spike didn't want to have anything to do with the even. After talking to Matilda he quickly deduced that staying in the hotel for any amount of time was going to be more than he could afford so he was doing the only logical thing, job and house hunting.

He was talking with Mr. Davenport about a job opening when a bouncy pink mare was walking down the street towards them. The sight of her caused him to loose track of the conversation with the brown coated stallion. Ok, Spike play it cool. All she will do is walk up too you and introduce herself and act generally Pinkie'ish. You can do this! Pinkie Pie walked passed the purple pegasus without even looking at him. Spike's mouth dropped open. Since when did Pinkie not get exited at the prospect of meeting a new pony.

"Excuse me Mr. Ballad were you even listening to me?" said Mr. Davenport sternly as he poked Spike in the chest.

The sudden touch broke Valient from his inner dialogue and he looked back to the proprietor of Quills and Sofas.

"Uh... he... he.. what did you say?"

The earth pony closed his eyes and shook his head,

"I don't need somepony like you, sir. I'm sure you're a fine stallion but I can't have a stallion who gets googly eyed every time he sees a mare with a nice plot. So I wish you the best of luck on your job hunt. Good day!" he said as he walked back into his shop.

"Wait I can expl-" Valliant's plea was cut short as the door was slammed behind the earth pony. This is just great. The only job opening on the bulletin board and I fail the interview because I got distracted by Pinkie not acting like Pinkie. With the job hunting a bust he decided to move on to his next order of business.

The mayors office was more or less empty. Most of the ponies who worked in the town hall were off to run or administer the race. Thankfully the mare who ran the housing authority wasn't one of them. The mare was had an orangish coat and tall red mane.

"Can I help you?" she asked flatly.

She didn't look like she enjoyed being there so Valiant decided to be quick about it,

"I'm looking for someplace to stay for a while. I'll take anything as long as its cheep."

Leaving the table she walled over to the large filing cabinet behind her and started too look through the files.

"We have many residences who are looking for a roommate. Would you be ok with sharing a home with somepony else?"

Sitting down Spike thought about it for a moment,

"That would be fine," he answered a short time later.

The mare pulled out a hoof-full of files and returned to her desk. Her stiff motions almost looked mechanical as she sifted through the files.

"Usually we like to pair roommates up that are the same gender. It's less awkward than having a mix gendered house and it doesn't cause as many problems. But if you haven't noticed the stallion to mare ration is very disproportionate here in Ponyville so exceptions have to be made. Are you ok with having a mare as a roommate?" she droned on.

"Ma'am I was raised in a house hold with only mares. So, having mare as a roommate is not only fine its great." answered Valiant with a smile.

"Ok, well look through these files and see if any place or pony jumps out at you," added the bureaucrat.

After scooping up the files he started to look them over. About three files in he came across a file that was more shocking than anything. No way! This is perfect. If I can befriend her in this form. I can do anything. .

"I think I found a prospect!" he said as he handed the file over to the mare. She looked it over and then looked back at him.

"We have sent three different ponies to her and she sent them all back. She is a very hard case are you sure you wouldn't like to try somepony else?"

"Nope, I've made up my mind," he said with surety.

"Ok, then! Take these documents with you and get her to sign off on them and then return them here with in the week," she said holding out the documents.

Valiant scooped up the documents and made a bee line for the door.

"Oh and sir!" the mare said catching the pegasus before he left.

"Good luck!"

Valiant made haste and soon found himself outside of the mares house. It was a beautiful little cottage just off the beaten path. The mare inside had meticulously tended to the little flower and produce garden that bordered the house on three sides. Walking up the door he knocked three times. Several bumps and thumps came from somewhere inside and the door slowly opened.

A cute little face peaked from around the door. The pink manned mare looked to be trying her best at giving him a polite smile but it seemed manufactured. Above her hung the head of Discord. Recognizing the purple pegasus his lips curled into a outrageous grin.

"Fluttershy we seem to have a guest!"